[Q] Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE GT-I9205

Search This thread
Apr 23, 2013
Navegantes, SC
Hello everyone,

I'd like to find out, if you can help me, the following information about my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-I9205:

I am from Brazil and I have recently bought this phone in the UK on a business trip at Heathrow Airport. It was not a carrier shop, just a regular electronics shop. The phone is unlocked and working normally with my Brazilian carrier.

My questions are:

a) With the recent releases of KiKat 4.4.2 in Russia and USA for the Galaxy Mega, is there a way for me to find out (through IMEI or model number) if my phone is associated with a carrier? There was no information about it when I bought it and I just wonder if the release of KiKat for my device will depend upon this associated carrier (if there is one) for me to have it.

b) My version of the Galaxy Mega is the LTE version (GT-I9205) as opposed to the other international version (GT-I9200) and also different model number from the American one. I was thunking about trying one of the custom ROMs for the Mega but, as far as I know, the KitKat update is only related to the GT-I9200 model. Would that pose any problems if I tried to use a ROM on a different device model?

Thanks for your help!

thering1975

Aug 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi if you brought it unlocked in UK I prrseume from Dixon's travel or similar then its not associated with any carrier at all. If you flashed a ROM for the i9200 on the i9205 you would loose LTE. If you are on stock ROM you could just flash the latest from Sammy mobile be mindful of Samsung Knox. Otherwise you could flash a custom rom . I have to say for this phone and its lack of memory I moved to resurrection remix which is feature full stable and fast.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Apr 23, 2013
Navegantes, SC
Thanks!

Hi if you brought it unlocked in UK I prrseume from Dixon's travel or similar then its not associated with any carrier at all. If you flashed a ROM for the i9200 on the i9205 you would loose LTE. If you are on stock ROM you could just flash the latest from Sammy mobile be mindful of Samsung Knox. Otherwise you could flash a custom rom . I have to say for this phone and its lack of memory I moved to resurrection remix which is feature full stable and fast.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the reply! I figured the phone was unbranded and yes, I did buy it at Dixon's Travel!
The only thing I wonder now is we have seen all these carriers releasing KitKat for the Mega, how will it reach unbranded phones - will it take longer or Samsung will release accordingly with the carriers? Just a general wondering.