[ONE-CLICK] Automated Freedom-Boot and TWRP installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
INTRODUCING TWEEZERMOD INSTALLER
Not for the new bootloader. Make sure you are on the old bootloader.
There are two ways to use Tweezermod now!
-Desktop Version
-Cordless version (Directly from the Kindle itself!)

**WARNING**
YOU MUST HAVE ROOT ALREADY ON YOUR KINDLE FIRE 2
Just because this does not require a fastboot cable, does not mean you should not have one! Please know that there is always a chance for things to go wrong when you modify your device, and the only sure-fire way to fix things is with a fastboot cable!

Info

Tweezermod installer is an application including freedom-boot.img and TWRP for KF2. It runs a script.sh written by me, and derived from my desktop script, which was in turn derived from my method of getting CM10.1 on my own KF2 without a fastboot cable.

This package will automatically install the freedom-boot bootimage and TWRP recovery built by Hashcode.

I have tested this myself multiple times, and it is based on the method that I used the first time I installed CM10.1 prerelease on my KF2.

Installation

Desktop
Instructions:

1. Download
  2. Unzip
  3. Run the runme.sh or .bat depending on your operating system
  4. Profit

Download:MOD EDIT LINK REMOVED

Cordless (APK)
Instructions:
  1. Download
  2. Install on your KF2
  3. Open Tweezermod Installer
  4. Press install
  5. Grant su access
  6. Profit

Download:MOD EDITcom.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk - 10.48 MB
MD5:add2c3cb1aa1e80dfa0644ea06207a0d

If all goes well, you will see a switch from the orange Kindle Fire bootlogo to a blue one with a menu at the bottom!

Additional Info

• This method uses dd to write the recovery and boot partitions, so no fastboot driver needed on windows.
  • If necessary, you may need to grant superuser access to adb. (You will see the superuser popup on your Kindle)
  • Some linux users may need to run the .sh as root.

Roms
You may have done everything here successfully at this point, BUT you will still need to choose and install a ROM. Here are the two out so far to choose from. Both have guides with them on how to install.

Powerpoint45's MooRom (With SGT7!)
Hashcode's CM10.1 Base ROM

Disclaimer:
This package comes with no warranty, nor do you have the right to sue me or my affiliates because something went wrong, and you have a brick.
If you modify this script, and you end up with a brick, I will advise everyone not to help you with your idiocy.
You are welcome to reproduce this package in its entirety, not in bits and pieces.
I did not make nor do I own the rights to the kernel or the recovery in the package.

Support:
Support for this package is offered 25/8 (whenever I'm online) either on this thread, or better yet, on freenode irc #kf2-dev
For in thread support that requires the output of the script, please use pastebin.com to post the output, and post a link to it here.

Credits:
Hashcode -- CM10.1 for KF2, Freedom-Boot, TWRP for KF2
Powerpoint45 -- Tablet UI rom for kf2, Primary tester for Hashcode, wrote and compiled tweezermod installer
FMKilo -- Figured out how to get to fastboot without a cable, Wrote cableless script, script for tweezermod installer(I commissioned him)

Special Thanks:
MisterSir69 -- Alerted me to the brick created by Desktop Script V1
DiscoGecko -- discovered the problem with and helped fix Desktop Script V4 on windows
iytrix -- Did this fancy pants layout for all the info stuff

FAQ:
Q: Why the name Tweezermod?
A: Tweezermod is a reference to the first fastboot cable I used. it was just an opened up cable, with a wire spliced into pin one. I used a pair of tweezers to contact pin 4, the one that sends the device into fastboot. Pin 4 is ironic because issuing the command idme bootmode 4 from an elevated terminal or adb shell will send the device into fastboot mode upon reboot. The only way to get out of fastboot after this is by issuing the command, fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 1, which reboots to system upon fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot(perhaps it is ironic in the opposite way).
The name Tweezermod is ironic in the fact that you never go to fastboot whilst installing cm by the use of the .apk or the Desktop Script.

Last edited by a moderator:

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Old Versions
Old versions are only included so you can examine them and see what exactly was changed. Please always use the current version linked in the first post.
Desktop Script
V1:BRICK WARNING DO NOT USE!
MD5: fa65668bd268d48ca1c0e563fdf07169
V2:KF2CM10.zip - 10.30 MB
MD5:4156e28006386b6c96c9190abf071b80
V3:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
MD5:25a01c57280af427091924ebe365d0ef
V4:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
MD5:e3d5aecfa2f563ded5e7bcbd3b132a7e
V5:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
MD5:c1b7703ffe1b15eeac70bbfb265646ae
V6:KF2CM10.zip - 11.24 MB
MD5:aa2b4da68fcb6f8e77ef5fc391ef30ca

Tweezermod Installer
V1:AlienBox (2).apk - 10.45 MB
MD5:ead9d23cd12e877c267adf19c243d3ae
V2:Tweezermod_Installer.apk
MD5sum: 4f2f6c805e4d28476b409a8b30fe16ca
V3:Tweezermod_Installer2.apk - 10.47 MB
MD5:1e7b518f0ad0c9d4c133cc2acd388d23
V4:com.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk - 10.48 MB

Changelog

Desktop Script
V1: Bricks(if you don't want them, throw them through my window, I can fix it...)
V2: No longer tries to create stack using adb shell, stack is now included in the archive.
V3: Adb now included for those of you who did not modify your $PATH. Also added @echo off to .bat and rearranged archive
V4: Removes install-recovery.sh and recovery image in the system partition of the stock rom.
V5: Fixed for windows. No update for linux users.
V6: Added new freedom-boot.img, now with fastboot in secondary bootloader. No need for -i 0x1949 flag.

Tweezermod Installer
V1: Actually works, in launcher, it is named Main Activity launch and grant access.
V2: Tweezermod Installer. Install this apk on your kindle fire2 press install and no profit from a system rom that won't delete twrp, secondary bootloader, and a fully functional twrp. (Roms not included.) APK by powerpoint45, script inside by me.
V3: Fixed the directory issue within V2, should work now.
V4:Added new freedom-boot.img, now with fastboot in secondary bootloader. No need for -i 0x1949 flag.

This package will be updated if any changes are made to the freedom-boot or TWRP recovery by Hashcode.

I AM OFFICIALLY DONE TRYING TO HELP ANYONE WHO USES KFU ON THEIR KF2, DO THE RESEARCH FIRST, THEN ATTEMPT THE MOD.

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
i got this to work, but i had to run the script multiple times to finally boot into recovery. the first time i ran it the bootloader just said "booting..." forever and never booted into recovery. the second time i ran it, it booted right into recovery, but when i loaded .zips to flash and tried to boot back into recovery i just got "booting..." forever again, so i ran the script a third time and was able to boot into recovery to flash a new rom. either way, it works and you're awesome. thanks a lot.

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
i got this to work, but i had to run the script multiple times to finally boot into recovery. the first time i ran it the bootloader just said "booting..." forever and never booted into recovery. the second time i ran it, it booted right into recovery, but when i loaded .zips to flash and tried to boot back into recovery i just got "booting..." forever again, so i ran the script a third time and was able to boot into recovery to flash a new rom. either way, it works and you're awesome. thanks a lot.

Hashcode is addressing the issues with the booting into the twrp

Reactions: 755 and mindmajick

dannyling

Apr 15, 2010
Good news some questions first do i need root from the start i have a fresh new kindle and i just need standard cable and the programme and new rom seems to root is a bit harder than my mobiles

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Good news some questions first do i need root from the start i have a fresh new kindle and i just need standard cable and the programme and new rom seems to root is a bit harder than my mobiles

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

you need to use the root with restore method and the qemu root method to root this device first, then come back here.

Reactions: mindmajick

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Hashcode is addressing the issues with the booting into the twrp

turns out, most of the problems with booting into twrp were actually people letting their devices boot stock os, without anyone realizing that there was an install-recovery.sh that would break twrp. This has been fixed in the latest version of computer one click and also tweezermod_installer.apk

Reactions: mindmajick
turns out, most of the problems with booting into twrp were actually people letting their devices boot stock os, without anyone realizing that there was an install-recovery.sh that would break twrp. This has been fixed in the latest version of computer one click and also tweezermod_installer.apk

Great, so how do I know it worked and how do I boot into recovery?

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Installed the apk and ran it, but nothing seems to be changed..when i su reboot recovery it doesnt boot into twrp..

Does you get an orange or blue kindle fire logo when you boot.?

Edit: Just tried this myself. Not tried installing the recovery or modded boot before, and I'm not seeing a blue kindle fire logo.

The latest apk doesn't seem to work yet.

Sent using my Jelly Atrix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INTRODUCING TWEEZERMOD INSTALLER
    Not for the new bootloader. Make sure you are on the old bootloader.
    There are two ways to use Tweezermod now!
    -Desktop Version
    -Cordless version (Directly from the Kindle itself!)

**WARNING**
    YOU MUST HAVE ROOT ALREADY ON YOUR KINDLE FIRE 2
    Just because this does not require a fastboot cable, does not mean you should not have one! Please know that there is always a chance for things to go wrong when you modify your device, and the only sure-fire way to fix things is with a fastboot cable!

Info

Tweezermod installer is an application including freedom-boot.img and TWRP for KF2. It runs a script.sh written by me, and derived from my desktop script, which was in turn derived from my method of getting CM10.1 on my own KF2 without a fastboot cable.

This package will automatically install the freedom-boot bootimage and TWRP recovery built by Hashcode.

I have tested this myself multiple times, and it is based on the method that I used the first time I installed CM10.1 prerelease on my KF2.

Installation

Desktop
    Instructions:

1. Download
    2. Unzip
    3. Run the runme.sh or .bat depending on your operating system
    4. Profit

Download:MOD EDIT LINK REMOVED

Cordless (APK)
    Instructions:
    1. Download
    2. Install on your KF2
    3. Open Tweezermod Installer
    4. Press install
    5. Grant su access
    6. Profit

Download:MOD EDITcom.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk - 10.48 MB

If all goes well, you will see a switch from the orange Kindle Fire bootlogo to a blue one with a menu at the bottom!

Additional Info

• This method uses dd to write the recovery and boot partitions, so no fastboot driver needed on windows.
    • If necessary, you may need to grant superuser access to adb. (You will see the superuser popup on your Kindle)
    • Some linux users may need to run the .sh as root.

Roms
    You may have done everything here successfully at this point, BUT you will still need to choose and install a ROM. Here are the two out so far to choose from. Both have guides with them on how to install.

Powerpoint45's MooRom (With SGT7!)
    Hashcode's CM10.1 Base ROM

Disclaimer:
    This package comes with no warranty, nor do you have the right to sue me or my affiliates because something went wrong, and you have a brick.
    If you modify this script, and you end up with a brick, I will advise everyone not to help you with your idiocy.
    You are welcome to reproduce this package in its entirety, not in bits and pieces.
    I did not make nor do I own the rights to the kernel or the recovery in the package.

Support:
    Support for this package is offered 25/8 (whenever I'm online) either on this thread, or better yet, on freenode irc #kf2-dev
    For in thread support that requires the output of the script, please use pastebin.com to post the output, and post a link to it here.

Credits:
    Hashcode -- CM10.1 for KF2, Freedom-Boot, TWRP for KF2
    Powerpoint45 -- Tablet UI rom for kf2, Primary tester for Hashcode, wrote and compiled tweezermod installer
    FMKilo -- Figured out how to get to fastboot without a cable, Wrote cableless script, script for tweezermod installer(I commissioned him)

Special Thanks:
    MisterSir69 -- Alerted me to the brick created by Desktop Script V1
    DiscoGecko -- discovered the problem with and helped fix Desktop Script V4 on windows
    iytrix -- Did this fancy pants layout for all the info stuff

FAQ:
    Q: Why the name Tweezermod?
    A: Tweezermod is a reference to the first fastboot cable I used. it was just an opened up cable, with a wire spliced into pin one. I used a pair of tweezers to contact pin 4, the one that sends the device into fastboot. Pin 4 is ironic because issuing the command idme bootmode 4 from an elevated terminal or adb shell will send the device into fastboot mode upon reboot. The only way to get out of fastboot after this is by issuing the command, fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 1, which reboots to system upon fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot(perhaps it is ironic in the opposite way).
    The name Tweezermod is ironic in the fact that you never go to fastboot whilst installing cm by the use of the .apk or the Desktop Script.
    Old Versions
    Old versions are only included so you can examine them and see what exactly was changed. Please always use the current version linked in the first post.
    Desktop Script
    V1:BRICK WARNING DO NOT USE!
    MD5: fa65668bd268d48ca1c0e563fdf07169
    V2:KF2CM10.zip - 10.30 MB
    MD5:4156e28006386b6c96c9190abf071b80
    V3:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
    MD5:25a01c57280af427091924ebe365d0ef
    V4:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
    MD5:e3d5aecfa2f563ded5e7bcbd3b132a7e
    V5:KF2CM10.zip - 11.23 MB
    MD5:c1b7703ffe1b15eeac70bbfb265646ae
    V6:KF2CM10.zip - 11.24 MB
    MD5:aa2b4da68fcb6f8e77ef5fc391ef30ca

Tweezermod Installer
    V1:AlienBox (2).apk - 10.45 MB
    MD5:ead9d23cd12e877c267adf19c243d3ae
    V2:Tweezermod_Installer.apk
    MD5sum: 4f2f6c805e4d28476b409a8b30fe16ca
    V3:Tweezermod_Installer2.apk - 10.47 MB
    MD5:1e7b518f0ad0c9d4c133cc2acd388d23
    V4:com.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk - 10.48 MB

Changelog

Desktop Script
    V1: Bricks(if you don't want them, throw them through my window, I can fix it...)
    V2: No longer tries to create stack using adb shell, stack is now included in the archive.
    V3: Adb now included for those of you who did not modify your $PATH. Also added @echo off to .bat and rearranged archive
    V4: Removes install-recovery.sh and recovery image in the system partition of the stock rom.
    V5: Fixed for windows. No update for linux users.
    V6: Added new freedom-boot.img, now with fastboot in secondary bootloader. No need for -i 0x1949 flag.

Tweezermod Installer
    V1: Actually works, in launcher, it is named Main Activity launch and grant access.
    V2: Tweezermod Installer. Install this apk on your kindle fire2 press install and no profit from a system rom that won't delete twrp, secondary bootloader, and a fully functional twrp. (Roms not included.) APK by powerpoint45, script inside by me.
    V3: Fixed the directory issue within V2, should work now.
    V4:Added new freedom-boot.img, now with fastboot in secondary bootloader. No need for -i 0x1949 flag.

This package will be updated if any changes are made to the freedom-boot or TWRP recovery by Hashcode.

I AM OFFICIALLY DONE TRYING TO HELP ANYONE WHO USES KFU ON THEIR KF2, DO THE RESEARCH FIRST, THEN ATTEMPT THE MOD.
    This might be the most pathetically coded batch file I have ever seen. First of all, linux, doesn't interpret 'backslashes' as paths, second of all moutning system should be mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /system /system, then do the same for sdcard. Seriously, this thing could be a deathtrap.
    I must say, I find your response particularly disturbing. Bashing someone's work, whether warranted or not, is clearly against forum rules, and this could have been handled much more tactfully than your choice to publicly attempt to embarrass someone who is simply trying to learn and give back to the community by using the knowledge derived from it.

That being said, you don't have a lot of ground to stand on when you have no original works of your own here on XDA, and the majority of your posts involve asking for help rather than actually giving it. Besides, aren't you a Brony? Your profile seems to suggest that you are. Aren't Bronies supposed to be all about love, acceptance, and various other forms of happy crappiness? It doesn't really seem to me like you're being a very good example.

Perhaps you should spend more time watching MLP and leave the debugging to those who are more qualified and in a better space to contribute...
    This might be the most pathetically coded batch file I have ever seen. First of all, linux, doesn't interpret 'backslashes' as paths, second of all moutning system should be mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /system /system, then do the same for sdcard. Seriously, this thing could be a deathtrap.

I never realized how inconsiderate people could be. I spent my time writing this, if you have problems with it, make it better and release it yourself, just leave credit in. The thing is, I don't really see this going anywhere, so I've pretty much abandoned it. I'd say it's on its last version. Unless the community wants to come out with a better version.

And, I use linux daily. I know full well what is accepted into a linux shell. I did in fact write this on a linux machine.

How is it a deathtrap? when its worked so many times. If you ask me, you need to shut up and go back in your little hole, kick your feet above your head and fap into your mouth some more. Goodbye.
    fmkilo and Powerpoint 45, thanks so much for the one click app. I am in twrp now. My only question is will the rooted stock kindle restore from twrp properly if needed? I am asking because, yes, I was bold enough to try without a fastboot cable, so I did not pull the stock partitions through adb. Hopefully, I will never have to go back to it, but you never know?