Tab 3 8 official kikat update (T310) + root instrucions

Search This thread

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
http://www.android.gs/galaxy-tab-3-8-0-wi-fi-android-4-4-2-ota-update-available-for-installation/
f8iQiPthKphedyuS-OwQ8GDLluuNjKY0GnsLZrpcIT-o=w541-h865-no
Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-56-40.png
Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-57-29.png

Warning!!!
Locked boot-loader, once you flash this update you cant downgrade (at Present)

Rom has no knox counter ( warranty Bit) or binary counter.
Rom used to downgrades was T310XXUAMF1_T310OXXAMF1_HOME.tar

Another safe way of trying this rom without fear, is flashing it with mobile odin,mobile odin does not flash boot-loaders so you are safe to downgrade etc.
you may find that you WiFi does not work when rom flashed with mobile odin, that means that the older boot loader is not compatible with the new rom.

Update 1

Once You flash the rom the device will reboot several times, because my previous rom was customized i had to perform a hard reset.

this rom has some kind of KNOX according to superuser

The rom also adds a new entry to download mode AP SWREV: A1

How to root?

download Cf-auto-root from here and flash it via odin then go to google play and install superuser from chainfire, launch it and update normally.

UPDATE 2...
Rom has a watered down version of knox but no common KNOX entrie in download mode.

Q:Can i install a custom recovery is this rom?
A: YES.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
what we really want to know is does this update have the locked bootloader? If so, then you may possibly forever be stuck with touchwiz and stock based ROMs..

Last edited:

faria

Warning!!!

Another safe way of trying this rom without fear, is flashing it with mobile odin,mobile odin does not flash boot-loaders so you are safe to downgrade etc.
you may find that you WiFi does not work when rom flashed with mobile odin, that means that the older boot loader is not compatible with the new rom.

Last edited:

thebestiam

Jul 6, 2013
If I'm rooted, can I just install regular? No custom recovery. Just stock everything except rooted.

Sent from my XT1031 using XDA Free mobile app

abramq

Dec 24, 2006
Any views to get this ROM for 3G version of Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 ?

Last edited:

HavokbyName

Jun 18, 2014
Warning!!!

did you brick your device in the process or did it just fail flashing & error out, or did it work but only flash 4.2 system leaving new bootloader intact?

so with this finding, just to be clear on this, no custom roms can be used for those who upgraded with new bootloader?

would it be possible to restore 4.2 rom backup of only system.img in custom recovery or will it not boot?

sorry for lots of q's

Last edited:

faria

did you brick your device in the process or did it just fail flashing & error out, or did it work but only flash 4.2 system leaving new bootloader intact?

so with this finding, just to be clear on this, no custom roms can be used for those who upgraded with new bootloader?

would it be possible to restore 4.2 rom backup of only system.img in custom recovery or will it not boot?

sorry for lots of q's

Yes I got what is called a semi brick when trying to downgrade the rom when flashing the bootloader partition. This is easily remedied by going into download mode and flashing kit kat.

The good news is once you got the new bootloader installed, it will be virtually impossible to brick your device by conventional means.

Yes, locked bootloader means you can't have custom kernels, but you can have customs recoveries and roms.

In theory yes, but as far as I know only bootloader above 4.3 are compatible with kit kat rom, it may work but you may find that certain drivers will nor work, like loss of wi-Fi may occur. I Know this from my experiences with the note 2 and s4.

Last edited:
Reactions: HavokbyName

errol19

Aug 3, 2012
Adelaide
Yes I have just downloaded KITKAT 4.4.2 for my GALAXY Tab3 8.0 LTE SM-T315
PDA: T315XWUANA1
From sammobile

Link here

Sorry this link is still 4.2.2 jellybean link removed

Last edited:

HavokbyName

Jun 18, 2014
UPDATE

@faria

ok, just restoring 4.2 system.img from twrp backup doesn't work, doesn't boot, blank screen after initial samsung logo, didn't try restoring 4.2 boot.img with it though, thought that had something to do with bootloader but reading up it doesn't appear to, so if i restored that as well maybe it would boot?

flashing custom roms like cm11.0 is still possible as you say & seems to work just fine using this new bootloader, even shows blackhawk kernel in settings/about, should this be possible as its custom kernel?

i didn't have to do anything at all different than when i was on 4.2, just flash custom rom through recovery as normal

no new entries in odin/download mode info screen, all lines still the same

now i don't feel so bad upgrading

Last edited:

HavokbyName

Jun 18, 2014
@HavokbyName
Please download Device info from the playstore byjphilli85, run it and post your kernel version an boot-loader version.

I would not be suprised if we can also flash custom kernels to the tab as the Knox version the device have seems to be a watered down version.
Thanks for the feedback.

here, running latest cm build to date:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-21-09-50-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-21-09-50-55.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Screenshot_2014-06-21-09-49-26.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-21-09-49-26.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 405

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.android.gs/galaxy-tab-3-8-0-wi-fi-android-4-4-2-ota-update-available-for-installation/
    f8iQiPthKphedyuS-OwQ8GDLluuNjKY0GnsLZrpcIT-o=w541-h865-no
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-56-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-57-29.png

Warning!!!

Update 1

Once You flash the rom the device will reboot several times, because my previous rom was customized i had to perform a hard reset.

this rom has some kind of KNOX according to superuser

The rom also adds a new entry to download mode AP SWREV: A1

How to root?

download Cf-auto-root from here and flash it via odin then go to google play and install superuser from chainfire, launch it and update normally.

UPDATE 2...
    Rom has a watered down version of knox but no common KNOX entrie in download mode.

Warning!!!

I am not much into rooting so i needed a bit of help.
    I was able to flash the kitkat rom manually.
    now i want to root, so i wanted to ask you which version of odin should i use to flash cf auto root file and which all boxes should be ticked in odin.

if u could please give me a link of the correct odin version, that would be a great help. And also tell which boxes to tick in odin.

Thanks a lot :)

Use the same version you used for kitkat. The first box should be blue and auto reboot unchecked. Everything else is the same. click on ap and choose the cf auto file (post #1). Then click start. It will about 10 seconds and say reset. The keep it still pluged in and hold the power button to shutdown. It won't shutdown but actually reboot. The Samsung tab 3 sign will show, then the scary cf auto root red bot page and then continues with normal startup except it will say android updating. Grab a cup of coffee and give around 15 to 30 mins. When it's done, unlock your phone and go to super su. It will say knox detected, do you want to remove,Select yes. Then let it's binaries update. After that you ready to roll. Cheers☺☺☺

Don't forget to smash my thanks button!☺?

Sent from my expensive toaster.
    Yea! We need the jb video player! ☺☺☺
    Can anyone get it for us?
    I tried every player but the jb video player stands out of them all.
    Faria? Anyone? Unfortunately I'm not a developer.?
    And if someone can get it for us then everyone gains benefit from it.
    Please help us in this regard. ☺

I've managed to get hold of the Video Player from JellyBean if anyone wants to have a go at trying to install it in KitKat.
    Please let us know how it goes, and how you managed to achieve it.
    here, running latest cm build to date:

Well its official, custom kernels are supported!:laugh:
    the only thing we cant change is the bootloader, but at this stage who cares!

Many thanks.