MX Player Crashes Randomly When Playing TWiT on Nexus 7

Search This thread

dalef77

Aug 17, 2014
MX Player is crashing at random times when playing the TWiT (This Week in Tech) live stream at bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high . Usually the video just stops playing and MX Player closes a little after 20 minutes although sometimes the video can play for approximately 30 minutes before crashing.

This was not a problem until recently. In the past, the TWiT live stream could play for hours without MX Player crashing (the video played until I closed MX Player). This problem seemed to occur after a recent update to MX Player Version 1.7.30 and the installation of the MX Player Codec (Tegra 3).

This issue is occurring on a Google Nexus 7 2012 (first generation) tablet. The Video Properties are as follows:
  • Resolution: 854 x 480
  • Video Codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
  • Frame rate: 30
  • Audio Codec: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
  • Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
  • Channels: Stereo

I have soft reset the Nexus 7 numerous times, deleted the cache of MX Player and other running apps, uninstalled MX Player and the MX Player Codec, reinstalled the MX Player and MX Player Codec, and reset MX Player's settings all without success in solving this problem.

The results from the MX Log Collector app are pasted below. In addition, the log.txt.gz generated from the MX Log Collector app and the bug report generated by MX Player are attached.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

=========================
Manufacturer: asus
Model: Nexus 7
Brand: google
Version: 4.4.4 (REL)
Build: google/nakasi/grouper:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys
Kernel: Linux version 3.1.10-g1e42d16 (android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.7 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 13 11:33:27 PDT 2014
CPU: 1 core(s) 1.3 GHz (family:0 features:0)
CPU architecture: 7
CPU features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
Board platform: tegra3
Instruction set: armeabi-v7a (+armeabi)
Resolution: 800 x 1205
Available screen size (DIP): 600 x 880 (smallest: 600)
Tablet: false
Screen size: Large
Density: 1.3312501 (213)
Font scale: 1.0
Hardware main button: false
Locale: en_US
Total memory: 998092 kB (998092kB)
Free memory: 33516 kB

Attachments

• log.txt.gz
    4.2 KB · Views: 9
  • report_2014-08-16_214007.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011
MX Player is crashing at random times when playing the TWiT (This Week in Tech) live stream at bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high . Usually the video just stops playing and MX Player closes a little after 20 minutes although sometimes the video can play for approximately 30 minutes before crashing.

This was not a problem until recently. In the past, the TWiT live stream could play for hours without MX Player crashing (the video played until I closed MX Player). This problem seemed to occur after a recent update to MX Player Version 1.7.30 and the installation of the MX Player Codec (Tegra 3).

This issue is occurring on a Google Nexus 7 2012 (first generation) tablet. The Video Properties are as follows:
  • Resolution: 854 x 480
  • Video Codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
  • Frame rate: 30
  • Audio Codec: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)
  • Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
  • Channels: Stereo

I have soft reset the Nexus 7 numerous times, deleted the cache of MX Player and other running apps, uninstalled MX Player and the MX Player Codec, reinstalled the MX Player and MX Player Codec, and reset MX Player's settings all without success in solving this problem.

The results from the MX Log Collector app are pasted below. In addition, the log.txt.gz generated from the MX Log Collector app and the bug report generated by MX Player are attached.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Manufacturer: asus
Model: Nexus 7
Brand: google
Version: 4.4.4 (REL)
Build: google/nakasi/grouper:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys
Kernel: Linux version 3.1.10-g1e42d16 (android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.7 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 13 11:33:27 PDT 2014
CPU: 1 core(s) 1.3 GHz (family:0 features:0)
CPU architecture: 7
CPU features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
Board platform: tegra3
Instruction set: armeabi-v7a (+armeabi)
Resolution: 800 x 1205
Available screen size (DIP): 600 x 880 (smallest: 600)
Tablet: false
Screen size: Large
Density: 1.3312501 (213)
Font scale: 1.0
Hardware main button: false
Locale: en_US
Total memory: 998092 kB (998092kB)
Free memory: 33516 kB
@dalef77
Would you check latest test version? https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build
I am not sure if your issue is fixed but codecs are upgraded to latest ones. I hope your issue is fixed.

Feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks

dalef77

Aug 17, 2014
Problem Remains

@dalef77
Would you check latest test version? https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build
I am not sure if your issue is fixed but codecs are upgraded to latest ones. I hope your issue is fixed.

Feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks

I installed both the beta of MX Player and the beta of Tegra3 Codec. Unfortunately, the problem remains.

The log file from the MX Log Collector app is attached.

Attachments

• 2014-08-17_log.txt.gz
    6.7 KB · Views: 7

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011
I installed both the beta of MX Player and the beta of Tegra3 Codec. Unfortunately, the problem remains.

The log file from the MX Log Collector app is attached.
According to the log, you played http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high twice.
But both playback were finished successfully in MX Player's point of view. It looks like network connection was closed shortly.

This might be a network or server problem. So I tried this video using v1.7.28 which is the last version Tegra3 is not separated. But video was closed in minutes in the same manner just like v.1.7.30. I think this is a kind of server issue.

If you wish to check it yourself, here is links to previous version:

1.7.27:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download/backup/1-7-27

1.7.28:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download/backup/1-7-28

Also all old verion can be downloaded here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/system/app/pages/subPages?path=/download/backup

dalef77

Aug 17, 2014
According to the log, you played bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high twice.
But both playback were finished successfully in MX Player's point of view. It looks like network connection was closed shortly.

This might be a network or server problem. So I tried this video using v1.7.28 which is the last version Tegra3 is not separated. But video was closed in minutes in the same manner just like v.1.7.30. I think this is a kind of server issue.

Thank you for confirming that the problem is related to the server of the video and not MX Player.

In the interim, I tested several other video players and they experienced the same problem. If the problem continues, I will contact TWiT, as the source of the issue is probably with them or with the BitGravity service that they are using.

Thanks again for your diligence in tracking down the source of this difficulty.