Anyone willing to Mod their Prime back for WiFi fix

Search This thread

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
This last weekend I was fustrated while vacationing when my Prime could not hold onto the hotel WiFi connection because of the distance to the router, yet my HD2 phone had no problems. This was the first time poor Wifi affected me. That got me thinking....

Looking at the fix made to the T700 to improve Wifi signal (and GPS), why couldn't a similar DIY mod be done to an existing Prime's back? I dont think cutting a slice off the top of the aluminum back is a doable option, but what about just cutting or drilling a large hole over the antennas, and filling in the hole with plastic or epoxy. This could look similar to the black oval plastic "wifi window" on the 3rd generation iPod Touch.

I'm thinking of trying this but wanted some input from others before trying. I looked at the other hardware mod thread here, but that concentrated on adding external antennas. According to that thread, once you removed the back, Wifi improved dramatically.

Last edited:

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I think this was discussed before..but if you are feeling brave enough, let us know how it turns out man :)

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
This idea has been talked about in great length, but general consensus was that it would be too difficult to add a plastic window to the back of the Prime, because all of the hardware physically attaches to the aluminum back plate of the Prime.

You you be voiding your warranty by taking the device apart. And there is a very good chance you would render the device 100% non-working while doing the mod.

If the WiFi really doesn't meet your needs, return the tablet.

Axe-08

Aug 9, 2010
MO
I'm glad I sent mine in to get it fixed, I am getting mine back tomorrow and that will make 10 days. I figured they would be pretty quick at fixing the wifi by now

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
If the WiFi really doesn't meet your needs, return the tablet.

Sorry, but this is not an option for a second hand Prime with an unlocked bootloader.

I'll have to take another look at the tear down pictures and video to get a feel of the space between the electronics connected to the back and the back itself. I have no fear of eventually opening up my Prime as I have opened up many phones in the past.

mardukeme

Oct 2, 2006
Newington
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I had the same problem while on vacation in Mexico, my HTC Eco 3d picked up the hotels wifi no problem but my Asus didn't. I'm so happy I picked up a Asus WL-330N3G portable wifi router based on someone suggestion here, I wouldn't been able to work without.

Basically placed the portable router where I had the strongest signal in the room, and was able to use my prime anywhere in the room. An on top of it the router is very small, and can be powered by a USB port as well. As a bonus I use it as a gaming adapter for my ps3 when I'm home.

I think getting a portable router is a lot easier option then modding the back of the Prime.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

David522d

May 9, 2010
I'm glad I sent mine in to get it fixed, I am getting mine back tomorrow and that will make 10 days. I figured they would be pretty quick at fixing the wifi by now

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Make a thread tomorrow when you get it back. And tell US if it improved.
Seriously .

indie13

Jun 17, 2010
ive said this before but could another idea be wait for the 700 to come out and then wait for some inner photos to be taken. If they look similar to the prime then could we not just try and buy a 700 backplate and try and fix it to the prime?

I. I'm so happy I picked up a Asus WL-330N3G portable wifi router based on someone suggestion here, I wouldn't been able to work without.

Where did you get it from? My wifi signal in my bedroom is terrible and moving the router doesn't seem to be an option

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Eliad Kimhy

May 12, 2012
What about drilling small holes in the area where the wifi antenna is, creating a sort of a mesh? Could be very easily done with a drill with a small enough head by very carefully and slowly drilling into the aluminum.

I don't know if that would improve the wifi signal, but it is doable.

Might want to consider one thing though- People have been getting different wifi and GPS readings on unmodded primes, meaning that the problem is not necessarily the aluminum cover, but rather the quality of construction, components, etc.

willumpie82

Apr 27, 2005
www.willumpie.nl
What about drilling small holes in the area where the wifi antenna is, creating a sort of a mesh? Could be very easily done with a drill with a small enough head by very carefully and slowly drilling into the aluminum.

I don't know if that would improve the wifi signal, but it is doable.

Might want to consider one thing though- People have been getting different wifi and GPS readings on unmodded primes, meaning that the problem is not necessarily the aluminum cover, but rather the quality of construction, components, etc.

I'm sorry, Faradays law says this will not work, for RF, mesh or solid is the same.

The contact area of the pingions on the motherboard to the antenna are realy tiny,I think replacing the pingions on the mainboard for small coax will improve, The wifi chip is at the other end of the tablet, the signals have to cross the entire device. I even saw they route the wifi signal trough a series of PCB trace and cables to the place where they connect to the antenna. I think replacing these connections by new a cable with at one end an MMCX and the other end solderd to the antenna, will improve the reception.

mardukeme

Oct 2, 2006
Newington
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5

MK17

Jun 13, 2010
The other thread linked in the original post has all information regarding this topic.

• Creating something like the 700 would be basically too complicated (though never impossible)
  • We won't know if the 700 back plate will match up until it is released (i doubt it is worth the work)
  • The external antenna works wonders, and can be made "removable"
  • A simple wire from the pogo pin that is isolated from the glass/aluminum will increase connectivity

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
I've read through both of those threads, the one I posted and the second one posted above. Unfortunately they both went the route of replacing the existing antennas with wires or external connections. The closest one to my idea was this:

Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load
Really though, in the end, it seems if someone wanted to get really hardcore, they could dremel a slice out of the back that is tall yet narrow, go to home depot and get some plexiglass, sand it down to obscure the view into the device, and epoxy that in place and place the wire into that as a window. Totally possible IF you wanted to kick it up a few levels now that the hard work is done and shows an antenna wire can hep. Essentially steal Apples' idea but keep it simple and make it home grown.

Like I said, slicing off the top of the back and covering it with plexiglass is probably too much. I'm thinking more like just a hole, over the existing antennas, covering it with epoxy, and making a Wifi Window like that on an iPod Touch:

Attachments

• iPodTouch.JPG
    iPodTouch.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
i just had a great idea. Based off what the linked thread was earlier,
tfp.png

It would be a handle on both sides, makes your TFP like a briefcase and eliminate the ugly/bulky antennas. Of course it won't be as powerful, but this would let us put antennas in the handle and increase reception. of course, it would require holes to be drilled in the back, but we can easily stick that on (and it would be very strong). It can be easily created with fiberglass, a color could easily be created and the brush strokes could be done as well. and a little gloss could be added after we have painted/added the brush strokes and get pretty close

Last edited:

Erusman

Aug 21, 2011
Yakima, WA
i just had a great idea. Based off what the linked thread was earlier,
tfp.png

It would be a handle on both sides, makes your TFP like a briefcase and eliminate the ugly/bulky antennas. Of course it won't be as powerful, but this would let us put antennas in the handle and increase reception. of course, it would require holes to be drilled in the back, but we can easily stick that on (and it would be very strong). It can be easily created with fiberglass, a color could easily be created and the brush strokes could be done as well. and a little gloss could be added after we have painted/added the brush strokes and get pretty close

Very nice design ;) The handle is a great idea. All you need to do is run some wires through the handle. That is all my WIFI attached antenna are doing in my "Optimus Prime" mod. As long as you get the wires away and above the metal backplate your in business. You can check out my link in thread for the original mod. GL m8

Here is pic of two wires coming from WIFI pogo pins. Raised out and above
the metal backplate. All you would need to do is run wires through a nice handle and you will get amazing wifi or GPS.
Strawmethod.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hold off on Modding the back of your prime. There may or may not be a new developement announcement on this issue. That's all I can say here.

@Erusman, e.mote or anyone else that knows about antennae attenuation and how it affects reception, please pm me asap.
    Good to hear Asus is looking at the USB wifi option.

Re: Antenna perf - It's not a secret, so I'll just post it here as a reply. Wifi signal tends to be vertically polarized (v-pol), as mismatched pol loses about 3dB, or 50% sig strength. For a USB wifi adapter, it means you want to get it vertical for best reception.

Two ways to do that: Get an adapter w/ removable ant, or a USB cradle (or both). A USB cradle/extension is $3 on eBay, and is also good in that you can move the adapter around for best reception. You can also use dual-band 2.4/5GHz adapters, like the DLink below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-WIFI-adapter-Usb-Extension-Cable-w-Stand-Base-/180679308028

28ip107.jpg

Wifi adapter w/ removable ant is good w/ directional ants for long-range pickups. Below is a homemade cantenna w/ a 30-deg(?) arc, and a commercial 12dBi ant w/ 60-deg coverage arc.

10frl6r.jpg

This sounds good. But I'm not necessarily talking about a USB wifi adapter. Something I found out. I have to get ready to go to work now so can jump into details. But possibly a solution within the prime itself. Nothing external needed. Of course a USB adapter would give best performance but I'm sure people are still hoping for a solution without need to mod or use an external adapter. Which may be possible based on what I've just recently learned from them. Ill pm people later or once I get off work on details of it. To see your thoughts on it.

Thanks for this info though.
    hold off on Modding the back of your prime. There may or may not be a new developement announcement on this issue. That's all I can say here.

@Erusman, e.mote or anyone else that knows about antennae attenuation and how it affects reception, please pm me asap.

ooooh thats a teasing post right there :D

Not really a tease, There may or may not be a new development.. I may or may not die tomorrow, I may or may not win the lotto tomorrow, The end of the world may or may not be next week. Of course there may or may not be a new development.. that's obvious because those are the only two possibilities there are. lol Now, what the chances are in favor of the "may be" a new development happening over "may not be" is a better question. My money is on "may not be".. lol