[Q] S5, Updating to 4.4.3 when rooted?

Search This thread

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find the answer. This is my first smart phone tbh so rooting is fairly new to me. BEFORE I rooted my phone (using CF-Auto-Root), the phone had updated to Android 4.4.3. After rooting it had returned to 4.4.2, I'm assuming this is because the device got flashed by CF-Auto-Root to firmware version 4.4.2 but modified to include SuperSU. I don't really care that it got flashed to a lower version, however I do want to know how to update it. Do I simply have to wait until ChainFire releases a rom (it is a rom right?) that's 4.4.3? Or is there some other method to update the firmware. If I do have to wait, how do I know when there is a new version to flash with?

Goldie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2010
You had 4.4.3? There is no samsung 4.4.3 available yet as far as i know...from samsung or leaked. Unless I missed it which I pretty sure I havent

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
You had 4.4.3? There is no samsung 4.4.3 available yet as far as i know...from samsung or leaked. Unless I missed it which I pretty sure I havent

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes, my phone auto downloaded it about a week or two before I rooted, and I rooted 12 days ago. I have a G900I, perhaps Oceania got the update early? Is it not released?

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Yes, my phone auto downloaded it about a week or two before I rooted, and I rooted 12 days ago. I have a G900I, perhaps Oceania got the update early? Is it not released?

I think you might have just accidentally misread it. 4.4.3 was never pushed out yet. And chain fire's root tool wouldn't have downgraded anything. All it does is temporarily flash a modified recovery, root the phone, delete the recovery, then reboot into the OS again. Nowhere in that process does it upgrade/downgrade the software or firmware. Oh, and it's not a ROM, it's just a ODIN file that contains a recovery and root zip) :good:

Reactions: Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
I think you might have just accidentally misread it. 4.4.3 was never pushed out yet. And chain fire's root tool wouldn't have downgraded anything. All it does is temporarily flash a modified recovery, root the phone, delete the recovery, then reboot into the OS again. Nowhere in that process does it upgrade/downgrade the software or firmware. Oh, and it's not a ROM, it's just a ODIN file that contains a recovery and root zip) :good:

I did not misread it, it said it was downloading a software update, my phone restarted (I think), then under the About Device section the "Android version" said 4.4.3. I have absolutely 0 doubt about it, I remember checking (for whatever reason) after rooting and noticed it had returned to 4.4.2. I don't know what happened or what it was, but it said I had 4.4.3.

EDIT: Thanks for explaining what CF does, that's quite clever. Also does make it "downgrading" less likely. But I'm positive it did, or my device lied to me about updating.

Last edited:
Reactions: aooga

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I did not misread it, it said it was downloading a software update, my phone restarted (I think), then under the About Device section the "Android version" said 4.4.3. I have absolutely 0 doubt about it, I remember checking (for whatever reason) after rooting and noticed it had returned to 4.4.2. I don't know what happened or what it was, but it said I had 4.4.3.

EDIT: Thanks for explaining what CF does, that's quite clever. Also does make it "downgrading" less likely. But I'm positive it did, or my device lied to me about updating.

That's really strange. Can you upload a picture of your "about device" screen? A lot of the time android gets updates, but it never actually changes the android version. But the screenshot would be nice to see what else changed.

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
That's really strange. Can you upload a picture of your "about device" screen? A lot of the time android gets updates, but it never actually changes the android version. But the screenshot would be nice to see what else changed.

Here are the screenshots, obviously it doesn't say 4.4.3, I wish I could go back and take a screenshot of that (though maybe I can if I unroot? since software update gets denied now for modifying the phone).

i.imgur ( dot ) com/mZkjend ( dot ) png
i.imgur ( dot ) com/esHXhKG ( dot ) png

I wanted to link them properly, but apparently I can't do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: aooga

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Here are the screenshots, obviously it doesn't say 4.4.3, I wish I could go back and take a screenshot of that (though maybe I can if I unroot? since software update gets denied now for modifying the phone).

It's weird that your baseband and your software versions don't match. A lot of things don't add up here, but I'm not doubting you got 4.4.3. It happens sometimes when manufacturers try to test an update, and you must have checked for updates at the exact same time.

If you go to a random samsung app, like the Phone app, and go to "App Info", what does it say as the version? It would be "4.4.2-G900TUVU1ANE6" for me.

These are the version numbers for 4.4.3: Look at the G900H since it's the same as your phone.

Galaxy-S5-and-Galaxy-S4-Android-4.4.3-600x340.png

Last edited:

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
It's weird that your baseband and your software versions don't match. A lot of things don't add up here, but I'm not doubting you got 4.4.3. It happens sometimes when manufacturers try to test an update, and you must have checked for updates at the exact same time.

If you go to a random samsung app, like the Phone app, and go to "App Info", what does it say as the version? It would be "4.4.2-G900TUVU1ANE6" for me.

These are the version numbers for 4.4.3: Look at the G900H since it's the same as your phone.

I'm not quite sure where to find App Info? By the phone app do you mean Phone, green icon, defaults to bottom left button? I tried pressing the menu in there etc, but couldn't find an About anywhere. Also I've deleted a few of the default Samsung apps.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I'm not quite sure where to find App Info? By the phone app do you mean Phone, green icon, defaults to bottom left button? I tried pressing the menu in there etc, but couldn't find an About anywhere. Also I've deleted a few of the default Samsung apps.

Go into the app drawer, hold the Phone icon, then drag it over to the top where it says "App Info".

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California

See this is the weird part. There was no way the root file would have downgraded you to this. How long did it take to flash cf auto root? Probably 15 seconds. For the phone to downgrade every app and the whole system partition would take a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Meh, who knows. :silly:

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
See this is the weird part. There was no way the root file would have downgraded you to this. How long did it take to flash cf auto root? Probably 15 seconds. For the phone to downgrade every app and the whole system partition would take a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Meh, who knows. :silly:

Yeah I dunno, it was pretty quick. Regardless of how it downgraded it. How do I upgrade it later? I get it's not readily available at the moment, but since the software update button no longer works how will I do it later? Is it as simple as unrooting, then updating, then rerooting? If so...would it just downgrade it again "some how".

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Yeah I dunno, it was pretty quick. Regardless of how it downgraded it. How do I upgrade it later? I get it's not readily available at the moment, but since the software update button no longer works how will I do it later? Is it as simple as unrooting, then updating, then rerooting? If so...would it just downgrade it again "some how".

Once you root, you can't get OTA's anymore. You would have to use ODIN to flash the newest software which would wipe all your data. The other option is to just flash a stock rom in a custom recovery since you're rooted anyway.

Ghosthree3

Jun 15, 2014
Once you root, you can't get OTA's anymore. You would have to use ODIN to flash the newest software which would wipe all your data. The other option is to just flash a stock rom in a custom recovery since you're rooted anyway.

....Right. So, I assume there will be some kind of instructions for this when 4.4.3 is officially released? I'd look into how to do what you say now except there would be no point.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
....Right. So, I assume there will be some kind of instructions for this when 4.4.3 is officially released? I'd look into how to do what you say now except there would be no point.

1. Follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697762
2. Find a rom in the "development" section that says it's a stock rom. It should say wether or not it's an ODIN or zip file. (example, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2770616)
3. Just flash that without wiping and if there is a corresponding firmware file (usually also posted in the same thread), flash that with ODIN.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

go into the app drawer, hold the phone icon, then drag it over to the top where it says "app info".

4.4.2-g900iztu1ane3