Want ICS on SGH-i997? Emailing Samsung wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

scyld

May 12, 2011
Though I may or may not make Samsung change its mind and release an official ICS update, there's no harm done with emailing Samsung about your disappointment that they've basically stopped giving full support to a device less than a year old.

On a blog post, they listed a number of devices that are getting ICS updates, namely the Galaxy R, Galaxy II, and the Galaxy note, along with a few tablet models.

Though the Infuse is older than all these models, it is still only older by a few months, and is still well under a year old. Still, it was only officially revealed in May, close to the date of the Infuse's release, so this might be a good enough (perhaps even valid) excuse for why it is not getting an official upgrade.

Why is an official upgrade so important? Because it's the easiest way that we'll see modified ICS ROMs in the future. Without it, an Infuse ICS ROM is uncertain.

I wrote to them that I liked the SGH-i997 quite a bit, but also that I would not consider buying Samsung products in the future if they drop support for them so quickly. (A better way to have state it may have been "abandon their products and their users after less than a year.") I added that I hope Samsung would reconsider in light of customer feedback and thanked them for their time.

So like I said: it probably won't change a thing, but there's no way it could hurt to apply a bit of pressure.

Reactions: aly_hosny
T

tmease1

The infuse is having a hard enough time getting official gingerbread. Good luck with that. Its a waste of time worrying about it.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

Last edited:

scyld

May 12, 2011
The infuse is having a hard enough time getting official gingerbread. Good luck with that. Its a waste of time worrying about it.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

Trust me, I know it's very unlikely. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The worst that could happen is that nothing comes of it.

dman3285

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
Rome, Ga.
Nothing is gonna come from it.... Its not gonna happen...they cant even get gingerbread right on our device...they are not gonna attempt ics...and ics is not all that to go thru it...gingerbread is just as good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

Axiomkid

Jan 6, 2009
Ics wouldn't give us much ram use either......how wasteful on a 512mb phone. ICS needs at least 1gb to run properly. It doesn't have the hardware requirements. Sorry had to say it.

scyld

May 12, 2011
Ugh, alright alright... sorry I suggested it.

And dman3285, I'm installing R3VELATION. It better be all that and a bag of chips ;p

GGXtreme

Dec 23, 2010
New York City
Ics wouldn't give us much ram use either......how wasteful on a 512mb phone. ICS needs at least 1gb to run properly. It doesn't have the hardware requirements. Sorry had to say it.

That's not true at all. ICS runs just fine on the Galaxy S, and it only has 384MB of usable RAM since 128MB of it is used as VRAM.

tamelion1117

Oct 14, 2011
Nampa, ID
Samsung is never going to release an ICS update for the infuse. Sad, but true. :(

Sent from my ZEUS powered Infuse using tapatalk premium.

Radiotsar

Jan 7, 2012
Elgin, IL
A better idea would be to post a comment asking for a list of products that they intend to provide quality software support longer than they have the Infuse, so in the future we'd know which one to purchase and which to avoid.

O

Optimus-Prime

A better idea would be to post a comment asking for a list of products that they intend to provide quality software support longer than they have the Infuse, so in the future we'd know which one to purchase and which to avoid.

LOL. Galaxy S line.... Means that it will be the products that will get most attention, as they are part of a line. Does not mean that they will ALL get priority but usually will.

and another thing. has nobody thought of the fact that the Rogers infuse launched with gingerbread. meaning it will most likely get an update to ICS?

Erik_T

Sep 15, 2011
LOL. Galaxy S line.... Means that it will be the products that will get most attention, as they are part of a line. Does not mean that they will ALL get priority but usually will.

and another thing. has nobody thought of the fact that the Rogers infuse launched with gingerbread. meaning it will most likely get an update to ICS?

Meh. But same story with gb. We won't have HDMI... :p Had to... :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

O

Optimus-Prime

Meh. But same story with gb. We won't have HDMI... :p Had to... :D

Boy i will slam you against the wall. at this point. Screw HDMI. just freaking screw it.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

okay that was a little bit to much. lol. but seriously though. hdmi...

Last edited:

Erik_T

Sep 15, 2011
Boy i will slam you against the wall. at this point. Screw HDMI. just freaking screw it.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

okay that was a little bit to much. lol. but seriously though. hdmi...

:D Ehh.. You SURE that was enough? :p That would be REALLY nice if ICS was released for Rojers.. Hey Rojer employees... Can you work on it so that I can have even more options?! :D I will move to Canada... ;)

dman3285

Aug 24, 2010
Rome, Ga.
Well...for the one that says that ics runs FINE on galaxy s with only 358 mb of ram, sir YOU are sadly mistaken...to run ics on a galaxy s device, ass loads of **** has to be removed and modified for it not to require the 1gb or more of ram tjat it DOES require...meaning...it is just a hacked up version of ics... And..if we hapoen to get a biild on this device, it will bebthe same if not worse. So i say be happy with the badass roms we have now and put ics in the backbof your mind...it aont gonna happen...and who really cares anyway... If you want... I can make you a rom that operates exactly like ics...oh wait! I already have... :rolleyes:

Axiomkid

Jan 6, 2009
Well...for the one that says that ics runs FINE on galaxy s with only 358 mb of ram, sir YOU are sadly mistaken...to run ics on a galaxy s device, ass loads of **** has to be removed and modified for it not to require the 1gb or more of ram tjat it DOES require...meaning...it is just a hacked up version of ics... And..if we hapoen to get a biild on this device, it will bebthe same if not worse. So i say be happy with the badass roms we have now and put ics in the backbof your mind...it aont gonna happen...and who really cares anyway... If you want... I can make you a rom that operates exactly like ics...oh wait! I already have... :rolleyes:

My bad Dman I though it would be 1 of those typical phones like my Blackberry. My Blackberry was told it would get the latest and baddest Update, but then later on RIM told us the device was basically a piece of **** and that it didn't have enough ram to run the OS and all the applications. Thanks for clarifying that up, Just noticed Galaxy S was the only phone getting ICS with low ram. Samsung probably had enough trouble getting ICS for the Galaxy S and probably figure it's impossible for the Infuse to ever see it due to all the issues with GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tamelion1117
O

Optimus-Prime

It is not a 4.0 rom. there fore it is not a "bad ass rom" :cool:

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
That's not true at all. ICS runs just fine on the Galaxy S, and it only has 384MB of usable RAM since 128MB of it is used as VRAM.

yup. need a kernel and branch build from cm9 or port.
512mb ram is not an issue...there are several other devices out there w/ 512. the fat has to be trimmed like d said

imo, aside from the "just so i can have it", gb runs just fine on the infuse.

edit: I wonder if we can get moderator to sticky a line like: "THERE IS NO !@#$% ICS ON THE INFUSE" so we won't be getting this every week or so. The (!@#$%) is optional.

Last edited:
Reactions: diablo009

jt1134

May 8, 2010

Erm.....what?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well as all the kiddies wanted to come out and play and start cursing at each other like school kids this thread is now closed.

I will warn only once. You only get one warning and this is it. Either act like adults and follow all the rules or you can find yourself with a one way ticket to bansville.
    Zeus rocks, why are we even talking about ics, Zeus has all ya need, here how about you send your phone to a developer and let them work with yours
    Then you don't know much bruh... ics has to be ligtned majorly to run on these devices... why do you think Samsung wont update ics to these devices?? Because of how much space and ram it uses... the ics you are porting... aosp or cm9 is lightened up and hacked up before you ever compile it and build it.. like cyanogen said, ics is just piggybacking on gingerbread to run on these devices... the kernel to port to these devices is a gingerbread kernel hacked up with the proper drivers to boot ics.... so... its not full ics...its the base of ics with gingerbread weaved thru it.. I compile a build for the note and saw all sort of gingerbread **** in it... I assure you I know what I'm talking about after developing for this devices for a year... have a nice day bro ..