[Q] Making Zune 'Wireless' Sync wireless...

Search This thread

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
So it's been complained about a few times that you cannot sync wirelessly without being plugged into ac power with a WIRE. I want real wireless sync on demand. Why? Why not. My friend with his fruit branded device can and my HD2 is better than that.

Yes I know.....
  • power conscious OS
  • you're within range of WiFi and therefore ac power
  • leave it overnight
  • Other MS branded noise
No.

I want wireless sync without having to plug in and preferably without waiting 10 mins. I just got home and I don't care if it annihilates the remainder of my battery because with WP7 OS my battery still has days of charge left anyway.

Ok, let's cut to the chase. I have been searching for a while with no luck; I cannot find anybody who has come up with a fix or a workaround to get my HD2 to sync wirelessly without being plugged into ac power. I do not know enough to make a fancy app to allow my phone to do this but am willing to bet there is some way to trick the OS into thinking it is plugged in to ac power so it will begin to wirelessly sync after 10 mins. It would be nice to skip the 10 minute wait as presumably this is just controlled by a 'plugged in' timer and 'sync enable' switch of sorts but one step at a time. Now I know this is a bit of a 'duct tape' workaround but if it works, it works. So my question is this:

:confused: Is there, that anybody knows of, a switch or registry setting to tell the phone it is on ac power, or that it can enable wireless sync (as would be switched on by the OS once plugged in for 10 mins). I think you can see where I'm going with this so any other information regarding USB trickery or fooling sensors/software etc would be welcomed.

In summary: How does the OS/HD2 know it's plugged in?

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
Having a really hard time getting anywhere with this, especially seeing as I cant even get my wireless sync working while plugged into ac power as it should do according to MS. Followed all MS guides/troubleshooting and nothing happens even after waiting the 10/15/30 mins, all settings double checked and reset. After reading a lot of feedback it seems like a very hit and miss feature.

As for the manual wireless sync WITHOUT being plugged into a charger I've found very little but I'm looking at all possible solutions. Here are my clues so far:

• The Zune HD DOES have true wireless sync capability (not charging) with the option to manually initiate it. There could be something to learn there if I had a Zune HD :rolleyes:
  • Several sources claim WP7 sends IGMP packet data to initiate the connection to the Zune software. I want to look into the possibility of replicating this data to manually initiate the sync.
  • I have found no obvious switches in the registry that could be of any use. The only Zune related entry that showed any activity when performing a sync (over cable) was "znetsyncstate (0)" ((1) when Zune connected via cable). This is probably just a flag to prevent other apps interfering with Zune's progress while performing sync.
  • I said that faking the phone being on charge would be an option but I don't have a clue how to do that. I wonder if it would be possible to create a replacement USB driver "serialusbfn.dll" which fakes the charging state which could be switched using an app similar to the USB video app. Very clunky I know.
  • I read on XDA a guy had created an external battery pack that could be connected to the HD2 via USB to charge the phone at either 500mA or 900mA to replicate both PC USB and AC Power adapter charge respectively. He discovered you could replicate the charging state by splicing certain wires in an old USB lead plugged into the phone. Obviously this would be a horrible hardware hack and not a feasible solution but interesting, nonetheless.
  • Interesting stuff here about Zune network detection and awareness which could be useful if creating an app to initiate the sync but no methods regarding the sync process that I can see.
My next step is to monitor network packets while the wireless sync takes place so I can see what WP7 and Zune are doing if I can get wireless sync to work at all :mad:

Anybody know anything about modifying USB drivers/DLLs that could help?

Also anybody know of issues with Zune wireless sync on WP7.8/HD2? Be nice to hear somebody has it working and I'm not wasting my time! ROM I'm using in my sig

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
Please help!

I've hit a brick wall. I cannot for the life of me get wireless sync to work even plugged into AC charger. Without this working I can't go any further. :mad:

Has anybody using Dynamics HD2O 2.00b WP7.8 8858 ROM used wireless sync successfully?

How about anybody on WP7 on the HD2?

Last edited:

soble

Jul 9, 2012
There was tweak app and it could able charge mode. it was made for joke (wireless charge) I think... But I can't remember name of app;;
Maybe found in bazaar or wphack??
Ah, I USED prs rom (its cooked rom based on pdaimatejam rom and im using pdaimatejam 8.7 ) and worked well. Exactly after 10 minute my hd started wireless sync but i can't remember that Zune software were running on my computer....

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
There was tweak app and it could able charge mode. it was made for joke (wireless charge) I think... But I can't remember name of app;;
Maybe found in bazaar or wphack??
Ah, I USED prs rom (its cooked rom based on pdaimatejam rom and im using pdaimatejam 8.7 ) and worked well. Exactly after 10 minute my hd started wireless sync but i can't remember that Zune software were running on my computer....

Thanks for the info, it's helpful to know that it is at least possible. I have still had no luck getting it to wireless sync with Dynamics HD2O 2.00b WP7.8 8858 ROM and I'm not getting much feedback regarding the wireless sync on that ROM thread. I'm loving the ROM too much to change just yet, so I may have to accept wireless sync doesn't like this ROM and put this project on the back burner until I switch ROMs.

I'll do some hunting and see what I can find on that tweak app you mentioned. If I can find it, it will be a great start!

Cheers