[Q] Note 3 System Backup

Search This thread

7US

Jan 24, 2014
Background
I do not plan on flashing roms, I have a rooted note 3(900t) with knox at 0x0(want to keep it that way). I do not want to backup APKs or personal information.
Desire
I only want to make a backup of all of my critical system files necessary to do a soft reboot. So that in a worst case scenario I never have to worry about not being able to reset my phone.
Reason
I plan on editing files with a root explorer and using Xposed framework.

Hope this is a little more clear, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
X

x102x96x

I have a rooted note 3 with a knox warranty of 0x0. I would like to make a full backup of any system files that could become corrupted so that I may restore them without tripping the knox. I do not care about backing up Apps(Actually prefer to manually install them as I need them), I have all of my APK files manually backed up. Additionally I want to install Xprivacy and Xposed framework but they always warn to do a full backup. I was playing around with ADB as well but that backup seems to be directed at Apps and Contacts which I don't care about. Would it be safe to just install Xposed framework and Xprivacy and rely on the factory reset? Or is there some method I should use of doing a complete system backup. Also how would I restore that backup? (preferably I would like to have a nice backup/recovery method that I know I can always restore from my computer in case somehow one of my system files get deleted) Thank you for your help. I like to edit my system files and I have no problem using the standard phone reset I am more worried about critical failures really just as a failsafe.

too long.
if i get right from this longe sentences;
u cannot backup knox counter.
u can make nandroid backup from ur system but knox counter will change its value.

:good:

7US

Jan 24, 2014
too long.
if i get right from this longe sentences;
u cannot backup knox counter.
u can make nandroid backup from ur system but knox counter will change its value.

I fixed my original post, hope it is more clear for you.

I know I cannot backup my knox counter, which is why I do not plan on installing CWM.

I am new to the Android operating system and read many threads about different methods of backing up and restoring(CWM/Titanium Backup/etc) but they always seem to be centered around backing up APKs+Contacts or backing up Roms for Rom Flashing.

I am trying to understand what I need to backup to be safe to play around with my system files and Xposed and always be able to restore any damage that I may do.

So far I played around with ADB a little bit and saw some tutorials on how to do full backups through ADB but not for the note 3. Thanks for your help! I plan on experimenting and such on my own but first I want to make sure I have necessary backups to not worry about crippling the OS.

Perhaps a question within my question is.. What type of backup do I need? What files need to be preserved for me to be able to do a system reboot to restore the phone? Is it safe for me to be using Xposed without a backup and playing around with system files? Will the soft reboot restore these files? If not what needs to be backed up, that really is my question.

Last edited:
X

x102x96x

I fixed my original post, hope it is more clear for you.

I know I cannot backup my knox counter, which is why I do not plan on installing CWM.

I am new to the Android operating system and read many threads about different methods of backing up and restoring(CWM/Titanium Backup/etc) but they always seem to be centered around backing up APKs+Contacts or backing up Roms for Rom Flashing.

I am trying to understand what I need to backup to be safe to play around with my system files and Xposed and always be able to restore any damage that I may do.

So far I played around with ADB a little bit and saw some tutorials on how to do full backups through ADB but not for the note 3. Thanks for your help! I plan on experimenting and such on my own but first I want to make sure I have necessary backups to not worry about crippling the OS.

Perhaps a question within my question is.. What type of backup do I need? What files need to be preserved for me to be able to do a system reboot to restore the phone? Is it safe for me to be using Xposed without a backup and playing around with system files? Will the soft reboot restore these files? If not what needs to be backed up, that really is my question.

instead of making backup of ur system files u can download a firmware of ur region!
if something goes wrong when u try to modifying then flash the stock rom.
however u can easily copy a file to another direction and then paste back to original if issue appears.
for example build.prop and etc.
and for ur firmware as i said u can make nandroid backup (thr s lots of tools in play.store for it that not need custom recovery) (if i say correctly!)

A.N.Droid

Dec 1, 2013
LeEco Le Max 2
Background
I do not plan on flashing roms, I have a rooted note 3(900t) with knox at 0x0(want to keep it that way). I do not want to backup APKs or personal information.
Desire
I only want to make a backup of all of my critical system files necessary to do a soft reboot. So that in a worst case scenario I never have to worry about not being able to reset my phone.
suggestion:
you could use safestrap.
it is based on the twrp custom recovery but it will not trip knox !
read the thread before using it. you have some more benefits using ss, you will see.
backup the system and data partition and you are safe.
please note that this will never backup the content of your internal storage like your music, videos ond so on.
just dont wipe/format your internal storage from recovery or if you feel you need to, copy the whole content to your pc first.

additional things to backup:
you might want to backup your efs and maybe your pit file too.
easy to find info on this forum.

if you want to read more about backing up via adb, directly to the pc then this thread is for you.
i made a backup of the whole memory block one time, just for the worst case...
basicly, you just need the required files, open 2 cygwin windows and copy and paste(right click) the commands from the first 2 codeboxes from the thread into that windows.

hope this helps ;)

7US

Jan 24, 2014
suggestion:
you could use safestrap.
it is based on the twrp custom recovery but it will not trip knox !
read the thread before using it. you have some more benefits using ss, you will see.
backup the system and data partition and you are safe.
please note that this will never backup the content of your internal storage like your music, videos ond so on.
just dont wipe/format your internal storage from recovery or if you feel you need to, copy the whole content to your pc first.

additional things to backup:
you might want to backup your efs and maybe your pit file too.
easy to find info on this forum.

if you want to read more about backing up via adb, directly to the pc then this thread is for you.
i made a backup of the whole memory block one time, just for the worst case...
basicly, you just need the required files, open 2 cygwin windows and copy and paste(right click) the commands from the first 2 codeboxes from the thread into that windows.

hope this helps ;)

Very interesting! Reading the 2nd link made me think... could I even recover my files through ADB if I crippled my OS? Don't I need to boot into the device to even get to ADB? Or can I access ADB through the stock boot screen without CWM? Safestrap also looks very tempting. Also do you have a list of the note 3 partitions for me to make ADB backups I have been looking for them on Google and can't find them anywhere the Android file structure is a jungle to me especially how it varies from phone to phone.

Last edited:

A.N.Droid

Dec 1, 2013
LeEco Le Max 2
Very interesting! Reading the 2nd link made me think... could I even recover my files through ADB if I crippled my OS? Don't I need to boot into the device to even get to ADB? Or can I access ADB through the stock boot screen without CWM? Safestrap also looks very tempting. Also do you have a list of the note 3 partitions for me to make ADB backups I have been looking for them on Google and can't find them anywhere the Android file structure is a jungle to me especially how it varies from phone to phone.
i´m not sure for the stock recovery but from twrp you can use this adb backup method. i just did it a few days ago.
you must change the path in the commands from /system/xbin to /sbin and no need for su.
it should work from safestrap too but i couldn´t get adb to work, some error message was shown.

for the partitions:
system ,data, efs
and maybe modemst1 and modemst2

theres a full list of partitions and an interesting discussion about this topic on this thread.