[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Builds for NookColor [5/3/13]

Search This thread

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Updated 5/3/13
The Nook Color is now an official CM 10.1 device! This is a huge milestone in the development of a device of this age!

You can now find builds at http://get.cm/?device=encore

I will keep the remainder of the post below for informational purposes but users should click the link above to get the latest builds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 3/17/13
*Beta 2 released, sync'd with latest CM sources
*Further kernel updates, thanks again to steven676 for all his work!
*Bootanimation still funky...

Updated 2/27/13
*Beta 1 released, sync'd with latest CM sources and updated to 4.2.2.
*Latest kernel changes are included. Thanks steven676.

KNOWN ISSUE:

Android 4.2.2 has some new adb security features which require you to authorize the computer that you're connecting to on your device. Please make sure you have the latest adb version (update it via sdk manager). The initial adb auth doesn't always work when connected with MTP - the workaround is to switch to UMS mode (settings-storage-menu) then auth the device (and remember the keys). After that you can switch back to MTP and it'll work from then on for that computer.

*** If you have a non-development related question/comment about 3rd party mods/add-ons then DO NOT post in this thread, it for bug reports and comments on the build provided without modifications. Please keep all user discussion in the thread in general: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2170185 ***

Original OP

Following closely on the heels of our official status as a CM10 device, the NookieDevs present CyanogenMod 10.1 Alpha for the Nook Color!

As stated, this is an Alpha release for people to get a sense of the new features in Android 4.2.1. Performance doesn't seem quite up to par as CM10 as yet, and any lingering bugs in CM10 will likely be present in this release. While almost everything is working, we do expect users to uncover some additional bugs. Please take precautions to backup your device/data.

You should be able to flash this over CM10; however, if you run into a bug, please do a full wipe and reinstall before reporting. See Post 2 for wipe procedures and gapps information.

Known issues:
1) Initial boot animation doesn't display correctly
2) Some performance issues (remember this is 2010 hardware we're working with...)

Please read over the CM10 thread as the bulk of fattire's introduction still holds true for this release.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER

Understand that there are likely to be bugs, both known and unknown, and that all appropriate experimental-software disclaimers apply, including the fact that by using or attempting to use this software, you assume all risk for fooling with your hardware. We will not be held responsible for any potential loss of data, destruction of hardware, removal or disappearance of limbs, life, or coins in the couch. We do not claim this software is fit for any purpose, etc. Beware of Dragons.

This said, we do feel that the our work is finally “good enough” for interested people with a tolerance for risk to get their hands on.

Of course credits and thanks to all those who have contributed: fattire, keyodi, sluo, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor and many more.

Source:
https://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1

Download:
Beta2: cm-10.1-encore-b2.zip MD5: 455cf35156feabc6ac630dce51d29454

Previous builds:
Beta1: cm-10.1-encore-b1-stillsomebugs.zip MD5: 1afea80885f349b810b5130a30d6593e
Alpha1: cm-10.1-a1-encore-fullofbugs.zip MD5: aa47473b5c3f743f3033c7cd7ac29f19

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Frequently asked questions

Where did the developer settings go?
Where did the performance menu (overclocking settings, etc.) go?

Google and CyanogenMod decided to hide those settings by default in Android 4.2. To enable them, go to Settings->About tablet and tap on the build number seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)

Last edited:

rampart51

Feb 2, 2011
FYI I can report it does install in an SD card. Had to start from scratch. Too many issues flashing it on top of Schizod. But I knew that up front.

Thanks for your efforts!

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT
Am I actually reading this?!? You guys are amazing!!!!!
To build from source, it's like the PA 4.1.2, but instead we use
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore.git -b jellybean
Right?
Do I even need the -b jellybean?
And to build the ROM, it's still
Code:
./rom-build.sh encore
THANK YOU!

Last edited:

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Am I actually reading this?!? You guys are amazing!!!!!
To build from source, it's like the PA 4.1.2, but instead we use
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore.git -b jellybean
Right?
Do I even need the -b jellybean?
And to build the ROM, it's still
Code:
./rom-build.sh encore
THANK YOU!

Not quite. If you previously set up your repo for PA then you should re-init for building CM:

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1

Then perform a sync and modify your your local_manifest.xml to include:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <remote fetch="git://github.com/" name="gh" />

<project name="NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore" path="device/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="NookieDevs/ti-omap-encore-kernel3" path="kernel/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="encore-omap3-3" />
      <project name="eyeballer/proprietary_vendor_bn" path="vendor/bn" remote="gh" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>

For now the device repo is still only on NookieDevs - the kernel is up to date on both CM's repo and NookieDevs so you can actually use either for building.

Reactions: bowguy

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT
Not quite. If you previously set up your repo for PA then you should re-init for building CM:

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1

Then perform a sync and modify your your local_manifest.xml to include:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <remote fetch="git://github.com/" name="gh" />

<project name="NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore" path="device/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="NookieDevs/ti-omap-encore-kernel3" path="kernel/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="encore-omap3-3" />
      <project name="eyeballer/proprietary_vendor_bn" path="vendor/bn" remote="gh" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>

For now the device repo is still only on NookieDevs - the kernel is up to date on both CM's repo and NookieDevs so you can actually use either for building.

Yeah, but if I didn't init for PA, would I have to edit the manifest? And I would use the -b cm-10.1, right? Sorry, I'm still a noob.

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Yeah, but if I didn't init for PA, would I have to edit the manifest? And I would use the -b cm-10.1, right? Sorry, I'm still a noob.

Actually you'd still need to init if you only built CM10 before so that all your repos update to 10.1. Then just update the local manifest with our 10.1 branch for the device.

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT
Putting up a quick review on Youtube:
http://youtu.be/NHl8sib5PUs
Will take about 20 or so minutes to actually load tho

EDIT: OK, it's uploaded.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

I found a bug:
The multitasking button stopped working (the double rectangle thing), but the holding the 'n' button got me to M.T.ing just fine. Can't get a logcat right now, I rotated the Nook while getting the USB cord, and then it worked fine again after rotating it back. Will try to get a logcat next time it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: pckoloji

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
It works

Thanks Devs, cool to be on the bleeding edge.

Dirty flashed this over the CM10 2/3 weekly, wiped cache and fixed permissions. Boot animation is distorted, squished to top half of screen and right 40% cut off, almost like it was trying to display 600x1024 onto 1024x600 or something, this also happened on subsequent re-boots.
There is no Performance tab in settings - was this intentional?
Most everything seems to work, although seat of pants impression is that it is ~20% slower than the latest CM10 weeklies, not really laggy, just a bit slower, like if CPU clock was running at 800 instead of the 1100 that I'm used to, but Quadrant reports that CPU is at 300 min, 1100 max, maybe carried over from CM10 settings?
Only real buggy thing, other than the boot animation was the new Settings > System > Quick Settings panel tab, the first time I selected it, screen went totally black, then nav and notification bar came back, and then system re-booted, since then it seems to work OK.
I notice that Gallery is not syncing with Picassa, can I flash gapps-jb-picassa-20121011-signed.zip over this? I do not see any newer picassa gapps packages on goo.im?

Overall, pretty impressive, thanks again and great job, I'm willing to stick with it for a while.

Reactions: meteorrock

frankusb

Mar 8, 2011

Go in to settings about tablet and press the build number 10 times. This is a 4.2 feature.

Frank

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I flashed this over top of 1/27/2013 with the test kernel, updated gapps, cleared cache and dalvik cache and booted. I have not noticed any problems if anything it feels faster than CM10 but maybe because I just booted. I really like the CM lock screen addition of weather.

Frank

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
I notice that Gallery is not syncing with Picassa, can I flash gapps-jb-picassa-20121011-signed.zip over this? I do not see any newer picassa gapps packages on goo.im?

Overall, pretty impressive, thanks again and great job, I'm willing to stick with it for a while.

Haven't tested it, but it should work just fine, please report back. If you hit a problem, just follow the gapps issue steps in post 2.

Reactions: webyrd

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT

Dirty flashed this over the CM10 2/3 weekly, wiped cache and fixed permissions. Boot animation is distorted, squished to top half of screen and right 40% cut off, almost like it was trying to display 600x1024 onto 1024x600 or something, this also happened on subsequent re-boots.
Most everything seems to work, although seat of pants impression is that it is ~20% slower than the latest CM10 weeklies, not really laggy, just a bit slower, like if CPU clock was running at 800 instead of the 1100 that I'm used to, but Quadrant reports that CPU is at 300 min, 1100 max, maybe carried over from CM10 settings?
Only real buggy thing, other than the boot animation was the new Settings > System > Quick Settings panel tab, the first time I selected it, screen went totally black, then nav and notification bar came back, and then system re-booted, since then it seems to work OK.

To get the performance and developer settings, go to Build Number in about tablet and tap it. A lot. As for the boot animation, that was reported in the OP, they're prbly fixing that. I haven't had the Quick Settings problem, can you get a logcat or dmesg? And the Picassa, is that for 4.1.2 only, or will it work with any version? I reccomend that you just flash and see what happens.

Reactions: webyrd

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Installed fine

Installed rom and gapps, wiped cache, and fixed permissions. Everything came up fine. Noticed a little sluggishness, but no complaints for Alpha 1. Great work guys. A sincere congrats and thanks to all who worked so hard. This is so cutting edge my fingers are bleeding, well almost.

:good::highfive::silly::laugh::eek::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tschumi

EAK128

Mar 18, 2011
Other than the known bootloader logo bug no issues to report. A little bit more lag than cm10, but not enough for me to switch back to it. Will give it a day to see how it goes. Looking good guys, great job!

frankusb

Mar 8, 2011
Well devs, consider this piece of hardware owned, by you. I am really amazed at where you've taken this ebook reader.

Overnight, the battery drain was 1-2%, highly impressive. It continues to perform admirably.

I can confirm the lack of picasa sync in Gallery, but I have not wiped system and reinstalled both the rom and gapps.

Frank

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Well devs, consider this piece of hardware owned, by you. I am really amazed at where you've taken this ebook reader.

Overnight, the battery drain was 1-2%, highly impressive. It continues to perform admirably.

I can confirm the lack of picasa sync in Gallery, but I have not wiped system and reinstalled both the rom and gapps.

Frank

Did you try flashing the picasa sync google gallery from cm10? Link is in post 2 of the CM10 thread.

frankusb

Mar 8, 2011
Did you try flashing the picasa sync google gallery from cm10? Link is in post 2 of the CM10 thread.

That fixed it. I had to go in settings under my Settings/Google/my account and turn on Google Photo syncing and after a bit, the photos showed up. It took some time, a few minutes, but then the Gallery had the pictures.

Edit: Hmm, still syncing after 6 minutes though.

Edit 2: Sync finished after 9 minutes. Call this experiment successful.

Frank

Last edited:

warbrain1986

Aug 9, 2012
Austin
dirty flash

Just flashed this over CM10 and no issues at all so far. I'll tinker around with everything later on and see if anything seems wonky but so far so good. Running Noop scheduler and OC'd at 1100.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated 5/3/13
    The Nook Color is now an official CM 10.1 device! This is a huge milestone in the development of a device of this age!

You can now find builds at http://get.cm/?device=encore

I will keep the remainder of the post below for informational purposes but users should click the link above to get the latest builds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated 3/17/13
    *Beta 2 released, sync'd with latest CM sources
    *Further kernel updates, thanks again to steven676 for all his work!
    *Bootanimation still funky...

Updated 2/27/13
    *Beta 1 released, sync'd with latest CM sources and updated to 4.2.2.
    *Latest kernel changes are included. Thanks steven676.

KNOWN ISSUE:

Android 4.2.2 has some new adb security features which require you to authorize the computer that you're connecting to on your device. Please make sure you have the latest adb version (update it via sdk manager). The initial adb auth doesn't always work when connected with MTP - the workaround is to switch to UMS mode (settings-storage-menu) then auth the device (and remember the keys). After that you can switch back to MTP and it'll work from then on for that computer.

*** If you have a non-development related question/comment about 3rd party mods/add-ons then DO NOT post in this thread, it for bug reports and comments on the build provided without modifications. Please keep all user discussion in the thread in general: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2170185 ***

Original OP

Following closely on the heels of our official status as a CM10 device, the NookieDevs present CyanogenMod 10.1 Alpha for the Nook Color!

As stated, this is an Alpha release for people to get a sense of the new features in Android 4.2.1. Performance doesn't seem quite up to par as CM10 as yet, and any lingering bugs in CM10 will likely be present in this release. While almost everything is working, we do expect users to uncover some additional bugs. Please take precautions to backup your device/data.

You should be able to flash this over CM10; however, if you run into a bug, please do a full wipe and reinstall before reporting. See Post 2 for wipe procedures and gapps information.

Known issues:
    1) Initial boot animation doesn't display correctly
    2) Some performance issues (remember this is 2010 hardware we're working with...)

Please read over the CM10 thread as the bulk of fattire's introduction still holds true for this release.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER

Understand that there are likely to be bugs, both known and unknown, and that all appropriate experimental-software disclaimers apply, including the fact that by using or attempting to use this software, you assume all risk for fooling with your hardware. We will not be held responsible for any potential loss of data, destruction of hardware, removal or disappearance of limbs, life, or coins in the couch. We do not claim this software is fit for any purpose, etc. Beware of Dragons.

This said, we do feel that the our work is finally “good enough” for interested people with a tolerance for risk to get their hands on.

Of course credits and thanks to all those who have contributed: fattire, keyodi, sluo, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor and many more.

Source:
    https://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1

Download:
    Beta2: cm-10.1-encore-b2.zip MD5: 455cf35156feabc6ac630dce51d29454

Previous builds:
    Beta1: cm-10.1-encore-b1-stillsomebugs.zip MD5: 1afea80885f349b810b5130a30d6593e
    Alpha1: cm-10.1-a1-encore-fullofbugs.zip MD5: aa47473b5c3f743f3033c7cd7ac29f19
    Nightly builds!

Starting today, we have official CM10.1 nightly builds available at the usual location: http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=nightly . If you're currently running one of eyeballer's CM10.1 alpha/beta builds (don't forget to thank him for cranking them out!), you'll want to upgrade -- the CM10.1 nightlies include significant performance improvements over beta 2 and should be at least as stable (if not more).
    Gapps for 4.2.2: http://techerrata.com/file/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip
    Mirror: http://goo.im/gapps

If you run into a gapps related issue:
    1) Wipe system manually in recovery
    2) Flash rom then gapps

If you still run into issues:
    1) Wipe system manually
    2) Wipe data (factory reset)
    3) Flash rom and gapps
    Frequently asked questions

Where did the developer settings go?
    Where did the performance menu (overclocking settings, etc.) go?

Google and CyanogenMod decided to hide those settings by default in Android 4.2. To enable them, go to Settings->About tablet and tap on the build number seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)
    I just installed the 5/25 nightly (was on RC2) and the CM updater still crashes when I check for updates. I did clear cache & data for the updater app too and no change.

I've been having cm updater issues too as of 5/18 nightly.

Anyone want to provide more information (I've quoted the original request below for reference)? Anyone? I don't have magical remote-tablet-diagnosis powers -- I need something to work with here.

For everyone having problems with CMUpdater crashing -- could you please post the contents of any files with extension ".changelog" you find in /sdcard/cmupdater? (Also, a logcat of the crash would be helpful -- we have one (thanks sziggins!), but more would help to confirm we're looking at the same problem here.)

As for any other problems, please check the following before reporting:
    • Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.1? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
    • Are you overclocking? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or SOD, you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
    • Do you have any patches, custom kernels (any of my "test" kernels included), or other tweaks applied? (To be clear, we're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

When reporting, please include the following information if at all possible:
    • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
    • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
    • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
    • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

I can make my nook color screaming fast by shotgunning it on CM 10.1. You guys are just not wanting to debug. Hate to be direct but that is the truth. Got all of my lag reducer apps linked down in cyanogenmod. You are forgetting speed over features. You guys ran off dalingrin who did great work on the CM 7.2 series. I bet he spent tons of time getting that build up fast.

Also why did no one pick up a mod for overclocking more? I am seeing controversy with the developers over this, this tells me the kernels are not as stable as they like or they would not care. Dont let them run off.

There is lag reports all over the internet on just the nexus 7 for jellybean too. Fix the problems please. I spent lots of time promoting this project and you guys are just making us look like slackers. You are better than this. You are geniuses with code. Work that magic more and give us love too.

Let me say this (relatively) nicely, hopefully before someone else does in a less, uh, restrained way: no one (here) is obligated to do anything for you. These are all-volunteer projects we're talking about, and the people working on them have the right to spend their spare time however they wish. If those wishes don't align with yours, that's your problem, not theirs.

Put another way, you're welcome to ask for certain features, or for certain bugs to be fixed, but you should not expect, let alone demand, that something be done.