Slimmest Folio Case for the transformer prime

Search This thread

TotalOmnia88

Apr 9, 2011
I've looked through various threads trying to find an answer to this one:
which is the thinnest available folio case (one which converts to a stand for multiple viewing angles) for the Transformer Prime?

One of the driving factors in getting this tablet over the competition is its thinness, so the slimmest case would be ideal for a lot of people out there to show off how amazing this tablet really is.

So far it seems the slimmest folio cases are (based on my research, please add more to the list):
  • Moko Slim Cover Case with Stand
  • MiniSuit Case
  • Poetic Case

All 3 of which are very similar!

Lets make a comparison of some REAL technical data on the available folio/folding cases out in the market.
Could I ask those of you which own any of these cases to take a measurement of the total thickness of the tablet+case when in closed position?

I'll update this post with the measurements so we can start comparing them, and hopefully we can get a good guide going for this type of case. I'll also add hyperlinks and feature sets, so please chime in with any differing features - eg. magnetic locking, velcrove locking, clip locking, tablet requires to be unhooked from the bottom case clips to go into the 'standing' mode etc.

Last edited:

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
If you really want a thin case, a folio case isn't what you're looking for!

I have the BluRex case, and like it. I prefer the way it attaches the Transformer Prime to the case, using corner clips, covered in material to protect the screen, to the way other cases have a sleeve, which, once the Prime is inserted, covers up a large portion of the screen.

That being said, any folio case will add more then double to the thickness of the TP. A video reviewer of one of these cases (perhaps the BluRex, don't remember) used nickles to measure the Transformer Prime (4 nickels in thickness) compared to the TP with case on (10 nickels).

I'm waiting for one of the cases in this thread to be released!

Check out this video, if you want a very thin case!

Considering the Transformer Prime has Gorilla Glass, I'm not that worried about the screen breaking (although, there have been some people who's screen has cracked).

I'm somewhat worried about scratches, as I've read of people who's TP has a scratch or two on the screen, so I'm getting a screen protector (also hate how much fingerprints show up on the Prime).

I figure with a screen protector, and a thin, snap on clear plastic case to protect the back spun metal aluminum back of the Prime, I should be set.

Sorry... don't have tools to accurately measure the BluRex case.

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
Check out the Great Shield series as well. Very slim folio very similar to the minisuit or blurex listed above.

Looks exactly like my BleRex case.

I like it, and it's fine for now, but I really think I want a case that's thinner then the BluRex (Great Shield) case.

I wish the BobJGear cases were available, but I guess I have to wait if I want one of those. The other case I've thought about is the GumDrop case. They provide outstanding protection not only for the metal back, but also for the display, but I'm sure they're on the heavier, thicker side.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
The thinnest case you can get is most likely the Asus TranSleeve. Not quite a folio though, but there doesn't seem to be any super thin folio cases like the ones for the HP TouchPad or the iPads. I know there's a thread in this subforum where a member is working on prototyping some thin case designs.

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
The Sikai case is the thinnest folio-style case available for the Transformer Prime. The material of the case is about 2mm thick on each side of the tablet, and another 2mm for the cover so in total it adds about 6mm of thickness to your tablet. When closed the total tablet + case is about 13mm thick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sikai-ASUS-...d-Transformer-Prime-TF201-Black-/190638465174

I bought one of these and it is pretty nice.

Some of its benefits are the thinness I mentioned, the fact that the cover stays closed magnetically, it has a loop to hold a stylus, and the cover props the Prime up into different positions for viewing/typing.

For me the biggest benefit is that it doesn't look like leather of fake leather, it has a nice dark grey (almost black) matte finish and doesn't feel at all slippery in the hand. It also has nice cutouts for all of the Prime's camera and ports, even the reset hole.

20120411.jpg

Bruuce

May 12, 2010
Wichitawesome
What's the skin/case in the video? I love it.

I am the creator of the case in the video. (sorry for the constant spinning of the tablet in the video. It was just a teaser of my prototype.)

Thanks for the words of encouragement ShelW. I've been working on the idea since January and have started a small company to that end. I do hope to also make a "smartcover" like cover/stand for the front of the Prime. However, since Theledman spoke up a few weeks ago about the hardshell part of the case. I figured it best to toss my hat in the ring before things took off.

With things moving so quick on the other thread, I haven't had time to troll the rest of the forum. But I'm glad to see that I've got loyal followers spreading the word for me. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.