[ROM] Galaxy Player 5.0 INTL (YP-G70) - Stock/Rooted/rj Kernel

Search This thread

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
These are custom ROMs for International Galaxy Player 5.0 with minimum modifications. What you get is essentially a stock gingerbread ROM, rooted plus the custom kernel (including CWM) from rumirand.

News and Status
[04/19/2012]Added a rooted XXKPH ROM.
[01/27/2012]Updated to include rj's r10 kernel. (better battery life :D)

G70XXKPH-rooted-rj14
  • Based on G70XXKPH stock ROM (Thanks tapioco2000 for providing the stock ROM)
  • Rooted
  • rumirand's custom kernel r14 (see this thread for information about the kernel)
  • CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7 (included in rumirand's kernel)
  • Supported locale: English, many EU languages & Korean

G70XXKPF-rooted-rj10
  • Based on G70XXKPF stock ROM
  • Rooted
  • rumirand's custom kernel r10 (see this thread for information about the kernel)

G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj10
  • Based on G70ZSKP8 stock ROM
  • Rooted
  • rumirand's custom kernel r10 (see this thread for information about the kernel)
  • Supported locale: English, Chinese (Simplified/Traditional/HK) & Korean (Interesting, no Japanese?)

Previous Versions
G70XXKP8-rooted-rj8 (alternative download link, thanks to Rueben_)
G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj8

How to flash?
  1. Full wipe
  2. Flash using Odin (if you are not sure how to use Odin, do some research about this first)
  3. Restart and you are good to go

Will it work on my Galaxy Player?

• Galaxy Player 5.0 International (with a physical home button) WORK
  • Galaxy Player 5.0 US (without physical home button) DO NOT WORK
  • Galaxy Player 3.6, 4.0 (US or International) DO NOT WORK

Acknowledgement
Actually I did very little to create this ROM. All credits should go to rumirand and Entropy512 who make the custom kernel and CWM possible. If I miss anyone, just let me know.

Disclaimer
I am not an experienced Android developer and this is my first ROM ever, so don't expect much from me if you run into problems. And I am not responsible for any damage done to your device.

Last edited:

Rueben_

Aug 1, 2011
Our first rom for this device? Brilliant thanks, do you plan on doing tweaks in the future to the ROM e.g. making it faster etc. I will try this now and post feed back later :)

Hers the multi upload link for more choice on were to download.

http://www.multiupload.com/TWIVKOS0KO

EDIT: ROM does not boot up stuck on the Samsung splash screen. :(

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Our first rom for this device? Brilliant thanks, do you plan on doing tweaks in the future to the ROM e.g. making it faster etc. I will try this now and post feed back later :)

Have you wipe the cache partition and do a factory reset? If there is old user setting in data partition, it can cause unexpected behavior.

I can do some small tweaks if it doesn't need to go too deep into the system, no guarantee though. Many new features will come from rumirand's kernel actually. e.g. lag-fix should come fairly soon.

Reactions: Rueben_

Rueben_

Aug 1, 2011
Have you wipe the cache partition and do a factory reset? If there is old user setting in data partition, it can cause unexpected behavior.

I can do some small tweaks if it doesn't need to go too deep into the system, no guarantee though. Many new features will come from rumirand's kernel actually. e.g. lag-fix should come fairly soon.
Forgot about that im new to Samsung and Odin, thought it did it for you. Ive just wiped Dalvik cache, wipe data and cache partitions and its WORKED thank you. :)

Reactions: njguyc

Higgsy

Oct 16, 2009
Smethvegas
Good call, a nice easy way to update to a rooted 2.3 if you are on 2.2.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Just used this to update from 2.2.2 to 2.3.5 on my daughters YP-G70 UK model. Absolutely painless - didn't even have to wipe data! all is working sweet and CWM too. Cheers again.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Just used this to update from 2.2.2 to 2.3.5 on my daughters YP-G70 UK model. Absolutely painless - didn't even have to wipe data! all is working sweet and CWM too. Cheers again.

Glad that it works. A little surprise that it doesn't need a data wipe when going from 2.2.2 to 2.3.5. May be the stock ROM is designed to work with existing data.

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
Wanted to confirm that the non wipe way works, all settings are saved after update to this rom/kernel...thanks !!!!

turbanator

Feb 24, 2007
Hi, can someone explain the difference between G70XXKPF (What I'm currently on, 2.3.5) and G70ZSKP8 ? Just the included locales?

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Hi, can someone explain the difference between G70XXKPF (What I'm currently on, 2.3.5) and G70ZSKP8 ? Just the included locales?

I didn't do an app by app comparison, but on the surface it looks pretty much the same to me. These ROMs were release in different parts of the world, the major difference is the language support. e.g. ZSKP8 comes with a Chinese keyboard that can do handwritten input.

jamieelockey

Aug 27, 2010
Bedfordshire
hello! just wondering, is my device right for this ROM? :)

Model: YP-G70
Firmware: 2.2.2
Kernal: 2.6.32.9 se.infra@SEI-27 #1
bulid: FROYO.XXKD6

it is galaxy player with mechanical home button purchased in england :)
thankyou

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
What is running on it now doesn't matter. Only what the device is matters. You confirmed that you have a compatible device.

jamieelockey

Aug 27, 2010
Bedfordshire
Does ghetto lagfix work? I have about 30mb free in system partition.. but everytime I go to rstore. My backup I get error.. I have changed rfs. To ext4. In all the right places.. but I edited the md5 file on my phone using es text editor which is built into es file explorer. I don't know what else I could be doing wrong sorry for the rubbish questions

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Does ghetto lagfix work? I have about 30mb free in system partition.. but everytime I go to rstore. My backup I get error.. I have changed rfs. To ext4. In all the right places.. but I edited the md5 file on my phone using es text editor which is built into es file explorer. I don't know what else I could be doing wrong sorry for the rubbish questions

In CWM, under the "Advanced and Debugging Menu", there is an option "Show Log". See if that can produce some useful information about what's happening.

rjsmith2007

Dec 27, 2010

Do you have an sdcard plugged in? I forgot that I didn't have mine in, and was getting errors lol. Silly me. Got it working now.

kiwijunglist

Aug 26, 2010
THANKS!

Stock Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0
YP-G70 (International Version, from New Zealand with physical home button)
Firmware 2.2.2
Kernal 2.6.32.9 seinfra@SEP-53 #1
Build FROYO.XXKG1

--> Flashed XXKPF using Odin3 v1.85 without any problems

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These are custom ROMs for International Galaxy Player 5.0 with minimum modifications. What you get is essentially a stock gingerbread ROM, rooted plus the custom kernel (including CWM) from rumirand.

News and Status
    [04/19/2012]Added a rooted XXKPH ROM.
    [01/27/2012]Updated to include rj's r10 kernel. (better battery life :D)

G70XXKPH-rooted-rj14
    • Based on G70XXKPH stock ROM (Thanks tapioco2000 for providing the stock ROM)
    • Rooted
    • rumirand's custom kernel r14 (see this thread for information about the kernel)

G70XXKPF-rooted-rj10
    • Based on G70XXKPF stock ROM
    • Rooted

G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj10
    • Based on G70ZSKP8 stock ROM
    • Rooted
    • Supported locale: English, Chinese (Simplified/Traditional/HK) & Korean (Interesting, no Japanese?)

Previous Versions
    G70XXKP8-rooted-rj8 (alternative download link, thanks to Rueben_)
    G70ZSKP8-rooted-rj8

How to flash?
    1. Full wipe
    2. Flash using Odin (if you are not sure how to use Odin, do some research about this first)
    3. Restart and you are good to go

Will it work on my Galaxy Player?

• Galaxy Player 5.0 International (with a physical home button) WORK
    • Galaxy Player 5.0 US (without physical home button) DO NOT WORK
    • Galaxy Player 3.6, 4.0 (US or International) DO NOT WORK

Acknowledgement
    Actually I did very little to create this ROM. All credits should go to rumirand and Entropy512 who make the custom kernel and CWM possible. If I miss anyone, just let me know.

Disclaimer
    I am not an experienced Android developer and this is my first ROM ever, so don't expect much from me if you run into problems. And I am not responsible for any damage done to your device.

Forgot about that im new to Samsung and Odin, thought it did it for you. Ive just wiped Dalvik cache, wipe data and cache partitions and its WORKED thank you. :)
    Later I will create a full recovery for those who bricked their Galaxy Player.
    Does this have Vietnamese? If you know, where do I find ROM with Vietnamese?

There is no Vietnamese in these 2 ROM. May be you can have a look at the ones that based on 2.3.6. They seems to have more languages but not sure if Vietnamese is included.

Have a look at these 2
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1458325

or

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465144