"[ROOT] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (SGH-i957) *updated 2/10/2012*"

Search This thread

Presbycusis

Nov 26, 2011
Indianapolis
So ontop of the initial Superuser app issue I started running into other problems as well. Titanium backup would not work... at first properly and then not at all. The first hint was that I tried to freeze some AT&T apps and when Touchwiz launcher started to force close I went back to defrost to see if that fixed it but it would not let me. Then Ti stopped working all together; it kept saying that it could not have access without root or busybox which I had. I tried fixing permissions through Rom Manager but it doesn't seem to do anything on the tablet,even with the stock AT&T firmware as well (That is with the free version not premium Rom Manager). I had to revert back to my previous backup for now because of the conflicts. :(

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Successfully flashed Telus firmware!

Unfortunately my AT&T crapware did not get nuked and is still on my system plus the new programs like Music Hub, Readers Hub, Samsung Apps (which is great), new video player. Maybe its because I actually have an AT&T device. It is not hurting anything but I was hoping to be rid of it! :D

This firmware version does seem to run a bit faster and smoother I can tell already. The only other differences I see are the new lock screen (which I am indifferent about), stock E-mail wax-seal is red instead of blue, and the new market.

One thing I ran into though. I flashed CWM again to root but had an issue with Superuser. Like all the other programs it was still present but I did not have root access and even after uninstalling it the icon was there but it had no function. I booted back up into CWM and tried to flash Superuser.zip but it aborted. So, I cleared cache partition, cleared dalvik cache, and flashed Superuser and it worked.

Edit: Could I use the Darkside Super Wipe (skyrocket) tool, flash Telus firmware, then root to get rid of AT&T apps or would they still be there because they are on the SD? Looking at the DSW tool, it seems you need to stay in CWM and flash a rom from there so I don't know if I could reboot to flash firmare in ODIN.

My Tab is an AT&T unit too. I did uninstall almost all of the bloatware via TI before the flash, the exception being Communications Manager (it would do constant FCs if that wasn't installed). Comm. Manager was gone after the flash.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

So ontop of the initial Superuser app issue I started running into other problems as well. Titanium backup would not work... at first properly and then not at all. The first hint was that I tried to freeze some AT&T apps and when Touchwiz launcher started to force close I went back to defrost to see if that fixed it but it would not let me. Then Ti stopped working all together; it kept saying that it could not have access without root or busybox which I had. I tried fixing permissions through Rom Manager but it doesn't seem to do anything on the tablet,even with the stock AT&T firmware as well (That is with the free version not premium Rom Manager). I had to revert back to my previous backup for now because of the conflicts. :(

Install Busybox from the Market. And did you flash one of Da_G's kernels? If so, did you use CWM or Odin? Might be a problem with the CWM package and the general instability of the CWM that was cooked for the LTE Tab. One other thing to try is to reset defaults for Superuser, then double check it to see if TI is on the list after you grant permissions in TI.

TL;DR your root is hosed, and I suspect you need to reflash the kernel with Odin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Presbycusis

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
I used the darkside tool once and it did its job but bootlooped after until I did a factory reset from recovery.

If your backup is hanging during /data you need to put the. hidenandroidprogress file in your cwm folder.

Also, recently I lost superuser access to the program 'betterbatterystats' but that's about it. Odd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Last edited:

Presbycusis

Nov 26, 2011
Indianapolis
My Tab is an AT&T unit too. I did uninstall almost all of the bloatware via TI before the flash, the exception being Communications Manager (it would do constant FCs if that wasn't installed). Comm. Manager was gone after the flash.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Install Busybox from the Market. And did you flash one of Da_G's kernels? If so, did you use CWM or Odin? Might be a problem with the CWM package and the general instability of the CWM that was cooked for the LTE Tab. One other thing to try is to reset defaults for Superuser, then double check it to see if TI is on the list after you grant permissions in TI.

TL;DR your root is hosed, and I suspect you need to reflash the kernel with Odin.

I thought it might be the communication manager that I had problems with before...either deleting or freezing. I noticed that it was the the only program that did disappear after flash.

CWM Method was what I used to root and I did not flash any kernel. That may be why I was having issues with Superuser and Ti. Those two programs, along with busybox I had uninstalled and reinstalled from the market after root but it didn't seem to help. SU showed Ti having permissions but still said it did not have root access.

Think what I will do is delete all bloat but the Com Manager, install Telus firmware, root with Da_g's kernel (I had not really done much with the new kernels because I am not very familiar with ADB to push lib files...I need to read up on that first) and if all is well then flash CWM.

I used the darkside tool once and it did its job but bootlooped after until I did a factory reset from recovery.

If your backup is hanging during /data you need to put the. hidenandroidprogress file in your cwm folder.

Also, recently I lost superuser access to the program 'betterbatterystats' but that's about it. Odd.

I will also make the .hidenandroidprogress file just in case too. There were no problems making a backup for me before but it did hang at /data when I restored. Had to reboot, then restore, and it worked fine that time. Going to try Darkside wipe as well.
------------------------
Two questions though:

1) Is there any reason why fix permissions does not work through Rom Manager? It just says "Fixing permissions....." at the top and does nothing.

2) Should I clear cache partition and dalvik cache before flashing new firmware or should that not matter because it is technically just an update and not a new ROM?

Last edited:

reapur

Jun 15, 2010
I had seen that in the other thread but was afraid to try because in that thread they mentioned this will not work with the LTE tabs, it scared me off.

Anyhoo, I added that file and did a backup and it works. Funny the first time I did a backup without that file it worked too :)

Cheers

Did you make the blank file .hidenandroidprogress file in the clockwork folder?
I did not have to do this but I know some where having an issue with making backups if they didn't create this file. Check out this thread.

[RECOVERY] CWMR 5.5.0.4 for I957 (LTE)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1462770

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
1) Is there any reason why fix permissions does not work through Rom Manager? It just says "Fixing permissions....." at the top and does nothing.

2) Should I clear cache partition and dalvik cache before flashing new firmware or should that not matter because it is technically just an update and not a new ROM?

1. The ROM manager program from the market isnt really compatable with our device and shouldn't really be used. Fix permissions through the CWM interface.

2. Whenever I flash anything, I always clear data, cache, dalvik, and anything else I can. Call me paranoid, but I never really have issues afterwards. Restoring is more time consuming, but I enjoy re-customizing a device.

reapur

Jun 15, 2010
An irritating problem with the market.
I have to clear cache and clear data before I install anything. Then I can only install one app, and I have to the clear again, then install another app.

If I simply install from the android market on the web, it works.

no only that, but icons have been disappearing from my app drawer,for example Drop box. I have drop box installed, I see it in applications and I can launch it from app monster, but it's no where to be found in the app drawer. I really don't like honeycomb.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
Wierd problems. I've never experienced either of those. Use another launcher to see if the icons are in that app drawer

Reactions: reapur

reapur

Jun 15, 2010
Great idea, I didn't even think of that!!! the default launcher had all the icons. so I cleared data on go launcher and now I have the dropbox back and some others but they're on the last page. Ahhhh, honeycomb!

Wierd problems. I've never experienced either of those. Use another launcher to see if the icons are in that app drawer

Presbycusis

Nov 26, 2011
Indianapolis
Croak or anyone else who might have an answer to this question...

This is in regards to the Samsung App Store. I installed Tapatalk HD and Norton security apps before having to reinstall my last save the other night. I reflashed Telus update with rooted kernel and cwm tonight. Everything went really well this time and my tablet is running way better than before.

Well, this time I went back into the app store but I skimed through the licence agreement and I noticed there was a clause about it only to be used on select carriers and charges may apply etc etc. I know the apps are free but now I'm a little worried about charges. I didn't sign up for anything though and I don't have a tab data plan (just using home wi-fi) so I can't see how charges would apply. I also know that alot of those legal agreements have to say certain things just for the lawyers so I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

Do u know if this is a valid concern since I'm here in the States on or should I not give it a second thought? Do you know any non Canadians that have used this store and downloaded apps?

Thanks again!!!

Sent from my SGH-I957D using xda premium

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Don't worry about it, standard boilerplate, they won't come back and charge you for anything marked free that you've downloaded.

reapur

Jun 15, 2010
About the samsung app store, do you guys mean the one on the web or is there a specific mobile app?

Thanks

bose.jhebert

Jun 25, 2010
Alaska
Well...crap

OK so I followed method 2, after a few minutes of working I tried to go into settings on my tab and it locked up, would go into standby and unlock again but nothing else, on reboot it hung on samsung screen. I tried loading the stock kernel and got the same thing. Any help? I can't get it past the samsung splash.

*UPDATE* ok so "Mount USB Storage" doesn't work in CWM, meaning my hopes of flashing telus just went down the tubes. Any way to load the telus rom without already having it on the SD card?

*UPDATE2* just realized telus rom is odin flashable.

*update3* Telus rom flashed, same result, glowing samsung splash but nothing else.

Last edited:

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
Same thing happened to me when messing with homemade cwm zips. I just went into download mode and flashed the stock att rom in the pda slot and all was fine.

bose.jhebert

Jun 25, 2010
Alaska
It was working I was just impatient, took about 15m but telus loaded fine, except tw fcs constantly, had to load go launcher hd

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Just curious - is there any reason that root requires a modded kernel?

Would it minimally suffice to just flash CWM to a fresh i957 and then apply the correct su.zip from CWM? Or are there root apps that wouldn't work under those circumstances?

Or perhaps there is a mistake in the Method 1 instructions. When it says "7. Hit Start - the modded kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart." should that be recovery rather than kernel?

When just flashing the recovery in Odin, does that trip the internal flash counter too?

Reactions: orlandoxpolice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People have requested that the initial thread from the general section be cleaned up into a step by step, so here goes. This is ONLY FOR HONEYCOMB 3.2 for the SGH-i957.

NEXT WARNING: USE OF ODIN CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE IF USED INCORRECTLY. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DUE TO FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Method 1

This is for people who want to keep the stock kernel. This will not trip the flash counter.

1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    2. Download CWM Recovery (courtesy of utkanos)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9459955/recovery/testing/SGHI957/v2/CWMR5x_i957_recovery.tar.md5
    2. Download Odin 1.85
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
    3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
    4. Place the CWMR.tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
    5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
    6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
    7. Hit Start - cwm recovery should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
    8. Download superuser.zip from the skyrocket forums (courtesy Copperhed)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4h8cmh287mcxuf8
    9. Copy superuser.zip to the tablet
    10. Reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Up)
    11. Navigate to 'Install zip from SD card' and select 'superuser.zip'. You will get an SD Card error when it is done installing, this is normal.

You are now rooted with stock kernel.

Method 2

This is Da_G's work. This will trip your flash counter.

Steps:
    1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    2. Download Da_G's modded kernel
    http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/sgh-i957-rooted-kernel-v2.tar
    2. Download Odin 1.85
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cghfk06lcfiwi29
    3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
    4. Place the modded kernel .tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
    5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
    6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
    7. Hit Start - the modded kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
    8. Go into market and download the Superuser App.

Optional - you can flash the stock kernel back using steps 3-7 above.
    http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/stock-kernel-odin-image-for-sgh-i957.tar

Changes in Da_G's Kernel

Changes in this kernel:
    ADB Insecure (gives you # root prompt at adb instead of $)
    su, busybox added to ramdisk
    script to install busybox and su at boot-up
    init.d support for running init.d scripts at bootup
    stock android bootanimation (so you can run custom boot anims)

***Note: User Croak flashed the stock ATT Firmware to his Bell device and successfully used this root method afterwards.***

Initial Development Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390522

Credits:
    Huge thanks to Da_G for doing ALL of the work on the modified kernel without owning the device.
    Croak and Blackberrynomore for being the first to test!
    Scarchunk for the CWM kernel zips!
    I am working on a ROM/Recovery for you guys now, need some testers with adb knowledge in irc.irondust.net #skyrocket :)
    Do we have a zip version of kernel to flash though CWM laying around somewhere?

Here's CWM flashable zips of the three available kernels for our device. Da_G's root kernel, his OC kernel, and the stock kernel. This should make it easy for everyone to switch between kernels without having to fire up Odin each time. I've tested each one quite a few times on my device.

All credit goes to Da_G, I just packaged them for my own convenience.
    I wonder if installing CWM through odin, and then installing superuser.zip from this link would work...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340526

Edit: it works - updated original post.
    I F'ed up and flashed the wrong CWM and now have soft brick trying to root my i957. Is there a stock rom I can flash back to through odin? I've been searching high and low. Google also isn't my friend on this one. I'm stuck at a firmware upgrad encounterd an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again. But it's not even recognised in Kies at all to do any level of an restore. But the tab is seen in odin on com3. PM any info as I'm heading home from work if there's any useful help for my du-mass moment of the day.

http://www.hotfile.com/dl/135905448/56fb22e/I957UCKJ7_I957ATTKJ7_ATT.zip.html
    zip password is samfirmware.com or samfirwares.com

Unzip it, flash it in the PDA of Odin, don't change any of the Odin checkboxes. That SHOULD get you back up to speed, since your bootloader is still intact (as indicated by the ! screen).

And as you may have figured out, there is no CWM for the 8.9 LTE right now...just the Root kernel, or the Root+OC kernel.