Back with Samsung after 2 years with HTC

Search This thread

CDKJudoka

Nov 22, 2010
Wyomissing, PA
After two years with my EVO 4G (OG) it was starting to have some hiccups here and there. Mostly because of the power surges that came into my house and fried out 11 250 joule surge protectors, an LED TV, 2 FiOS STB's, the FiOS D-Mark, and a microwave. Charging my phone during the last strike from my local electric company had caused it to start running strangely. Or at least that is my theory.

Well, I decided I needed a new phone. I was lucky enough that I was due for an upgrade, so off to Best Buy I went. I was seriously toying with the idea of getting an SG3. My brother in law has one, as well as my wife's cousins. I thought it was a great phone and light years ahead of the EVO. Don't get me wrong, my EVO has served me phenomenally, but I wanted something nicer. I have 2 Epic 4Gs in my house, wife and son, plus I have had the Fascinate, the Moment and the Transform, so I know Samsung makes some great devices.

I walk into the Mobile center in Best Buy and gravitate towards the Sprint table and started looking at the SG3. There was nothing that really jumped out at me and there were no more HTC phones in the lineup. Sad, but never a deal breaker. Then I see it, the Galaxy Note II. I pick it up and it feels very comfortable in my hand. I am a big guy so I feel like an iPhone get's lost in my hand and this was the Goldilocks phone. Now for the moment of truth. Do they have the Titanium in stock? My EVO is white and so is my iPhone. The Note in white was just too much white. And not the cool Stormtrooper white with black accents like my EVO has, but pure stark white. That wouldn't do. The sales person approached and asked me if I needed help. I told him I wanted the GN2 in Titanium and he gave me an ashen look. He mentioned that they were on national back order, but he would look anyway. Lo and behold, he pulls out, according to him, the last Titanium GN2 in the country.

Everything goes swimmingly. They have the phone advertised for $299 for an upgrade, but I had seen it in Radio Shack for $199. I never thought to take a picture of the ad before I went to BB, but oh well. I told the new salesperson that was helping I would come back to get the $100 credit. She said she had a lot of luck beating Amazon Wireless' prices. She pulled up the site and I was able to get the Note for $199. Score! She got me up and activated in about 10 mins and I was out the door with my new toy.

Now, I swore to myself that I would test drive it for a week or two before rooting at and throwing a custom ROM. Too bad that lasted about 5 mins. I was able to root it even after doing the MA7 update. I am currently a lab rat because I actually like the stock TouchWiz. That may change but for the moment I like the Team Nocturnal ROM (great job guys!!) Battery life on this is insane!!! I charged it to full last night and took it off at about 10PM. I use it as a white noise generator and forgot to set the sleep timer, so it was going from midnight until I woke up at 7AM and I still had 90% battery. Awesome!!

I will probably spend most of my work day playing and tweaking it.

Talos4

Jul 6, 2010
What method did you use for ROOT?

...Don't get me wrong, my EVO has served me phenomenally, but I wanted something nicer...

Same boat here, DIE HARD EVO OG supporter. Phone still rocks, although requires some tweaking. I'm on my way to Sprint store this afternoon. What method did you use for root?

austin420

Jan 8, 2009
kansas city mo
thats one hell of a post just to say you got a note 2. i think that everyone should do that. it would make the forums a super great place to get info about who has the note 2. i think we should just give up on developing and just announce ourselves. to me it just seems like a better use of bandwidth. i dont know. i wish i could just read welcome posts all day. :veryfun: :sarcasm:

mexiking713

Sep 2, 2010
Houston, TX
Welcome to the team :thumbup: I come from all three generations of the evo. Its so nice to be able to root your phone without all the hastle. I wouldn't go back to htc even after seeing the htc one. Also, Samsung and Sprint have been doing an awesome job of upgrading their phones. I'll be waiting on the Note 3.

Sent from a galaxy note 2 far far away...

CDKJudoka

Nov 22, 2010
Wyomissing, PA
Same boat here, DIE HARD EVO OG supporter. Phone still rocks, although requires some tweaking. I'm on my way to Sprint store this afternoon. What method did you use for root?

I used MSKip's Galaxy Note II Toolkit Ver. 3.0. It was super-easy. It will still root even if you updated to 4.1.2 (MA7) I was rooted in under 5 minutes. (Excellent job MSKip!! :good: )

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957155

Reactions: Talos4

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
Welcome to the team :thumbup: I come from all three generations of the evo. Its so nice to be able to root your phone without all the hastle. I wouldn't go back to htc even after seeing the htc one. Also, Samsung and Sprint have been doing an awesome job of upgrading their phones. I'll be waiting on the Note 3.

Sent from a galaxy note 2 far far away...

I got all 3 generations of Evos sitting on my desk right now too. I am not going back to HTC after buying the Note 2. Samsung just does the software so much better. Like why on my evo with 16gb of internal storage do I have to move my apps between a 2gb app partition and a 8gb internal partition

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

sparytrainor

Jan 16, 2011
Morton
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
It is scary how many of us there are here . HTC hasc really taking a dive Thanks to this phone.. I know myself I am very happy with the Jump.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Hey, I remember seeing u on the elte forums.. I jumped to the note 2, which I never thought I'd do, and 2 weeks later im still ecstatic!! I can definitely say Sammy has me hooked on some odin. So much better than having to brick my phone for root!! Thank u sammy..

GhettoBSD

Oct 9, 2007
I also cone from a evo 4g. As a matter of fact, I bought the 3d for my wife and another 4g for my mom to use. Same deal here, 4g just want cutting it anymore and the note had been out for a little bit on sprint. So I got it and it's crazy impressive. The weight and the feel of it at first compared to htc devices wad misleading at first, but a good case and some time with it had made me a fan of Samsung.

My buddy at work has the htc dna and it feels like you could beat someone with it, but that's pretty much where the advantages end. This is the way to go. Fast, responsive, uses a stylus like the good old Palm days, and the battery life is amazing.

I've been with htc since the mogul days and have been a big fan of theirs, but always had to buy the extended batteries. I think the stock battery will do for this phone.

Samsung note ii

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
I had the og evo and the 3vo and after the locked bootloader BS and htcs backpedaling on opening up to development, I abandoned them and boycotted them. I won't buy any more HTC products, especially after them threatening lawsuits for ppl hosting RUUs and modified sense roms. They have become too applesque for my taste. Samsung has been good about ease of access for development (unlocked bootloaders and easy to root, just implemented a simple custom flash counter) and releasing source almost at the same time an OTA starts being pushed.

I like to break stuff! :D

coolwater22

Jan 9, 2009
I too have come from using all htc phones (mogul, tp2, and evo4g) and I must say this is one heck if a phone. Love everything about it. The battery lasts me as long as the batteries from all my htc phones combined. Everyonw that I have showed it too have been amazed by it..

Cant get enough of this phone :)

rruss

Aug 3, 2011
Also a ex evolte user made the jump the days ago this phone is off the chain I honestly feel like I may go my entire contact with this one!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thats one hell of a post just to say you got a note 2. i think that everyone should do that. it would make the forums a super great place to get info about who has the note 2. i think we should just give up on developing and just announce ourselves. to me it just seems like a better use of bandwidth. i dont know. i wish i could just read welcome posts all day. :veryfun: :sarcasm:
    Hi there, another ex-HTC-Alphabet-Soup-User. And welcome :)

Lots of ex-EVO4G users in here. :victory:
    Hi there, another ex-HTC-Alphabet-Soup-User. And welcome :)

Lots of ex-EVO4G users in here. :victory:

It is scary how many of us there are here . HTC hasc really taking a dive Thanks to this phone.. I know myself I am very happy with the Jump.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
    Glad you found your way to lab rats! Feel free to post in our thread :)

I used MSKip's Galaxy Note II Toolkit Ver. 3.0. It was super-easy. It will still root even if you updated to 4.1.2 (MA7) I was rooted in under 5 minutes. (Excellent job MSKip!! :good: )

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957155