[Q] Corrupted partitions - phone won't boot (no bootloader nor recovery)

Search This thread

conorkickass

Nov 6, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hey community,

I think I have fully, irreparably bricked my N4. Here is my situation:

• I was running the latest nightly of OmniRom
  • My battery was dying quick so I wanted to try and use Franco Kernel
  • My USB cable wasn't working so I needed an on-device way to flash
  • Francos latest kernel (209) is in a .img and not flashable .zip
  • I found a thread (which I can't find now) suggesting I dd if=boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
  • I get into adb shell over wifi and issues the command, but I make a HUGE mistake and miss the "p6" when copying (wrote the image to mmcblk0)
  • I panic and issue a reboot command

My phone will no longer boot. Even the 'recovery' way of holding volume down and power for 15 seconds only results in a single red pulse of the LED and causes my computer (Manjaro linux) to print the following error in its logs:

qcserial ttyUSB0: usb_wwan_indat_callback: resubmit read urb failed. (-19)

Is there anything to be done for my phone short of sending it off for repair? I'm a Canadian living in Peru and to get the N4 fixed I think I'll need to send it back home to Canada and then have someone there send it off. I can't even buy a new phone very easily because the cell phone market in Peru is so expensive. Even if I buy a new device on Google Play and have to get someone from Canada to send it to me in Peru and the import taxes could be as much as the phone.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
If you can't get it to boot you're pretty much hosed. I'm not even sure what partition mmcblk0 is. For the future, don't use dd commands unless you really know what you're doing. If you'd issued the right command the 0p6 partition is the boot partition and it probably would have worked.

You're probably stuck with jtag right now

But, check out the flashify app. It would have flashed the kernel correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: conorkickass

Berrydroidcafe

May 12, 2011
Cleveland Ohio - San Diego Ca
Hey community,

• My USB cable wasn't working so I needed an on-device way

My phone will no longer boot. Even the 'recovery' way of holding volume down and power for 15 seconds only results in a single red pulse of the LED and causes my computer (

• Sometimes one has to find out the hard way that one should never try to flash anything with a low battery. [emoji33][emoji15][emoji45][emoji46]

If you have a wall charger, try letting it charge for awhile and see if you can boot into the recovery.

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3

conorkickass

Nov 6, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'm not even sure what partition mmcblk0 is. For the future, don't use dd commands unless you really know what you're doing. If you'd issued the right command the 0p6 partition is the boot partition and it probably would have worked.

Yep, I had the command right but I copy-pasted wrong. One of those moments when a non-existent 'enter' is pasted into the terminal window.

If you have a wall charger, try letting it charge for awhile and see if you can boot into the recovery.

No luck, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new phone. *sigh*

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Overnight. I'm thinking this red light is the Red Light of Death and not the read light of dead battery - it doesn't pulse, it only pulses on once and then goes out again.
first off, there is a zip folder in the franco´s server, that contains zip
second
mmcblk0 its the whole nand, if u rebooted it then it didnt finished flashing, so abootb can still be alive
get a Windows pc(needs to be win 7 or lower,8 causes problems), and try to use lgnpst or qpst,
lgnpst:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/tutorial-how-to-unbrick-n4-t2347060
qpst(if abovedosent work)
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/wip-unbricking-nexus-4-using-qpst-t2208289
(required files are in the last page)

conorkickass

Nov 6, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Looks like JTAG is my only option. I think I've found a place that can do it in Lima. Anyone have any idea of JTAG services in Peru? (That might be a long shot). Thaks all for the suggestions and advice!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you can't get it to boot you're pretty much hosed. I'm not even sure what partition mmcblk0 is. For the future, don't use dd commands unless you really know what you're doing. If you'd issued the right command the 0p6 partition is the boot partition and it probably would have worked.

You're probably stuck with jtag right now

But, check out the flashify app. It would have flashed the kernel correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
    Hey community,

• My USB cable wasn't working so I needed an on-device way

My phone will no longer boot. Even the 'recovery' way of holding volume down and power for 15 seconds only results in a single red pulse of the LED and causes my computer (

• Sometimes one has to find out the hard way that one should never try to flash anything with a low battery. [emoji33][emoji15][emoji45][emoji46]

Sent with my Nexus® 10 minus 3
    Yep, I had the command right but I copy-pasted wrong. One of those moments when a non-existent 'enter' is pasted into the terminal window.

No luck, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new phone. *sigh*
    How long did you charge it? If only the N4 would charge as fast as it discharge....
    Overnight. I'm thinking this red light is the Red Light of Death and not the read light of dead battery - it doesn't pulse, it only pulses on once and then goes out again.
    first off, there is a zip folder in the franco´s server, that contains zip
    second
    mmcblk0 its the whole nand, if u rebooted it then it didnt finished flashing, so abootb can still be alive
    get a Windows pc(needs to be win 7 or lower,8 causes problems), and try to use lgnpst or qpst,
    lgnpst:
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/tutorial-how-to-unbrick-n4-t2347060
    qpst(if abovedosent work)
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/wip-unbricking-nexus-4-using-qpst-t2208289
    (required files are in the last page)