NC4 Rooted & Safestrap installed successfully, Root/Safestrap instructions

Search This thread

Badabing6

Dec 8, 2010
With this towel root do you get to keep all settings and apps as the phone stands? Or does this wipe your phone to factory / new complete wipe?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

FFFreak

Jun 25, 2010
SuperSU

My theory.. guess .. I'm Guessing! Thank you for understanding : )
Towelroot actual installs chain fire's SU using a daemon (system/xbin/daemonsu --auto-daemon) {also has a off named version of the ELF file}

Chainfire's release update for v2.00 could be that some issues couldn't be found until someone could actually be root...
Things in the release notes - towelroot was utilizing:
Fixed case where u:r:system_server:s0 context did not work
Update backuptool script for sugote

Anyhow update to v2.00... Play store
Chainfire's Change log

Then again Chainfire says:
I've just uploaded v2.00 to Google Play. v2.00 not because this version is something special, but because we ran out of v1.xx numbers.
Also, this update should fix issues with installing SupeSU from Play if you've used Towelroot. Geohot did include the latest development version of SuperSU's binaries (from v1.99r5) but didn't include the APK (... yeah ...) - and the APK from Play was older until now.

He didn't include the APK because he injects in to the OS from a SO file. ... GeoHot's APK has 2+ distinct binaries in it... The installer, SuperSu, and rest of the SO File i assume is the (exploit) ... I am curious how he did it, but I have ideas.. Nothing I would be able to accomplish - still impressed.

crazed_z06

May 17, 2009
Hmm.. skimmed through the thread here and see some people are having issues...

So are the instructions in the original post valid? Should everything work without issue following those steps?

LordFuzzy024

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
Hmm.. skimmed through the thread here and see some people are having issues...

So are the instructions in the original post valid? Should everything work without issue following those steps?

Everything work great. Just do what the instructions say.

My only question that has not yet been answered is, How do we Un-Root if needed?

crazed_z06

May 17, 2009
Everything work great. Just do what the instructions say.

My only question that has not yet been answered is, How do we Un-Root if needed?

EDIT:
OK got it installed.. seems like everything is working. Only weird thing is SuperSu wants to update binaries every now and then, but it always says "installation failed"

I used the SuperSu link in the OP..

EDIT 2:
There seems to be an update for SuperSu in the play store today.. seems to fix the updating binaries issue.

Last edited:

jeepmanjr

May 15, 2014
EDIT:
OK got it installed.. seems like everything is working. Only weird thing is SuperSu wants to update binaries every now and then, but it always says "installation failed"

I used the SuperSu link in the OP..

EDIT 2:
There seems to be an update for SuperSu in the play store today.. seems to fix the updating binaries issue.

I get the same thing when installed on my NC4 N3 after rooting with towelroot. Do you recall what the name of that update is? I can't seem to find it.

crazed_z06

May 17, 2009
Last edited:

jeepmanjr

May 15, 2014
I just installed the supersu from the Google play store. It's version 2.00 it seems. Was updated in the store yesterday.

Edit:
Eh nevermind.. still doing it..

Thanks for the reply. FYI, I uninstalled, re-rooted with towelroot, reinstalled SuperSU and now it works like a champ. No nags, no nothing. Life is good. Now if I could just get safestrap to work! LOL!

forstir9

Jun 8, 2011
I haven't rooted a phone since the Samsung Fascinate. You made it seem so easy that I thought I would give it a shot. Not only was it super easy it is almost fool proof... Beware if you are a fool though... Lol.

Thank you for this post... It is very noob friendly. Now I need to do further reading to see what more I need to do to this note 3. I can use a PS3 controller and I got my ISIS working... That is it so far. Well besides doing a backup of my phone... Which takes much longer than I would have expected.

nickhex89

Jul 25, 2013
So basically if we say never flashed the nc2 via Odin but did root su etc and flashed we are SOL till we get to a computer cause all I get is black screen after safestrap... Everything else worked.

jmoi923

Jan 27, 2011
Chicago
Please help!

So, I installed SS, clicked on the install recovery button, click on OK for Super SU to grant access, but for the Safe System: Not Active, the Reboot to Recovery button is always greyed out no matter what I do, what did I miss??

So, I get out of that screen, reboot to recovery manually and all I get is the "Recovery Booting" in blue letters at the top left of the screen...

A horizontal android dead center of the screen with a red exclamation point in his mid-section

Red font:

Android system Recovery <3e>
KOT49H.N900VVRUCNC4
Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select

Reboot system now
apply update from ADB

etc..

# Manual Mode#
-- Applying Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : VZW
Successfully applied multi-SCS,

WHEN I am fully expecting to get this screen where you get to choose "Recovery" or "Continue" (Can't find the screenshot right now.)

THANKS!!!

jgonzales74

Apr 25, 2012
Murfreesboro
Glad to be back

I was a little hesitant to go back to root when I got my Note 3 in Feb. But after a few months I could not stay away. Rooted and installed Safestrap and Bajarom. I am glad I switched great rom.

neur0t0xin64

Sep 7, 2006
Coral Gables, FL
So, I installed SS, clicked on the install recovery button, click on OK for Super SU to grant access, but for the Safe System: Not Active, the Reboot to Recovery button is always greyed out no matter what I do, what did I miss??

So, I get out of that screen, reboot to recovery manually and all I get is the "Recovery Booting" in blue letters at the top left of the screen...

A horizontal android dead center of the screen with a red exclamation point in his mid-section

Red font:

Android system Recovery <3e>
KOT49H.N900VVRUCNC4
Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select

Reboot system now
apply update from ADB

etc..

# Manual Mode#
-- Applying Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : VZW
Successfully applied multi-SCS,

WHEN I am fully expecting to get this screen where you get to choose "Recovery" or "Continue" (Can't find the screenshot right now.)

THANKS!!!

Did you install busybox? This must be installed in order to install the recovery. I has the same issue and I realized that I had forgotten it.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I was a little hesitant to go back to root when I got my Note 3 in Feb. But after a few months I could not stay away. Rooted and installed Safestrap and Bajarom. I am glad I switched great rom.

Were you on the OTA 4.4.2 before rooting? How were you able to get baja? I have been trying everything to get eclipse on there but just get a black screen and no boot. Any hints?

jmoi923

Jan 27, 2011
Chicago
Neurotoxin, I did install busybox. So how do I get out b of this jam that I got myself in....any other ideas at this point? Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

neur0t0xin64

Sep 7, 2006
Coral Gables, FL
I just rooted my Note 3 using Towelroot method and it didn't trip the Knox counter

1. Just install Towelroot.apk from http://towelroot.com/

2. Open Towerroot to root than reboot

3. install Root checker from the Play store to check root

4. install Supersu from http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip - Unzip and install APK, open and let it uninstall Knox and Reboot.

For more details refer to - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Installing Safestrap:

After Rooting and Supersu is installed follow below steps to install safestrap:

1. Install Busybox app from Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox&hl=en

2. Install Safestrap from herehttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610 and follow instructions in the thread

Neurotoxin, I did install busybox. So how do I get out b of this jam that I got myself in....any other ideas at this point? Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

I'm sure you followed the OP instructions but my suggestion is to uninstall busybox, SS, and SU. Reboot. Reroot with TR and then install them again. MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE BINARIES and try SS again. Get the chainfire SU. The others did not work for me.

This is what I did and got it to work the second time around.

On a separate note... the three button combo does not work to get to SS recovery. Unfortunately it gets you to the stock recovery which is USELESS. You have to reboot into recovery from within SS or wait for the SS splash screen to come up and select recovery.

j_axxy

Jan 13, 2012
Murrieta
It's important to note that it's still preferable to be on NC2, because of the "special features" that were never meant to make it to the public.

NC2 is the best... but if you accidentally OTA'd, or got a new phone (or replacement) that had NC4 on it... then towel root is your only option to root, where previously there was none. The big news and the big deal is for people that previously did not have root because they ended up on NC4... and there may be additional benefits that come from the development of the method; any knowledge gained about the software on our phones is advantageous, if not necessarily useful.

I have friends that always want the latest OTA for their phones, in spite of the fact that most of the time, OTAs work against us, not in our favor. This is a hard mindset to overcome.

Everybody - KEEP NC2 IF YOU HAVE THE OPTION.

I have done the OP instructions 5 times now and the root checker keeps saying I have no root, I am getting so frustrated, going to bed now and will be trying again in the morning....... Question:

Dose anyone know if you where to go and buy a new note 3 today or got a replacement from the insurance would the phone have NC2?

PS I DO NOT CONDONE FRAUD its just a question​

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just rooted my Note 3 using Towelroot method and it didn't trip the Knox counter

1. Just install Towelroot.apk from http://towelroot.com/

2. Open Towerroot to root than reboot

3. install Root checker from the Play store to check root

4. install Supersu from http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip - Unzip and install APK, open and let it uninstall Knox and Reboot.

For more details refer to - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Installing Safestrap:

After Rooting and Supersu is installed follow below steps to install safestrap:

1. Install Busybox app from Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox&hl=en

2. Install Safestrap from herehttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610 and follow instructions in the thread
    It's important to note that it's still preferable to be on NC2, because of the "special features" that were never meant to make it to the public.

NC2 is the best... but if you accidentally OTA'd, or got a new phone (or replacement) that had NC4 on it... then towel root is your only option to root, where previously there was none. The big news and the big deal is for people that previously did not have root because they ended up on NC4... and there may be additional benefits that come from the development of the method; any knowledge gained about the software on our phones is advantageous, if not necessarily useful.

I have friends that always want the latest OTA for their phones, in spite of the fact that most of the time, OTAs work against us, not in our favor. This is a hard mindset to overcome.

Everybody - KEEP NC2 IF YOU HAVE THE OPTION.
    You got it, thanks so much. I don't have the developer edition. Honestly, I have no clue what I'm doing. My phone is rooted with safestrap installed. All I want is a smoother than stock experience without all the bloat and better battery life. If I can keep the pen, that's nice too. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

To be honest, a "custom rom" is not really going to do any of that for you. I mean, it will remove bloat... But that bloat isn't doing anything except sitting there.

I think back in the Eclair and Froyo days a custom rom like CM really helped the experience. But now - stock roms are the smoothest, bug-free roms you can run. Custom roms are more about options and customization. But I haven't been on a custom rom that I can remember that has been any faster or smoother than the firmware that came on the phone.

Just my opinion.

____________________________________________________________________________
    @theop - thanks for the post. Have you noticed any negative impact as far as performance when using this root method? I understand that it is a kernel exploit - so I was told that it would absolutely not effect the phone performance. But I love some input from a first hand user.
    I have successfully rooted and installed safestrap on my stock nc4 note 3 however when I try to install jellybeans build 6 into romslot 1 and boot to it, the phone never shows a boot screen after the safestrap screen. I get a blue led and nothing else.

Any ideas? Maybe 4.3 isn't compatible with the new modem?

Beans 6 is 4.3 based. If you are on 4.4.2, the kernel is different and since we are locked, we cannot flash kernels. You need a rom based off of 4.4.2, only nc2 can roll back to 4.3. Nc4 cannot roll back. It has nothing to do with the modem, but is 100 percent kernel related.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    can we flash 4.4.2] Hyperdrive KK RLS8 rom on a rom.slot???instead stock slot they say we can this is very confusing now can some one open a thred with roms we can flash.or comfirm what we can use

As myself and a few others have said in this very same thread, you must stick with a 4.4.2 rom. That means nothing earlier than kitkat. Any rom that is based on kitkat should work, and no other rom will. Rom slots are not working at this time.

To summarize:
    The only recovery you can use is safestrap 3.72
    Safestrap 3.72 will not let you utilize rom slots right now. only stock slot.
    The only roms you will be able to use are 4.4.2 based roms. NO jellybean roms will work (4.3).

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I Would love to figure out how to get wifi tether working now...foxfi sucks