[GUIDE] Recover your IMEI in 9 steps.

Search This thread

Adithya88

Mar 22, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 7T Pro
imei

Dude im sorrie to sy this. but u hav been cheated .. i got it done for 150 dhs(probabli 2000 rs) . i tried rooting through 1 clik root apps . which is risk free . but dint work because my phone was secure so i decided to just giv it for repair .. my advice dont go to oficial samsung service . they asked me 800 dhs !!!!!

i know i m cheated. but i didn't had any other way to recover my imei No.
can u tell me how did u repaired ur imei without replacing ur motherboard....

Citadel69

Jan 24, 2012
restored lost imei but still no 4G

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently lost my imei (went to zero), I re-injected it using the PeoplesArmy method, but it didn't restore my 4G. So the imei is on my phone but my data service is stilled screwed up as I"m only on EDGE. I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this. I went through the steps layed out by the Peoples Army but it didn't work. Thanks in advance for any help.

Walentyn15

Jun 2, 2012
Vilnius
Does this guide works only with SGSIl?
Sorry if same question was already asked, I'm lazy to search it on 33 pages :)

Last edited:

rythu_u

Feb 12, 2013
Dubai .UAE
i know i m cheated. but i didn't had any other way to recover my imei No.
can u tell me how did u repaired ur imei without replacing ur motherboard....

yea i guess they rooted my phone and used certain commands to fix my efs folder .. if you loose your imei no. its because of corruption in efs folder . you can only acess it if you have root acess in your phone ... hope you can understand what im saying :D

evolution_x

May 22, 2010
www.usro.net
The EFS Clear option from ODIN isn't the same thing as erasing the EFS manually ?

I have not made a backup and my IMEI and Baseband is unknown after flashing a ROM on Samsung i9070, is this tutorial valid for I9070 ?

Last edited:

opticon107

Apr 3, 2012
Hello! I need help so bad :(, my phone doesn't recognize any SIM Card and my IMEI is empty.

I followed this guide with no success. What am I doing wrong?
I have a lot of EFS backups, so I don't know what's the problem. I even tried to copy my EFS backup content to the root EFS manually, but it didn't work. I even used the HC-kTool to make a restore... but everything seems useless. Is there something I am missing here?

I found this alternative http://www.unlocksamsungonline.nl/index.php?page=download but I don't know if this works, what do you guys think?

I'm sorry for my bad english and thank you so much in advanced!!!
Have a nice day.

lawong

Sep 23, 2010
Huawei P40 Pro
Redmi Note 10 Pro
i've tried every method available on xda including this one but my phone still same as 'unknown imei n baseband'
except for qpts tools that cant get it to work , i mean it still wont detect my phone..

Any other idea?

ddaazzzzaa

Feb 2, 2013
brisbane
i have imei showing null( most the time) imei-sv showing unknown( most the time) in settings. have been searching high and low for a fix and tried everything ive com across. efs repair ro gs2 repair. the manual 9 steps in this thread samsung tool installing other roms modems etc etc to name a few with out a fix yet............. there has been odd occasions that the phone displays the generic imei and then shows baseband etc etc as normal on phone, but unable to make network connection.....allthough there have been 2 very odd occasions i have had network connections. once able to make a call. and another recived a text that was sent days before to me.. ive noticed over about a hour the phone was showing signal bars on off on off on off etc about 5 seconds on average for a hour or so yesterday.... im thinking its more a hardware problem with the baseband chip. is there any way to check/test if this chip is operating properly or not?

ghnogueira

Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys. I had my phone working properly this morning, and then all of a sudden I got the generic IMEI (0049 etc). No apparent reason at all. I tried restarting my phone several times but nothing helped.

First I tried doing the 9 steps described on this thread, since I had a backup of the original EFS folder on my sdcard (the files were dated from 27/07/2011, which is exactly when I got my SGSII), but after step 9 and rebooting the phone I got the welcome to android screens as if I was booting the phone for the first time, but still had the generic IMEI.

Maybe worth mentioning as some others I didn't have the ".nv_data.bin" file, only the ".nv_data.bak" file both on my original efs folder and the backed up one.

After that, I tried using Galaxy SII Repair app but it didn't change anything either.

Then I found the tutorial on this post (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39100837#post39100837), which I tried doing both from terminal app available on Market and from the adb on my PC. Through terminal I couldn't do all the steps, but from my PC I could (I had to force a recovery reboot to do some steps, though). I finished doing all the steps, but even like that nothing changed.

My current status is I have the generic IMEI (0049...), I can access the 3G mobile network, but status shows as "emergency calls only" and when I try to call some number a message on the screen appears saying I'm not registered on the network.

I have gone through all possibilities I have read and none made my IMEI return to its original state :rolleyes:

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

ghnogueira

Jul 8, 2011
I think I'm lost :(

I tried using Ktool to recover my IMEI using an .img that was created last year when I began changing ROMs and stuff, so it's obvious it was working back then. The phone even popped up with the pattern lockscreen I wasn't using recently, but with the code that I used back then... but no IMEI change, still the generic one =/

Last edited:

dollardollar

Apr 4, 2007
Nothing Phone 1
One big problem, did the same as said in OP.
Deleted the EFS folder after backing it up through Root Explorer, but as soon as i press delete my phone restarted and then it is struck at boot screen for ever.
Tried reinstalling the roms from recovery mode, but never went through the boot screen.

I think i lost my EFS folder and phone can get that to start again

Any help guys, don't understand what to do next.

ghnogueira

Jul 8, 2011
One big problem, did the same as said in OP.
Deleted the EFS folder after backing it up through Root Explorer, but as soon as i press delete my phone restarted and then it is struck at boot screen for ever.
Tried reinstalling the roms from recovery mode, but never went through the boot screen.

I think i lost my EFS folder and phone can get that to start again

Any help guys, don't understand what to do next.
Very weird mate, I deleted my EFS folder many many times and it always got recreated at boot, so it was never a problem.

dollardollar

Apr 4, 2007
Nothing Phone 1
Well, I tried every single way possible in the world I could without having professional tools, but couldn't change it...

Went to this polish guy, paid him the 10 euro and in less than 5 minutes I had my phone working again.

http://forum.samdroid.net/f70/repair-imei-s2-5729/

Wasn't my first choice, really, but I got too tired after trying unsuccessfully for 3 days...

I too am tired after 2 horrible days and most of it, my phone doesn't even start.
Planning to go Samsung guys today, hope it will be fixed.

After this is rectified, I'm never gonna touch the phone again to update or do any other stuff. Is my wife's phone and she's now cursing me like anything for past 2 days.
I have i777 and updating ROMs never had a issue like this.

J

JudasLucifer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you did not make any backup of your EFS folder, and your IMEI is messed up, this could be your solution to recover your lost IMEI. NOTE THAT AT LEAST YOU MUST HAVE THE SHIPPED ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER ON YOUR PHONE ( even if you didn't make a backup of it yet and even it's messed up ) FOR THIS METHOD TO WORK

My history with my IMEI:

I flashed my phone with some ROMs, and I didn't backup my EFS folder before, then My SGS2 IMEI was changed to 004999010640000, and we know this is the fake IMEI that is assigned to the phone if the nv_data.bin file is messed up.
    so I researched. searched all the forums and didn't find anything that could cure my phone's IMEI and set it to the original IMEI number. so I experimented and after some hours, I fixed my IMEI.
    one thing that led me to the conclusion that " .nv_data " file is the thing that I need to fix the IMEI is that they share a very look alike name, and they have the same 2MB size.

PS: I restored my phone's firmware to it's original PDA, Phone and CSC, rooted it with CF-Root, and then done this procedures below

here is what I have done:

you must have:
    -Root
    -Root explorer for copying files to and from EFS folder
    -Android SDK for the ADB tools or Terminal in your phone.

It is interesting to know that the IMEI is stored in ".nv_data" file in ORIGINAL SHIPPED EFS folder too, so you just have to do these:

1) make a copy of your EFS folder to your sdcard using root explorer and then make a backup of the folder to your computer [ to have another copy if you had to format sd card sometime ]

2) delete the EFS folder (BE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED IT UP IN A SAFE PLACE AS SAID IN STEP 1) from the root of your phone using root explorer.

3) reset the phone, after that, go to the root, and you can see that the EFS folder is still there, don't make any mistake, this EFS folder is new and generated by the android OS.

4) go to EFS folder using root explorer, and delete "nv_data.bin", "nv_data.bin.md5".

5) go to your backed up EFS folder on your sdcard, copy the "imei" folder to the EFS folder at the root of your phone, then again go to the backed up EFS folder at yout sdcard and copy the " .nv_data " file to your EFS folder at the root of your phone using root explorer, NOTE: the dot in first of nv_data is not a mistake, copy the ".nv_data" file.

6) make another copy of the ".nv_data" file in EFS folder in your phone, so you would have 2 copies of ".nv_data" in EFS folder

7) rename one of ".nv_data" files to "nv_data.bin" and another one to "nv_data.bin.bak"

8) at your PC open CMD at the ADB tool path, or run Terminal at your phone enter these commands:

adb shell ( use this command of you use ADB, if you're using terminal, skip this line )
    su ( ALLOW THE MESSAGE CAME AT YOUR PHONE's DISPLAY BY SUPERUSER PROGRAM )
    chown 1001:radio /efs/nv_data.bin

9) reset your phone.... after that you have your original IMEI. you can check your IMEI by dialing *#06#.

and DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.
    and PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL EFS FOLDER BEFORE DELETING IT. IT HAS IMPORTANT FILES IN IT.
    and sorry for bad English.
    The entire process has been coded into an apk avaible on the market by Helroz
    It's called SGSII_repair
    It's just saved my phone.
    hello,
    Unfortunately I have lost my imei. Now I would like to save my S2 with the above instructions. but in step 4 I'm getting nowhere. root explorer can not delete the data set and no rw. In the the root folder it is possible to mount zu rw.

what can that be?
    sorry for my english

Hey mate,

I just yesterday had the exact same problem - fortunately, I was able to fix it.

Now, do you have any .bak files in your directory? The file that saved me was the .nvdata.bin.bak - so the systemmade backup of the original nvdata.

As I could NOT delete the .bin and NEITHER get the rw rights (via rootexplorer, adb, anything), I went to formatting the whole efs part with kTool
    (market.android.com/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool - can't link it because of restrictions of the board). The option for efs format is under the advanced options tab. Before you do that - make sure you get backups of your current efs folder on sdcard AND pc! Without having any .bak files - don't go this way, as things are different than for me, then!

After I formatted the efs (whose filesystem was corrupt I wager) and rebooted, I got the generic efs and the 0049 IMEI. Now at that stage I was able to delete everything and change rights of everything via rootexplorer, so this is when you should start to follow the instructions in the OP again. Totally saved me - and I never had a backup of my efs before I encountered the problem.

Hope that helps, mate!
    I do not have the .nv_data file. onle *.bin or *.bak. Any suggestions or do I have to stick with the generic 00... IMEI? The whole procedure did not word for me, but thanks anyway.

By the way I think you do not need adb for that. You can execute the chmod command in a Terminal editor on the phone.

yes you can use terminal in your phone, but as for information for the other users, you don't need to enter " adb shell " command in step 8, because you are already connected to the phone's kernel.

I think you deleted your original EFS folder that came preinstalled with your phone, because I had " .nv_data " file.

anyway, use " nv_data.bin.bak " instead of " .nv_data " and see what happens.

thanks for the update. ;)

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Have copied the efs folder onto my PC.

At least i now know i have a backup, i can mess about with permissions there and then if it ever comes down to it!

thank you for your reply. but please don't play with EFS folder too much. the Android OS can't recover your IMEI if you lost it completely. I've been lucky with this method to restore my IMEI.

thanks.
    For the purpose of making a backup of the EFS folder, how about simply copying the whole folder into a safe place?

There is an app called Nitrality (if my spelling is not wrong) which one of its various functions is to backup and restore the EFS folder. I've made a backup using this method and it seems that what the app actually did was simply to copy the whole folder into a different directory. If it's simple like that, it seems that Root Explorer or similar app would be enough for that purpose.

Nevertheless, as there are numerous guides on this topic, all of which providing more complex methods, either using ADB or Terminal Emulator (i've made a backup using it as well, just in case, which resulted in the EFS being saved as tarball file), I have some doubts wheter simply copying the whole folder would be enough for a eventual restoration. Would it?

Just copying your EFS folder to a safe place is enough, using any method, but copying EFS folder messes up wih its permissions, so if you want to restore your nv_data.bin file, you must set the owner of the nv_data.bin using "chown" command in ADB like described in my post.
    After all, I hope this method works for everyone, worked for me though.