[DIY][4.1+] Tasker Based Expandable Weather Notification[Download Link Provided]
Tasker Based Expandable Weather Notification
Spruce up your notification shade with this custom made weather notification!
Hey guys, after searching through apps that utilize Jelly Bean's outstanding notification system to display weather like beautiful widgets,notification weather pro and the like, I missed one or the other feature from these apps, pushing me to develop my own weather notification system. Now i have control of what it does and how it does. I am more than happy with this and thought I could share it in the XDA community.
As the title suggests this is Do-It-Yourself
Project, if you are here for one click install and use, then this might not suit you. I am providing my setup in the download links below but as with all other tasker setups it might require few tweaks here and there to work best for you.
So why this thread?
I thought it would be nice to explore what others think of this and share suggestions for further improvements. And XDA is a great place to start with so. Feel free to share your opinions guys after using this.
Noob Friendly? Probably No. I ll explain these in detail later
What do you need?
- Phone running android 4.1+
- Autoremote or AutoNotification
- Intermediate tasker knowledge(See referenced)
Variable data processing
How to learn tasker
How does this work?
- Gets your current location using 'Get Location' action in Tasker
- Uses openweathermap API to retrieve weather data for current location in XML
- Porcesses the XML data in Tasker by variable data processing and extracts the needed information
- Send a persistent notification via AutoRemote notification plugin with a picture and weather data.
Note: I launch the task manually, using Power Toggles notification. You can set to automatically update using time or any context that you prefer. Explore.
eg. If you move out of you house, put a weather notification on the notification shade.
The pictures of weather???
Possible additions I am looking into
- There are not real time, they are static, I just downloaded individual pictures for various conditions and mapped it to notification based on weather. (Needs Improvement)
Help from the community
- Increase the no of pictures
- Add weather forecast
- Guys if you find any interesting pictures for weather please share.
- Expecting feedback on improving current setup.
- Share any contexts that you are using with this.
- Extract the tasks (xml files) to your SD card
- Open them with ES file Explorer and select Tasker.
- Extract the files to *sdcard*\themes\weather\
- The speak weather and cancel buttons wont work!!! to overcome that create new profile that triggers on autoremote message "Speak Weather" and action it does "Say : your message"
- Cancel button also wont work. For that create profile that triggers on autoremote message "Weather cancel" and does "Autoremote Cancel Notification"
LG Mako running stock.
Press Thanks if my post was helpful.
Previous Device : Xperia Mini