modified car power adapter still not giving enough power

Search This thread

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
I bought a Griffin Powerjolt Dual Micro adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042B9U8Q/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details). It supposedly can do 1A on each port. I modded it as the commenters on Amazon suggested (open up, solder the middle pins on each side together so that it's recognized as an AC charger rather than USB).

Both my Flyer (Leedroid HC rom) and Evo 4G see it correctly as an AC charger. However, monitoring the current via Elixir says it's not getting near 1A. For example, the flyer was showing somewhere between -500ma and -700ma while unplugged (GPS on, wifi tethering). When I plugged it into this charger, it was showing around -50ma. So it's getting only around 600ma of juice, not 1000ma.

Testing my Evo on the charger showed the same.

Using an actual HTC AC charger (old one, from my TouchPro2 days, but rated for 5V 1A) both devices indicate they're getting somewhere around 900ma, much more like I'd expect.

So is this charger just crap? Or is that normal for a car 1A charger? I'm debating getting something else - ideally one of the chargers that claims to have both a 2.1A port and a 1A port, since I want to run both the flyer and evo (for tethering) in the car. Got suggestions on any that are good? Small would be best since a big charger blocks my cupholder :)

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
You'll be best off getting a small 12 /120 inverter. The magic is in the HTC charging cord connector not the power supply. Just use the inverter with the HTC wall wart. It produces 9v at 1.2 A. Since the Flyer has two batteries, it really needs more than 5v

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
That just seems like such a ridiculous way to do it - 12V in car, converted to 120v AC, then BACK to DC at 9V...

I tried another USB adapter that I had lying around, a really really cheapo one that claimed to be 1A. Well, my phone shows it's getting around 900ma from it. So not too bad, and certainly better than the name brand that I modified. So looks like I'm back to the hunt... either a dual-usb 1A each adapter, or better yet, a 2.1A/1A dual adapter that can actually output that much.

But still, even the modded one isn't too bad. at only 50ma net drain, that flyer battery would last longer in the car than I will :)

linuxis

Jul 21, 2008
Vilnius
You'll be best off getting a small 12 /120 inverter. The magic is in the HTC charging cord connector not the power supply. Just use the inverter with the HTC wall wart. It produces 9v at 1.2 A. Since the Flyer has two batteries, it really needs more than 5v

I think there is easier way. Griffin 2A car charger has chip inside, it can give up to 20 or 30V and 3A! Voltage is regulated by changing only one resistor. I have datasheet somewhwere, but you can google. Datasheet will explain what resistor and wat value is needed for 9V.
So changing resistor should be enough, but I am not shure 100% because I do not know if Flyers original charger uses specific pins or the same usb pins for charging

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Tapatalk

Last edited:

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Well, you don't really want to change voltage I don't think. I know the official charger does 9V over the same pins as the usual microUSB 5 pins, but I don't know for sure if the flyer has to do anything special to know 9V is coming. Or if the pinout is different.

So for now, I'm planning to just get an ipad-type 2A 5V charger, mod it (since the ipad doesn't use standard methods of knowing the charger can do more than 500ma), and see how that works.

I'm not terribly concerned about CHARGING the flyer in teh car. I just don't want to lose too much battery while on a long drive. So even a true 1A charger would be fine - that's more than the flyer draws. I just thikn the charger I got isn't actually doing what it says.

linuxis

Jul 21, 2008
Vilnius
Well, you don't really want to change voltage I don't think. I know the official charger does 9V over the same pins as the usual microUSB 5 pins, but I don't know for sure if the flyer has to do anything special to know 9V is coming. Or if the pinout is different.

So for now, I'm planning to just get an ipad-type 2A 5V charger, mod it (since the ipad doesn't use standard methods of knowing the charger can do more than 500ma), and see how that works.

I'm not terribly concerned about CHARGING the flyer in teh car. I just don't want to lose too much battery while on a long drive. So even a true 1A charger would be fine - that's more than the flyer draws. I just thikn the charger I got isn't actually doing what it says.

You are not right. It gives up to 3A, but voltage is too low for Flyer. To charge properly Flyer needs 9V voltage and up to 1.2A. If voltage will be only 5v - you never will never get 1A with flyer. Tested various 1 or 2A chargers (even genuine Iphone) with data pins connected. And i also said that griffin circuitry is capable of giving more than 1A. HTC HD2, draws its maximum ~800mA from griffin, so you theory would say that Flyer can draw more than 500mA :) too but it doesn't so it is due to voltage or special pins.

Last edited:

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
The flyer does not NEED 9V - it's just faster. Heck, the thing came w/ a USB cable which is only 5V and it will charge, just not as fast.

I've got some REALLY cheap USB car chargers (look like this http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...obile-Cell-Phone-White-Color-wholesalers.html and I got them for like a buck a piece). Sticker says it'll do 1A. On both my Evo and my Flyer, I get around 900-950ma out of it. So yes, the flyer can indeed draw 1A from a charger that can do it.

I think the charger I've got (the one in the original post) is just crappy. I ordered another model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056VNVV8) which claims to have a 2A port and a 1A port. I'll try it out, don't expect it to actually do that stock since the ipad is the main device that uses 2A and uses proprietary methods to signal that. Then I'll open it up and short the data pins and see what I get. HOPEFULLY I can pull enough juice from it to keep both the flyer and evo happy.

linuxis

Jul 21, 2008
Vilnius
The flyer does not NEED 9V - it's just faster. Heck, the thing came w/ a USB cable which is only 5V and it will charge, just not as fast.

I've got some REALLY cheap USB car chargers (look like this http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...obile-Cell-Phone-White-Color-wholesalers.html and I got them for like a buck a piece). Sticker says it'll do 1A. On both my Evo and my Flyer, I get around 900-950ma out of it. So yes, the flyer can indeed draw 1A from a charger that can do it.

I think the charger I've got (the one in the original post) is just crappy. I ordered another model (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056VNVV8) which claims to have a 2A port and a 1A port. I'll try it out, don't expect it to actually do that stock since the ipad is the main device that uses 2A and uses proprietary methods to signal that. Then I'll open it up and short the data pins and see what I get. HOPEFULLY I can pull enough juice from it to keep both the flyer and evo happy.

Yes, Flyer does not need 9v, but only when charged from usb port. In USB case Flyer identifies power source as usb and do not try to get more than than 500mA. By shortening data pins we make Flyer identify power source as AC, so it thinks that it draws power from charger ( it expects 9V 1.62A) so charging from 5V 2A doesn't work as from 9V source. I have already tried Samsung 2A charger, Griffin car charger 2A, iPhone 1A charger.... (With data pins shortened) Flyer identifies them as AC source but current do not rise more than 500mA and only when power/screen off. When on - I think charging do not work because Battery Monitor Pro shows opposite current flow (discharge).
So:
a) Your charger is not crappy...
b) 5v*2A=10W is less than 9V*1.62A=14.58W

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Not sure why you had no luck w/ all those chargers. I've used both the flyer and my evo 4g to test, monitored w/ elixir (showing the ma flow either direction, use or charging), and several adapters both AC and car.

My flyer absolutely could draw 900ma or more out of the cheapo car charger at 5V. That's plenty to keep it charged and even add some charge slowly (about 300ma gain) while using GPS, full bright screen, and tethered over wifi to my phone.

The problem is that is a single USB charger, and my car only has 1 cig lighter port. So I'm looking for a dual-USB charger. I'll post the results of the new one that's on the way.

Reactions: linuxis

stm8

Dec 22, 2011
Midwest
i used a Griffin USB charger in my car for a while, and it didn't do a bad job. I think it was rated as 2.1 amps. I had to try several USB-to-microUSB cords to find one that was wired for charging, and not just data transfer/trickle charge.

Finally, I gave in and bought the proprietary HTC car-charger from Sprint, and it works great! If I turn on everything I can (mobile data, wifi, gps, screen brightness, nav app, etc) it will keep my EVO View running great and charge the tablet in fairly short order.

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Ok, update. Got my Bracketron adapter last night. Looks like this:
41p0I-1uM6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First I tried my HTC Evo 4G phone. From the 1A port, it pulled a great 1A charge. From the 2.1A, it shows usb charging and only 500ma. That was as I expected, since the only device most people know of that uses 2A is ipad and it uses stupid proprietary methods to detect the charger's abilities.

Next I hooked the flyer up. No surprise, it showed the same result from the 2A port. But from the 1A, it said AC charge, but only drew 500ma. So that's the same thing linuxis saw, that the flyer would only pull half amp. Not sure how/why it gets 900 from my other charger...

I also opened up this charger. Looks well built inside. However, I can't solder the data pins on the 2A jack cause there's not room. A long, thin soldering iron could do it, but I've only got a normal tip. So I think I'll try hacking up a usb cable and try that, see if I can pull more juice from this thing. Otherwise, I'll stick to my ultra-cheapo adapter and get a 2 port 12v adapter (you know, turns one lighter socket into 2) to run two chargers that way.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Hate to see you torture yourself over this.
$10,
120v @ 100w + 5v @ 500 ma. from one 12v socket
Attached wall wart and USB cable
Charge and power Flyer /View + cell phone and add in a laptop if you want.
Problem solved.

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 141

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Ah, this isn't torture. this is playing around with something. Yep, there's a simple solution, but it's ugly and crude and wouldn't fit my car very well (stupid car has the socket right under the cupholders, so using that would mean I couldn't open the cupholders at all, so I'd need a 12v extension to put the inverter on the floor).

So I'm playing around with finding a better solution... and sharing my findings so others can learn from my lessons :)

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
Im sorry but when will the auto industry wakeup and provide a better accessory power port? Do we really need that clumsy, pita, half ass, eyesore in our cars? How about a multi pin port where the cable jumps pins to get 12, 9, 5 and 3 volts.? How about auto sensing like some generic laptop chargers? Come on Europe, you did ok with mico usb ports on phones can you go after the auto industry now. I would gladly pay $100 to have a multivoltage port in the dash and the trunk/back. I know some cars had an inverter option built in as an option.

I wonder if there is a dev could come to the rescue. I remember some rom developers making their roms charge faster and also making them charge to 100%.

Anyone know where I can find the special plug that HTC used for the charger? I already have a few 9volt chargers collecting dust, would be nice to make one work for the cost of a plug?

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Keep dreaming the auto makers are never going to provide anything like that. That's why smart phone makers standardize to 5v 500ma. Except for those that don't, like HTC...LOL

Tablets are more power hungry. HTC choose to use 2 x 3.6v batteries rather than on big ass battery, probably because they had them laying around and because it's cheaper and easier to run batteries in series and do 9v @ 1.2A than to do 5v at 2A . Therefore the need for 9v for fast charging.

As far as the HTC connector its only available from HTC and I don't think they sell them to anyone.

Last edited:

linuxis

Jul 21, 2008
Vilnius
Ok, update. Got my Bracketron adapter last night. Looks like this:

Next I hooked the flyer up. No surprise, it showed the same result from the 2A port. But from the 1A, it said AC charge, but only drew 500ma. So that's the same thing linuxis saw, that the flyer would only pull half amp. Not sure how/why it gets 900 from my other charger...

I also opened up this charger. Looks well built inside. However, I can't solder the data pins on the 2A jack cause there's not room. A long, thin soldering iron could do it, but I've only got a normal tip. So I think I'll try hacking up a usb cable and try that, see if I can pull more juice from this thing. Otherwise, I'll stick to my ultra-cheapo adapter and get a 2 port 12v adapter (you know, turns one lighter socket into 2) to run two chargers that way.

If Flyer said that it see AC - cable hacking will not help.

linuxis

Jul 21, 2008
Vilnius
Keep dreaming the auto makers are never going to provide anything like that. That's why smart phone makers standardize to 5v 500ma. Except for those that don't, like HTC...LOL

Tablets are more power hungry. HTC choose to use 2 x 3.6v batteries rather than on big ass battery, probably because they had them laying around and because it's cheaper and easier to run batteries in series and do 9v @ 1.2A than to do 5v at 2A . Therefore the need for 9v for fast charging.

As far as the HTC connector its only available from HTC and I don't think they sell them to anyone.

You can buy it. I saw it somewhere on internet.

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Ok, is there anything in software that affects charging? There's gotta be something at some level, since for example it won't charge while going thru some of the rooting/flashing stuff.

I ask because I retried my cheapo charger and now get just 500ma from it even though it's recognized as AC charger. I KNOW that a week ago it was giving me 800-900ma. But I've also flashed my flyer a dozen times in between, and I have no idea what I was running when I did that earlier test.

Icefeldt

Oct 22, 2005
However, monitoring the current via Elixir says it's not getting near 1A. For example, the flyer was showing somewhere between -500ma and -700ma while unplugged (GPS on, wifi tethering). When I plugged it into this charger, it was showing around -50ma. So it's getting only around 600ma of juice, not 1000ma.

where exactly do you find this in elixir?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure why you had no luck w/ all those chargers. I've used both the flyer and my evo 4g to test, monitored w/ elixir (showing the ma flow either direction, use or charging), and several adapters both AC and car.

My flyer absolutely could draw 900ma or more out of the cheapo car charger at 5V. That's plenty to keep it charged and even add some charge slowly (about 300ma gain) while using GPS, full bright screen, and tethered over wifi to my phone.

The problem is that is a single USB charger, and my car only has 1 cig lighter port. So I'm looking for a dual-USB charger. I'll post the results of the new one that's on the way.