[Q] New phone can not boot! after titanium backup. Help

Search This thread

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
Hi.

Thanks to everyone who might give me some help.

I have a new quad-core phone with android 4.2.1, that is now useless. It can not boot, it freeze at second bootlogo, before animation.
It is rooted, and i have made some changes to build.prop. It worked fine, but after some time i realized the gallery and camera app was gone.

Then i did following:
Installed updated standard gallery+camera apk found online, both in the same app. from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2341080
Works great, but i wanted to make it a system app, so did that with titanium backup.
After that, the camera app is gone. Gallery app is still working.
So i tried to change it back to user app, again with titanium, but did not stop working. After some time i took out the battery.
Now it freeze before boot animation.

I tried "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition", in system recovery but still not booting!
I tried to backup user data from another phone, same model, and restore on this one but says "Error: checksum compare fail".

Do i need to flash a new rom to the phone with my pc? I have not tried this before, and i want to keep stock rom.
I have read this page:
http://www.chargeforums.com/forum/d...-flashing-roms-return-stock-odin-picture.html
But i can not get it in download mode, with those hotkeys?

If it is to any help, i have acces to other working phones of the same model.

Last edited:

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
The model is called A999M or Android Grand 1.

I can go in system recovery with volume up + power. But not helping. The only other boot menu i can acces, is only sometimes with volume down + power, i will get a menu but all en chinese.

I managed to get the bad build.prop file from the phone with adb, and see the error in it. But i can not get write acces to change/replace the file.

I compared the build.prop i modified on crashed phone, with working phone and the difference is following all changed to a OEM name (with Capial first letter, that gives problems):
ro.product.name=hexing89_we_jb2
ro.product.device=hexing89_we_jb2
ro.product.board=hexing89_we_jb2
ro.build.product=hexing89_we_jb2

"adb root" returns "adbd cannot run as root in production builds" and all other options like remount for r/w acces gives "remount failed: Operation not permitted"

The phone was rooted with framaroot:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

Would be very glad for some help. If you have the answer to fix it, i might even pay a little for your time.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
So adb connects right?
Try this
adb shell
ls -l /dev/block/partitions

And from here keep searching and try to find by name (we are looking for system partition here)
If you can't find it from a shell try
cat /proc/partitions
Or just simply
Mount

If you find system then run this
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Or whatever path to /system is
Then
You can simply push or use dd commands to push new build.prop and then chmod permissions to 644
Let me know what comes of this, as I know nothing about your phone but it sounds very fixable

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
So adb connects right?
Try this
adb shell
ls -l /dev/block/partitions

And from here keep searching and try to find by name (we are looking for system partition here)
If you can't find it from a shell try
cat /proc/partitions
Or just simply
Mount

If you find system then run this
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
Or whatever path to /system is
Then
You can simply push or use dd commands to push new build.prop and then chmod permissions to 644
Let me know what comes of this, as I know nothing about your phone but it sounds very fixable

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hi.
I can not do that. First i already found the build.prop file. I can simply put "adb shell", and "cd /system", and "ls -all", and then i see the build.prop file.
I can also go youre way and do "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system", but it says "mount: Operation not permitted"

Remember i can not do adb root. I get "adbd cannot run as root in production builds".
I can also not do "su" inside adb shell. Everytime i do, prompt freezes. I think my phone is suposed to prompt me for Su acces, but shows nothing but the boot logo.

So for now, the problem is i have only read acces. No write acces.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Were not looking to list everything in system partition, rather trying to fin the block, I just wrote some random block that I'm sure is not yours unless you have some old mtd phone
In other words don't ls /system but rather /dev/block..... Until you find the block or use cat or mount or whatever to find it so you know what to mount

Also can you get to recovery and use adb there? If so I would recommend this as your system is already goofed up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
Were not looking to list everything in system partition, rather trying to fin the block, I just wrote some random block that I'm sure is not yours unless you have some old mtd phone
In other words don't ls /system but rather /dev/block..... Until you find the block or use cat or mount or whatever to find it so you know what to mount

Also can you get to recovery and use adb there? If so I would recommend this as your system is already goofed up

Hi.

If i just write "mount" i get:
/emmc@android /system ext4 ro,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/emmc@usrdata /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/emmc@cache /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /mnt/cd-rom iso9660 ro,relatime 0 0
/emmc@protect_f /protect_f ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/emmc@protect_s /protect_s ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0

If i just write "ls -all" i get:
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@android -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@ebr1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@fat -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@protect_f -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@protect_s -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@sec_ro -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 01:00 emmc@usrdata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

I hope i got the info you wanted. What should i write next?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Well we know its ext4 file system but we still don't have the block location
Try
ls -l -a /dev/block/platform
And see what you get

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Not near a PC so just ran a terminal emulator so I can show you what we hope to find
If you have a by-name directory you're golden, if not we will keep looking
(Hit __ twice by accident in screen shot)

Attachments

• 1391055614623.jpg
    1391055614623.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 46

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
Well we know its ext4 file system but we still don't have the block location
Try
ls -l -a /dev/block/platform
And see what you get

Inside "block" i get:
loop0
loop1
loop2
loop3
loop4
loop5
loop6
loop7
mmcblk0
mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3
mmcblk0p4
mmcblk0p5
mmcblk0p6
mmcblk0p7
mmcblk0p8
mmcblk1
mmcblk1p1
platform
vold

Inside "platform" i get:
mtk-msdc.0
mtk-msdc.1

Inside "mtk-msdc.0" i get:
by-num
mmcblk0 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0
mmcblk0boot0 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
mmcblk0boot1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0boot1
mmcblk0p1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0p2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
mmcblk0p3 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
mmcblk0p4 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
mmcblk0p5 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
mmcblk0p6 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
mmcblk0p7 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
mmcblk0p8 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

Inside "mtk-msdc.1" i get:
by-num
mmcblk1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk1
mmcblk1p1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Sorry I'm blind, your mount showed /system is being called android, so you need to change the mount command from earlier to mmcblk0p5 from mtd....
Also did you try running adb from recovery mode?

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
Sorry I'm blind, your mount showed /system is being called android, so you need to change the mount command from earlier to mmcblk0p5 from mtd....
Also did you try running adb from recovery mode?

I just tried:
shell@android:/ $ mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
mount: Operation not permitted

I think its because i can not do "su". Its just stops when i write it, and waiting on an empty line.

In system recovery i tried "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition". But it does not help, since it will not recover system files like build.prop that is faulty. I also tried to "apply update" from zip and adb with the correct build.prop. But it can not apply it.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
What recovery do you have? Stock? Custom?
Have you tried adb through recovery?
After you hit su does the prompt change from $ to # ?
Actually if you copy and paste all input/output from cmd/terminal when you try them out it is easier to help fix

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
What recovery do you have? Stock? Custom?
Have you tried adb through recovery?
After you hit su does the prompt change from $ to # ?
Actually if you copy and paste all input/output from cmd/terminal when you try them out it is easier to help fix

I believe its just stock recovery. When im in recovery menu, i can not connect with adb.

C:\Users\Dennis>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
-waiting on this empty line-

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Mmm.... Does the oem have a website, often if you can find it there will be stock firmware/software with instructions on how to flash it. Like through fastboot or some download mode (maybe that Chinese writing screen - try getting a photo of it and see if someone will be nice and translate it for you)
Often there is some flash suite for these no-name devices like rockchips have as well as some well known OEMS
But without root access and no oem software this may be more difficult than I hoped, check around a bit and let me know what you find

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
Mmm.... Does the oem have a website, often if you can find it there will be stock firmware/software with instructions on how to flash it. Like through fastboot or some download mode (maybe that Chinese writing screen - try getting a photo of it and see if someone will be nice and translate it for you)
Often there is some flash suite for these no-name devices like rockchips have as well as some well known OEMS
But without root access and no oem software this may be more difficult than I hoped, check around a bit and let me know what you find

Okay thank you. Im thinking if its possible to take a nandroid backup from a working phone (my girlfriend have one too), and recover on this one. But dont know if i can recover without root acces?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
No worries, does your recovery have a nandroid backup and install function? If so then this would be ideal! The other option maybe to use dd commands to take her system.img and restore to yours through dd, but to me this is always a last resort as dd didn't get/the nickname disk destroyer for nothing! (_although it is safe so long as you don't mistype)
But start by looking for oem software and a flash mode if your recovery doesn't have backup restore options

Skyen

Jan 18, 2009
No worries, does your recovery have a nandroid backup and install function? If so then this would be ideal! The other option maybe to use dd commands to take her system.img and restore to yours through dd, but to me this is always a last resort as dd didn't get/the nickname disk destroyer for nothing! (_although it is safe so long as you don't mistype)
But start by looking for oem software and a flash mode if your recovery doesn't have backup restore options

There is no oem software, i have to work it out myself. The stock recovery only have options to backup and restore "user date". Not the system. But still i already tried to restore a backup from another phone, but get checksum error. I tried a few workaround for this, but didnt help.

I think i need to learn how to do a full nandroid copy. But i just hoped it was possible to just copy the one file i need, and not everything.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
...if its just data partition then this won't help. The only ways I know how to do a nandroid is with a custom recovery (you don't have)
Adb http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1021625
But as you can see requires root
Some apps - you have no os
Utilities like android commander or droid explorer -_ need root
So this leaves dd commands, but maybe keep digging for stock website or getting someone to translate that screen for you (may be what you're after)
Best of luck!