[CLOSED][XPOSED](1.0.2) Disable Carrier IQ Mod (CIQ)

Search This thread

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong

Update:
I decided to close this project. Disable the Carrier IQ service is simply easiest and safest way than trying to hook service methods. I recommend to download Disable Service App and use it.

Original text:

I found the Carrier IQ client library inside framework files on my internation D802. Quite bad surprise as I thought such "feature" is usually in US-only versions.

com.carrieriq.iqagent.client is hidden inside /system/framework/telephony-common.odex.

Anyway, I don't like to have this code sleeping there and waiting for something to activate it. I didn't find any Carrier IQ service running on D802, but I simply don't like that LG put/left support for it there.

This Mod will hook these IQClient methods:
Code:
shouldSubmitMetric
reportKeyCode
checkSMS
checkWAPPush

These methods will always return FALSE, which I believe means do not submit or report anything.

Then this Mod will replace this IQService method:
Code:
onCreate

And make it simply call stopSelf();, which will stop it just before it even start.

You can download my mod here: Removed

If you are looking for other method to disable Carrier IQ on your device, you can follow freebee269 steps here.

1 March - Update:
Project closed.

10 Dec - Update:
AT&T ROM contain libiq_client.so and libiq_service.so native Carrier IQ libraries inside /system/lib and there is com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.IQService library inside /system/framework/com.lge.core.odex. I'm looking into disabling the IQService now.

12 Dec - Update:
Added CIQ Service smali source code (from com.lge.core) and CIQ Client smali source code (from telephony-common) as attachment. Released version 1.0.2 with IQService detection and disabling.

Attachments

• carrieriq-service.zip
    278.5 KB · Views: 147
  • carrieriq-client.zip
    46.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012

Attachments

• Captureatt.jpg
    Captureatt.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,078
  • Captureatt1.jpg
    Captureatt1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong
For d801?

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Please try and launch it. Application will first detect if that library is present in your system. Then it will check if these methods are there.

Like I wrote before, I think whole Carrier IQ is working in AT&T ROM = D800 as it have native libraries in /system/lib/ folder. Other LG G2 versions without this native libraries have only support, but no service actually running. At least I could not see any similar service running on my D802.

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Then please type it as I could not see your attachments. Thanks for your help. ;)
Btw. I'm more interested in framework part.

com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.bootcompletedreceiver
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.enabletogglelmpl
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.iqservice
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.ui.userpage
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.ui.showmessage
com.carrieriq.iqagent.stdmetrics.survey.android.questionnairelaunchactivity
com.carrieriq.iqagent.stdmetrics.survey.android.questionnaireactivity

sorry i dont know anything about framework.

Last edited:

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.bootcompletedreceiver
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.receivers.enabletogglelmpl
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.iqservice
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.ui.userpage
com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.ui.showmessage
com.carrieriq.iqagent.stdmetrics.survey.android.questionnairelaunchactivity
com.carrieriq.iqagent.stdmetrics.survey.android.questionnaireactivity

sorry i dont know anything about framework.

Thank you, I know these libraries from other XDA forums, but I could not find it inside AT&T framework files as I need to know which methods they have declared inside. Anyway, do you have AT&T stock rooted version?

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Thank you, I know these libraries from other XDA forums, but I could not find it inside AT&T framework files as I need to know which methods they have declared inside. Anyway, do you have AT&T stock rooted version?

I am on cleanrom 2.0 , carrier iq is still present in this rom.

lingarajug

Apr 6, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I installed ur mod and it says files are present and it asks me to enable in exposed which I did and rebooted and it still shows the same what should I do.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong
I installed ur mod and it says files are present and it asks me to enable in exposed which I did and rebooted and it still shows the same what should I do.

Well, sorry for confusion. That first part is only for detection of CIQ library. Maybe I should add some indication that Mod is already applied to make it clear. Anyway, enabling it is the last step, so you did well.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reactions: afilopou

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
another way you can disable CIQ on d800 is if you are stock rooted you can go to the play store and download an app called disable service. it's free and doesnt run in the background. open the app and swipe to the left to get to the system apps tab. then click on android system. inside android system, uncheck IQService. then reboot your phone. CIQ should now be disabled.

Reactions: 360Razir

lingarajug

Apr 6, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
another way you can disable CIQ on d800 is if you are stock rooted you can go to the play store and download an app called disable service. it's free and doesnt run in the background. open the app and swipe to the left to get to the system apps tab. then click on android system. inside android system, uncheck IQService. then reboot your phone. CIQ should now be disabled.

I tried it exactly but I don't see any such services under android system.

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are multiple ways how to achieve that. For example your can execute few commands in shell to disable that activities. I know about that.

I'm trying to do it another way by using great Xposed framework, explore internal CIQ functionality and then disable it piece by piece. It's always better to have multiple choices. ;)

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are multiple ways how to achieve that. For example your can execute few commands in shell to disable that activities. I know about that.

I'm trying to do it another way by using great Xposed framework, explore internal CIQ functionality and then disable it piece by piece. It's always better to have multiple choices. ;)

i agree. i wasnt saying my way is better than yours. i was just giving another option for d800 users til you can get your way working. hope it didnt come off that way.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I tried it exactly but I don't see any such services under android system.

if you dont see iqservice under android system then your device doesnt have ciq.

switchgott

Jan 22, 2007
Hi,
please could you post smali code
and your changes?
Not even all like xpost framework.
Big big thanks

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

p.valenta

May 20, 2007
Hong Kong
i agree. i wasnt saying my way is better than yours. i was just giving another option for d800 users til you can get your way working. hope it didnt come off that way.

No worry, I'm fine with that. ;)
I think I will include your step in OP and make it more clear to not confuse readers.

Hi,
please could you post smali code
and your changes?
Not even all like xpost framework.
Big big thanks

Yeah, sure. I could do that tonite (original CIQ smali). There are so many threads about CIQ, but actually nobody post source code of it. It was trouble to get code of IQService as it is not present on my device. My current changes are in OP, IQService changes not done yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update:
    I decided to close this project. Disable the Carrier IQ service is simply easiest and safest way than trying to hook service methods. I recommend to download Disable Service App and use it.

Original text:

I found the Carrier IQ client library inside framework files on my internation D802. Quite bad surprise as I thought such "feature" is usually in US-only versions.

com.carrieriq.iqagent.client is hidden inside /system/framework/telephony-common.odex.

Anyway, I don't like to have this code sleeping there and waiting for something to activate it. I didn't find any Carrier IQ service running on D802, but I simply don't like that LG put/left support for it there.

This Mod will hook these IQClient methods:
    Code:
    shouldSubmitMetric
    reportKeyCode
    checkSMS
    checkWAPPush

These methods will always return FALSE, which I believe means do not submit or report anything.

Then this Mod will replace this IQService method:
    Code:
    onCreate

And make it simply call stopSelf();, which will stop it just before it even start.

You can download my mod here: Removed

If you are looking for other method to disable Carrier IQ on your device, you can follow freebee269 steps here.

1 March - Update:
    Project closed.

10 Dec - Update:
    AT&T ROM contain libiq_client.so and libiq_service.so native Carrier IQ libraries inside /system/lib and there is com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.IQService library inside /system/framework/com.lge.core.odex. I'm looking into disabling the IQService now.

12 Dec - Update:
    Added CIQ Service smali source code (from com.lge.core) and CIQ Client smali source code (from telephony-common) as attachment. Released version 1.0.2 with IQService detection and disabling.

Well, sorry for confusion. That first part is only for detection of CIQ library. Maybe I should add some indication that Mod is already applied to make it clear. Anyway, enabling it is the last step, so you did well.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Check your PM for my message. Thanks for help.

I just found that com.carrieriq.iqagent.service.IQService is hidden inside /system/framework/com.lge.core.odex on AT&T ROM (D800). My D802 doesn't have such code. I will begin to look into disabling this service now.