Win 8 Metro Poll and discussion - No FUD aloud!!

After X period of time, What is your opinion of the Windows 8 Metro UI?

• Between than 1 - 2 Weeks - Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I hear what you are saying and am not against Ms at all. It does create good OS's but they also create failures. Look at vista vs w7. It is no contest and working in the it support field, I see what people struggle with. What my biggest concern was, that there are people that still prefer xp to w7 because they are scared of change. How am I going to explain to those people to go to w8? I really wanted w8 to succeed and I found it feels wrong on a desktop. If Ms just kept the option to change to the the classic start for those who hate metro, I feel that would solve the problem. I know I am going to get a lot of people that uses the basics of computers to take metro off....

Sent from my GT-P7500 using XDA

absolutely, and those points are completely valid, although I don't agree that what is vista now is much worse than 7 is, all be it after a couple of Service packs.

What we need to keep in mind is that despite what some think, this is no where near completion, there is a learning curve for people used to the "old" ways so I would expect some changes, and I would expect some form of learning tool similar to what Windows 95 had. We cant rule out the start button returning either, although I no longer miss it.

For new users though I do think the situation is somewhat different, metro seems basic and that is its point, it is also easy to use, al be it in a basic function, which to be fair is what most people who are not tech savy want.

Take outlook, or outlook express or live Mail as it is now. I can promise you that most users don't use even a third of what they are capable of doing.

MS will have all these stats and would have seen similar trends, by an large, the large chuck of the general public will use the mail client to download their email, look at it, then delete it. which is exactly what metro apps would be good for.

They funny thing is, I use it too, if I have something more substantial that needs done then I fire up outlook but on the whole, its not used that much any more.

And this is where I really like the metro idea, because it is very efficient, IF you can and are able to set it up right ( I do take on board the learning curve though)

as for convincing folk to move to it, well, for jo blogs the problem would be a lot less if they actually used it rather than read FUD on the web written by people who have either "heard x y z" didn't bother using it at all, or didn't give it a chance. This alone is going to be the biggest battle MS has to face, it happened with WP as well, and they lost that one. I think they completely underestimated the power of the web where perception is everything and facts mean nothing.

In the work place its going to be more of a financial difficulty, I have plans already in place for migration and I really like where it "could" go, Company app hubs, messaging, email (exchange), Win 2 go, the app hub alone would be very handy, the problem comes down to finances, app development, system upgrades etc, but the work force will learn and from an admin point of view it will save money, after the initial outlay of course :)

Last edited:

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
absolutely, and those points are completely valid, although I don't agree that what is vista now is much worse than 7 is, all be it after a couple of Service packs.

What we need to keep in mind is that despite what some think, this is no where near completion, there is a learning curve for people used to the "old" ways so I would expect some changes, and I would expect some form of learning tool similar to what Windows 95 had. We cant rule out the start button returning either, although I no longer miss it.

For new users though I do think the situation is somewhat different, metro seems basic and that is its point, it is also easy to use, al be it in a basic function, which to be fair is what most people who are not tech savy want.

Take outlook, or outlook express or live Mail as it is now. I can promise you that most users don't use even a third of what they are capable of doing.

MS will have all these stats and would have seen similar trends, by an large, the large chuck of the general public will use the mail client to download their email, look at it, then delete it. which is exactly what metro apps would be good for.

They funny thing is, I use it too, if I have something more substantial that needs done then I fire up outlook but on the whole, its not used that much any more.

And this is where I really like the metro idea, because it is very efficient, IF you can and are able to set it up right ( I do take on board the learning curve though)

as for convincing folk to move to it, well, for jo blogs the problem would be a lot less if they actually used it rather than read FUD on the web written by people who have either "heard x y z" didn't bother using it at all, or didn't give it a chance. This alone is going to be the biggest battle MS has to face, it happened with WP as well, and they lost that one. I think they completely underestimated the power of the web where perception is everything and facts mean nothing.

In the work place its going to be more of a financial difficulty, I have plans already in place for migration and I really like where it "could" go, Company app hubs, messaging, email (exchange), Win 2 go, the app hub alone would be very handy, the problem comes down to finances, app development, system upgrades etc, but the work force will learn and from an admin point of view it will save money, after the initial outlay of course :)

I haven't missed the start button at all, in fact the hot corner replacement works fine for me and hasn't even interrupted gameplay like Developer Preview did. I also agree with everything in the quote.

Also, I must agree, there is quite a bit of a learning curve. I just gave my nephew it and he loves the fact that all the information is there and that you no longer have to goto Start -> All Programs -> Expand the group you want -> Click the program. Especially after I showed him the All Apps button :D

Well Dazza, It seems like the poll served it's purpose in my opinion. When I read posts of "half the peoples here hate win8" and saw the poll for the first time, I figured you must've thought "Challenge Accepted" lol. So far 50% of those who bothered to vote like Windows 8 :D

Also, I love the fact that the Calendar application synchronizes with Google Calendar, I never need to open Chrome or use my Android phone to edit my calendar ever again :D (And can still see it all on the phone)

They did an excellent job on the web services integration. The Facebook and Google integration work very well. I would love to see a plug-in for Google Voice in Messaging though and the Xbox applications are amazing, Xbox Companion is great! xD

Reactions: dazza9075

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
The results are even better than that :)

Off the bat without playing with them around
62% of people who voted overall like Win8
30% of people who voted didn't like win 8
the remaining were unsure
So twice the number of people like it than dont. not bad considering!

If we then add people who are unsure based on the like to dislike ratio of that time frame we see the following

overall

71% of people like it
33% of people don't like it

and Statistically the longer you use it the more chance there is you will like it.

Unfortunately these figures are slightly skewed as several of the people who didn't like it and said they used it for more than 2 weeks appear to have lied judging by their other posts.

Quite why anyone would want to make this look worse than it is, is beyond me
I just don't understand the mentality of some people, why go out of there way to discredit something they know little about, presumably these are the same people who just slag off anything Microsoft out of some twisted belief that MS are the devil and must be bad. whilst of course remaining completely blinkered about ethics of their own choice of software.

News flash folks, nothing and nobody is perfect, and the only person to lose out when your insisting on sticking to your brand/distro loyality is yourself, the best software is the software that gets the job done in the best way for your needs, and right now, it looks like Win 8 will fit my needs perfectly.

anyhow, rant over.

im expecting a jump in dislike votes after posting this as from what I can tell some folk would rather lie and discredit this rather than let the general consensus suggest that perhaps just maybe Win 8 isn't so bad after all.

ps.

Before anyone jumps up an down suggesting that MS fanboys will like this regardless let me just say this, maybe your right, but at the end of the day, who are they hurting? if they like it, so what, its an opinion so themselves is the answer, but people spreading FUD around without any real reason potentially hurts many others out there who believe your FUD, as I said, if you have a factual reason for not liking it then im cool with that, but baseless mindlessness FUD is not cool, its pretty ****ty to be honest and very immature.

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011
Metro: Hate it, with the fire of a thousand suns.

Been using this for a while on a non-development machine just to try and get the feel of it, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I absolutely loathe the metro interface.

I don't know what changes are in store for the final version(s) but I would hope against hope that they make it easier than it is now to disable that atrocity than with a regedit. Granted, it's pretty easy to do, but the general public isn't all that keen on digging around in the registry for anything.

In regards to the poll - I have an unofficial poll result of my own to share with the class: Out of 10 people I know that tried Win8 out (11, myself included, so I'll leave myself out) 6 of them disabled the metro interface within the first week, 3 more a week later. Only one out of the group kept the metro interface, and he had mixed feelings on it. So 90% (intensely) dislike, and one undecided.

Beyond that interface though, everything else looks and runs great (for a beta). Looking forward to the final release and an optional metro screen, or a few seconds in the registry.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Been using this for a while on a non-development machine just to try and get the feel of it, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I absolutely loathe the metro interface.

I don't know what changes are in store for the final version(s) but I would hope against hope that they make it easier than it is now to disable that atrocity than with a regedit. Granted, it's pretty easy to do, but the general public isn't all that keen on digging around in the registry for anything.

In regards to the poll - I have an unofficial poll result of my own to share with the class: Out of 10 people I know that tried Win8 out (11, myself included, so I'll leave myself out) 6 of them disabled the metro interface within the first week, 3 more a week later. Only one out of the group kept the metro interface, and he had mixed feelings on it. So 90% (intensely) dislike, and one undecided.

Beyond that interface though, everything else looks and runs great (for a beta). Looking forward to the final release and an optional metro screen, or a few seconds in the registry.

So you have a small poll that's questionable at best using the previous version the developers preview? As folk have already stated, there is a learning curve to this at the moment, you lot binning it before you give it a chance proves a couple of things.

Firstly your opinion is worthless
Secondly, your not helping the situation, either MS or the public

I honestly think MS should scrap the preview programs, its quite clear that its a waste of time with many people and is only giving them bad PR with minimal useful feedback from very negative vocal people. There should be a competency test or something before you can download it....

:rolleyes:

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011
The OS itself was outstanding, ran smoothly and did everything we expected from a beta release - the issue was with the metro UI.

by the way, the "unofficial" poll I spoke of was just that, unofficial and based on real-world usability. The UI was garbage as a desktop interface - great for phones, crap for desktops. Just one (or 10) guys opinion.

As an aside, I didn't realize I was on an Apple board here - last time I checked they were the only ones dismissing opinions as "worthless" if it didn't jibe with the company line (or Jobs edicts on the way things oughta be)

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
The OS itself was outstanding, ran smoothly and did everything we expected from a beta release - the issue was with the metro UI.

by the way, the "unofficial" poll I spoke of was just that, unofficial and based on real-world usability. The UI was garbage as a desktop interface - great for phones, crap for desktops. Just one (or 10) guys opinion.

As an aside, I didn't realize I was on an Apple board here - last time I checked they were the only ones dismissing opinions as "worthless" if it didn't jibe with the company line (or Jobs edicts on the way things oughta be)

I agree with your statement.. Metro is fine for phone and quite possibly touch-screen tablets.. Desktop? NO. Don't want... Just my sole opinion... Even being in a pure Microsoft shop, those I've spoken to have said the same thing. I would like at least the option of using Aero or Metro as the default UI during setup or having a control panel entry.

On a technical note, I haven't tested any of the Windows 8 builds by myself. I've seen and played with it on a few computers that others were using.. What features of Windows 8 (outside of Metro UI) would be highly compelling for a typical Windows 7 user to feel the need to migrate to Windows 8? I would like to know so maybe I can think, "Hmm maybe I SHOULD test this out and convince others that they should potentially upgrade to this when it comes out".

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011
There's a lot to like...

Just a few nice perks:
1. Skydrive integration (finally)
2. Sign on / sync with Windows Live ID (think: roaming profiles)
3. IE10 with Ribbon bar (don't use IE, but 10 is pretty fast from what I'm told)
4. Windows to Go (boot from USB)
5. updated task manager with new features

There's a lot more, for a fairly large list go here: http://www.winrumors.com/heres-a-list-of-300-windows-8-features-that-microsoft-didnt-show/

I'll be upgrading once it comes out, but I'll be ditching Metro before I install the first application.

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
I've use it for a bit more than 2 weeks.

Yes there are some bugs here and there, and it seemed like a big change in the beginning. For some reason, my wifi seemed unstable in Win8, soI went back to Win7.

There were many features and things I missed from Win8. So yes, I do like it, though I can still see them improving it a bit more.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk

Im not dismissing your opinion as worthless because it didn't conform to the party line, im dismissing it because you've not used it (you've used the DP and disabled metro) for a decent period of time, you don't understand it and haven't come up with an argument that's anything more than being plain dismissive of it. The reason you open yourself up to such comments is simply that whatever you think of it, if you have used it you will have found good points about metro, and constructive views are welcome, but your not being constructive

I agree with your statement.. Metro is fine for phone and quite possibly touch-screen tablets.. Desktop? NO....
Why? its not like your forced to use metro and if anything its just a very fancy start menu...

Hmm maybe I SHOULD test this out and convince others that they should potentially upgrade to this when it comes out".

Absolutely test it out, but actually try it, to test something means just that, don't just side step it, if you use it (metro) don't like it, then feedback your comments to MS be constructive about it and you will be in a much stronger position to pass judgement on it. No one can fault an informed constructive opinion my friend

Just a few nice perks:
1. Skydrive integration (finally)
2. Sign on / sync with Windows Live ID (think: roaming profiles)
3. IE10 with Ribbon bar (don't use IE, but 10 is pretty fast from what I'm told)
4. Windows to Go (boot from USB)
5. updated task manager with new features

There's a lot more, for a fairly large list go here: http://www.winrumors.com/heres-a-list-of-300-windows-8-features-that-microsoft-didnt-show/

good list of 5 good points, id add to that

The built in spell check to OS functions
Significant improvement in speed and productivity

skydrive was only properly put in to place yesterday and its great
IE10 is amazingly fast and touch wood I've yet to have any issues with it, its built in spell check is also very accurate and efficient
that top 300 list can be seen as more of an improvement list, there is a lot of stuff on there what is in Win7 and is behind the scenes so its difficult to tell if it is indeed an improvement

I'll be upgrading once it comes out, but I'll be ditching Metro before I install the first application.

you let yourself down again with comments like that, install the CP, setup metro, use it, bring back your thoughts to the forum (some of your issues may just have been that you've missed something) On my desktop im in metro marginally more time than I used to sit around in the start menu, only im achieving a lot more doing so! I do have a couple of Apps installed that are quite useful but flicking between those and desktop programs is not an issue...

Now for a bit of CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on Win 8

For those of us that have had issues with multi monitor support and especially finding "those" locations to bring up the various menus try this..

Drop the resolution of the 2nd and 3rd monitor, then go to display settings and position the two screens in the centre of your main monitor, you will see the main monitor slightly hang out above and below the two side screens which gives you just enough room for your mouse to stop moving and active the menus.

not ideal by a long shot but its a work around for now.

Last edited:

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011
I have used it, although I'll admit not extensively - mainly because it's unusable as a production desktop. I'll concede that it's acceptable in a start screen capacity, and damned efficient on phones, but I prefer the start menu.

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
I just installed it , its running on a test machine full time and so far I love it , I like how I can switch between the desktop and the more intuitive Metro design , wish I had a "touch"" screen to test it on ! But it was a joy to install , almost as quick as Kubunto , the tweak factor is nice as well and for people who know nothing about networking it does it for you (of course you can go alot farther than that if you know how)!

We'll see in a month how I feel, but I dont think it will change , I loved Vista when it came out (never had problem with it) , WIn7 is still great!

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011
D

Installed it on a test machine to give it a second chance...

Day 1:

1. Did not disable metro, instead choosing to give it a "fair shake". Within about three hours, I was ready to throw the machine out of the window - and these windows don't open...

2. Start button? Seriously, what retard in Redmond thought that removing the single most-used item on the Windows desktop to be a good idea?

If it's not broke, don't "fix" it...

Scrolling sideways through a sea of applications looking for what I want, or having to use the search bar to get something isn't terribly efficient imho.

Tried a variety of replacements since a regedit to add it back actually reverts explorer and task manager to win7 versions as well... ViStart sucks out loud, but gets major credit for trying. Stardock Start8 isn't much better - basically it just minimizes that crap sideways scroll screen for applications. Kept it in the interest of maybe someday getting used to the idea. In the interim before my brain turns to gooey mush and I say to myself "oooohh, pritttttty, productivity be damned, man!" I went with simply creating a folder under C: and naming it "start menu" (my clever naming conventions are world renowned) - copying the shortcuts from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and then adding a new toolbar to the taskbar. Drug it to the left side and locked it.

3. Shook my head slowly and sighed in disgust that I actually had to go through all of that to get basic and quick app navigation back.

On the upside:
1. Upgrade went smoothly, and fairly quick.

2. System is responsive and smooth.

Hopefully I'll have some pros to go along with those cons tomorrow...

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Installed it on a test machine to give it a second chance...

Day 1:

1. Did not disable metro, instead choosing to give it a "fair shake". Within about three hours, I was ready to throw the machine out of the window - and these windows don't open...

2. Start button? Seriously, what retard in Redmond thought that removing the single most-used item on the Windows desktop to be a good idea?

If it's not broke, don't "fix" it...

Scrolling sideways through a sea of applications looking for what I want, or having to use the search bar to get something isn't terribly efficient imho.

Tried a variety of replacements since a regedit to add it back actually reverts explorer and task manager to win7 versions as well... ViStart sucks out loud, but gets major credit for trying. Stardock Start8 isn't much better - basically it just minimizes that crap sideways scroll screen for applications. Kept it in the interest of maybe someday getting used to the idea. In the interim before my brain turns to gooey mush and I say to myself "oooohh, pritttttty, productivity be damned, man!" I went with simply creating a folder under C: and naming it "start menu" (my clever naming conventions are world renowned) - copying the shortcuts from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and then adding a new toolbar to the taskbar. Drug it to the left side and locked it.

3. Shook my head slowly and sighed in disgust that I actually had to go through all of that to get basic and quick app navigation back.

On the upside:
1. Upgrade went smoothly, and fairly quick.

2. System is responsive and smooth.

Hopefully I'll have some pros to go along with those cons tomorrow...

1, why?
2, you have a start menu, granted the button that's been there for the last 17 YEARS! has gone, but clicking bottom left gives you the same information an a crap load more, the all apps button will give you a much easier list of programs and apps if the big icons are too.....big!
you say if its not broken don't fix it, well I kinda of agree and I am concerned about desktop clutter, however, after 17 years that argument is getting thin, after all, a horse isn't broken so why invent the car?

a little tip for you if you must have the function, and that's to add a desktop toolbar to the start bar, then add a shortcut to the start menu folder on your desktop. clicking on the desktop toolbar then gives you a very similar start menu to one we used to be used too.

personally I find it much quicker finding and running programs using metro now, the start menu can be a royal waste of time if you have a lot installed.

edit, oops I see you already worked that one out, well done for trying, btw, im a tad confused when you keep talking about disabling metro, on the CP you cant do that, so to be clear, you are using the CP aren't you? not the DP?

3, again, start menu is there and I don't find it any slower....im curious, (im giving you a get out of jail free card here so listen) are you using this on a laptop with a trackpad? that is the only input device ive had issues with, so if you are then that explains a lot.

mdwbeex

May 11, 2011

A plethora of reasons, but to sum up: it un-intuitive, clunky and generally just feels as though it was designed by a group of meth addicts after a 7 day binge - I get that it's a beta, but if this is going to be anything like the final version, I actually may opt out entirely and be like one of those old bastards that desperately cling to their Windows 95 installations...

2, you have a start menu, granted the button that's been there for the last 17 YEARS! has gone, but clicking bottom left gives you the same information an a crap load more...

Information? yes. In an efficient format? No. The start menu now takes up a whole screen, (Really? Full Screen? w.t.f.) and requires left to right scrolling to find what you want rather than the simple, compact and intuitive "classic" start menu.

a horse isn't broken so why invent the car?

A more apt comparison, in this case, might be: A horse isn't broken, so let's try sandals.

3, again, start menu is there and I don't find it any slower....im curious, (im giving you a get out of jail free card here so listen) are you using this on a laptop with a trackpad? that is the only input device ive had issues with, so if you are then that explains a lot.

Get of jail free card? For what? Using it on a laptop yes, but in a dock with dual monitors, keyboard and mouse - essentially a desktop. The issues aren't with performance - as previously stated, I find that it runs smoothly and is responsive. The disjointed, clumsy UI is what I find issue with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have used it for about 3 weeks now but i am still unsure whether it should be released along with the desktop OS when the RC comes out. tbh I see what they're trying to do, but it's a very bad move for desktop / laptops (unless touchscreen). Compatibility to older windows programs is limited and it's more of an annoyance than anything helpful. They tried to emulate the launch control in Mac with extra features, but i fail to see how this is revolutionary to desktop pcs and such. It just gave you two desktops, one of which you'll rarely use. Of course there are many other things I can complain about, but don't want to rant up this thread lol. Sure it looks pretty and all, but it's more limited than win7 and I don't see how that's a plus.
    Compatibility to older windows programs is limited and it's more of an annoyance than anything helpful.
    Hows that? im unsure where your coming from on this one as it runs anything ive tried that worked on Win 7 so how is it Limited and annoying?

It just gave you two desktops, one of which you'll rarely use.
    I presume you mean the Metro UI is rarely used? From what ive seen the key to getting the most out of Metro is to set it up, at the moment there are limited "apps" which make use of the full live tile function but it will get there, the email, messaging , photos, calendar, Music all work fine (all be it we cant use music properly outside of the US just now)

Sure it looks pretty and all, but it's more limited than win7 and I don't see how that's a plus.
    I don't see how its more limited? can you explain that? Metro is just a layer on top of the desktop, personally I cant see any less functionality.
    I have used it for about 3 weeks now but i am still unsure whether it should be released along with the desktop OS when the RC comes out. tbh I see what they're trying to do, but it's a very bad move for desktop / laptops (unless touchscreen). Compatibility to older windows programs is limited and it's more of an annoyance than anything helpful. They tried to emulate the launch control in Mac with extra features, but i fail to see how this is revolutionary to desktop pcs and such. It just gave you two desktops, one of which you'll rarely use. Of course there are many other things I can complain about, but don't want to rant up this thread lol. Sure it looks pretty and all, but it's more limited than win7 and I don't see how that's a plus.

Howso? I use all the older programs that I've always used, It's not limited and it's not an annoyance. How are they trying to emulate Launch Control when the Metro UI dates back to before Launch Control (It's been there since WP7's release which was before Lion's)? I actually use both desktops fairly equally.

Edit: I actually have a correction to that Metro UI has been there since Microsoft released the Zune Player software for PC and Zune devices. So it's effectively been around before Launch Control and Lion.

Answering the poll:

Over 2 weeks and Overall Like. I love being able to see everything at a glance when I start Windows, I love the Metro Applications (Especially the Live Communication Applications). It truly is a step forward from the old, dated menu based interface and a step forward that I welcome. I used to switch OSes every few months because I'd get bored with how Windows looked and how limited I was with customizing it, but 8's changes give me the integration and customization that I like :D I love the Google Calendar sync, I finally have one calendar across all my devices ^_^, Can't wait to see what changes in RC. I just hope they don't bring back the Start Orb/Menu.

Edit: I would love to at least be able to post status changes to social networks in people though and I'm especially hoping for a Windows 8 Google Voice client so I don't have to open my web browser or look at my phone (especially if my phone's dead) to continue sending/receiving messages. I was going to make one in Developer's Preview but I couldn't find a suitable third-party API that supported receiving messages and I couldn't figure out XAML or the Metro Designer...

Also Dazza: I agree, I don't see any less functionality. Rather I see an increase of productivity and functionality.
    I stopped giving feedback when they stopped listening to and implementing the most trivial QoL changes in their products.

The Desktop doesn't even have a functioning start menu comparable to Windows Vista or 7 yet you somehow feel compelled to believe it's functionally identical.

Fine is in the eye of the beholder. Being thrown from Desktop to full screen metro apps and only being able to multi-task Metro apps by pinning one to 1/4the screen is a terrible compromise bordering on laughable.

Oh, and have you tried using Windows 8 on a non-touch laptop with only a Trackpad? Laughable...

I somehow doubt you have used windows 8 for 2 weeks... and I wonder how many other "haters" lied about how long they have used it. It's also surprising how many ditch it even though they have no clue...

EDIT: Here is over an hour of footage introducing Windows 8, please go through it... http://www.lynda.com/Windows-tutorials/Windows-Consumer-Preview-First-Look/100467-2.html

I haven't missed the start button at all, in fact the hot corner replacement works fine for me and hasn't even interrupted gameplay like Developer Preview did. I also agree with everything in the quote.

Also, I must agree, there is quite a bit of a learning curve. I just gave my nephew it and he loves the fact that all the information is there and that you no longer have to goto Start -> All Programs -> Expand the group you want -> Click the program. Especially after I showed him the All Apps button :D

Well Dazza, It seems like the poll served it's purpose in my opinion. When I read posts of "half the peoples here hate win8" and saw the poll for the first time, I figured you must've thought "Challenge Accepted" lol. So far 50% of those who bothered to vote like Windows 8 :D

Also, I love the fact that the Calendar application synchronizes with Google Calendar, I never need to open Chrome or use my Android phone to edit my calendar ever again :D (And can still see it all on the phone)

They did an excellent job on the web services integration. The Facebook and Google integration work very well. I would love to see a plug-in for Google Voice in Messaging though and the Xbox applications are amazing, Xbox Companion is great! xD