[DONATION] Froyo 2.2 for XT720 - Donation link and progress update here!

Search This thread

youbaoer

Apr 4, 2009
I donot think Skrilax_CZ will do any roms.
When I was dext user, I like kb7sqi's rom. And I do not think he will do a 720 rom for money or for fun.
Maybe you should think about j_r0dd or HandlerExploit or ms devs.

Xjester

Jan 3, 2011
Islamabad
Count me in

$20 and yes i think we should say 2.3 should be the target ( 3.0 is only for Tablets)

But think of it this way, there is a way of loading custom Rom on Milestone , we should try to get a custom Rom built for our XT720

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
When I was dext user, I like kb7sqi's rom. And I do not think he will do a 720 rom for money or for fun.
Maybe you should think about j_r0dd or HandlerExploit or ms devs.

thank you for that suggestion- I don't know any of them but that means nothing... ;)

It would help if there would more suggestions like that so we could see if theres a developer who is known and appreciated by several donators...

ms devs= like microsoft developers??? :rolleyes:

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
ms devs= like microsoft developers???
a100.gif

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
$20 and yes i think we should say 2.3 should be the target ( 3.0 is only for Tablets)

Folks- I also would love to have 2.3 on my xt720 but we should stay realistic. If we would get froyo and there would be 2.3 for the milestone or the korean motoroi- gingerbread should also be able for us!

As long there are so many donators (which is nice, no question) but so less people with real suggestions and help to figure this out, we will have neither froyo nor gingerbread...
a015.gif

So please help me HERE !!!

Dec 30, 2010
i don't know any developer so i cannot recommend one, the only thing i can do is to make sure i contribute financially with my donation :)

TG2008

Dec 2, 2007
Well... we are over $500 now.

If I had the mad-skills, I'd consider it at this point for the free phone and fun/challenge factor ;)

But maybe it'll take a bit more $.

en0203

Jun 29, 2010
probably too hard to go gingerbread. We have korean froyo, so porting from froyo is possible. Porting gingerbread may not be possible as the bootloader is locked and you can't flash in custom kernel.

alx294

Sep 3, 2010
alright, considering I'm 16 and broke, I can't donate.. but I would love to help in any other possible way I can. firmware testing or anything at all for that matter, just let me know.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
The boot loader is still encrypted, how did you expect this to work?

that's right- but we have the korean motoroi update- I don't think we can produce froyo out of thin air also- but now we " just" have to mod the existing update from the korean motoroi version to the xt720.

ronnbon

Aug 15, 2010
Hamburg
probably too hard to go gingerbread. We have korean froyo, so porting from froyo is possible. Porting gingerbread may not be possible as the bootloader is locked and you can't flash in custom kernel.
I do agree...
a020.gif

Lets take just big steps- not giantic ones...;)

Again, I need more feedback from you! Which option do you prefer? Do you have any ideas how we can keep the financial part as secure as possible..?

What if the only way keeps a certain amount of risk in getting a not 100% efficient froyo (for example if the developer does not want to give us a full guarantee for sucsess)? Do you want to try it anyhow?
Is there one of you willing to provide his/her xt720 ( In case you have more than one...) for the dev in case he/she wants to have one from us?

Please realize- I really do my best to put this into practise but I can and will not inherit all responsibility for this!!!
At the beginning I was just one of the willing donators. I just wanted to push this a little and started the other thread. But than the others which wanted to hire a dev too did not join in and so I remained the only one in front...

I try to discuss this thouroughly to avoid some misunderstandigs. Theres a great chance that there will remain some kind of risk- keep that in mind!

If you are really content with the xt720 in generall and you just would like to donate when there is a 100% assurance to get it- than please rethink your donation... (I mean so far it is not binding anyway, but say it loud and I will remove you from the list) Just too keep that donation amount as realistic as possible...

If you are like me- you like the phone but still there are some things that would be better with froyo and you really think about selling it without froyo- than you have not so much to loose. If I sell it right know I will loose much more than my 20 bucks and this will be probably the only way to get froyo... so I will accept a certain amount of risk not to become sucessfull.

So- what do you think now?
a015.gif

Richie909

Dec 22, 2010
Hi. I'm also own one european version XT720. There are a lot of stories about ''xt720 and froyo''. But I wouldn't like write all that stories here, cause it takes time, and need write too much. Finally, I can say just what everybody we know: We want get froyo update for our XT720's (any versions, not including korean version, in fact - people in Koreaalready got froyo update with their korean versions of XT720's). So yeah, I wouldlike donate 100 $ to people who create it or find out. Just trying to say - I would like put 100 $ from my side to this foundation if there will be way founded how to get froyo for our XT720's or created (hacked/cheated or somehow) some version of Froyo update for XT720's. Thanks a lot.

grigorbg

Nov 30, 2010
Sofia
I`m totally agree with you - step by step. 1st Froyo (If someone can fix the problems), then ... will see.

The phone is very good and I don`t have plans to change it for the moment. XT720 is OK with 2.1 + some optimizations+app2sd. Better that Desire (IMHO) and other phone in this price range. Froyo will be additional future for us, and because Motorola are XXX we must add this future.

So, 20 or even 50 USD are very small price to have extra future and to use this phone till Dual cores arrive to the market (LG is option for TV or microwave, not for phone).

TG2008

Dec 2, 2007
Ronnbon,

Maybe you can add the $$$ total, after [bounty] in the thread title? (I think it is over $600 now :) )

Might generate more interest.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
i'll be more than happy to have 2.2 on the XT720

2.3 is sitll buggy even on the Nexus S, so, there is no point leaping to a buggy 2.3 OS when 2.2 is solid, stable and compatible with all the apps in the market

once we get 2.2, then we'll have native App 2 SD support, that will improve our phone life ten fold, and make it much more useful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This project is about porting the korean motoroi froyo update to the xt720, not the xt701 or any other motorola phone of the x-series.
    I don't want to exlude this right from the start- but this would happen after the a successfull finish of the major task- froyo for the xt720!

Donations are not connected to any securities- it is just your own risk- I absolutely take no responsibilty for the result!

Donation link for Dexter

Note: remember to write XT720 from your nickname @ XDA

-------------------------------------------
    I deleted the list of donators and donations because one the one hand I don't know anymore who really donated and who just posted that he did and one the other hand I don't see any sense of it anymore since we received our goal to buy the phone.

If its very important for you we can ask Dexter for a list of the received donations and donators after the donations are all done- but people are still donating- so it makes no sense to me to ask for it know...

First of all: We reached the first and most difficult goal: collecting enough money to buy dexter the phone.

Second step will be Dexters first estimation of the situation after he received the phone and got
    familiar with its pros and cons.
    XT720 progress report

This post will now be updated during my progress, so you might need to mark this if you wish to continue to follow the updates.. I might also reply with changes, but updates will be posted in this specific post for now.

29-01-2011
    step 1 - port started :)
    - Initial camera findings... the /dev/hplens-omap is not part of the kernel, that makes new camera from 2.2 difficult to work.. as froyo 2.2 now has some camera functions included in the kernel, like zoom.
    - work so far based on latest milestone 2.2 leak (amazingly equal to xt720)
    - Camera with zoom works fine.. very strange, but i only take that as a positive start..
    - sensors for rotation seems off, button light only works if triggered in display auto/manual setting for now (can be framework bug)
    - wifi, bt, calls ok... hdmi not available in stock mod. (ill see if that can be included somehow)
    - kxtf9 driver missing in kernel, no support for compass/accelerator function. (will be checking 2.1kernel if its released, for kernel driver extraction)
    - flashplayer works (obvious i think)
    - 3g(hsdpa) data works
    - ClockWorkMod partly tested (Backup only for now tested, restore comes tomorrow) using modified edition not installing hijack..

- compiling kxtf9 module is possible, but registering so far fails (mobile reboot)
    - just noticed when email arrive, i get a notification led blinking in lower right corner? is that new? since a thread about says its not possible?
    31-jan
    - another "problem". tested HDMI on original korean rom, seems not to work?
    so, probably not easy to find out why when i got only 2.1 libs to work with.
    - CWM Recovery restore only for /system , rest is messed for now.
    - Froyo cam ported, works with 8MP now
    01-feb
    - First release ( link here )
    02-feb
    - First release re-run ( link here ) now using OpenRecovery which is confirmed working on xt720.
    03-feb
    - Second release ( link here )
    - Official uk 2.01 kernel used.. all sensors now activated.
    - still primarily using 2.2 release from korean rom.
    - added native apps functionality as uk kernel did not support it.
    - interactive govenor (thanks, nadlabak).
    - Fixed OpenRecovery, so an App is available instead of using ADB , all is now automated with DefyRecovery(thanks Tenfar for original app).
    XT720 beta stock release

So here is the first beta for review..
    i will not put any version on it for this release, before some more people verified it.
    the release does have more languages natively, but since its based on a stock android (milestone) release, you will for sure see differences.. but korean parts for telephone checks , baseband and carriers are gone.

Install instructions
    1. Install korean sbf(STSKT_N_79.33.50R ) using RSDLite
    - download korean 2.2 sbf (link posted previously)
    - boot your xt720 into bootloader (press power while holding VOL- + shutter button held during bootup)
    - when RSDLite application on pc says "connected" , your ready to flash
    - select the SBF
    - press start
    2. root it (SuperOneClickFor2.1.zip) - included with zip
    3. install xt720 recovery (included with this zip name: xt720recovery.apk )
    instruction use: VOL UP/DOWN in menu selection + POWER=SELECT
    4. reboot once
    4a. Using xt720 defyrecovery, chose install recovery
    5. copy the folder "goapkrev" to root directory of your sdcard.
    6. boot into recovery using the xt720recovery (boot recovery)
    7. restore the backup "stock22"
    8. wipe (factory reset) using original recovery menu on xt720 (NOT xt720recovery app)
    9. reboot

What does not work.
    -------------------
    - HDMI (i think)
    - light in buttons (manual activation using light on powercontrol works)
    - acc. sensors (kxtf9 driver still in the works, korean model uses lh33... chipset)

Download here
    ps: oc module seems not to oc correctly, so look for a fix in next update.
    note: its not motoroi baseband compatible (99% sure)
    (xt720 froyo) Dexter is our dev!! donation link here!

Its Dexters Job- now it is officiall!

I did not decide it on my own- but jr33 has a lot to do right now and because we still had an okay from Dexter he drew back.

To do the donation visit dexters website! LINK
    Donations will be done with paypal but: you DON'T NEED a PayPal account, just a credit card only; you get the option to sign in or proceed without an account.

IMPORTANT! Please leave a comment with "xt720" and your username to assign the donation!

Just to note it here too: I deleted the donations and donators list at the other thread- it makes no sense anymore since I don't know anymore who really donated and who not.
    And finally we reached our goal to buy the phone after all- If you want a list of all received donations from Dexter after all that will surely be no problem...
    I honestly would have done this for free... its not an easy task but nothing ever goes well when money is involved.

If Dexter is your developer then good luck to him, if you guys need any help or anything feel free to ask me. I can be most easily contacted via email. <myusername>@gmail.com