Micro USB cables - overpriced and cheaply made

Search This thread

tpsman17

Dec 5, 2011
My first micro USB cable broke the other day when my phone fell off my bed... it bent the metal plug (lol) and broke the cable.

I bought a replacement cable from best buy. 20$ down the drain. A month later the cheapo cable was not charging, and I had to force the cable through yoga positions to get get it to charge.

And like me, the cable was not supposed to do yoga every night and it ceased to work.
Best buy had failed me. (Surprise surprise)

So I went on amazon and ordered a 6 dollar cable. Woo! Cheap!
2 days later (Amazon prime ;) )
Cable arrives.
HOLY CRAP
It is a gold plated cable, and feels to be about the most durable USB cable I think I've ever seen.

I've been using the cable for the past month or so and its awesome. The connection is great, (no wiggle. Hehe) and the cable is just durable.

So to all of you with micro USB cable woes... go to Amazon and buy that 6$ cable (so lazy I can't even link... smh) it will ruin all other cable experiences for you.

:)

Sent from my Swiper'd EVO using XDA

Pivo187

Apr 12, 2011
I totally agree with you! I went to radio shack looking for just the USB cable as I dont need the plug that you connect it to bc mine is fine..They wanted 20-30 bux for just the cord!!! Im like no way...I went to amazon & read sum reviews some neg sum positive but the one that came in works great for me so far (knocks on wood)! Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T0GHOU/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details
Also got this micro SD reader: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Y02CE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details When I plug it in it says its a sandisk...working fine so far so much easier than having to use my phone to transfer files!

tpsman17

Dec 5, 2011
Mediabridge - USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro-B Cable (6 Feet)
(I can't post links... smh)

here is the one I bought. Right now its only 3.99 as a prime user!

IT ROCKS MY SOCKS lol :D'

lath19

Jun 20, 2010
Monoprice.com, like two bucks. I have a bunch of them.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

tpsman17

Dec 5, 2011
Whoa ill definitely use that site if mine ever breaks, however, I don't think that will happen :)

Sent from my swiper'd EVO using XDA

Pivo187

Apr 12, 2011
I take that back...the micro sd reader is dead...piece of crap, only worked 2 times

Kyjibo

Aug 31, 2010
I'm going to have to also support Monoprice. My only advice is that you should probably use Paypal if possible. They had a data breach a year or so ago where some user data was compromised.

jacobjohn

Oct 2, 2011
Atlanta
wow guys, never, and I mean never buy cables from Bestbuy or any other retail store. Always buy online, and if you spent over 5 bucks for cords, you overspent on cords! a great website to find deals on any cords is slickdeals.net (there's a saying at those forums that if you spend more than 5 bucks on HDMI cable's, you are either ignorant or a moron that likes to waste money.)

P.S. - HDMI is digital so its either you have a connection or you don't, gold plated **** is still ****. Don't waste your money on things that doesn't even effect picture quality. Sorry for going out of topic, just want you guys to save some money.

wow guys, never, and I mean never buy cables from Bestbuy or any other retail store. Always buy online, and if you spent over 5 bucks for cords, you overspent on cords! a great website to find deals on any cords is slickdeals.net (there's a saying at those forums that if you spend more than 5 bucks on HDMI cable's, you are either ignorant or a moron that likes to waste money.)

P.S. - HDMI is digital so its either you have a connection or you don't, gold plated **** is still ****. Don't waste your money on things that doesn't even effect picture quality. Sorry for going out of topic, just want you guys to save some money.

AMEN!

cp320703

Apr 7, 2012
Ohio
monoprice rules

i'l like to add my support for monoprice as well, there's no reason to buy any sort of cable from anywhere but there unless you're getting it for free... 9 times out of 10 when i buy something from there i usually end up getting 2 or 3 plus some other stuff since everything its so cheap. Quality is never an issue, in fact my monoprice hdmi cables have outlasted other store bought (Expensive!) hdmi's.... i dont understand how the people who work at monster cable, etc can sleep at night knowing they's built an entire business based on lying to, misleading, and ripping people off who don't know much about tech....

Cuppeerr

Mar 15, 2010
Grapevine, Texas
i'l like to add my support for monoprice as well, there's no reason to buy any sort of cable from anywhere but there unless you're getting it for free... 9 times out of 10 when i buy something from there i usually end up getting 2 or 3 plus some other stuff since everything its so cheap. Quality is never an issue, in fact my monoprice hdmi cables have outlasted other store bought (Expensive!) hdmi's.... i dont understand how the people who work at monster cable, etc can sleep at night knowing they's built an entire business based on lying to, misleading, and ripping people off who don't know much about tech....

I live by monoprice haha:)

ChillaDNF

Dec 14, 2011
Las Vegas
I bought some from amazon for 49 cents i bought like 5 of them. I've had them for over 5 months and still working great. I have them all over the house lol

snownskate

May 31, 2012
+10 for Monoprice....I have an Amazon prime account and I still go to monoprice first for the quality of their cables. Their search and site layout is nice too, they are like Radio Shack on steroids (the good king of steroids)

BonezMontana

Feb 23, 2012
Lynchburg VA
Monoprice.com, like two bucks. I have a bunch of them.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

Yes best place ever to buy any wire. Don't let people in best buy or any other retail store try to sell you the same exact wire for $20. They convinced a friend of mine into buying one of those $50 monster hdmi cables, and I was like bro you just got robbed. I took one of my hdmi cables that I purchased from monoprice and hooked it up to his tv and asked him if he could see a difference. He ended up taking that cable back.

ou2mame

Oct 17, 2008
Lenovo Legion Y700
monoprice is the ****. i got a 50' hdmi cable on sale for like 10 bucks, along with a 1/8th to rca audio for my stereo system, for dirt cheap. i think it was like 5 bucks. the left channel died a year after i bought it so i emailed them and they mailed me another no questions asked. i have a micro hdmi to hdmi for my phone and it works great got that for a few bucks most likely.. their stuff is so cheap. my friend does audio work for theaters and concert venues and he uses monoprice for everything. they're a solid company with a really good rep.

Relentless D

Jun 4, 2012
Chico, CA
Hmm...

In some cases you can use the cheap $3.40 cable
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gold-p...m-connection-cable-1m-length-27449?r=34774240

but... With FullHD you need to be more carefull with cables. And you have never heard of HEC or 1.4 standards?
For excample with 1080p-settings bad cables can give black picture or some red pixels are blinking a bit.

DX has good cables. I am using this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gold-plated-1080p-hdmi-v1-4-cable-1-8m-42297?r=34774240
Price: $9.20, and this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/premium-wrapped-hdmi-to-mini-hdmi-cable-1-8m-14031?r=34774240
Price: $5.37 including shiping :)

I go to comcast for HDMI cables. They don't have anything long but if you have hd service from them (and probably if you don't) you can walk in and tell them that your hdmi cable dies and they'll hand you a new one. Between that and moving a few times in the last couple of years, I have 6 comcast hdmi cables still in the baggies they come in ready to go :)