[HOW TO][Unlocked Bootloaders]Install Fastboots, CWM, Tips & Ticks, and More

Search This thread

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
Once it's unlocked it's unlocked man.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

miko85

Jun 26, 2009
got CWM working but im confused about the stock fastboot files posted in the op. i went to install the mexico retail after a factory reset via CWM installed fine but definatley is not the mexico retail rom, was i supposed to do the fastboot file procedure you listed in the op do get a clean system and go from there?

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
got CWM working but im confused about the stock fastboot files posted in the op. i went to install the mexico retail after a factory reset via CWM installed fine but definatley is not the mexico retail rom, was i supposed to do the fastboot file procedure you listed in the op do get a clean system and go from there?

The "fastboot erase cache" & "fastboot -w" wipe cache and factory reset you.

The command "fastboot erase system -w" will wipe your /system & /userdata. I'll update the OP & instructions with this command. Once you do this command, you have to either flash a system.img or a rom in recovery because you'll have no system to run.

Reactions: Markyzz

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
The tutorials here on AHD are like a fast car with no brakes!!! surprised there's not an AHD brick shelter....

If you follow the instructions as posted, you'll be just fine. Everything I've posted I've used and done. I think I missed "fastboot erase recovery" before the recovery flash, but I've forgot to use that command and it didn't hurt anything. CWM works just fine flashing over TWRP with out the erase command, but erasing is safer should be done.

If there's something you don't understand or don't know either ask or search. I'm watching the forums closely and am trying to provide a bit of tech support for unlocked bootloaders. Since a lot of us are past Moto users, unlocked bootloaders are uncharted territory. I've been trying to provide decent instructions that work for us and won't leave us screwed.

I gotta ask, has anyone had any luck in getting TWRP to work? Every one (newest two) I've tried has left me with a black screen. Luckily adb still works so its as simple as "adb reboot bootloader" "fastboot erase recovery" "fastboot flash recovery ~/cwm.img" -- I renamed the cwm image to cwm.img and placed it in my home directory to make it easier on me when I test twrp; could be lazier and type "~/cw*" :p

Also, we're on an unlocked bootloader, we can delete the bootloader and recovery and all's will happen is we'll boot directly into fastboot to flash a kernel and continue on to boot the system. Damn near impossible to brick if you only use the commands posted.

Last edited:

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
So with clock work I should be able to just install say cm 10.1 for the dev edition razr hd on here?

tvd0405

Oct 24, 2011
Install Stock Fastboots ICS
  1. Download the respective fastboot zip you want to use
  2. Extract the zip
  3. Open a terminal to the extracted zips directory
  4. Reboot into fastboot
  5. Type the following commands in this order
  6. fastboot flash boot boot.img
  7. fastboot flash devtree device_tree.bin
  8. fastboot erase system -w
  9. fastboot flash system system.img.ext4
  10. fastboot erase cache
  11. fastboot reboot
[/LIST]

"fastboot erase system -w" gave permission error. After flashing, I got boot loop so went back to recovery to reset to factory data in order to boot successfully. Thanks for these instructions. I am now back to ICS in order to use my lap dock :)

abemontalvo

Sep 8, 2012
Chattanooga
Now that the bootloader is unlocked, everyone is asking "WTF do I do now?". Well, here's a bit of help to get you started. I'm assuming you already have adb and fastboot setup and working -- if not, quit reading and get that taken care of. Also, I only run Linux...so I'll try to be transparent and only list the fastboot commands.

Don't use the stock\SDK fastboot binary for flashing /system.
An updated fastboot binary for Lin\Win\Mac can be found here on the Batakang FTP from our local, neighborhood Mattlgroff.

ROOT\ADMINISTRATOR INFO
On Linux, you might have to run as root in order to run some of the fastboot commands. If your system uses sudo for root commands, typing "sudo -i" will bring up an interactive sudo shell so you don't have to type sudo over and over again. If your system uses su for root, well, you already know the command.

On Windows, you might have to enable Administrator Privileges to be able to run some of the fastboot commands.

Install CWM Recovery by Epinter
  1. Read Epinter's RAZR HD CWM Thread
  2. Download the recovery image
  3. On stock rom, navigate to /system/etc and rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak
  4. Reboot into fastboot -- use "adb reboot bootloader" from Terminal\Command Prompt
  5. Wipe the existing recovery -- "fastboot erase recovery"
  6. Flash the recovery with "fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6028-xt925_20130219-epinter.img"
  7. That's it, CWM is installed.

Install Stock Fastboots JB
  2. Extract the zip
  4. Reboot into fastboot
  9. fastboot flash system system.img
  10. fastboot erase cache
  11. fastboot reboot

2. Extract the zip
  4. Reboot into fastboot
  10. fastboot erase cache
  11. fastboot reboot

Obtain root after installing a Stock Firmware
There are two choices for obtaining root after a stock flash. the closed source SuperSu by Chainfire & and the open source Superuser by Koush.
Download SuperSu zip from Chainfire (Closed Source)
Download Superuser from Koush (Open Source)
  1. Download the one of the root zips above.
  2. Reboot into CWM/TWRP -- adb reboot recovery
  3. Locate and flash the zip
  4. Reboot, that's it. Nice not having to run exploits\hacks\Linux just for root

Can you please tell me the correct command terminal order for Windows so I can flash clockworkmod on my Droid Razr HD Maxx?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs

gfmusik

Dec 14, 2009
already root, but i got the permission denied error, same error en windows xp and 7

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

C:\Documents and Settings\Goldo\Desktop\mx>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Documents and Settings\Goldo\Desktop\mx>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
Permission denied
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.109s

i got that

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
already root, but i got the permission denied error, same error en windows xp and 7

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

C:\Documents and Settings\Goldo\Desktop\mx>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Documents and Settings\Goldo\Desktop\mx>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
Permission denied
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.109s

i got that

I did some searching, and if you used the fastboot linked in the OP(a special one for Motorola phones), are root\admin, Windows doesn't have driver issues, and your bootloader is unlocked, it should work.

The only thing extra I found was to place the fastboot executable and the recovery image in the same folder, not sure why, but it was recommended in a few places. There's really not much more I can do to help. Try searching "fastboot erase recovery remote failure" on XDA and Google, maybe you'll see something I didn't.

Reactions: gfmusik

gfmusik

Dec 14, 2009
Ok, the problem persist when i try to erase something, but i flash the epinters file and says ok And i go to install fastboot files and i got the same access denied when i try to erase system, i will try in linux to see if i got the same freakin error

EcHoFiiVe

Jan 29, 2012
Mundelein. IL
I kept getting the same error, but I just went ahead and flashed CWM and everything went fine.

miko85

Jun 26, 2009
Got the same permission denied but flashed system anyway and all is well running the cwm and mexico retail

gfmusik

Dec 14, 2009
I got it now, i put all the files in the same folder and works fine:D

Sent from my Golden'd Atrix HD MAXX using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that the bootloader is unlocked, everyone is asking "WTF do I do now?". Well, here's a bit of help to get you started. I'm assuming you already have adb and fastboot setup and working -- if not, quit reading and get that taken care of. Also, I only run Linux...so I'll try to be transparent and only list the fastboot commands.

I assume that you're not a complete moron and can Google what you don't understand.

Don't use the stock\SDK fastboot binary for flashing /system.
    An updated fastboot binary for Lin\Win\Mac can be found here on the Batakang FTP from our local, neighborhood Mattlgroff.
    Linux -- Rename the file to moto-fastboot and add it to a directory in your $PATH -- Ubuntu\Debian users can just add it to ~/bin (enabled by default)
    Windows -- Rename the file to moto-fastboot and put it somewhere handy...that's on you to decide.

ROOT\ADMINISTRATOR INFO
    On Linux, you might have to run as root in order to run some of the fastboot commands. If your system uses sudo for root commands, typing "sudo -i" will bring up an interactive sudo shell so you don't have to type sudo over and over again. If your system uses su for root, well, you already know the command.

On Windows, you have to enable Administrator Privileges to be able to run some of the fastboot commands.

Linux Terminal Hints
    ~/ means your home directory -- example -- "gedit ~/Documents/file.txt" would open file.txt in gedit easier than /home/yourusername/Documents/file.txt

You can add a * to file names and directories to not type as much -- example -- "gedit ~/Doc*/file.txt" is the same as the command above, only shortened. If two files have similar names, like Documents and Downloads, then you have to type the name up until the firs different character then add *.

Use the command "../" to go up\back one directory. The command is stackable so "../../" would go back 2 directories and so forth and so on.

Use "cd" to change directories. Is an example really needed for this...

Proper Apps to Use
    For zip file editing, use 7-zip on Windows and Archive Manager (file-roller) on Linux
    For editing text files on Windows use Notepad++ or any text editor that has unix line breaks -- do not use default Notepad or Wordpad -- you've been warned. Use what ever you prefer on Linux. I prefer Gedit myself.

Basic Fastboot Command Syntax
    • fastboot flash "partition" "image" -- flashes partition image where partition is where to write to and image is the path to the image being written.
      example -- fastboot flash system /path/to/system.img
    • fastboot -w -- does a factory reset; to expedite things, "-w" can be added to "fastboot flash system system.img -w"
    • fastboot continue -- continue with the boot process
    • fastboot devices -- list devices fastboot recoginzes
    • fastboot -s "device model number" -- set the device fastboot will write commands to; use "fastboot devices" to find model number
    • fastboot reboot bootloader -- reboot phone into fastboot mode (or restart fastboot mode while in fastboot); same as "adb reboot bootloader"
    • fastboot help -- list all of this & more :p

Command Info
    Not all the fastboot commands work for us. Specifically, the "erase" commands. If a wipe command doesn't work, skip it. I'll mark them with a ! at the end if it might fail.

Install CWM Recovery by Epinter
    1. Read Epinter's RAZR HD CWM Thread
    2. Download the recovery image
    3. On stock rom, navigate to /system/etc and rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak
    4. Reboot into fastboot -- use "adb reboot bootloader" from Terminal\Command Prompt
    5. Wipe the existing recovery -- "fastboot erase recovery" !
    6. Flash the recovery with "fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6028-xt925_20130219-epinter.img"
    7. That's it, CWM is installed.

Install Stock Fastboots JB
    2. Extract the zip
    4. Reboot into fastboot
    8. fastboot erase system -w !
    9. fastboot flash system system.img
    10. fastboot -w
    11. fastboot erase cache !
    12. fastboot reboot

2. Extract the zip
    4. Reboot into fastboot
    8. fastboot erase system -w !
    10. fastboot erase cache !
    11. fastboot -w
    12. fastboot reboot

Install Alternate Radio
    1. Reboot into fastboot
    2. fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    3. fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    4. fastboot erase modemst1
    5. fastboot erase modemst2
    NON-HLOS.bin is found inside a fastboot zip.

Easy Kernel Install
    1. Download kernel-flash.zip in the attachments[/URL]
    2. Open the zip
    3. Replace the zips current boot.img and device_tree.bin from the fastboot of your choice
    4. Install the zip with CWM
    By default, kernel-flash.zip comes with Mex Retail kernel and devtree

Easy CWM Install
    1. Download recovery-flash.zip in the attachments[/URL]
    2. Install the zip with CWM
    Not sure if its SS compatible, but it is CWM compatible (for the lazy Photon Q users).

Obtain root after installing a Stock Firmware
    There are two choices for obtaining root after a stock flash. the closed source SuperSu by Chainfire & and the open source Superuser by Koush.
    Download SuperSu zip from Chainfire (Closed Source)
    Download Superuser from Koush (Open Source)
    1. Download the one of the root zips above.
    2. Reboot into CWM/TWRP -- adb reboot recovery
    3. Locate and flash the zip (see below for an alternative way)
    4. Reboot, that's it. Nice not having to run exploits\hacks\Linux just for root

Install Rom/Zip file with ADB + CWM
    CWM has the awesome ability to install zip files without having to manually copy them to the phone first. All's necessary is a PC with working adb.
    • Reboot into recovery
    • Select "install zip from sideload"
    • On PC, type "adb sideload /path/to/zip" and press enter
    • The zip will now be copied to the phone's cache & install
    • Once installed, do any requirements you'd normally do like wipe caches, etc
    Wow can everyone take a second to make a mental note to NEVER quote the ENTIRE original post???
    First of all thanks for all the work, CWM worked fine for me. But after that the problems began: I tried to flash the fastboot files (AT&T and also mexican version) but it stuck at flashing system.img. That's what I got:

D:\Atrix HD\MB886_niimx-user-4.1.2-9.8.2Q-50_MB886_NII_TA-2-16-release-keys-NII-
    MX.xml>fastboot flash system system.img
    (bootloader) Variable not supported!
    target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
    Invalid sparse file format at header magi
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 517990560 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 486529184 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 455055520 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 423602336 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 392145056 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 360523936 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 329070752 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 297834656 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 266279072 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 236382368 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 204929184 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 173467808 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 142014624 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 111741088 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 81475744 is not a multiple of th
    e block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 50006176 is not a multiple of th
    e block size 4096
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 18520224 is not a multiple of th
    e block size 4096
    sending sparse 'system' (30716 KB)...
    error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 517990560 is not a multiple of t
    he block size 4096
    he block size 4096
    OKAY [ 2.407s]
    writing 'system'...
    (bootloader) Unknown chunk type
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 5.064s

So after that booting didn't work any longer and it stuck at the red motorola logo (which replaces the bootloader unlocked warning, not the moving one). I'm able to get into CWM, but flashing ZIPs there let me also stuck at the red M and it says it can't mount SD, but not the external. These failure reports in adb/fastboot also appeared several times on the razr m/ i and also HD, but I couldn't find a solution in those threads. So anyone could help me please? Thanks!

Use the fastboot linked in the OP. SDK fastboot doesn't work for us.

Get stuck at waiting for device, on Linux Mint 14, any ideas?

Run everything as root
    type "su" then do all the commands.
    use "sudo -i" if "su" doesn't work
    OP Updated

Added some Linux Commands
    Instructions on flashing the radio
    An easier way to flash kernels
    Some Recommended Apps
    I'd recommend Koush Superuser over Chainfire's SuperSu.

http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip

Both should work, but one is without constant bugging about a Pro version and is completely open source ;)