Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

Search This thread

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Completely opposite of my experiences. My nexus 10 was unusable until it was rooted and rommed. Completely stock it would crash and reboot multiple times a day. Using stock nexus 10 and dolphin it rebooted no less than 10 times while my girlfriend tried to do her homework. Most of these issues were fixed when i flashed CM10.1 but thats not usable. The thing even rebooted when not in use several times a day. And its widely accepted the stock browser chrome is useless at the moment. You shouldn't need to do tons of customizations to get the thing working. The only thing that helped was installing a custom rom and it still reboots here and there.

Sorry to hear that - must have been frustrating.

Have you tried the latest version of Chrome (not beta) along with 4.2.2 stock? I've had 4.2.2 running without a break for something like 125 hours now, and have used Chrome heavily, to the exclusion of all other browsers on my device (I have Chrome beta, Firefox beta, Ocean and Dolphin installed), and haven't had a single lag or freeze with Chrome and 4.2.2. I wonder if there are other issues differentiating between my experience and that of others, like you, who are experiencing freezes? (Wi-Fi setup perhaps?).

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
A tablet sold at walmart should be usable out of the box.

Totally agree. I found when I picked up a Note 10.1 weeks ago everything just worked. My wife has a Nexus 7 and while the forums were buzzing about how great it was I don't know how my wife could even use it. My point is I guess is that the fanboys rave about Nexus products being the best but sometimes not for the faint of heart. They want the flawless experience other products might bring. By the way I love my Nexus 10. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Sorry to hear that - must have been frustrating.

Have you tried the latest version of Chrome (not beta) along with 4.2.2 stock? I've had 4.2.2 running without a break for something like 125 hours now, and have used Chrome heavily, to the exclusion of all other browsers on my device (I have Chrome beta, Firefox beta, Ocean and Dolphin installed), and haven't had a single lag or freeze with Chrome and 4.2.2. I wonder if there are other issues differentiating between my experience and that of others, like you, who are experiencing freezes? (Wi-Fi setup perhaps?).

Here is the thing. I don't care if 4.2.2 fixed the issues. Its three months too late. I got the Nexus 10 in November. It may very well have fixed the issues but it doesnt take away the sour taste.

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
Here is the thing. I don't care if 4.2.2 fixed the issues. Its three months too late. I got the Nexus 10 in November. It may very well have fixed the issues but it doesnt take away the sour taste.

I got this way with Apple and the only way to deal with that kind of feeling is to jump ship. Its like I told my son, if you want an out of box experience get an iPad. The Note 10.1 doesn't have the resolution but it is an excellent tablet out of the box.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com

I can understand that, having had a similar feeling about every release of MS Windows for the past 30 years... :)

Regrettable that your experience was so disappointing, and I'm still at a loss to understand how some experiences could be so negative, when mine, and that of others I know (personally) has been so positive since early December. I did experience a few freezes and reboots early on as I noted, and in my experience these are a thing of the past now. I agree that it would be far better if products could be truly, thoroughly tested and debugged before public release, but unfortunately it seems that market pressures have driven many products out the door before they're really read for prime time. For all the acclaim, Apple has certainly had their share of "issues" impacting usability for tens of millions of users, and Microsoft is still the poster child for releasing early beta's as finished products. Although I wish Google had released an even more mature product, I'm finding their track record to be quite good in comparison to the rest of the market.

In the end, each of us will have to decide whether or not the state of a product is acceptable, and whether the benefits outweigh any costs or disappointments. That's part of the beauty of an open market (as long as it is, truly, open): we vote with our dollars. Crappy products that sacrifice customer loyalty rarely survive, while products that meet expectations and needs flourish.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I got this way with Apple and the only way to deal with that kind of feeling is to jump ship. Its like I told my son, if you want an out of box experience get an iPad. The Note 10.1 doesn't have the resolution but it is an excellent tablet out of the box.

S. t from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I had an iPad 3 and liked it but I figured it was time to switch to android so my note 2 and tablet could be integrated. I have learned the error of my ways and will be getting either the next iPad, next note 10.1 or any windows tablet/ultra book that catches my eye. No more Nexuses.

boominski

Aug 20, 2012
Well I think it should be pretty clear that I'm not trolling. I have already said that I prefer Android to iOS, and that the N10 is far superior to the iPad in every respect (my defective screens notwithstanding). I also have a large dislike for Apple control freakery and really hope that Android tablets take off. I have also said that I can live with the wifi issues, creky back, and (moderate) light bleed. It's the uneven screen that's th killer. I read a lot. A reasonably even screen is a necessity. Does that sound like being picky? In contrast, my Nexus 7 experience has been flawless, while others report the same kind of problems I am having here, so I can see it from both sides and can see why some people think it strange to get 5 defects in a row. I also believe people when they say they have a great device. Which is why I have persisted with the exchanges. I also recommended it to one of TNTs telephone operators when arranging an earlier RMA. They said they were tempted to get a Nexus or an iPad, and I said they should go with the N10. I wouldn't say that now though.

Techie2012

Feb 1, 2012
First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

But...

I am through with this piece of crap that passes for the Nexus 10.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV

tumblr_m9vy55uqBO1qzmowao1_500.gif

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
I had an iPad 3 and liked it but I figured it was time to switch to android so my note 2 and tablet could be integrated. I have learned the error of my ways and will be getting either the next iPad, next note 10.1 or any windows tablet/ultra book that catches my eye. No more Nexuses.

I think the iPad is great for my grandparents or my mom who has a hard enough time working the tv remote ; )

Myself I prefer something a little more advance to play with.

Simple devices for simple minds.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I think the iPad isreat for my grandparents or my mom who has a hard enough time working the tv remote ; )

Myself I prefer something a little more advance to play with.

Simple devices for simple minds.

I'm far from someone who can't work a TV remote. My tablet is fine now because I flashed cm10.1. The point I'm arguing is that if its sold at Walmart it should have an experience the average person can pick up and enjoy. The issue is this tablet does not in many cases. You can see by the amount of dissatisfied people in this forum. Never before have I seen so many problem threads on an android device in xda since the thunderbolt. Go into the note 2 forum and ask if people like it and it will be a universal yes. That is not the case here.

mermoid

Feb 7, 2013
I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I'm with you on this one. I have two friends with N10s, one is perfect and the other has very very slight light bleed in one corner (well within what both he and I would consider acceptable). Whereas my first unit has serious light bleed, wifi issues, dead pixels and my second one has appalling light bleed and a yellow tinted screen :-/ it's difficult to comprehend.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
I'm with you on this one. I have two friends with N10s, one is perfect and the other has very very slight light bleed in one corner (well within what both he and I would consider acceptable). Whereas my first unit has serious light bleed, wifi issues, dead pixels and my second one has appalling light bleed and a yellow tinted screen :-/ it's difficult to comprehend.
There might be different quality batches ranging from "near-perfect", "good enough", and "you'd have to be crazy not to RMA this" :p

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
They must be sending out RMA'ed units again. It's the only way this makes sense.

The inconsistency of anecdotal reports makes me wonder if their overall operation is partially sub-contracted out for fulfillment, with different organizations handling different regions -- and providing significantly different levels of service quality. As others have seen here (and no doubt my posts are annoying, though inadvertently, to those with issues), I've had a great experience with my N10 and the two N7's we got for my kids at Christmas -- all 3 devices are pretty much perfect on the first try; no need for RMA, returns, etc. Almost feels like a different organization is servicing those who report receiving open boxes and bad devices.

Last edited:

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

im really excited about the Ubuntu for Nexus 10 announcement today...
id hold on if i was you, looks like it will be fantastic.

BTW, there is something wrong with everything, if you look close enough.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Good point in general - although it's important to remember that this phenomenon works both ways. Online forums, as a key component of social media, are recognized as being potent tools to help shape public opinion and perception. This can work for a product, or against it. Having created and run an online gaming community several years ago, with about half a million members and 25,000 visitors a day, I recall all too well how "sock puppets" in our own chat rooms as well as those of other gaming sites attempted to trash us for non-existent issues, effectively attempting to steer users away from us and reduce our market share; quite an eye-opening experience!

As others have pointed out here, online "experience" posts can certainly be helpful, but both negative and positive posts on a topic should be viewed as you might evaluate any kind of anonymous information: as anecdotal data points that may, or may not, be accurate, and that may - or may not - help you make an informed decision. If nothing else, whether you find the pros or cons more credible, these discussions will help you identify topics of interest to you that are probably worth further independent research. Keep an open mind -- but read with a critical eye.

Sock puppets? What are the people called where they swoop into a negative forum and proclaim how magnificent something is and how them, their family, coworkers and people they hardly know have no issues? :p

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Also I noticed a week or so ago I have a smudge or something on the screen. What do you think? Do I have approval to RMA or is this minor? It doesn't bother me in daily use as I don't game or watch movies on it. It is concerning for resale though. Also is this light on the edges typical? Again, it doesn't bother me in real use. This is at 100% in the dark running a backlight bleed app....they really do have an app for everything.

It looks worse in real life while booting.

Sorry for two posts....couldn't find attachment button in edit post mode.

Attachments

• 100percent.jpg
    100percent.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 186

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Also I noticed a week or so ago I have a smudge or something on the screen. What do you think? Do I have approval to RMA or is this minor? It doesn't bother me in daily use as I don't game or watch movies on it. It is concerning for resale though. Also is this light on the edges typical? Again, it doesn't bother me in real use. This is at 100% in the dark running a backlight bleed app....they really do have an app for everything.

I would have RMAd that the second I got it. That's horrible.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Sock puppets? What are the people called where they swoop into a negative forum and proclaim how magnificent something is and how them, their family, coworkers and people they hardly know have no issues? :p

I think that's the first time I've been accused of swooping... Sorry, I guess I missed the rule forbidding posts that might present a counter point to your personal perspective.

If you'll take a bit of time to actually read my posts, I think you'll find that they're pretty calm and balanced. My own experience is, genuinely, different than the negatives posted here. That doesn't mean I'm disregarding them or disrespecting the posters. But it suggests to me that the negative experiences shared here are far from universal. Many people visit and lurk in forums like this specifically to learn about products they are considering purchasing. Since my own experience, and that of several folks I know, differs, I felt it might be worthwhile to share that as well. My hope is that casual forum visitors will get a more balanced view of the topic than they might if only negative points were allowed in the thread, regardless of others' experiences.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Strange. When I zoom in, it looks like there are also darker blotches around the light area. Is that the case? Also... I'm assuming this is on the inside, where you can't get to it. I'd find something like that very distracting. Is it a smudge, or possibly a pressure area from something behind the screen?

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I would have RMAd that the second I got it. That's horrible.

LOL...and 2 more will say I'm whining.

I think that's the first time I've been accused of swooping... Sorry, I guess I missed the rule forbidding posts that might present a counter point to your personal perspective.

I didn't name names.

If you'll take a bit of time to actually read my posts, I think you'll find that they're pretty calm and balanced. My own experience is, genuinely, different than the negatives posted here. That doesn't mean I'm disregarding them or disrespecting the posters. But it suggests to me that the negative experiences shared here are far from universal. Many people visit and lurk in forums like this specifically to learn about products they are considering purchasing. Since my own experience, and that of several folks I know, differs, I felt it might be worthwhile to share that as well. My hope is that casual forum visitors will get a more balanced view of the topic than they might if only negative points were allowed in the thread, regardless of others' experiences.

I got no beef with you and agree you are coming around to seem balanced. I have no idea what others experience was. It really doesn't matter in the long wrong. My experience on 4.2.1 was sh1t. I don't care if the whole world posted that it was great it wouldn't change my experience. I think that is the thing everyone that is only smelling roses is missing here. If Google shipped you a device that you couldn't believe they sent you for $400-500 your tune would change and rightfully so. Even if you think you are changing perspective or balancing the equation or whatever it still doesn't matter if they get one that is jacked up. They are gonna say, damn, just like the forums said.

In fairness 4.2.2 has straightened mine out so far. However, after reading some posts of others and the issue list it seems like the clock is ticking on my uptime.

Strange. When I zoom in, it looks like there are also darker blotches around the light area. Is that the case? Also... I'm assuming this is on the inside, where you can't get to it. I'd find something like that very distracting. Is it a smudge, or possibly a pressure area from something behind the screen?

Dude, I got no idea. I don't see dark blotches on the screen just the lighter smudge. I pushed on the back of the screen a little and it doesn't get worse? Like I said, I don't do dark movies or games, mainly reading so on a mostly white background you don't notice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my two cents

When you got the second sample and were still unhappy then it was masochistic to keep trying. You should have given up and ended the pain way before getting to the fifth device. Clearly it is not designed to the quality you require and most, if not all, of the samples were probably typical of the quality of everyone else's.

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Many others, including myself, are not sensitive to the defects you point out. I don't care about an occasional reboot (which only happened in the first day for me), the light bleed, case cracking sounds, etc. Different people have different needs.

You were asking the support people to make the product right for you, which is probably impossible given that particular design. How do you expect them to behave? They certainly aren't going to say the nexus 10 is **** and they also can't say that you are wrong. The nexus 10 is not **** for most people and you are not wrong for wanting a particular level of quality.

To make a long story short you should walk away and spend your energy finding something better instead of banging your head against a lost cause.
    You know, I can see your point, but I can't see how it merits a new thread here.

What do we gain from reading it? What do you gain from us having read it? (I can totally understand what you gained by writing it, but why not pin in on a wall, be it real or virtual?).
    He is sharing his bad experience. Anyone looking to buy a Nexus 10 should be aware of both the good side, and bad sides.

But...

I am through with this piece of crap that passes for the Nexus 10.

Since buying this thing when it first came out I have had to put up with dodgy wifi connections, creaky flexing back panels, random freezes and reboots, and - worst of all - deal-breakingly poor quality control on the screens. I have been through several RMAs with Google Play (to the point where they are refusing to send me any more replacements - and at the moment they are not even replying to my emails) and am now on my 5th device. All of the devices have had unacceptable levels of light bleed, and - worse still - blotchy screens with uneven yellow or blue tints. I have been through nightmares with the Play store and TNT trying to get devices returned and shipped, and have a pile of email correspondence so long that it could be turned into a Peter Jackson trilogy. The Play store is staffed by some of the greatest morons that I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have constantly been given wrong or misleading information, and have had to harass and badger them at every stage to get anything done. I still have a device listed as 'pending' on my Google Wallet that has long since been returned, despite being told on numerous occasions that an 'expert' was going to remove it.

For anyone with a perfect device, or who is just happy with their's however it is: I am genuinely pleased for you. This could, and more importantly, should, have been an amazing piece of kit. But as it is, my time with the Nexus 10 has been, without any shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst customer experience I have had in my entire life, by a long country mile.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV
    Doesn't matter where you get it, All N10's have a large varying degree of defects it seems.

I'm not discounting the reports here about problems, but I have to disagree with that statement. I've had my N10 since early December and it's been excellent. A few odd freezes in Chrome early on, but when I switched to Chrome beta they almost completely disappeared. Since installing 4.2.2 I've had over 100 hours uptime without a single hiccup. I've been using stock Chrome (not beta) since the update, and it's been great. Also: no light bleed, no creaking, no screen lift, etc.

I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I feel bad for those here with bad experiences, but I'm having trouble generalizing that to the product in general, when it would seem to me to be superb. Again, no disrespect to those with problems, I just have trouble imagining that this represents the product in general.

I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.