To «ORB» or not to «ORB», THAT is the question.

Search This thread

rdelfin

Jul 20, 2012
This is what it is stopping me from getting the Google ORB for my N4 >

I have a case (and if you don't, I commend you for your bravery). Not only I have a case, I have the Ballsitic Case, the sturdiest of them all, not intended to be taken off and on, on a blink, not at all.

And then I thought> the purpose for the orb is to avoid your self from the hassle of aligning the microUSB plug with the port and all, but if I have a case, what would be faster? To plug a cable to a phone with a case, or to incur on taking a case off in order to "avoid the hassle" of plugging.

It is more work for me to take the case off than it is to plug a micro USB cable, so no ORB for me...

Am I alone?

Last edited:

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Imo, you don't need one. It's more of a luxury than anything. But if you like it aesthetically and have the extra dough, why not.

Sent from my Droid DNA

Reactions: drpepe

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
i have the extra dough, and still passed on it. it looks very cool but for me to be truely satisfied i need one for the office, and the house. not worth 140 to fit my want. cables work fine.

Reactions: drpepe

uploder

Jun 11, 2010
North FL
as most have said the orb isnt needed but im not gonna lie it looks cool as hell! im still undecided if im gonna drop the dough for it. I also need to confirm if the ringke fusion case will work with it too. so yeah, theres that....

hgigh

Apr 19, 2011
i have the extra dough, and still passed on it. it looks very cool but for me to be truely satisfied i need one for the office, and the house. not worth 140 to fit my want. cables work fine.

I agree completely here. I would possibly consider a $40 charger but $70 is justification for the hassle of picking up a microUSB and plugging it in.

Reactions: Big_Moe33

farangutan

Jun 28, 2011
I have the Zens wireless charger and it works with the ringke slim case. I bought the Zens literally a week before the orb went up for sale. Ain't that a b*tch. I bought the orb anyway to have one at work and at home and to report back on a comparison.

hohoXD1233

Nov 13, 2012
This is what it is stopping me to get the google ORB for my N4 >

I have a case (and if you don't, I commend you for your bravery). Not only I have a case, I have the Ballsitic Case, the sturdiest of them all, not intended to be taken off and back on a blink, not at all.

And then I thought> the purpose for the orb is to avoid your self from the hassle of aligning the microUSB plug with the port and all, but if I have a case, what would be faster? To plug a cable to a phone with a case, or to incur on taking a case off in order to "avoid the hassle" of plugging.

It is more work for me to take the case off than it is to plug a micro USB cable, so no ORB for me...

Am I alone?
wait until other people with the ballstic case have got the orb to confirm whether it works or not before deciding imo

Backslash10

Oct 29, 2010
I am buying it because I had to replace my last galaxy nexus micro USB port because it went bad. I live in Florida and we have a lot of problems with corrosion. I cant tell you how many ports I've replaced over the years because of that I now have those silicon plugs on almost all my devices ports so I don't have that issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

luchoster

May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
luchoster.net
Ha we're on the same boat. I actually bought the orb the other day and 5 minutes later, I cancelled it because I thought about the case (I also have the Ballistics Case).

Although today I tried to beam with my N7 and it worked, the N7 have the Asus case that Google sells and both N4 and N7 had the case on. So it might still work even with the case on, I'm trying to see if anyone in town (Vegas) bought it so I can try it before buying it again lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

nkawal

Aug 3, 2007
New York City
Look what I got.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360942991726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360942991726.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 231

willshep

Apr 8, 2012
New England
Ha we're on the same boat. I actually bought the orb the other day and 5 minutes later, I cancelled it because I thought about the case (I also have the Ballistics Case).

Although today I tried to beam with my N7 and it worked, the N7 have the Asus case that Google sells and both N4 and N7 had the case on. So it might still work even with the case on, I'm trying to see if anyone in town (Vegas) bought it so I can try it before buying it again lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

I'm not sure if the Qi charger works through your case but keep in mind Qi/wireless induction coil has nothing to do with the technology behind beam So you wouldn't know if one would work just based on the fact that the other technology did work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Imo, you don't need one. It's more of a luxury than anything. But if you like it aesthetically and have the extra dough, why not.

Sent from my Droid DNA

I agree completely here. I would possibly consider a $40 charger but $70 is justification for the hassle of picking up a microUSB and plugging it in.
    orb == posing plinth. i'll pass.
    I'm not sure if the Qi charger works through your case but keep in mind Qi/wireless induction coil has nothing to do with the technology behind beam So you wouldn't know if one would work just based on the fact that the other technology did work.
    Charger DOES work through a case. Confirmed.