[APP][ABANDONED] z4mod

Search This thread

luckyluis

Oct 29, 2010
Cascais
JPU,JPX,JPY

Howzit RyanZA,

Thanks china.From one South African to another,I really "smaak";) the work you´ve been doing.Used your lagfix and root apps before and they were very "lekker".:D
Listen boet, I just wanted to know if z4mod works on STOCK JPU,JPX and JPY on my I9000 SGS?:confused:

I´d like a little feedback before I test.:)

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Z4mod work on all froyo.
But you need to be rooted and you need to gave the latest busybox.
Then it should not have any problem.

**DamianGTO Steam kernel. 350MB Ram. 500HZ. ext2/jfs . js3 base**

zuNcHAN

Nov 2, 2010
Calgary
hey DamianGto, i'm not too sure what i'm doing wrong but if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

I have JL1 (FROYO.UXJL1 Captivate) and i didn't use the site to patch (also because I don't know how to find my kernel/flash though I should probably read about it), but I used the app to see if it would patch. The patch doesn't work and I do have the latest BusyBox version (1.17.1). I'm fairly new at touching kernels etc., so if you could help me then that would be great. What can I do next?

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
hey DamianGto, i'm not too sure what i'm doing wrong but if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

I have JL1 (FROYO.UXJL1 Captivate) and i didn't use the site to patch (also because I don't know how to find my kernel/flash though I should probably read about it), but I used the app to see if it would patch. The patch doesn't work and I do have the latest BusyBox version (1.17.1). I'm fairly new at touching kernels etc., so if you could help me then that would be great. What can I do next?

You can download the firmware and extract the zimage and use it on the site.
Then you flash it.
I don't have a captivate so i can test it myself.
But i advice you to read more about flashing. When you get use to it you don't think about it. You just choose the thinks you like.
That makes the phone much better.

**DamianGTO Steam kernel. 350MB Ram. 500HZ. ext2/jfs . js3 base**

Reactions: zuNcHAN

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
60ed2113-2755-ea8c.jpg

Not working on my 2.2 Stock Vibrant :\

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

aywchiu

Dec 5, 2010
Problem with undoing the lagfix

hi DamianGto

I had installed Z4mod and it ran pretty smooth for a few months now on my SGS Stock Froyo ZSJPE :). But recently I want to learn some flashing and try out some other roms and was trying to undo the lagfix, i.e. converting it back to rfs. It won't allow me to do so and it says it needs at least 3MB in the /system folder for the operation and I have only 2.6MB. It suggests me to remove some files in the /system folder. But as it is the system folder, I am not really sure what could be removed. Should I be uninstalling some apps? Or clearing the cache or other things? Please kindly give me some hint. Many thanks.

Aywchiu

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
hi DamianGto

I had installed Z4mod and it ran pretty smooth for a few months now on my SGS Stock Froyo ZSJPE :). But recently I want to learn some flashing and try out some other roms and was trying to undo the lagfix, i.e. converting it back to rfs. It won't allow me to do so and it says it needs at least 3MB in the /system folder for the operation and I have only 2.6MB. It suggests me to remove some files in the /system folder. But as it is the system folder, I am not really sure what could be removed. Should I be uninstalling some apps? Or clearing the cache or other things? Please kindly give me some hint. Many thanks.

Aywchiu

Hi. Try the media folder and remove some ringtunes you don't use.
You need a file program that use root.
You also need to make it read/ write .

**DamianGTO Ultimate kernel. 350MB Ram. 600HZ. all ext2. Steam Rom. Js5**

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
Any way this could be updated to work on the us samsung vibrant running froyo 2.2 ka6

Well the source if free and it only take one dev to fix it.
My plan was to only use Z4mod for i did like the concept. But 2 of the mail developer is gone so its standing still.
So its kind of dead abduction i dont have time to continue with it.

cnote74

Nov 26, 2010
oklahoma city
Thats cool thanks for the reply
Well the source if free and it only take one dev to fix it.
My plan was to only use Z4mod for i did like the concept. But 2 of the mail developer is gone so its standing still.
So its kind of dead abduction i dont have time to continue with it.

bassmanitram

Jan 31, 2011
Serris, France
Samsung galaxy S - no longer works

No longer works on my Samsung Galaxy S

Had z4Root and z4Mod on my Galaxy S:

Galaxy S I9000, Virgin France (so no operator crap onto top of it).

Stock Froyo:

PDA is I9000XWJPA
MODEM is I9000XXJPP
CSC is I9000XEFJP3

worked fine.

THEN converted BACK to rfs and unrooted, and installed the new stock froyo from Samsung:

PDA is I9000XWJPI
MODEM is I9000XXJPP
CSC is I9000XEFJP4

then tried to re-root - z4root got stuck and then died "Aquiring root shell" (and sucked the life out of my battery while doing so doing somethine that caused 100%CPU usage until I rebooted).

No amount of rebooting and tweaking helped

Sad, but, then again, the new firmware seems to be very slick! (just need to find a viable rooter now!)

bassmanitram

Jan 31, 2011
Serris, France
More on the latest Samsung stock firmware to get onto my phone:

PDA is I9000XWJPI
MODEM is I9000XXJPP
CSC is I9000XEFJP4

So, z4Root no longer worked - so I used SuperOneClick - worked perfectly.

So THEN I tried z4Mod - and received a message from the server that said the kernel could not be patched. It seems from the development threads that this may be because there is no initramfs? Maybe the latest Samsung firmware simply contains things designed to break z4... activity!!

One other thing: all these threads say that z4Mod has been abandones and is unsupported? Is this true? (of course that may be like asking a dead man to confirm that he is dead - if he IS dead, then no response will be forthcoming!)

Calamarain

Nov 13, 2010
Reverting to RFS necessary for other ROM's / kernels?

I have used the z4mod app to convert to ext2.

Would it be necessary to revert to RFS before installing a ROM or kernel?

I have tried reverting with the app, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than rebooting.

Mount still reports /data mounted as ext2:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data ext2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,nobh 0 0

The creator of the mod also provides update.zips, but the bootloader on my phone doesn't like them (refuses unsigned stuff).

From the phone's information screen:
Model number: GT-I9000
Firmware: 2.2
Baseband version: I9000XXJPP
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@sep-35 #1
Build number: FROYO.XXJPO

Sep 26, 2012
Augusta
HTC Incredible Help

I'm having a very hard time on my stock HTC incredible. It sits at "attempting to apply root" and it only got that far AFTER i rebooted 3 times. Maybe im missing something?

This is an AWESOME IDEA though so keep going!

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, here is the z4mod app at long last! This release needs a lot of testing for different devices still, so make sure you check the compatibility table below unless you know how to use Odin to flash back your original kernel. Thanks for helping to test this!

[size=+1]This is still in beta! If you know how to flash with Odin, please help test so all bugs can be found and fixed to allow for wider release![/size]

What is this?

Another lagfix. This one is a bit different from existing lagfixes though:

- Differences from OCLF: Uses native EXT/JFS instead of loopback mounts. Loopback mounts in linux can be a bit flakey at times, especially when they're on RFS. So this is generally better.

- Differences from lagfix kernels such as voodoo or sztupy's: These types of lagfixes are kernels compiled from GPL sources for specific devices. This can cause a number of issues, such as losing out on bug fixes in later Samsung kernels released after the GPL code, or differences in devices such as the I9000B, etc. z4mod also has (imo) a nicer design, in that it uses /etc/fstab for filesystem mounting, as well as keeping the convert scripts outside the kernel. It should also work across ALL (or many?) Samsung devices without changes!

How do I use this?

Install the app. Click the buttons. It should all just work. Let me know of any issues or complications! This is still in testing!

Device/firmware compatibility table

Samsung Galaxy S Devices
    Stock Samsung
    I9000 Stock Samsung 2.2 : WORKING
    I9000 Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    I9000B Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    I9000B Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    I9000T Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    I9000T Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    I9000M Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    I9000M Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    Captivate Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    Captivate Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    Vibrant Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    Vibrant Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    Epic Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    Epic Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    Fascinate Stock Samsung 2.2 : NOT TESTED
    Fascinate Stock Samsung 2.1 : NOT TESTED
    Stock Japanese Docomo Galaxy S (SC-02B) : WORKING
    Stock SHW-M110S (Korean SGS) : WORKING

Custom Firmwares
    Any custom firmware that uses a stock kernel works as the stock kernel in the table above
    Custom kernels that make use of changed filesystems or boot up scripts are unlikely to work at this time. Emphasis is on stock kernels currently.

Custom Kernels

BLN (backlight notification) custom kernel for GT-I9000 works
    Voodoo kernels do not work
    Kernels with heavily modified boot procedures such as rooted Vibrant kernels do not work
    CFRoot kernel does not work.
    DamianGto's kernels work

Other Samsung Devices
    NOT TESTED

More info on z4mod
    http://www.sgscompilebox.dreamhosters.com/about.html

Source Code
    http://github.com/z4/z4mod

V0.9.2 Changelog

Fix for EXT2->RFS Conversion. Please update to this app version before using this conversion.
    Other small bug fixes.
    Conversion page now has scrolling text informing you of progress and any errors.

V0.9.3 Changelog

Critical: Upload kernel now passes binary MIME type to prevent corrupt kernels
    Fixes for text in conversion screen.
    Fix for 'mmcblk0p2' always being chosen for /data, even on devices that use 'mmcblk0p1'
    Bug fixes for UI

Donations

Donate link is available at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    quick question I need to disable vodoo before using this right ?

anyways im running vibrant rom ( axura ) on my rogers captivate ( i896 )

testing now

This probably won't work if you have a Voodoo kernel installed. The Voodoo kernel is unlikely to be patchable, since it's not native RFS, and does not use /etc/fstab.
    Hi RyanZA and everyone. I've applied this lag fix to my device and I'm quite satisfied, but I think I somehow screwed my device and now need to factory reset. My question is, do I need to revert to rfs, restore the kernel, and unroot the device before I do the master reset under Settings > Privacy?

Thanks.

Yes you need to convert back or you will loose all your data.
    You dont need to do more.

**Using my own JPU kernel, z4mod, 339MB Ram and ext2 filesystem**
    Hi!

I'am on 2.2.1, now.

In 2.2, i used z4root+z4mod+ one of DamianGto's (excellent) kernel.
    I tried to use it the same way like in 2.2, but no success on 2.2.1 :(
    1. z4root does not worked
    2. with rooted kernel, z4mod said: can't patch kernel

Is it possible to use all of these on 2.2.1 (and what order), or am i doing something wrong?

(sorry for my very basic english)

You need to root with oneclickroot.
    Z4root don't work with this new firmware.
    Then you install busybox from market. You may need to remove some ringtunes to make some room on the system.
    Then you can use one of my kernel and use z4mod to convert to ext2.
    Then you get a fast system again:)

Hi DamianGto and all, have you got any idea if I do factory reset after apply z4mod, am I still able to unpatch the kernel and back to my original kernel? Thanks a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

I would change first before i did the factory reset.
    It does remove all user data.