Razr Maxx Battery Life

Search This thread

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Sorry if this is a basic question, I just got a Razr Maxx (had other HTC devices). To those reporting battery percentages not in 10% increments, how are you getting those? Are you using custom ROMs? The stock ROM appears to report in 10% increments only. Thanks.

milkshed27

Jun 15, 2010
While I did see a nominal increase in battery life with Juice Defender, what drove me nuts was the time it took data to "wake up" after unlocking the phone. Eventually, I turned Juice Defender off.

And, like others, the first few days with my Maxx had 2 instances where I awoke to a dead battery. Now, 2 weeks later, charging and discharging is slow and predictable. About 2.5 hours from 5% to fully charged and a couple days of use between charges. No issues to speak of.

I don't bother with juice defender, for my use I find it to be more of a hindrance than anything else. At the moment I use Tasker and an app called DataSwitch by TomatoX. I have DataSwitch on my homescreen and whenever I need data I just turn it on.

The thing with me is that I don't always need data on just because I've turned on the screen. Maybe, I want to take a picture or send a text which wouldn't require data. In fact imo mobile data switching on/off continuously every time the display is on/off drains more battery than just keeping the phone on 3G.

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
While I did see a nominal increase in battery life with Juice Defender, what drove me nuts was the time it took data to "wake up" after unlocking the phone. Eventually, I turned Juice Defender off.
I would just leave 4G off and 3G on. At least where I'm at, 3G is good for streaming online radio, pandora, simple web surfing and anything else except HD video playback and maybe tethering.

I have a widget I just flip on whenever I need 4G and it takes about 2-8 seconds to turn on/off

Sorry if this is a basic question, I just got a Razr Maxx (had other HTC devices). To those reporting battery percentages not in 10% increments, how are you getting those? Are you using custom ROMs? The stock ROM appears to report in 10% increments only. Thanks.
I can't remember if it was a specific flash or if it came with the Eclipse ROM.

Last edited:

milkshed27

Jun 15, 2010

There is an app off the market called Battery Circle that will give you 1% increments at the top left side of your notification bar. Keep in mind however that applications that give you battery percentages in 1% increments will drain more battery because it constantly has to poll and wake up to change the battery level.

nrvous1

Jan 16, 2010

I'm using an old app I paid $.99 for back when I first got my dinc called battery indicator pro. I know there are free apps out there that do the same thing, but I'm not sure why I paid for this app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

nrvous1

Jan 16, 2010
This is a basic question, but my maxx does not get that low on battery throughout the day. The lowest it was yesterday was at 52% by 11:00pm. Will charging my phone overnight at that high of a percentage do any damage or lessen the life of the battery?

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
This is a basic question, but my maxx does not get that low on battery throughout the day. The lowest it was yesterday was at 52% by 11:00pm. Will charging my phone overnight at that high of a percentage do any damage or lessen the life of the battery?

Should not be any problem. Android (and the battery) will stop the charge when it is full to protect the battery.

Reactions: nrvous1

Thank Me Later

Dec 11, 2011
This morning my Razr Maxx was at 40% with 4 hours and 33 minutes of screen on time. I think the Maxx is a great phone for wireless radio and good battery life. I don't think it's as good as advertised on the TV commercial but it will definitely last all day. It will last me from the time I wake up in the morning to the time I go to sleep at night with heavy usage, I'm good with that :)

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
This morning my Razr Maxx was at 40% with 4 hours and 33 minutes of screen on time. I think the Maxx is a great phone for wireless radio and good battery life. I don't think it's as good as advertised on the TV commercial but it will definitely last all day. It will last me from the time I wake up in the morning to the time I go to sleep at night with heavy usage, I'm good with that :)
Yep that's all I need too :D
The radio on this is so much better than my old dINC, I have signal in places where it dropped on my dINC. Good stuff

Thank Me Later

Dec 11, 2011
Motorola is known for making good wireless radios on their phones. And being on Verizon Wireless that just helps it even more. I get signal in a lot of places I didn't when I use to be on at&t or Sprint.

cc217

Dec 14, 2010
I just got my Razr Maxx last Friday and my battery life has been pretty good. I tend to listen to Pandora at work for a few hours and that drains it the most. I've managed to get the battery down to around 10% by the end of the day though. When I'm not using it for much more than calling, texting or a quick web search, it seems like it hardly does anything to the battery.

A related question that maybe someone can answer, though. I have a usb plug from my HTC Hero that I tried to use as the plug for my Maxx, but it didn't seem to charge it past 70% after the whole night of charging. After changing it to the included adapter it went up from there, but I don't understand why it wouldn't charge higher with the HTC adapter. Can someone explain?

59eagle

Mar 29, 2012
Maxx battery life

So yesterday I turned my maxx (using the pre-installed power widget) to automatic screen brightness, no wifi, no gps, and no autosync. And I got about 13 hours from the battery before it popped a notification and the battery turned red. I did play like angry birds for about 30-40 mins, and used the 4G for about an hour. Is this normal?

EDIT: and what does the "Display power saver" in the brightness setting actually do? I don't really notice a difference; I can see that the screen slightly dims...

Last edited:

nrvous1

Jan 16, 2010
I didn't want to start a new thread, but my wife's maxx has this icon (see pic) in the notification bar which looks like a battery? Anyone have an idea of what it is?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332986782466.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1332986782466.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 165

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
4463ad63-cb08-3632.jpg
4463ad63-cb0e-7498.jpg
4463ad63-cb15-efc9.jpg
4463ad63-cb1d-f29f.jpg

My battery life is fantastic. I am 100% satisfied with my maxx. It is rooted and I froze many apps. But its better than I expected. Very happy w my decision and do not regret it.

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
I just read though all the posts...has anyone ever owned an extended battery lol. Just to clear up any confusion...
Look, the maxx is a smartphone w a large battery. It lasts longer than any other android phone ever made. Period.
You paid $300 for a very nice phone w an extended battery.
You cant get another phone on the planet running android that's under 9mm thick and has this kinda battery life.
I run my phone rooted. Froze 35 apps. Leave data on all the time. No 4g here so I leave it in cdma. Use wifi only when I am at the house. GPS sync etc stay on all the time. I use no task managers. I leave auto brightness on. I did enable screen power save or whatever its called in display setting. No smart actions. I shut wifi off when I leave for work.
The razr maxx is the truth. It does everything and more that any dual core smart phone rocking a name brand, well made extended battery can/should do. 4 to 5 hour screen on time on 3g s what I think the avg should be. Obviously I may not use what some here use but I hammer my phone when Im able to. It hasn't let me down and the battery has gotten better after a few days of use.
Don't listen to everyone and freak out about conditioning. Use the phone as a normal phone and what ever your usage is, charge it when you go to bed, wake up ad use it. Repeat cycle until it quits or you renew you contract. The battery will charge. The battery will learn so to speak, but a charge is a charge.
If you are getting similar results look at your apps. Download better battery stats (Google it on xda) and look at partial wake locks. It will help you narrow down issues. 99.9v% of issues will be caused by the end user ad not the device going rouge, developing a mind of its own and eating your T-shirt.
Good luck

Reactions: i500

Touch-ee

Aug 28, 2009
Boston
I have had my Maxx for over a month now, just in the last week it seems like the battery is not lasting as long. When I get home at night I'm down to 15% and the indicator turns red. The first 3 weeks this never happened, I would be 40 or 50% when I got home.

Of course going a full day is still amazing but not sure why it has gotten a lot worse in just a month. I know it could be some app I might have downloaded but I don’t know what it would be. I am using it for all the same stuff in all the same ways as day 1.

skategeezer

Feb 11, 2011
Seattle WA
Motorola is known for making good wireless radios on their phones. And being on Verizon Wireless that just helps it even more. I get signal in a lot of places I didn't when I use to be on at&t or Sprint.

I worked 9 hours today and still had 70% left work and listened to flac files some YouTube on the ride home and am at 60% now. Epic........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but my wife's maxx has this icon (see pic) in the notification bar which looks like a battery? Anyone have an idea of what it is?

Were you asking what the little check mark symbol is next to the battery? It means you have an alarm set.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using XDA
    Guys.. keep using your phone and let it cycle through normal charges for about a week. You should have better battery life. Android takes a while to learn where to stop your battery, and it often will undercharge it during the first few cycles.

Should not be any problem. Android (and the battery) will stop the charge when it is full to protect the battery.
    I just read though all the posts...has anyone ever owned an extended battery lol. Just to clear up any confusion...
    Look, the maxx is a smartphone w a large battery. It lasts longer than any other android phone ever made. Period.
    You paid $300 for a very nice phone w an extended battery.
    You cant get another phone on the planet running android that's under 9mm thick and has this kinda battery life.
    I run my phone rooted. Froze 35 apps. Leave data on all the time. No 4g here so I leave it in cdma. Use wifi only when I am at the house. GPS sync etc stay on all the time. I use no task managers. I leave auto brightness on. I did enable screen power save or whatever its called in display setting. No smart actions. I shut wifi off when I leave for work.
    The razr maxx is the truth. It does everything and more that any dual core smart phone rocking a name brand, well made extended battery can/should do. 4 to 5 hour screen on time on 3g s what I think the avg should be. Obviously I may not use what some here use but I hammer my phone when Im able to. It hasn't let me down and the battery has gotten better after a few days of use.
    Don't listen to everyone and freak out about conditioning. Use the phone as a normal phone and what ever your usage is, charge it when you go to bed, wake up ad use it. Repeat cycle until it quits or you renew you contract. The battery will charge. The battery will learn so to speak, but a charge is a charge.
    If you are getting similar results look at your apps. Download better battery stats (Google it on xda) and look at partial wake locks. It will help you narrow down issues. 99.9v% of issues will be caused by the end user ad not the device going rouge, developing a mind of its own and eating your T-shirt.
    Good luck

That is an alarm that has been set.