at&t will NOT S-off!!

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Anyone know of any other roms or kernels that work with SunShine other than Maximum/Stock?

I'm pretty sure its a known issue that s-off won't work on ViperOne, at least for some folks.

Why do you want other ROMs? Just flash Maximus or stock, do the S-off, then go back to whatever ROM your want. It doesn't matter what ROM you s-off on (whether you like it or not) you will be on it for about 5 minutes.

The old GoldenEye ROM worked for me (as its close to stock, just cleaned up - and stock kernel) but that was firewater, not sunshine.

Last edited:

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm pretty sure its a known issue that s-off won't work on ViperOne, at least for some folks.

Why do you want other ROMs? Just flash Maximum or stock, do the S-off, then go back to whatever ROM your want. It doesn't matter what ROM you s-off on (whether you like it or not) you will be on it for about 5 minutes.

The old GoldenEye ROM worked for me (as its close to stock, just cleaned up - and stock kernel) but that was firewater, not sunshine.

Do you think the GoldenEye rom will work with firewater still or no?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Do you think the GoldenEye rom will work with firewater still or no?

If your M8 was shipped or OTA to a more recent software version, than probably not. The exploit was probably plugged in hboot or some other partition not related to the ROM itself. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try. Some folks have lucked out and s-off'ed with firewater even recently.

What hboot, radio?

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
If your M8 was shipped or OTA to a more recent software version, than probably not. The exploit was probably plugged in hboot or some other partition not related to the ROM itself. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try. Some folks have lucked out and s-off'ed with firewater even recently.

What hboot, radio?

Got it. Flashed Maximum rom, used Sunshine to gain S-Off, updated my firmware, restored old backup.

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
I flashed a stock backup that's floating around our forum and used SunShine .
Roughly 5 minutes or so and bam i'm now S-OFF and can now go to sleep after a solid 24 hours or more messing around with firewater,rumrunner, multi combinations of Rom/kernels with no luck.

robazefa

Dec 28, 2011
just got an ATT m8

1) Maximus ROM + firewater --> does not give s-off --> ends up with a whelp error

2) GoldenEYE ROM + firewater --> does not give s-off --> ends up with a whelp error

now sunshine is up at bat!

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
just got an ATT m8

1) Maximus ROM + firewater --> does not give s-off --> ends up with a whelp error

2) GoldenEYE ROM + firewater --> does not give s-off --> ends up with a whelp error

now sunshine is up at bat!

Not sure if Maximus plays well with firewater after the ROM was updated to 3.x software (I know there were reports that it helped before the ROM was updated).

I did firewater with GoldenEye back in the day, pretty sure. If a couple attempts with firewater + GoldenEye don't do it, I agree that you need sunshine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have been fighting with my phone all freaking day and am ready to toss on the towel... I have been rocking Viper rom 1.8.0 for a couple months now and today they updated to the new 4.4.3 base. it was suggested rather strongly to update framework to 2.22.401.4. I am still on 1.54..... And here begins my saga....

I tried to update the framework with FUU, and it constantly fails out at the black screen with silver HTC logo. it was suggested that this is because I am still S-ON. so I went to the firewater thread and tried that. would NOT do anything untill I went away from Viper Rom and loaded Insert Coin rom. Firewater ran, but gave me a message stating that it is not possible to S-OFF my phone...

So I ask, HELP!!!!!!! I read about sunshine, but sadly right no I simply don't have 25 bucks to toss at an app that I do not know will work on my phone...

Ok, so I just read a different thread in the general section that states that firewater is no longer working... damn. looks like on payday I gotta drop 25 bucks....
    Yeah, turns out a ton of people had issues S-OFF, but the thing is, all of these people had stock (rooted).

(commenting just for others who may stumble upon this)
    You need to install a custom kernel that has an insecure kernel, ElementalX is what i used and
    it worked fine.

If firewater does not work then sunshine will work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk