Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 rom version 1a (4-4-10)

Search This thread

larikar

Mar 10, 2010
Hi all. I am testing WM 6.5 on my A696. First of all, bugreports for previously posted bugs:

1) Bluetoooth. Works fine, I test it with bluetooth-GPRS and send file services. Bluetooth icon in Start -> Setting menu was missed (black square), but today it appeared, possibly after soft reset.

2) Task Manager problem, its known bug, as I see.

3) When I tap on screen, only ever second tap works. But sound of tap work in every tap.

I'm trying to fix today's screen with barmaley's advices, but still no success.

Steven855

Update: finally found a fix for the today screen problem that ACTUALLY WORKS (details are soon to follow)

Update2: I found out that the today screen and the sound and notifications control panel applet (whose problems have plagued a couple of roms now) are tied to phone functionality. In order to really fix these problems, I would have to make a new rom (I have such a test rom sitting in my archives that's just the 1st WM6.5 rom with the fixes for phone, nothing else; phone doesn't work for voip yet). Unfortunately, I can't churn out a new rom until Easter because I am sending my A626 back to Asus to fix a few things they missed when I sent it in for an RMA before and I won't be home until Easter (going to a Catholic college, I get a spring break and an Easter break).

Last edited:

cold-zero

Mar 14, 2010
First of all i want to say that you are doing a great job with this.
Second, i tested WM6.5 on my Asus MyPal A696 and I encountered the same bugs mentioned before.
  • The Today Screen it's not showing the icons
  • Bluetooth not sending/receiving files
  • Task Manager that doesn't start(it only flashes a few times and then disapears).

I want to mention that when i instaled the firmware at the first run i could see the time and date shown on the Today Screen and i could start the Task Manager from the Start Menu and it worked.

I'll post updates if i encounter any other bugs.

life-saver

Feb 15, 2010
I am truely impressed with the 6.5 build for my asus 626.

the task manager works fine,
I did not try bluetooth.
i will try the registry fix for today,

all my apps are installing fine with the eexception of Opera10 who seems to have insufficient free memory to run. any one knows a good browser beside opera and explorer?

life-saver

Feb 15, 2010
ok now this is odd, and may help debugging.

After first boot (after install)
everything looked fine the task manager was working perfectly without any problems at all.

I did the registery change for today(manually enabled and disabled some features), and soft rebooted.

Now the Taskmanager is behaving like described by others (closing imediately)
Nothing changed with the today screen (didn't work?)

life-saver

Feb 15, 2010
tried the task manager 2-3 times, and was closing on start. after 2 days, without soft-rebooting, i tried again , and it started... and working fine... mysterious mystery...

Steven855

Just to let everyone know my anticipated release schedule:

WM6.1 classic: I plan to release a "Final Mix" classic rom to close my rom updates for the WM6.1 series (I might release a bug fix rom in case something goes heywire in the final mix rom)

WM6.1 VOIP: Following my Final Mix classic rom, I will try to work on this more (I had a VOIP rom in my archives, but it was a test rom). Once I find a program that can configure operator settings easily, I will add it and try to get a rom out.

WM6.5 classic: I found a fix for the today screen, but I still have to find some way to make that into a classic rom.

WM6.5 VOIP: to be announced

jhonnyD2

Mar 9, 2010
is not the wm6.5 get completed and free of bugs till now? i though it is now... but great job to make it.

larikar

Mar 10, 2010
I am sorry for little offtopic, but I think it will be interesting for all A6X6 owners, who are waiting for WM 6.5 on their devices. I found working WM6.5 image for our PPC, on this russian forum: 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=45010&hl=A696%20wm6&st=760

Look to the post on last page, with screenshots. Now I get it on my A696, preparing to test.

Steven855

I am sorry for little offtopic, but I think it will be interesting for all A6X6 owners, who are waiting for WM 6.5 on their devices. I found working WM6.5 image for our PPC, on this russian forum: 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=45010&hl=A696%20wm6&st=760

Look to the post on last page, with screenshots. Now I get it on my A696, preparing to test.
This is not off topic at all. Thanks for showing this to me. I did say that I have a working image, but I have it stored at home. Thankfully, I am going home on Wednesday evening for Easter, so I will be working on this during the day on Maundy Thursday.

Steven855

I think I have found a possible fix for the today screen problem that I have already put out. Using a registry editor, go in to "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CHome]" and look for the value of "ExtensibilityXML". Delete all references to "CPhone", "CVoicemail", and "CText" (I will have these changes already included in my next rom). Please tell me if that gets the today screen working again. If not, I have some additional areas to delete the above strings from.

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I think I have found a possible fix for the today screen problem that I have already put out. Using a registry editor, go in to "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CHome]" and look for the value of "ExtensibilityXML". Delete all references to "CPhone", "CVoicemail", and "CText" (I will have these changes already included in my next rom). Please tell me if that gets the today screen working again. If not, I have some additional areas to delete the above strings from.

Steven - I delete those values and soft reset. I still don't get the today screen to come up... we are talking about getting the Titanium home screen correct?

Steven855

Yes, I am talking about getting the titanium home screen working. Another thing I want to know, is anyone having trouble soft resetting via a program or os function in this rom? I was having trouble with soft reseting before I sent my A626 off for Asus repairs (I do however have it back from Asus and will have it in my possession again on Wednesday night).

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Yes, I am talking about getting the titanium home screen working. Another thing I want to know, is anyone having trouble soft resetting via a program or os function in this rom? I was having trouble with soft reseting before I sent my A626 off for Asus repairs (I do however have it back from Asus and will have it in my possession again on Wednesday night).

I use the included program, don't have the name on me right now, but it give the option to soft reboot and that always has worked for me.

fireant

Oct 19, 2008
bug report

Had some time to test the firmware on an a696 and encountered some of the listed bugs:
Non working bluetooth
No icons on Today screen

Other than that, this is great work! I will continue to look for bugs, and thanks again!

darky_mtp

Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for your work.

I had to hex-edit the rom to be able to use it (replace:0xC 09 04 => 36 D6).