[DEV] 09/June v1.8.1.6 - fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery without a PC

Search This thread

neoKushan

Nov 7, 2008
Warrington
Does desire have ext3 support built in? Can you try with the experimental 1.8.2.0?

I don't think the desire has built in ext3 support, but apps2sd is working fine for me. Anyhoo, I'm doing a 1.8.2.0 backup now, I'll let you know how it goes in a min (although I should point out that ROM manager claims I've got 1.8.2.0 yet when I reboot into it, it still shows up as 1.8.1.9, not sure if that's right or not?)

neoKushan

Nov 7, 2008
Warrington
Yup and it definitely said 1.8.1.9 when rebooting into recovery, but ROM Manager shows 1.8.2.0.

I'll try an experiment.

EDIT: Ok, so I don't know if this is relevant or not, but when I switch between 1.8.1.9 and 1.8.2.0 using ROM manager, the update.zip on the SD card doesn't appear to change (checked the MD5 hashes on both files).

Last edited:

squrl

Apr 17, 2010
Prague
1.8.2.0 does not work at all. It just shows a phone icon with a red question mark an after few seconds the phone reboots.

Last edited:

neoKushan

Nov 7, 2008
Warrington
It's experimental for a reason, I'm guessing =)

slightly off-topic, but I notice that when nandroid makes a backup or whatever, the images applied to the SD card seem to be off by about 1 hour (The phone's clock is definitely set correctly). Probably something to do with BST. Anything relating to the recovery or is it a bigger "issue" (Because it's not that big a deal, really) with the Desire itself?

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
1.8.2.0 does not work at all. It just shows a phone icon with a red question mark an after few seconds the phone reboots.

K :) I'll figure out what's up. I don't even know if the experimental recovery button works properly on Desire at the moment... the recovery mechanism is completely different from what the other phones use, so there will be stuff broken here and there while I work out the details.

scotch whisky

Mar 25, 2006
Kent U.K.
ROM Manager 1.8.2.0 works as it should on my Desire running MoDaCo r3.1
apart from not seeing the ext partition.

"Could not mount SD-ext" when backing up.

version 1.8.1.9 cannot backup the ext partition either. Gives the same error message.

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007

version 1.8.1.9 cannot backup the ext partition either. Gives the same error message.

Alright, thanks. I'll see what the other recovery does and try to make it work.

squrl

Apr 17, 2010
Prague

Hmm that's weird, running MCR r3.1 too... Are you sure you're running 1.8.2.0?

sucramco

Jun 10, 2010
Lowestoft
Mine didn't update to 1.8.2.0, untill I selected it from the all clockwork recoveries and updated it. However rom manager does state it is using 1.8.2.0, but underneath it says the latest recovery is 1.8.1.9. Very odd.
Backup definitely does not backup any ext on the sd card.

qubz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2007
A parallel dimension
The install guide says -
"Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)"

but the file I downloaded is named - recovery-clockwork-bravo.zip
Should I rename it as update.zip ?

JonesWTF

Jan 2, 2010
London
The install guide says -
"Copy the update.zip to the root of your SD card (the name MUST remain as update.zip)"

but the file I downloaded is named - recovery-clockwork-bravo.zip
Should I rename it as update.zip ?

Yeah, just rename it to update.zip. Or go to the market and download ROM Manager. It's far easier to just use that.