The Galaxy S6 back cover IS REMOVABLE (Its in the Manual)

Search This thread

smooth4lyfe

Apr 4, 2012
www.smooth4lyfemusic.com
Last edited:

beaverslayer

Feb 27, 2012
Vicksburg
I wonder what's actually holding the glass cover on. It just says remove it. It can't just be laying on there. Maybe some type of adhesive that has to be heated. Either way, it seems that it will be easy to replace the battery.

smooth4lyfe

Apr 4, 2012
www.smooth4lyfemusic.com
I wonder what's actually holding the glass cover on. It just says remove it. It can't just be laying on there. Maybe some type of adhesive that has to be heated. Either way, it seems that it will be easy to replace the battery.

Yeah I read it was some adhesive. I hear you just need to heat the phone to melt the adhesive (apparently there is a video someone doing it with a blowdryer [Not with a Galaxy S6 but with another phone]), the pull the cover off and go on from there...doesn't seem that hard to do

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
Yeah I read it was some adhesive. I hear you just need to heat the phone to melt the adhesive (apparently there is a video someone doing it with a blowdryer [Not with a Galaxy S6 but with another phone]), the pull the cover off and go on from there...doesn't seem that hard to do
Ya and voids the warranty, though! Not a problem after the first year though.
Not exactly an on-the-go process, though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AllianceR(●)m

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2011

Work in phone repairs.
Many phones require adhesive heating to get to the internals.
All the Sony's Z's, for example.

nyknight77

Sep 20, 2011
Thank god I can replace the battery relatively easily on the s6. I just saw a video of how to replace the battery on the HTC m8 and lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Reactions: kolembo
Aug 4, 2011
So you would be able to do this easily...is it a special kind of adhesive? How easy is the process?
Yep any phone repair place worth their salt will have a precise setup already in place for this, I obviously haven't seen the new Galaxies but its about a 45 minute process on the Zs and they're considered by our team to be a real pain relatively speaking.

bigray327

May 18, 2006
Houston
Two thoughts come to mind. First, I do battery-pull reboots of my S5 all the time (it black screen locks up due to a hardware issue) and I think most of us that flash ROMs have done the same a few times over the years. For instance, how would you get out of download mode if you don't flash anything? I hope that's addressed somewhere.

Second, I hope it comes with everything it needs for wireless charging out of the box. The S5 supports it but needs a coil inserted inside the back cover. I hope that all goes down easily because I've switched to completely wireless charging these days.

osmosizzz

Dec 13, 2010
Central Jersey. That's it
Two thoughts come to mind. First, I do battery-pull reboots of my S5 all the time (it black screen locks up due to a hardware issue) and I think most of us that flash ROMs have done the same a few times over the years. For instance, how would you get out of download mode if you don't flash anything? I hope that's addressed somewhere.

Second, I hope it comes with everything it needs for wireless charging out of the box. The S5 supports it but needs a coil inserted inside the back cover. I hope that all goes down easily because I've switched to completely wireless charging these days.

Ive used the one plus one, the LG G2, and the HTC one m7 all without removable backs. You just hold the power button. no matter where are you in the system partition, (recovery, system or download mode or fastboot mode) holding the power button will yield a reboot or a power off state. and to reply to this thread, its not an easy thing the average joe can do but i myself fix friends phones and have a heatgun so heating up the back glass to soften the adhesive and chnage the battery after the first or second year doesnt look like it'll be a problem. the problem i do have however is if the phone rejects the new battery. my LG G2 rejected the newer battery and that thing would die at 50% and not charge all the way. even after calibration. but back its original battery and everything worked fine again

Reactions: kdude63

smooth4lyfe

Apr 4, 2012
www.smooth4lyfemusic.com

(1) For phones with non-removable batteries, there are certain buttons held together to perform hard reset, which is pretty much the same as a battery pull. I think for Samsung devices is Vol Down + Home Button

(2) The S6 is capable of wireless charging out the box, but its confirmed it will not come with a wireless charger in the box. The wireless charger is sold separately for $59.99

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Judging from these leaked housings:

kMdxyep.jpg

The back will be adhered using some sort of adhesive, which is considerably difficult to remove by a user with little/no phone repair experience. As noted by the manual, those instructions "are only for your service provider or an authorised repair agent." By this logic, every smartphone (even the HTC One's sandwiched design) has a removable battery, just of varying process complexity.

Work in phone repairs.
If we're comparing Samsungs with Sonys, the S6 is more similar to the Z1 than it is to the Z3, because it also involves unscrewing a cover that covers the logic board. But in fact, the S6 is actually very similar to the S5 in that the back housing covering the internals also makes up the side bezel of the phone, albeit being disassembled screen-first, and it is not made of metal/glass. Otherwise, both the S5 and S6 have a mid-frame chassis on which the logic board is mounted on, covered by the back housing then the battery cover.

Xperia-Z1-disassembly-guide_35.jpg

40uRtGo.jpg
Im sure it works similar to this...cant be too hard!!

http://youtu.be/gYDXuK_Hy3I
The Z3 in that video has been prepared in advance. Take a look at this video, and skip to 2:55:

The Z2 and Z3 both have that stretchy white adhesive holding the back down in the middle. If you expect the Z3's back cover to come off that easily, you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:
Reactions: smooth4lyfe

smooth4lyfe

Apr 4, 2012
www.smooth4lyfemusic.com
The Z3 in that video has been prepared in advance. Take a look at this video, and skip to 2:55:

The Z2 and Z3 both have that stretchy white adhesive holding the back down in the middle. If you expect the Z3's back cover to come off that easily, you're gonna have a bad time.

Out of curiousity, is it a special adhesive that cannot be purchased in stores? Say a laymen person was to remove it on his own by watching a YouTube video. How would he be able to put the cover back on tightly?

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Out of curiousity, is it a special adhesive that cannot be purchased in stores? Say a laymen person was to remove it on his own by watching a YouTube video. How would he be able to put the cover back on tightly?
There are two ways of re-applying that adhesive:

1. Use a roll of black 3M tape, and cut it by hand and sticking it around the perimeter of the glass
2. Buy pre-cut double-sided tape that is made specifically for your application (recommended)

Pictured below is a typical roll of 3M tape, underneath a typical pre-cut tape:

bhKP8Mi.jpg

The former may be able to be purchased in a hardware store, but the latter may not.

Last edited:
Reactions: smooth4lyfe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Though probably not as easy as the S5, it still is technically removable and you can change the battery if you follow the directions, its in the Galaxy S6 manual on page 138
    Here is the manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...M-G920F_UM_EU_Lollipop_Eng_Rev.1.0_150302.pdf

DISCLAIMER: Attempting this on your own is doing so at your own risk, and I am not responsible for any damage to your phone

HERE IS A VIDEO OF HOW IT WORKS: http://youtu.be/gYDXuK_Hy3I

Work in phone repairs.
    It's removable in the same way that the iPhone 6 battery is removable....;)
    Thank god I can replace the battery relatively easily on the s6. I just saw a video of how to replace the battery on the HTC m8 and lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Ive used the one plus one, the LG G2, and the HTC one m7 all without removable backs. You just hold the power button. no matter where are you in the system partition, (recovery, system or download mode or fastboot mode) holding the power button will yield a reboot or a power off state. and to reply to this thread, its not an easy thing the average joe can do but i myself fix friends phones and have a heatgun so heating up the back glass to soften the adhesive and chnage the battery after the first or second year doesnt look like it'll be a problem. the problem i do have however is if the phone rejects the new battery. my LG G2 rejected the newer battery and that thing would die at 50% and not charge all the way. even after calibration. but back its original battery and everything worked fine again