this phone appears too fragile!

Search This thread

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
Do you guys also have little hairline (?) cracks in/at the bezel? In the Netherlands we've got a lot of people complaining about it, look at those pictures http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/38589348#38589348
Perhaps normally you wouldn't notice them, just put some more effort in it, and you'll see them.

Yes, that crack is exactly what showed up this week on mine. Like a stress fracture or something. I actually noticed it through the tpu case.

A lot of skeptical people in this post since it hasn't happened to them yet.

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
I've never understood why people buy slim as **** phones and then bulk them up with big stupid cases like an otterbox. Retailers use slim and light as a selling point.. And then sell you a 50 dollar case that defeats the purpose of a slim phone.

To each their own I guess... Where you are willing to pay the money for a case and then screen protectors and, without a doubt, add bulk and thickness to a sexy thin device.. I am willing to show off my sexy device in all its thin glory, save the money on the case and chance a warranty claim.

In the end, we both get to the same place right? We get to keep our phones in working order, I just choose to do it in a way that doesn't make my phone look like it came out of the 90s.. I'll chance the 100 dollar replacement cost over the 60 bucks for a case and screen protector

Lol otterbox.. Dumbist **** ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree with you however there are some cases where it is needed. For example construction workers and mom's with little kids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

TAZ427

Jul 16, 2012
Sugar Land, TX
I love how everyone assumes I'm trolling and consistently comments about cases without reading.
Cases are used. Phones are cracked. Mine was not dropped.
Here's one pic from my cracked back. To all of you who assume your $50 case will save you... Good luck.

Can you post a picture that doesn't look like it was shot on a $10 webcam in poor lighting conditions? Not being an arse just would like to see the issue. Also, can you state how you carry the phone around (front pocket, back pocket, etc?)

A lot of women tend to carry phones in their back pocket which drives me nuts, and I'd think the SGS3 would not take being sat on too well. That said, I've had a few hip high falls so far w/o any damage. One face down onto concrete. This was in the first 2 weeks, when I didn't have a case for it and was carrying it in my front pocket (I don't like doing this, I'm a holster kind of guy.)

The CrazyOnDigital holster I got, I'm not crazy about, but it also provides an affective case with it. Still looking for a regular holster that will fit it and then may get a hard case.

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
lol i've been putting it in my pocket but that even makes me nervous i think its cause i don't know the limits of the phone like the iphone i had a side cause but with my optimus 2x aka g2x i had it in a side cause which eventually broke down and then i was walking one day and the phone shot out of my hand and at a fast speed shot into a brick wall and i was like OH GOD OH GOD to realize that it only had a minor scratch on the screen and tiny one on the bezel around it so after that carry it with my keys and what didn't bother me cause i knew the strength of the phone but this one i'm still play super cautious

radrian92

Nov 16, 2010
Placentia
My s2 survived a 10ft fall(roof) and I only got a dent in the outer casing. Had a incipio feather case which didn't help much. It finally died when someone stepped on it(179lbs) and even then the gorilla glass didn't shatter but the inner LCD...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

devmaster321

Jun 22, 2012
try buying a TPU case off ebay. should relieve some of the stress from gripping the shell of the phone. The case will absorb most of the grip and it will prevent any cracking (Been working for me).

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
Can you post a picture that doesn't look like it was shot on a $10 webcam in poor lighting conditions? Not being an arse just would like to see the issue. Also, can you state how you carry the phone around (front pocket, back pocket, etc

Haha. That $10 photo was our almighty 8mpxl camera.

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
got a case soft plastic makes it feel better and the guy threw in a screen protector for free only cost me 20 bucks so im happy now :D

Wond3r

Aug 24, 2008
Are you actually trying to argue that a case on the phone doesnt save it? There are many people on here even with slim cases (which really dont protector much and leave the edges exposed) that have dropped the phone with no negative consequences. Now think about an actual case that is designed with some real protection.
Its not even a conversation to be having...

browniegirl

Jul 2, 2012
Can we SERIOUSLY stop arguing on this topic. There are defect phones. There have been alot of complaints on the phone bezels cracking. Everyone here still chose to get the stupid phone. There's ALWAYS a risk when you buy a phone. ALWAYS! Nothing is perfect. If you don't want a case, dont wear one. If you want a case wear one if you get a defect phone complain to whoever your insurance/phone company is through. Like seriously..you all sound like a bunch of school girls in a cat fight!!!!

Ps.- phone isn't stupid I'm just annoyed.

Sent fromTyra's galaxy siii C:

Reactions: krackerjac

RaymondPJR

Oct 7, 2010
Portland
A lot of women tend to carry phones in their back pocket which drives me nuts, and I'd think the SGS3 would not take being sat on too well. That said, I've had a few hip high falls so far w/o any damage. One face down onto concrete. This was in the first 2 weeks, when I didn't have a case for it and was carrying it in my front pocket (I don't like doing this, I'm a holster kind of guy.)

I think it all depends on what part of the phone takes the hit. Mine fell only 2 1/2 feet onto a paved parking lot. It fell sort of face down and struck the upper right corner, just at the edge of the screen. The cracks radiate from that point. Then obviously it bounced to the opposite corner and suffered some damage to the bezel. So if your phone happens to fall just right, it's toast. I'll post a picture later today. I got my replacement and am happy again. I really like the phone and hope I don't suffer any more problems from future drop incidents.

BabyHuey

Jul 6, 2012
All u need is a case and screen protector from your local provider store. My case was 25 and screen protectors 15 (manager gave me a deal) originally 20. But if u plan on using your phone alot and for a while u need to get protection. Im very clumsy wit my phones and the case goes nice wit my phon. They have black blue and white and white and pink at my att store idk bout others

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

M988

Jul 18, 2012
how does the screen hold up for scratches? i don't usually like to put a screen protector on.
i've had mine a few days and so far so good

rowan fire

Nov 30, 2010
Austin
This thread made me take a good look at my phone. Now I'm about to cry. Kind of wish I hadn't read it because I'm not sure I would have noticed my cracks otherwise.

I have cracks in all four corners on the "metal" strip going around the phone.

No, I didn't drop it. No, I didn't abuse it. I'm a housewife (who doesn't get out much.) My phone has sat safely on my desk or counter like 95% of its life so far. The few times I've taken it out of the house with me, it's been in a slip case inside a pocket in my purse.

I can't imagine what in the world I could have done to cause cracks like this =( This phone sees ZERO stress. I've used it a few times for phone calls that lasted like 2-3hrs and a handful of short calls. I text several times a day. I baby this phone, I make sure it rests on a soft microfiber cloth when on my desk or counter.

The only "rough" handling this phone has seen was trying on the snap on Tech21 D30 case at the T-Mobile store. It was easy to get on, but it was a ***** to get off.

I'm worried about my tripping the flash counter when I rooted... Even if it's a physical problem with the phone, might they deny the warranty due to me playing with the software? I do have the insurance and I'll drop the phone in the pool if I have to, but that means I have to pay $130 for another phone which I shouldn't have to do.

*sigh*

neotoky

Aug 2, 2010
This thread made me take a good look at my phone. Now I'm about to cry. Kind of wish I hadn't read it because I'm not sure I would have noticed my cracks otherwise.

I have cracks in all four corners on the "metal" strip going around the phone.

No, I didn't drop it. No, I didn't abuse it. I'm a housewife (who doesn't get out much.) My phone has sat safely on my desk or counter like 95% of its life so far. The few times I've taken it out of the house with me, it's been in a slip case inside a pocket in my purse.

I can't imagine what in the world I could have done to cause cracks like this =( This phone sees ZERO stress. I've used it a few times for phone calls that lasted like 2-3hrs and a handful of short calls. I text several times a day. I baby this phone, I make sure it rests on a soft microfiber cloth when on my desk or counter.

The only "rough" handling this phone has seen was trying on the snap on Tech21 D30 case at the T-Mobile store. It was easy to get on, but it was a ***** to get off.

I'm worried about my tripping the flash counter when I rooted... Even if it's a physical problem with the phone, might they deny the warranty due to me playing with the software? I do have the insurance and I'll drop the phone in the pool if I have to, but that means I have to pay $130 for another phone which I shouldn't have to do.

*sigh*

Those are not cracks, they are seams. I have them too, it's normal and not a defect.

Reactions: Juicy92

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I have a cracked back cover, and I now found a crack on the plastic bezel today. Not drop damage. It must be stress fracturing or something. I also have minor scratches on screen. The stuff I wouldn't see until a year of use with prior gorilla glass phones.
    My buddy dropped from pocket onto his wood deck and the glass cracked.
    I see multiple people reporting cracked screens from minor falls.

Starting to question the reliability of what appeared to be a great device. Phones shouldn't need babied.

Other thoughts or experiences?

maybe you should stop treating your 500$ electronics like their childrens toys. had mine a week and its still unblemished.
    So I have a cracked back cover, and I now found a crack on the plastic bezel today. Not drop damage. It must be stress fracturing or something. I also have minor scratches on screen. The stuff I wouldn't see until a year of use with prior gorilla glass phones.
    My buddy dropped from pocket onto his wood deck and the glass cracked.
    I see multiple people reporting cracked screens from minor falls.

Starting to question the reliability of what appeared to be a great device. Phones shouldn't need babied.

Other thoughts or experiences?
    You're kidding right? Have you watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuq4eocS_GY
    Smartass solution: Take better care of your stuff. I've had a cell phone for 8 years and not once have I dropped any of them on a hard surface.

Real solution: Get a protective case, not a cheap little plastic something. Otterbox Defender or Trident Kraken.
    Samsung makes the cheapest plastic crap phones for build quality this widely known by all so it should be no surprise to anybody.

There are defective samples of products made from ANY material, but PLASTIC is still the best choice for a phone for many reasons: it's lighter, stronger, cheaper, more drop-resilient, and it doesn't interfere with nfc/gps/radio. Even the very first landline handsets were and still are made of... plastic.

(and people who proclaim that "metal & glass is more premium" are just tools)
    That's also why my ***GS3*** is not marked up after falling on the concrete.

Sent from my ***iPhone*** using Tapatalk

:eek: You have a Galaxy S3 that's not marked up, with a 4.8" screen but yet you're using an iPhone to post this??? :eek:

:confused::eek::confused: I'm confused...