Root and Unlock Boot loader for 4.3?

Search This thread

Germanlopez007

Mar 8, 2014
Out of curiosity did jtag get you back to 4.1.But2? I don't thin
yone has reported one way or the other. From what I understand it should be impossible even for jtag but it's always good to verify.

It can only bring you back to 4.3 there's not a way back to 4.1.2 yet. But the amazing thing is that my phone still had everything I left it with... I
Was hard bricked! I soft bricked it a few times but No Odin, no nothing couldn't even turn the phone on. JTAG is real.

zach0eats0babies

Oct 8, 2013
I am a noob so you don't have to take what I say seriously. just fyi. but I recently rooted my verizon s3 with superSU and tried to flash a rom. If I try to boot it normally, it gets blocked by the verizon triangle warning, but if I boot it like you would for download mode but hit the down rocker switch to cancel it, it boots up just fine. any idea what I did? is there a way I can factory reset it so I can wait for an exploit to come out?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I am a noob so you don't have to take what I say seriously. just fyi. but I recently rooted my verizon s3 with superSU and tried to flash a rom. If I try to boot it normally, it gets blocked by the verizon triangle warning, but if I boot it like you would for download mode but hit the down rocker switch to cancel it, it boots up just fine. any idea what I did? is there a way I can factory reset it so I can wait for an exploit to come out?

No, your bootloader is locked so the reason why you're able to boot into your rom from download mode is because you're skipping the boot step that checks the recovery.

There isn't going to be an exploit anytime soon, if any at all. So your only fix is to use this step to return you completely to stock:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

Then you can read this about information on 4.3:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639337

Make sure you're on 4.3 before doing any of this, if you're unsure boot into download mode and post what it says in the top left corner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

zach0eats0babies

Oct 8, 2013
No, your bootloader is locked so the reason why you're able to boot into your rom from download mode is because you're skipping the boot step that checks the recovery.

There isn't going to be an exploit anytime soon, if any at all. So your only fix is to use this step to return you completely to stock:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

Then you can read this about information on 4.3:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639337

Make sure you're on 4.3 before doing any of this, if you're unsure boot into download mode and post what it says in the top left corner.

well Im sure that it started in 4.3 but to make sure, this is what is in the corner

ODIN MODE
Product name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: yes (1 counts)
Current Binary:custom
system status: Custom
Qualcomm secureboot: enabled
Warranty bit: 1
Bootloader AP swrev: 1

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
well Im sure that it started in 4.3 but to make sure, this is what is in the corner

ODIN MODE
Product name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: yes (1 counts)
Current Binary:custom
system status: Custom
Qualcomm secureboot: enabled
Warranty bit: 1
Bootloader AP swrev: 1

Yes you're on 4.3, so follow what I gave you.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
just out of curiosity, how can you tell? also, is the warranty bit supposed to be set as 1 or does that mean the warranty is void?

I can tell because the bottom two lines are there.

I have no idea on the warranty status, but If I had to guess I'd say it's voided.

If need be though, you might be able to send it in and they might not even check that.

jhass541

Feb 11, 2012
Next OTA update

I can tell because the bottom two lines are there.

I have no idea on the warranty status, but If I had to guess I'd say it's voided.

If need be though, you might be able to send it in and they might not even check that.

I have a question, I have a Verizon GS3 on 4.3. Would I be better off not taking the 4.4 OTA coming out next month? will the next update lock the phone down so completely that there will never be any hope of custom rom.
Updates are coming out so fast that Devs cant keep up to give us options on what we want on our phones and how they operate.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I have a question, I have a Verizon GS3 on 4.3. Would I be better off not taking the 4.4 OTA coming out next month? will the next update lock the phone down so completely that there will never be any hope of custom rom.
Updates are coming out so fast that Devs cant keep up to give us options on what we want on our phones and how they operate.

That's a good thought. It is very possible they could lock it down even further and prevent safestrap from working.

I wouldn't take any update until I'm absolutely sure what it's going to do to my device.

terpsmandan

Sep 21, 2013
That's a good thought. It is very possible they could lock it down even further and prevent safestrap from working.

I wouldn't take any update until I'm absolutely sure what it's going to do to my device.

Wish I had the choice. Sim card slot went bad. Verizon replaced it under warranty. I was running CM11 but now the the refurb that Verizon sent me was preloaded with 4.3. Didn't know that even had happened.

Faulker

Mar 18, 2013
Wish I had the choice. Sim card slot went bad. Verizon replaced it under warranty. I was running CM11 but now the the refurb that Verizon sent me was preloaded with 4.3. Didn't know that even had happened.

Same issue here. I was smart about not taking the OTA, then the phone broke. Replacement came with 4.3. Been waiting (im)patiently for some way to unlock. :(

Nov 14, 2013
Epharta
should have done my resurch

The bootloader will never be unlocked. The original bootloader on the Verizon s3 wasn't even "unlocked." It was a completely different boot image that was leaked. AFAIK, no bootloader has ever been unlocked through hard coding. There are simply loopholes & workarounds. Kexec and Safestrap are two examples of workarounds. They are pretty much just as good as the real thing so there is still hope for those crack-flashers taken off guard by the new update.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these: There have been countless "I took the 4.3 update. How do I flash ROMs?" posts. If you were really into flashing, you would never be in this situation.

It's the cardinal rule. NEVER ACCEPT OTAs!!!!!!

Thanks I always learn the hard way.. lol. well itf I had done a little more resurch . from now on i will

An0nYm0u5.bat

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks I always learn the hard way.. lol. well itf I had done a little more resurch . from now on i will

Hmmmm... Really. That's odd. Sch-1535v running 4.3 safe strapped , rooted, Knox removed, Alliance ROM, ChaotiC DroiD ROM CSC customs, build.prop customs. Running straightalk on atts side. So I am confused. I must of been asleep on the you can't do that day. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-24-45.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-24-45.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-25-25.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-25-25.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-25-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-25-50.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-26-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-07-21-26-08.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

poppers162

Nov 4, 2012
Hmmmm... Really. That's odd. Sch-1535v running 4.3 safe strapped , rooted, Knox removed, Alliance ROM, ChaotiC DroiD ROM CSC customs, build.prop customs. Running straightalk on atts side. So I am confused. I must of been asleep on the you can't do that day. Lol

I flashed Alliance rom today and my WiFi will not stay on. No matter what. I tap it and it flicks on, then off. I just got this phone for 100 bucks yesterday, perfect condition, WAS running 4.1.2 until I unknowingly installed the 4.3 update. But I heard the ml1 modules you need to flash before every rom messes with the WiFi somehow. How exactly did you flash yours?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

An0nYm0u5.bat

Jul 7, 2014
I flashed Alliance rom today and my WiFi will not stay on. No matter what. I tap it and it flicks on, then off. I just got this phone for 100 bucks yesterday, perfect condition, WAS running 4.1.2 until I unknowingly installed the 4.3 update. But I heard the ml1 modules you need to flash before every rom messes with the WiFi somehow. How exactly did you flash yours?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

I flashed with safestrap. How did you attempt flash? What did you root with? What recovery do you have? What modules? Etc.. Did you install the ml1 kernel? Did you install build 23? Did you follow from alliances XDA page? I need more input bruh. And if your phone info isn't same as mine. You didn't flash right. Start over. Go here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1973982 and follow EXACTLY beanstown directions. Boom. Up and going. Most beautiful and fastest ROM I've seen besides some stripped down junk that you can scroll super fast. Lol

And please people. (Not directed at you) please stop taking otas. Wait for a port. After all. All your gone do is root and flash it to death. So why not wait till it comes with a ROM. Etc.. Its like a bunch of girls when beiber drops new music..... OMGGGGGG!!!!!!!!, THERE.IS.AN.UPDATE!!!! AGHHHH I must have now. Lol. Ridiculous...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still keeping my ears open for an unlocked bootloder. Root is all well and good, but I'm getting jittery about flashing a different rom. Any news about progress on this?

The bootloader will never be unlocked. The original bootloader on the Verizon s3 wasn't even "unlocked." It was a completely different boot image that was leaked. AFAIK, no bootloader has ever been unlocked through hard coding. There are simply loopholes & workarounds. Kexec and Safestrap are two examples of workarounds. They are pretty much just as good as the real thing so there is still hope for those crack-flashers taken off guard by the new update.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these: There have been countless "I took the 4.3 update. How do I flash ROMs?" posts. If you were really into flashing, you would never be in this situation.

You didn't have to word it in that way. You sounded as if you were talking to a child, and then told me, in not so many words "Boo hoo, cry about it". This thread is old and I've learned quit a bit since then so next time you necro post, how about not being such a ****?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I was, but you are one of the few who take responsibility for offending someone, so it's cool.

Still, I can't sympathize with people who start threads like these

This was the part that offended me the most. Now, I'm by no means a noob, but I am man enough to admit there are LOTS of things I don't know. This phone was my brothers. HE took the OTA then traded it to me. So I was trying to find a way out of it. I've come to terms (I think) with being stuck with a locked bootloader but I am hopeful about kexec. Who knows?

Apology accepted.

You didn't have to word it in that way. You sounded as if you were talking to a child, and then told me, in not so many words "Boo hoo, cry about it". This thread is old and I've learned quit a bit since then so next time you necro post, how about not being such a ****?

Didn't mean to come off as a ****. I was just responding to the bootloader comment and went off on a rant. Sorry if you were offended.
    Yeah since I didn't even know your whole story, I wasn't necessarily referring to you (even though it sounded like that). I was more referring to people that said they knowingly accepted the OTA. I just worded it very poorly.

That's unfortunate how you ended up with the locked bootloader, but the devs we have are outstanding and I'm sure they'll get a workaround going very soon. :good: