Halted in europe

Search This thread

Sharkonwheels

Mar 28, 2010
It's all a bunch of BS - why everyone bows down to that thieving fruit company.

Google for Navigon 7200, and look at images, and lo an behold it suuuure does look similar - except that was 2008.

Navigon 7200T (2008):
navigon_7200t_3d.jpg

Oh - and the icon dock that FruitCo invented?
Yeah - sure.

search for "Common Desktop Environment" (CDE) which is, oh, I don't know, 18 years old?

CDE:
ScreenShot.jpg

Hmmm...

Sure does look like a dock...
Maybe Apple has a Delorean that hits 88mph, and then...

To put it another way, CDE and the icon dock was devised while Apple still had the //e platinum in production!
And the Macs were 68030/68040, running mostly system 6 or 7.

Last edited:

bengl

Apr 10, 2006
I feel really bad for the android fans in Europe. I have used in the last year 4 tablets (including IPAD2) and I love my galaxy. with exception of the connectivity its the best imho. I got it for $395. Hope that this court ruling gets thrown out so the android community can grow and all the great work you guys do here. IPAD is for simple people, Android tablets are for functional people

Jnn1

Nov 10, 2010

Google for Navigon 7200, and look at images, and lo an behold it suuuure does look similar - except that was 2008.

Navigon 7200T (2008):
navigon_7200t_3d.jpg

Yeah - sure.

search for "Common Desktop Environment" (CDE) which is, oh, I don't know, 18 years old?

CDE:
ScreenShot.jpg

Hmmm...

To put it another way, CDE and the icon dock was devised while Apple still had the //e platinum in production!

Wow ... this is eye opening. I knew Apple was better at repacking and selling tech (hardware and software) to the masses than actually inventing them (of course Sammy is little good as well, except some innovations in screen and memory tech maybe), but this nails it for this particular court case which was about the community dock design infringement. Either the German judge is biased or Sammy's lawyers are incompetent. Of course, the real victims are again us customers. Glad I'm not in EU right now.

Sharkonwheels

Mar 28, 2010
Here's another twist, with CDE and a window manager looking like MS Windows.

fvwm95hb9.png

And here's another standard CDE shot, but with the dock fully visible:

ss3.jpg

Not only that, but OS/2 also had it in PM/2 / WPS.

Warp 3.0:
os2warp3.gif

Warp 4.0:
1262248320FuhCtPeI.jpg

gdmuscle

Nov 2, 2010
So pissed I hate Apple so much it makes me puke

Apple needs to go under, they should look over those patents and check to see if they are actually valid or not. They are so broad that it just about covers every single flat, retangle, touch screen device out there. These judges are bunch of morons who probably don't have a clue on some of the technical writing in patents they just pass judgement without examing the true facts. First of why don't they notice that Apple all of a sudden got off their easy chair soon as the Android devices took off and starting selling millions? Isn't it fishy enough for the lawyers to catch that?

I really hope Apple loses get their asses kicked and their products banned.

Here's an idea, Samsung should use their new Flexible Plastic AMOLED screens and make a phone that is flexible enough to wrap around your wrist. A phone that has a screen rollable from a cylinder shaped device, then patent the tech. Then make a unbreakable Flexible Plastic AMOLED screened tablet so thin Crapple would have a hard time copying, then ban anyone from using their tech and keep Crapple away from their display technology. Samsung has a very large RND department and I think they can come up with tons of ways to beat Apple at their own game. Samsung went back to the drawing board when the Ipad2 came out and less than a few months had something thinner and lighter than the Ipad2. If Samsung can churn out devices this quickly imagine what they can design and create in a years time with their resources.

capufo

Jul 13, 2011
a
apple is such a two face. On one hand they buy their products vrom samsung and on the other hand they sue everyone even samsung. Samsung should stop providing materials to apple.

GCurry

Dec 17, 2010
Them that can't compete, sue.

Microsoft and Apple both stole liberally from Xerox. Tablets, aka DynaBook, was even conceptualized there, by Alan Kay, in 1968.

http://www.edibleapple.com/from-alan-kays-dynabook-to-the-apple-ipad/

Obviously, Apple couldn't compete in chips against Intel, in operating systems against Microsoft, nor in handhelds with its proprietary approach to everything.

So this time, it relies on its legal team to compete.

I give Jobs his due. He's the best product marketing manager in the world. But tablets, and other viewing-mostly devices are an idea whose time has come. Being slightly ahead of the pack is not worth what Apple is attempting to extort.

Sharkonwheels

Mar 28, 2010
Yep. They claim everything.

Apple: All your inventions are belong to us.

For example, all the iFruitSheep seem to think Apple invented multitouch.

Actually, University of Toronto, with Bill Buxton, were the first to use capacitance in a multi-touch display panel in 1985 http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html

Pierre Wellner published a paper on in 19-freaking-91 on a "DigitalDesk calculator" which was multi-touch and pinch-to-zoom capable. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22Concurrent+editing+the+group%27s+interface.%22

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2011
i really am worried that this is going to have a bad impact on app development for our tablet. things such as a possible HBO GO or an official netflix release, i will be really pissed if these things now never happen because of this. eff apple and the deathstar they try to rule the galaxy from.

DaWongOne

Mar 20, 2008
Yep, and that's why I don't use apple products. But Steve Jobs is being punished anyway. Apple is like cancer!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA Premium App

Jnn1

Nov 10, 2010
Seems like German courts work in different ways than here. This is from samsungs official response:

The request for injunction was filed with no notice to Samsung, and the order was issued without any hearing or presentation of evidence from Samsung.

So this injunction happens unilaterally. There is seriously something wrong about depriving end customers of a product without a proper airing of the contentions. How obnoxious.

bballer71418

Jul 27, 2010
Houston
This is exactly why I will never buy an apple product. I hate hearing icrap fans talk about how apple invented multi touch and even so far that apple invented the digital camera?! Apple has obviously lost all innovation (ripping android of notifications) and are always at least one step behind in hardware. They know Steve jobs is almost dead and without him they would be nothing. There just trying to wipe everyone else out before they reach there eventual doom. I say Google needs.to buy a **** load of patents and sue the crap out of apple. Same with Motorola who also has a heavy patent portfolio. Either way I'm waiting for Google to step up because android is there baby.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

emuneee

Mar 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
www.emuneee.com
i really am worried that this is going to have a bad impact on app development for our tablet. things such as a possible HBO GO or an official netflix release, i will be really pissed if these things now never happen because of this. eff apple and the deathstar they try to rule the galaxy from.

Huh netflix and hbogo aren't even available outside the US.

cowhow

Mar 1, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
This is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard. Beginning in the late 90's when Microsoft pulled Apple from the brink of bankruptcy I became a fanboy of Apple's. Root for the underdog, pull for the little guy, that was my motive. Millions of others shared the idea until now take a look...Apple has become a far greater menace than Microsoft ever thought about being. Microsoft was too unfocused to be such a tyrant. Apple not only has the focus and drive, they also have the money to finance it. I hope Samsung sticks to their guns. Apple needs to have a good helping of humble pie else we'll all become victims of their bullying and manipulation.

The GT Tab no more infringes on Apple than any other tablet currently on the market. They just happen to be the most viable threat and therefore, most logical target. I have to echo the fears others have expressed on this thread about future software development if the injunctions not only stand, but expand to other countries. If the market is severely limited developers will direct their resources elsewhere.

For all the *****ing Apple has done about Microsoft over the years, they need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

afadzil21

Mar 19, 2007
Google and Sammy should get together and really get Apple on this one. All the Android manufacturers should be on board. Samsung, Sony and LG have a massive grip on consumer electronics. Make devices completely incompatible with Apple products. Make it work with everyone else except Apple. I'm still waiting for the GTab in my country, launch has been delayed to 20th Aug (rumor) and I do hope it has nothing to do with Apple. The others have to think really hard. MS should make WP7 play nice with Androids and RIM's is already on its way there. Cross-platform app compatibility on QNX, WP7 and Android will eat away Apple's pie. Unified SDK which allows full cross-platform development for these OS will lure away the Apple devs due to the wide market available. It's really time the players realised Apple's really scared of losing the market resorting to stupid patents that stifle innovation and competition. Time to strangle Apple and teach them a lesson that their money can't buy everything. iOS5 is bleeding rip-off of Android and its tech. But since Android is Open Source, we really can't do anything. Google should just patent a few key elements of Android and hold them. Then sue Apple when iOS5 is launched. Hit back at them. I for one have had enough of this fruit company's antics.

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
I think the writing is on the wall, and in spite of Google assurances that they'll help their OEMs with these lawsuits, their silence thus far has been telling. I've never gotten so invested in any company that the loss of Android would kill me, but unless something happens soon to turn the tide against Apple, I think Android's days are numbered. Today it's Samsung, tomorrow it'll be HTC. They'll fall, one by one; and where's Google? I'm at least glad that Microsoft and HP are stepping up their games, so we have some decent alternatives to turn to. One thing is certain though: no Apple products in my house.

Danstek

Jul 20, 2011
Apple's claims against the Galaxy Tab is the biggest BS I've ever heard. The only thing that even remotely looks similar to an iPad is the thickness, which the Galaxy Tab 10.1 beats out the iPad 2. God forbid Samsung be allowed to make a thinner tablet. I can already see Apple sue Acer's unltrabooks and say that they copied the MacBook Air.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
I think it's all about the aluminium bezel surround, looks-wise. Thanks to that shiny edging, with the screen off sitting on a table they do look similar, as long as they're not sitting close to each other. The little depression and white paint on the iPad2's home button doesn't instantly catch the eye.

Best (or at least cheapest) thing Samsung could do is tool up future production runs to coat the bezel surround in black, like they did with the Fascinate and T959D. The "shadow chrome" they used on the SGS and SGS2 is still too shiny.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe Apple is worried about a better product...

Navigon 7200T (2008):
    navigon_7200t_3d.jpg

Yeah - sure.

CDE:
    ScreenShot.jpg

Hmmm...

Here's something that should make the German judge look stupid and ifanboys to think twice before saying anything about apple coming up with original design.

engadget.com/2006/03/09/samsung-digital-picture-frame-stores-pics-movies-music/

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    disgraceful

Reading the injunction it has nothing to do with the software ... it is all about the design of the hardware - which I think looks pretty different - or at least as different as any flat screen could look.

On the same principle all TV manufacturers could sue each other - as let's be honest - LCD TVs all look the same ...

Clearly Apple must be nervous about what is a good competitor to their nanny tab