How to root the HTC Aria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dale-mc

Jun 22, 2010
So now that it is rooted, how do you set it up to sideload apps from places other than the google market place?

_Opiate_

Jun 1, 2010
is wireless tether working for anyone?

Lol nevermind I just read the update

Last edited:

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
This will root the device and allow you to install things like wireless tether. edit: I am not optaining an ip address from wireless tether, though I can connect. I suspect further AT&T foolery. I am working on it.

Custom recovery is a bear to get to. You can however, get to custom recovery, and we should be able to flash custom roms.

For the most part, I used the root method and files from the MT3G root procedure. However, I could not get the adb to read my in recovery until I used my gold card. Many failed attempts before, and it pretty consistantly worked afterword. I suspect the difference was the SD card itself, and not that it was a gold card, because it makes no sense that a gold card should make a difference. Both cards were 2 gb Sandisk cards, but the one I used was from a Hero, which was what I used to make my goldcard to root that.

Folks, the MT3G method works. This isn't mine, I was just the first to make it go on the Aria.

Here's eugene's "How to Root the Slide thread" Eugene, Koush, Modaco many others, on behalf of an awful lof frustrated AT&T Android fans, thank you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm very Happy You Contacted Me & this Worked Out Perfect! I'm very Surprised that this Method is working out as it seems for alot of HTC Phone's!!
I've Rooted My Cousin's Dad New Aria & So I'm looking forward to this weekend to play around more with his Phone :)
~Eugene

_Opiate_

Jun 1, 2010
By the way guys don't install set CPU I won't work properly and it will make your aria lag BAD

Het attn1.....If I do a factory reset will I have to do the root process all over again? I'm worried that set CPU has gunked up my aria.:(

Last edited:

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
By the way guys don't install set CPU I won't work properly and it will make your aria lag BAD

Het attn1.....If I do a factory reset will I have to do the root process all over again? I'm worried that set CPU has gunked up my aria.:(

Su will stay in /system/bin

The only thing you will have to do:

A. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery & mount system
then locate the Superuser.apk & adb push ( File Location of Superuser.apk ) /system/app

or

B. Do a Reset, but you will have to
adb install Superuser.apk again

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
I'm very Happy You Contacted Me & this Worked Out Perfect! I'm very Surprised that this Method is working out as it seems for alot of HTC Phone's!!
I've Rooted My Cousin's Dad New Aria & So I'm looking forward to this weekend to play around more with his Phone :)
~Eugene

Very happy you stopped by to say hello. We can't thank you guys enough.

ko0ky

Jul 11, 2007
Michigan
I've been messing with this for about an hour or so.. i notice my computer is looking for android 1.0 drivers.. which is doesn't find.. so in my device manager I do have a "other devices" listed.. am I to ignore this and just continue on with the steps?

ludetn93

May 12, 2008
Help with root

Hello everyone,

This is my first Android device and am having trouble with the rooting process.

I have Windows Vista 32-bit and I have installed all the packages with the Android-SDK.

I can not seem to get the phone to connect to the computer using the loop. I have followed the instructions on the other post.

Thanks in advance.

ko0ky

Jul 11, 2007
Michigan
I've been messing with this for about an hour or so.. i notice my computer is looking for android 1.0 drivers.. which is doesn't find.. so in my device manager I do have a "other devices" listed.. am I to ignore this and just continue on with the steps?

also is this normal?

D:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
We are in your debt! Thanks for your support!

More than Happy to Help :)

also is this normal?

D:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *

Yes that Okay, I get that from time to Time..

Hello everyone,

This is my first Android device and am having trouble with the rooting process.

I have Windows Vista 32-bit and I have installed all the packages with the Android-SDK.

I can not seem to get the phone to connect to the computer using the loop. I have followed the instructions on the other post.

Thanks in advance.

If you have Followed the Step, Try Reformatting, then Make the Goldcard again & let windows format if need be!
I had trouble as well & after I made teh goldcard windows no longer ( via sd adapter card ) would Read it... After format the Hex was still the same.
I can't say this will work for you, but it did work for me.. It by no means easy to begin with and it took me around 45 minutes to root my Cousin Dad Phone!!
Just keep trying & you will get it..
~Eugene

Last edited:

MeNaCe2s0cieTy

Jun 20, 2010
alright so im a noob, lol this is my first post.. a lot of this is kinda of topic.. i was wondering if you could make like a video tutorial on how to root this phone. im not very tech savvy and I rooted my G1 from watching a video tutorial on youtube. also so does wireless tether work or not. i would really like to know because i currently use my g1 as a wifi hotspot. and finally im thinking of picking an aria up this week, how easy is the keyboard to use especially coming of a G1 with a physical keyboard? thanks

ko0ky

Jul 11, 2007
Michigan
yah, i'm stuck.. or maybe just mentally. :)

just before putting my phone into recovery mode the computer is looking for android 1.0 drivers. I figured I just ignore that and continue, after going into recovery, I noticed the computer searching for adb driver.. so Im not sure if im on a dead end or just continue and keep trying..

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
yah, i'm stuck.. or maybe just mentally. :)

just before putting my phone into recovery mode the computer is looking for android 1.0 drivers. I figured I just ignore that and continue, after going into recovery, I noticed the computer searching for adb driver.. so Im not sure if im on a dead end or just continue and keep trying..

Yes you need the Driver installed... I recommend using the Latest SDK install utility.. Worse case, just down the latest sdk & run the setup.. If using Win7 > ( Right-click ) Run as Admin!!

ko0ky

Jul 11, 2007
Michigan
Yes you need the Driver installed... I recommend using the Latest SDK install utility.. Worse case, just down the latest sdk & run the setup.. If using Win7 > ( Right-click ) Run as Admin!!

hmm, I dont know what i'm doing wrong. I did install the latest SDK and I used it to grab the usb drivers.. when prompted to locate the drivers I pointed to that location I could hit ok (you know its normally greyed out if there's no driver .inf).. but then it said couldn't find drivers for my device. ( im using windows xp pro) tried one two machine now.

maybe im just tired and anxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obsolete: Go HERE: Unrevoked's reflash Root/Recovery flash tool

This will root the device and allow you to install things like wireless tether.

Edit: I can connect to wireless tether, but it's not routing to anything and takes forever to get an IP address. Once I get an ip address, I can't even ping the gateway. I suspect further AT&T foolery. I am working on it.

Custom recovery is a bear to get to. You can however, get to custom recovery, and we can flash custom roms.

For the most part, I used the root method and files from the MT3G root procedure. However, I could not get the adb to read my in recovery until I used my gold card. Many failed attempts before, and it pretty consistantly worked afterword. I suspect the difference was the SD card itself, and not that it was a gold card, because it makes no sense that a gold card should make a difference. Both cards were 2 gb Sandisk cards, but the one I used was from a Hero, which was what I used to make my goldcard to root that.

Folks, the MT3G method works. This isn't mine, I was just the first to make it go on the Aria.

Here's eugene's "How to Root the Slide thread"

Eugene, Koush, Modaco, ChiefzReloaded, brokensanity, the EVO Unrevoked team and many others, on behalf of an awful lof frustrated AT&T Android fans, thank you.

The Unrevoked team has more info here if you get stuck.

Update:

Instead of slideroot.zip and superuser.apk, you can just flash my rom. (See next post in this thread).

That includes root, busybox, superuser.apk and strips AT&T applications & brings the ROM much closer to a generic HTC sense ROM.

Check out this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6909467&postcount=1

Once you have root (either by pushing slideroot and installing superuser.apk or skipping those and installing my rooted ROM) do yourself a favor and check out this thread: Unrevoked team: Recovery reflash tool (updated - Now for Aria/Liberty!)

Once rooted, you don't have to do the adb chase anymore; you can now flash custom recovery with the tool in that thread. It works!

attachment.php
    attachment.php