roghaj

Apr 23, 2008
Anaheim
Current status:

Has su permissions
Able to run a custom recovery
Able to write to partitions
Able to flash signed and unsigned update.zips
Able to run froyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a bit curious about what else can be done. I know I was super excited the first time I learned that the EVO was rooted (though skeptical). Then I found out that is was only a little rooted. Now it looks totally rooted. Is there any more rooting possible. Is there anything else that is going to end up added to the above list? I'm happy I am not getting the incredible :) I just hope sprint coverage measures up here in Anaheim (and bring on the 4G soon).

clayginn

Jan 5, 2010
This is awesome but I hope they hold the release. Most likely there is a patch in the works for the Front camera issue. I would hate to see the 4th come and find a patch on the first week that also closes this off.

They are also working on 2.2 and I think with all the bad press both HTC and sprint got with the Hero this is going to come out quickly. Last thing they both want is bad press on new phones coming out in late June and July and their Flag ship is behind.

I know that on the 4th I will take the phone away from the salesman at Rat Shack and tell him I will run the updates. when i leave the store and sitting in my Car I will install my screen protector (Boxwave) and then if release I will root right there.

The way I see it this is not a good thing for HTC or Sprint that they are releasing a new phone that is already rooted. For sprint they where hoping to get that 29.99 for the HotSpot. who in their right mind would pay 30 a month when you can root and get free. Yes I know it may not work day one but it will not take long. Not to mention it looked bad for HTC and Sprint that the Hero was running fine and stable on custom 2.1 ROMs but they could not get it released. 2.2 will be on the EVO (if it is not already Toast) with in days or weeks. This also will not look good for the company's.

I guess what I am trying to say is Patience , Timing is everything :D

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
The way I see it this is not a good thing for HTC or Sprint that they are releasing a new phone that is already rooted. For sprint they where hoping to get that 29.99 for the HotSpot. who in their right mind would pay 30 a month when you can root and get free.

honestly, i would be very surprised if more than 10% of EVO owners root their phone, I don't think sprint is too worried. iPhone less than 10% are jailbroken; and while granted, the people in this forum are much more tech savy, the "masses" aren't going to go out to root it. of course, I reserve the right to be wrong;)

extrafuzzyllama

Jan 7, 2010
Re: {how to root your htc evo} <coming soon to a thread near you>

I doubt HTC or sprint cared if it got.rooted. did they really not think it wouldn't get rooted after giving away those evos to developers?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

ljmichael

Jan 6, 2010
I am also up for donating to the android project. If all of us chip in $50, I bet we would have a completely functional and optimized 2.2 on launch day.:D

clayginn

Jan 5, 2010
honestly, i would be very surprised if more than 10% of EVO owners root their phone, I don't think sprint is too worried. iPhone less than 10% are jailbroken; and while granted, the people in this forum are much more tech savy, the "masses" aren't going to go out to root it. of course, I reserve the right to be wrong;)

I would agree except that Sprint upped the ante with charging the 29.99 for HotSpot. If Rooted produces a free option then that 10% could go to 105 of total and 50% of the people want to use the HotSpot. 30 a month is a lot, for me 360 a year just for a HotSpot is nuts and I start looking for a free way, but I am almost always wrong for what it is worth ;)

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
very nice Toast! Thanks for your hard work....looking fwd to cooking/flashing
First Calk, now OMJ from the Diamond finally moving to an android device. I left my diamond for the hero and wasn't disappointed. Can't wait for the Evo. Realistically no one really knows what Sprint/HTC's true intentions are other than themselves. We can only speculate. From the release on engadget -> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/evo-4g-on-sale-at-8am-on-june-4th-with-one-month-free-4g-mobile/ Sprint is fully aware of the Dev community and they acknowledge there will be other ways to enable Hotspot on the Evo however they try to persuade people into paying for theirs by saying theirs is the only one that will be truly safe and secure. :rolleyes: Even though we will mostly likely have root day 1 for those who remain on the stock rom will at least be able to use 4G only for the Hotspot for free for at least one month.

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
First Calk, now OMJ from the Diamond finally moving to an android device. I left my diamond for the hero and wasn't disappointed. Can't wait for the Evo. Realistically no one really knows what Sprint/HTC's true intentions are other than themselves. We can only speculate. From the release on engadget -> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/evo-4g-on-sale-at-8am-on-june-4th-with-one-month-free-4g-mobile/ Sprint is fully aware of the Dev community and they acknowledge there will be other ways to enable Hotspot on the Evo however they try to persuade people into paying for theirs by saying theirs is the only one that will be truly safe and secure. :rolleyes: Even though we will mostly likely have root day 1 for those who remain on the stock rom will at least be able to use 4G only for the Hotspot for free for at least one month.

+1

Realistically they will sell about 2 million+ EVO units in the first 6 months and of those only 50,000 or so people will understand enough to root their phone and enable tethering. I dont think anyone in the corporate world is that worried about the masses bypassing the $29.00. Corporate users will pay for it no matter what. I can only imagine that the $29 fee is being mostly sent to their clearwire subsidiary to cover the loss of potential subscribers to that service. Sprint corporate is probably only interested in putting up a simple effort to control that and in the end doesnt really care as long as the mothership has more cell subscribers in general.

Its Microsoft "Piracy as Marketing" Licensing... Microsoft has the potential to stop a bulk of piracy of its operating system and office, but they dont. They put up a simple "due-diligence" activation scheme and reduce the pirate to legit ratio to a manageable amount and probably write that off as a marketing expense.

Want an example? Palm Pre is able to get SU "rooted" out-of-the-box since launch day on sprint (been using tethering on it for over 9 months) and no updates from either party have changed that. * Well someone did have the Adhoc mode removed from the device driver early on, but it was a feeble attempt that was never repeated. *

Last edited:

Joecrack305

Dec 8, 2009
50,000 rooted out of 2 million? hell no thats way to high lol, working for sprint or anything technology based ive really gotten to see how clueless people are. i had a customer come in and want a palm pixi because its "new" and her husband got mad at me because i said thats why you want this phone? lol it is what it is but i seriously doubt that many roots your giving way to much credit

zippa71385

Mar 3, 2010
Eastcoast
50,000 rooted out of 2 million? hell no thats way to high lol, working for sprint or anything technology based ive really gotten to see how clueless people are. i had a customer come in and want a palm pixi because its "new" and her husband got mad at me because i said thats why you want this phone? lol it is what it is but i seriously doubt that many roots your giving way to much credit

I feel you man, I work for t-mobile... Its like how the average middle aged kid (18-25 id say) want a "blueberry" or a "burrberry" sometimes a "blackberry" just because everyone else has one of those 3! lol The general public is an idiot, but they pay my bills and inevitably get me free phones from manufacturers! :) I love them dearly, and treat them like a 90yr woman with her first samsung flip!

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007

50K based on the total downloads of the "Preware" homebrew application (you need to install in Dev mode on the Pre): http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/preware. Im expecting the EVO to be an even bigger hit obviously.

I dont blame you for thinking that number is high, but in reality judging by the people you see in retail stores is a fault of adverse selection. Last time I was at a sprint store was to pick up the pre for launch (and I felt like an idiot cause I should have been smart enough to wait 2 hours till the store was empty and still had a lot of phones) ;)

Last edited:

notown775

Nov 11, 2009
Reno
even with all the adriod forums combined.. (all phones included) there aren't 50,000 people. And just count the people getting EVO's who know how to root... is way less, i say <15000. (roooted)

EDIT:

BTW how do i go about buy you (toast) and fresh coffee?

Last edited:

Joecrack305

Dec 8, 2009
Re: {how to root your htc evo} <coming soon to a thread near you>

Yea people are stupid it is what is

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App HTC evo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO ROOT YOUR HTC EVO

DO NOT USE A RUU FROM SPRINT IF U WANNA MAINTAIN ROOT. WAIT FOR ME OR SOMEONE HERE TO MAKE A ROOT UPDATE.ZIP.

Major thanx for those who helped:

keishou (for the rooted build. without it none of this would be possible)
    maejrep (for testing and modding a recovery for the EVO)
    Flipz (for hosting the files)
    Paul (for his recovery work on the desire and legend)
    Amon_RA (for his recovery source on github)

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD WILL DO:

- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
    - Allow you to flash custom roms
    - Boot into a custom recovery
    - Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD SADLY WONT ENABLE YOU TO DO:

- Write to system or recovery while in android
    - Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

download files below:

- PC36IMG.zip

- evorecovery

INSTUCTIONS FOR ROOTING:

- Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard

Code:
    adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

- Power off the phone
    - Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE bootloader screen.
    - After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 - 60 seconds to finish)
    - It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
    - When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN... SAY YES
    - At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
    - YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
    - rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
    - plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:

Code:
    adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip

RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS:

- Extract the evorecovery.zip to your desktop
    - plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop
    - In a shell:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

- this will reboot your EVO into recovery mode. at this point turn your attention to the directory u extracted the evorecovery.zip to.

Code:
    For Windows XP ~~>  Run recovery-windows.bat
    For Vista and Windows 7 do it as Admin

- in a shell do:

Code:
    For Linux ~~> ./recovery-linux.sh

- at this point turn your attention to the phone and navigate to create a Nandriod Backup. you can now flash custom roms, write, and make changes to system.

- to flash a custom rom put the rom on the root of your sdcard. wipe data, dalvic cache and chose the option to flash update.zip from sdcard.

RECOVERY NAVIGATION:

-
    Code:
    Volume up/down moves through the list and Power selects.

RECOVERY SOURCE:

- http://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery/tree/supersonic

Code:
    git clone git://github.com/jhansche/amonra_bootable_recovery.git
    git checkout supersonic

Once you have finished and rooted your device. please flash another rooted rom from the forum. Flipz has made a root build of the rom that came on the device. it can be found HERE. you will need to wipe data and dalvic cache before flashing this. And again because i cant stress it enough... DO NOT accept a OTA update from Sprint or use a RUU, or u risk lossing root forever, and ever :p

HOW TO RETURN BACK TO STOCK BUILD:

-Easy peasy- run the RUU in the first post of this thread. this is the only RUU that after flashing, you will still be able to root using this method. link below:

ROOT SAFE STOCK RUU
    Can you remove apps from Android mode using root explorer? or do you have to remove them in the recovery using ADB?