[REVIEW / DOA SO FAR] Official Malata USB/LAN Adapter

Search This thread

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
Just wanted to touch base to see if there potentially may be any interest in something like this? I have one on the way for review and to see if they even work with our gTab. Rumor was the price point was going to be around $20 - $25.

When I get it tested I will post the findings and see what you guys think!

[EDIT] - so far I can't get it to work. I've tried just throwing it in while it's on as well as having it powered down (like the dock) to allow the DNS to propagate. No dice so far. I'll check with the supplier to see if there is an app to make it work.

Attachments

• USB1.jpg
    USB1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 330
  • USB2.jpg
    USB2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

ensign.fodder

Jan 15, 2011
Greensboro
Just wanted to touch base to see if there potentially may be any interest in something like this? I have one on the way for review and to see if they even work with our gTab. Rumor was the price point was going to be around $20 - $25.

When I get it tested I will post the findings and see what you guys think!

Interested in outcome but not really looking to buy. WiFi is solid enough and with existing dock if I need LAN (haven't yet) I have it along with the HDMI and other.

Thanks!

wasserkapf

Sep 6, 2010
Maybe it uses a kernel module that isn't included in your kernel. I don't know what ROM/kernel you are using (I use stock), but possibly the pl2303 module. If you have a Linux PC handy, you can check for some info. Before plugging it into the Linux box, open a terminal and run this command:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
Then plug it in, and see what it tells you. Use Ctrl + c to end it.

You can also check which modules are loaded with this command, new modules are at the top of the list:
Code:
lsmod
I also am not sure if I would ever use something like that. My ZT-180 came with something similar, but with a miniUSB end, and I have never found the need to even try it.

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
Maybe it uses a kernel module that isn't included in your kernel. I don't know what ROM/kernel you are using (I use stock), but possibly the pl2303 module. If you have a Linux PC handy, you can check for some info. Before plugging it into the Linux box, open a terminal and run this command:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
Then plug it in, and see what it tells you. Use Ctrl + c to end it.

You can also check which modules are loaded with this command, new modules are at the top of the list:
Code:
lsmod
I also am not sure if I would ever use something like that. My ZT-180 came with something similar, but with a miniUSB end, and I have never found the need to even try it.
I have an ubunu VM, I'll give that a try and keep you posted. Thanks!

wasserkapf

Sep 6, 2010
I have an ubunu VM, I'll give that a try and keep you posted. Thanks!

Where hardware is related, a VM may not give the needed results. That is because a VM may use it's own drivers.

If you have an Ubuntu installation CD, you can boot that as a live CD. It will run only on system memory, so it may be a bit laggy. That will work just like an installed Linux system.

marc_spafford

Apr 5, 2010
Any progress on this?

I am very interested to find a USB to ethernet adapter for my Gtab. I do a lot of networking with switchs and ISP providers. It would be awesome if this little USB device would work. Any updates?

probably driver related

This looks like one of the adaptors that have been around for the Wii console for a while.

Clemsyn's kernel has a bunch of USB drivers added that are removed (or are back level) in the stock Viewsonic kernel. I suggest that you give it a go.

Pershoot's kernel is a more involved process to select the bits that you want. So I'd start by trying Clemsyn's first.

huppo

Mar 22, 2009
>>I have a dell laptop that I recently dropped. The wireless stopped working.

Did you pop open the panel on the bottom and check to see if the little wifi riser card didn't just pop out of its slot?

May not apply in your case, but sometimes the Modem/LAN/Wifi is on a little card that plugs into a header on the motherboard. There's usually an access panel on the bottom to get at it - check that it's properly seated and all connectors are secure, etc.

You can also usually swap them out if they die. Check Ebay.

anjenaire

Nov 9, 2010
West Hartford
I'm trying to imagine a time it would come in handy. Ideas?
I could see this being handy for a road warrier to watch streamed content in a hotel if he or she didn't want to bring the heavier dock along. Often time wifi is sketchy at best in some locations but many hotels were wired with CAT5 to each room and have a cord curled up in the desk. I often break out my CAT5 adapter to string two cords together so my laptop can rest on the bed and I have faster speeds (and frankly a more secure connection with my VPN) while resting against the many pillows. Beats sitting at the desk with the dock propped up.

Let us know how you make out getting this to work.

sorheim

Feb 19, 2011
Moto G8
Moto G 5G
Anyone get this to work? I just ordered a gtab and it would be great to have a wired ethernet port for configuring many of the network devices I deal with on a daily basis.

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
Anyone get this to work? I just ordered a gtab and it would be great to have a wired ethernet port for configuring many of the network devices I deal with on a daily basis.
I have not been able ot ge tthe one I have to work. I will contact the supplier to see if there is a particular that the Malata tabs are using

lusitro

May 31, 2011
Alternative usb/lan adapter

I found a USB/LAN adapter for android tablets on euogo dot com for $10. Do a search for this item number: TPGA-ULNA

If you do a google search, "usb to lan adapter for android", many other brands / models also appear.

Does anyone think any of them will work with the Gtab?

Considering the rumor that the dock may be discontinued and that an HDMI cable is on the way, a USB/LAN adapter for the Gtab would be easier to carry around than the dock / power adapter combo.

Warning: 1st time poster = NOOB. Pls. be kind.

johny.mnemonic

Dec 11, 2006
Praha
As network admin, I will definitely love to have opportunity to connect my tablet to LAN network.

Pretty often it happens, that I am installing new WiFi routers, so for initial config, I need to grab my 17" laptop and connect by cable. It would be much more comfortable to just use my tablet ;-)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, the one reported to work has the "dm9601 " chipset (according to an amazon review).

My reply about the SR9600 was regarding the dealextreme link someone posted earlier.

Thanks for info.

So I just got this device for 3.3$:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320697720334

According to the driver CD it is also using SR9600, but my rom doesn't not recognize it.
    Could you please check which module is loaded in kernel for your adapter?
    In case you don't know how to do that, please issue "lsmod" in Terminal or ConnectBot.