Google Talk and Google Sync Settings

Search This thread

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
I originally posted this in another thread, but in case anyone else is interested, I got the ICS google talk installed on the kindle fire HD. I pulled 4.0.3 GoogleServicesFramework and talk from my Evo 3D and it installed on my rooted fire HD without a hitch. Gtalk works except a few minor things. Apparently the front camera is not supported, so anyone trying to contact you via camera or you trying to contact via camera will cause it to force close. Also voice chat is not functional and will force close. I've had the whole camera app crash out but a reboot brought it back. Regular text chat works with no problems.

My biggest issue is that Gtalk will seem to disconnect when the device is on sleep or out of the app for a period of time. I noticed that when I originally installed gingerbread talk on the kindle fire 1st gen, it had the same issue. I don't know if anyone has input on this on how to fix this issue, I haven't had much luck searching.

I noticed that my gmail app will not actively sync with my account (push mail) and am not sure if this is related to Gtalk losing connection. Everything else works fine, play store, maps, youtubeHD.

I threw in 4.0.3 GoogleLoginService for a complete set and have it installed myself.

I've had no problems but just a friendly reminder, everything done and installed is at your own risk.

If you install GoogleServicesFramework.apk, Talk.apk without a fully functional play store yet and can't log in, you will need to install the play store to sync your account first. Instructions can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410 Follow the instructions and download the provided apk's on the link page. AFTER google play is up and running, you can update to 4.0.3 Google services and install ICS talk.

Attachments

• GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    2.8 MB · Views: 48,235
  • Talk.apk
    2.1 MB · Views: 16,024
  • GoogleLoginService.apk
    4 MB · Views: 45,038
Last edited:

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
I was able to figure out my gmail sync/push problem. It's locked out by the amazon ecosystem but if you use AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, it can be unlocked and the gmail option in settings will allow you to use the stock android sync settings. I believe this is the gingerbread version but has been running on my ICS GoogleFramework. Gmail still has a slight delay over the stock fire HD email app but now if you want gmail fully functional, it works. I've had the notification bar temporarily disappear but appears to be due to a bug in Gmail app. I saw others mention something like this happening in another thread.

Downloaded Sync Settings from the play store for quick access, it allows you to choose between stock amazon settings and the android settings. This only works once you've installed AccountAndSyncSettings.apk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.francesandmarky.android.syncsettings&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mcmFuY2VzYW5kbWFya3kuYW5kcm9pZC5zeW5jc2V0dGluZ3MiXQ..

I have yet to figure out the gtalk disconnection issue. Any feedback will still be appreciated.

In the last picture, you can just use the sync settings app from the play store to access and manage your accounts. Mine goes in order of Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Dropbox, Exchange and Gmail. Email addresses blocked out for privacy.

**** In order to fully activate google sync for the very first time, you need to turn on the sync settings through gmail first. Then you can use the sync settings shortcut app to get to the rest of your sync and manage from there. Again, this was done on a rooted 7.1.5 device with google play account active and done at your own risk.

imag1971.jpg
imag1972.jpg
imag1973d.jpg

imag1974.jpg
imag1962.jpg

Attachments

• AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    228.2 KB · Views: 5,733
Last edited:

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
After working on this issue all day and reading various information, I may have found a workaround to keep Gtalk signed in while the device is asleep.

After testing, I had found that Gtalk would still receive messages on a few minutes delay with the screen off. The message will be there but when turning on the screen and going to Gtalk, the interface would still display as "signed off" yet to others, I would be seen as "idle" and I would still have to log back in.

There was a missing link somewhere but I couldn't pin point it. Hoping eventually the devs will look into this issue and fix everything, including camera and mic support.

Currently, the work-around I figured out was to install Google+ app and sync my account. The app will keep the link open and no more unwanted log outs. I can't say how this will affect battery life at this time but Google+ is a widely used android app.

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
What seemed to work yesterday with my gtalk staying active decided to quit on me today, so back to square one. Still looking for any input on this matter.

Edit: right now this appears to be a slight bug in the gtalk program. The user is still signed in and shown as signed in to others on the gtalk list but the app on the kindle will need to re-login.

Last edited:

JAG50

Apr 8, 2011
Thank you so much for your posting. It was full of tips and information. I was able to install the Google sync app and now my Google Voice application works. Before, it wouldn't even log be in. Now I can text from my Kindle HD. Thanks to you. You rock man!.

Jeff

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
Thanks for your sharing.
I did as your instruction to install AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, then go to gmail to try to open a sync setting. But system does not let me choose a sync setting app, so I could not set gmail sync on anyway.
Any idea about this?

Except gmail syc problem, everything like gmaps, talk, play store, youtube works well.

I was able to figure out my gmail sync/push problem. It's locked out by the amazon ecosystem but if you use AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, it can be unlocked and the gmail option in settings will allow you to use the stock android sync settings. I believe this is the gingerbread version but has been running on my ICS GoogleFramework. Gmail still has a slight delay over the stock fire HD email app but now if you want gmail fully functional, it works. I've had the notification bar temporarily disappear but appears to be due to a bug in Gmail app. I saw others mention something like this happening in another thread.

Downloaded Sync Settings from the play store for quick access, it allows you to choose between stock amazon settings and the android settings. This only works once you've installed AccountAndSyncSettings.apk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.francesandmarky.android.syncsettings&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mcmFuY2VzYW5kbWFya3kuYW5kcm9pZC5zeW5jc2V0dGluZ3MiXQ..

I have yet to figure out the gtalk disconnection issue. Any feedback will still be appreciated.

In the last picture, you can just use the sync settings app from the play store to access and manage your accounts. Mine goes in order of Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Dropbox, Exchange and Gmail. Email addresses blocked out for privacy.

**** In order to fully activate google sync for the very first time, you need to turn on the sync settings through gmail first. Then you can use the sync settings shortcut app to get to the rest of your sync and manage from there. Again, this was done on a rooted 7.1.5 device with google play account active and done at your own risk.

imag1971.jpg
imag1972.jpg
imag1973d.jpg

imag1974.jpg
imag1962.jpg

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Thanks for your sharing.
I did as your instruction to install AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, then go to gmail to try to open a sync setting. But system does not let me choose a sync setting app, so I could not set gmail sync on anyway.
Any idea about this?

Except gmail syc problem, everything like gmaps, talk, play store, youtube works well.

You need to go into gmail and enter the gmail settings. From there you can turn on sync.

Click on your email address there and the sync option to turn on will be in there.

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
I tried that way, but in my case not like the way in your picture, your system prompts an option so you can choose a sync setting app to change. When I touch my email address there, screen blinks then go back to gmail settings. Mine is 7.2.1.

You need to go into gmail and enter the gmail settings. From there you can turn on sync.

Click on your email address there and the sync option to turn on will be in there.

Last edited:

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Were you able to install it? This was done prior to the patch and I don't have this device anymore. You can try moving the apk to system/app, permissions rw-r-r and try installing it there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
I was able to install it from google store and did try to move app to /system/app. Still not work. I even downloaded and tried to install 5 different accountsyncsettings.apk from somewhere else but none works.

I even use nookcolortool from which I should be able to open account sync setting but failed.

I would have to give up.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
From what I've been reading, amazon has been tightening things up with the patches. Without having the device to test myself, I can't say any longer if this will still install or if it's just your device. Sorry.

storino03

Jun 23, 2007
I can't get Google Voice to sign in to my gmail account. The latest update requires to to re-sign in and it just keeps staying on the "signing on" part. Any advice?

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
maybe you can try copy voice.apk to system/app , then install it from there.

From my trials these days, gapps always get some troubles. So far in my device, I did root, then copy 6apps including superuser.apk, googleframework.apk, talk.apk, vending.apk, networklocation.apk, googleloginservice.apk to system/app, and after that I do a factory reset to let system reinitiate. My strategy is different from all current discussion in the forum. This way you have all basic apps and you can always do factory reset in future without redo root.
Based on this basic system, I downloaded from other internet sources and installed gmaps, play store, gmail, voice in my fire hd. So far all of them work well, except gmail can not sync automatically. Also no way to put in contacts and calendar.

I now am looking forward to safestrap.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

somdave2005

Nov 11, 2007
Word of warning: I installed this accountandsyncsettings.apk and the sync settings from these directions. But my Kindle Books were no longer sync and most of my books didn't show up on the Kindle HD anymore. I ended up doing a factory restore.

imag1971.jpg
imag1972.jpg
imag1973d.jpg

imag1974.jpg
imag1962.jpg

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
Are you using the correct talk version with your Google services? The ones I posted is ICS, there are older services and talk files floating around that may cause incompatibility.

johnnysnavely

Jul 22, 2011
Lots of problems

I am hoping someone can help! I have a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. It's rooted, the Play Store is installed and working OK, Maps works OK, and Google Voice works OK.

BUT - I can't get GMail to work. It says "Gmail Has Stopped". (Not, "Unfortunately, GMail has stopped.")

And, I cannot get the Sync Settings App that you mention to work either. Like GMail, it opens for a split second, then closes.

NEVER MIND...found the correct one. that fixed it

Are you using the correct talk version with your Google services? The ones I posted is ICS, there are older services and talk files floating around that may cause incompatibility.

Last edited:

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
My gmail can not sync as well.
The way I am using is to utilize Amazon email app. But when you go through setting, choose exchange rather than gmail. If you have iphone or ipad, that is the way apple has to do for gmail. I got gmail and contact sync working well with no problem.

I am hoping someone can help! I have a 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. It's rooted, the Play Store is installed and working OK, Maps works OK, and Google Voice works OK.

BUT - I can't get GMail to work. It says "Gmail Has Stopped". (Not, "Unfortunately, GMail has stopped.")

And, I cannot get the Sync Settings App that you mention to work either. Like GMail, it opens for a split second, then closes.

NEVER MIND...found the correct one. that fixed it

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Trahald

Feb 25, 2012
I have a problem with Gmail and Talk. I have two accounts on Play Store. One address with gmail.com extension and other one has a different extension but it is configured on Google Apps services so it is based to Gmail. When I add this address to Gmail, Gmail stops working. If I only add to @gmail.com address Gmail app works. Is there any solution for that?

P.S. On my Galaxy SII, my both address works without any problem with any Google apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

imag1971.jpg
    imag1972.jpg
    imag1973d.jpg

imag1974.jpg
    imag1962.jpg
    I originally posted this in another thread, but in case anyone else is interested, I got the ICS google talk installed on the kindle fire HD. I pulled 4.0.3 GoogleServicesFramework and talk from my Evo 3D and it installed on my rooted fire HD without a hitch. Gtalk works except a few minor things. Apparently the front camera is not supported, so anyone trying to contact you via camera or you trying to contact via camera will cause it to force close. Also voice chat is not functional and will force close. I've had the whole camera app crash out but a reboot brought it back. Regular text chat works with no problems.

My biggest issue is that Gtalk will seem to disconnect when the device is on sleep or out of the app for a period of time. I noticed that when I originally installed gingerbread talk on the kindle fire 1st gen, it had the same issue. I don't know if anyone has input on this on how to fix this issue, I haven't had much luck searching.

I noticed that my gmail app will not actively sync with my account (push mail) and am not sure if this is related to Gtalk losing connection. Everything else works fine, play store, maps, youtubeHD.

I threw in 4.0.3 GoogleLoginService for a complete set and have it installed myself.

I've had no problems but just a friendly reminder, everything done and installed is at your own risk.

If you install GoogleServicesFramework.apk, Talk.apk without a fully functional play store yet and can't log in, you will need to install the play store to sync your account first. Instructions can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410 Follow the instructions and download the provided apk's on the link page. AFTER google play is up and running, you can update to 4.0.3 Google services and install ICS talk.