CDMA Hero Root status?

Search This thread

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
well what the debate is, is yes it has successfully backed up the img. but what can we flash that will keep our CDMAs from bricking, whether or not cynogens recovery img will work, i'm sooooo tempted to try it right now.... but something tells me i should wait till someone with more knowledge lets me know.

PikkonX

Oct 8, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Now I think it's pretty much a wait for someone to take the backup image and customize it to their liking. The temptation is there to attempt a flash, especially since I could just take my phone back to Best Buy if it bricks, but I think I'll wait for someone else to try first lol.

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
mine i can still take back, but I live in Flagstaff, AZ (best buy up there doesnt have sprint phones for some weird reason.) And even though im down in Yuma, AZ (where i bought my phone) I left the box in Flagstaff... I'm sooo stupid. I knew I should have brought the box with me...

OH and BOY am i glad i didnt get the moment now....HAHAHAHA

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Now I think it's pretty much a wait for someone to take the backup image and customize it to their liking. The temptation is there to attempt a flash, especially since I could just take my phone back to Best Buy if it bricks, but I think I'll wait for someone else to try first lol.

I decided to take the plunge (since I'm still in my 30 day window through the 11th)...and it did nothing. I tried CM-Recovery-1.4 and Amon-RA's images both and neither appears to have done anything (at least I don't get the expected screens on reboot after flash).

However...my phone still operates as if nothing happened.

PikkonX

Oct 8, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Did you try holding Home and then pressing and holding the power button to turn the phone on? I think I saw people doing that in a few Youtube vids.

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Did you try holding Home and then pressing and holding the power button to turn the phone on? I think I saw people doing that in a few Youtube vids.

Yeah I basically followed theunlockr's guide online (which included that combo...you have to press those to boot into the recovery image) and got nowhere. However, at least it doesn't brick your phone...just doesn't appear to work either.

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
Mine gives me a
Backup FAILED: Could not run command.

Edit: My bad.. Even though I unmounted the USB, I needed to completely disconnect it from my computer to do the backup. 5mb backup image. off to find something to flash on my phone.

Last edited:

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
I put the Amon Ra recovery image on... powered off the device, held menu whlie turning on, and it shows the normal recovery screen... not the updated one.

briankwest

Oct 16, 2009
My HERO was the first one to fall... I promptly turned off tcp_timestamps to fix my wifi/tcp and it works fine now.

I haven't flashed any roms due to the fact non-exist for the Sprint Hero that I know of... anyone care to elaborate?

/b

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
i guess no root yet :(
i used the one from here
http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec

tried it at least and it says
Backup FAILED: could not run command :p i dint follow any instructions tho jaja i could not find them >_>

I had that... unplug the USB cable. If it still doesn't work, try resetting your phone first (I know that takes like an hour because of all the bloat that HTC puts on there, but at least them you know you're starting with a clean setup)
**** SOFT RESET **** as in power off, power on. NOT a hard reset as in factory default.

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
I guess I will chime in and confirm that I could backup my current image. That worked fine which didnt before which is good. I also tried a couple different recovery images. Cyanogen didnt work because it's meant for the PVT (the ones in the Dream) motheboards not the EBI (I think EBI is a motherboard but may be wrong on that). I then tried Amon Ra's Hero recovery. That downloaded and flashed but like others on the forum it went to HTC logo and then just hung. I then tried the Sapphire recovery image that works with 32A motherboards but again it hung.

My take on this? Obviously this is a good sign. We were able to flash an image. Granted that image did not work but we flashed it which is good. I assume this means the exploit worked and we ran that app as root but I didnt do a ps to check. It looks like we are a leap further where we were yesterday so everybody don't give up hope. Anything yall want to try let me know. I can return my phone to BB any time as I got the phone at the end of october. 28th or 29th I think.

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
I guess I will chime in and confirm that I could backup my current image. That worked fine which didnt before which is good. I also tried a couple different recovery images. Cyanogen didnt work because it's meant for the PVT (the ones in the Dream) motheboards not the EBI (I think EBI is a motherboard but may be wrong on that). I then tried Amon Ra's Hero recovery. That downloaded and flashed but like others on the forum it went to HTC logo and then just hung. I then tried the Sapphire recovery image that works with 32A motherboards but again it hung.

My take on this? Obviously this is a good sign. We were able to flash an image. Granted that image did not work but we flashed it which is good. I assume this means the exploit worked and we ran that app as root but I didnt do a ps to check. It looks like we are a leap further where we were yesterday so everybody don't give up hope. Anything yall want to try let me know. I can return my phone to BB any time as I got the phone at the end of october. 28th or 29th I think.

Where do you guys get to the HTC logo? I turn my phone off, hold down Home and End and I get the HTC menu to restore to factory default. Vol-Down and Vol-Up with End brings the normal HTC menus as well. Are you using a different key combination?

I used flashrec to make a backup (5meg). Renamed that backup to recovery-image1.img. Then, I flashed the Amon Ra image (3.5 meg) and did another backup and the recovery-image.img was 5 meg. That says to me that this application "thinks" it's flashing but it's not actually doing it.

Darth Pooh

Oct 4, 2006
If the phone were actually rooted, wouldn't you be able to run CacheMate? Has anyone tested that?

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
is there any free programs on the market that require root? I flashed the Amon RA as well, and i just get to the clear storage screen, so i'm thinking it doesnt even flash the image... If it did, we should atleast end up with a different recovery screen, or a brick :/
The slow depressed feeling is setting in again... but atleast there is some progress made.