[Q] Nexus 5 most likely hardbricked what do I do? Please help

Search This thread

michaelsplus

Nov 18, 2012
I think my nexus 5 is hardbricked doing a paanodandroid ota update :(
This happened on latest paranoid android + latest franco kernel + TWRP

I wanted to update pa gapps (first 2 downloads md5 checksum failed, third time it worked) and when the phone booted afterwards, systemui failed and I couldn't do anything. I Thought this wasn't a big problem since the phone managed to boot. I long pressed the power button to shut it down so I could boot into recovery to restore my backup I had recently made. When I tried to boot into recovery it wouldn't do anything. Not boot into recovery and not into fastboot. How is this even possible by simply flashing gapps?

What should I do?
I've tried all the button combinations for more than 15 seconds.

kevtrysmoddin

Jul 17, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I wanted to update pa gapps (first 2 downloads md5 checksum failed, third time it worked) and when the phone booted afterwards, systemui failed and I couldn't do anything. I Thought this wasn't a big problem since the phone managed to boot. I long pressed the power button to shut it down so I could boot into recovery to restore my backup I had recently made. When I tried to boot into recovery it wouldn't do anything. Not boot into recovery and not into fastboot. How is this even possible by simply flashing gapps?

What should I do?

Have you tried powering it on again mine sometimes won't bit straight away after long pressing power button but works after 5-10 mins

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: michaelsplus

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
So, at this point it doesn't boot at all? Do you have a link to the gapps you flashed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

michaelsplus

Nov 18, 2012

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota

michaelsplus

Nov 18, 2012
I think it was just a coincidence that it failed after flashing gapps. I'd RMA it. Sounds like the emmc went bad. It's happened on a few n5's.

Will they help me out when the bootloader was unlocked and a custom rom and kernel installed?

michaelsplus

Nov 18, 2012
If it doesn't boot who will know? Google's pretty cool about RMA's

That's a bit good news :). Thank you

As i mentioned I managed to boot once into the (not working) rom after the (corrupted I think) gapps package had been installed, does that mean that the gapps file cannot have messed up the bootloader since I already managed to boot once after installing the package?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota

As i mentioned I managed to boot once into the (not working) rom after the (corrupted I think) gapps package had been installed, does that mean that the gapps file cannot have messed up the bootloader since I already managed to boot once after installing the package?

I just think it was a coincidence that your memory went bad after you flashed. Out would have happened even of you didn't flash the gapps. That's my theory anyway

wolfirotisha

Mar 2, 2011
Spanaway

What should I do?

Don't send it to an RMA follow this guide. BSOD/NoBootloader

This is a guide I created following the exact same issue you had. If THIS doesn't work then send it in to RMA

wolfirotisha

Mar 2, 2011
Spanaway
Saw your guide, and thanks for it. But if the device doesn't boot it won't get into the alternate bootloader

Does the PC detect it when plugged in? If so then its not hardbricked.

If you have hangouts I can try to help better.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

And should my guide fail there is always this one. LG FlashTool

michaelsplus

Nov 18, 2012
Does the PC detect it when plugged in? If so then its not hardbricked.

If you have hangouts I can try to help better.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

And should my guide fail there is always this one. LG FlashTool

Thank you. I tried both these guides but none of them worked. I can't get any life in the device.

The PC ony recognizes it as 'unknown usb device'

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What should I do?

Have you tried powering it on again mine sometimes won't bit straight away after long pressing power button but works after 5-10 mins

Indeed it doesn't :(. The pc only recognizes it's an unknown usb device

You could have a faulty memory issue

It doesn't boot at all no.
    It was downloaded through the paranoid android OTA app. It was the 20140531 version: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps

No. No activity whatsoever.

I think it was just a coincidence that it failed after flashing gapps. I'd RMA it. Sounds like the emmc went bad. It's happened on a few n5's.

Will they help me out when the bootloader was unlocked and a custom rom and kernel installed?

If it doesn't boot who will know? Google's pretty cool about RMA's

I just think it was a coincidence that your memory went bad after you flashed. Out would have happened even of you didn't flash the gapps. That's my theory anyway