[Kernel-TW-ND3][6/1/14] BeastMode 1.0 Enhanced Stock/SpeedBurst (OC/UV/GPU OC)

Search This thread

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hi guys, here is my first kernel for the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi edition.

I'll update this post to look prettier and with more information regarding the kernel but for now--here it is. This kernel is based solely on stock with tweaks. I do this to keep it as stable as the stock kernel as possible. There will be no features added that may impact stability because I am also keeping it as close to Samsung source as possible. But it does include a few things: Overclocking up to 2.72GHz, GPU overclocking support, voltage table support, removed debugging, and random tweaks here and there.

Please remember that all phones are not equal and choosing a frequency over stock (2.26GHz) can introduce instabilities, but it is not due to a crappy kernel or crappy coding. I've tried my best to calculate my overclocking voltages based on the stock voltage table.

Also, please leave feedback on your experience, requests, dislikes, pretty much anything you can so I can know what I need to do with this kernel to improve it.

For those who want to see what CPU BIN you have (the higher the better) run this command, from adb or terminal: cat /sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/soc_pvs

Post your results and I will try my best to reply to them with information on your particular CPU. The results will be a single number ranging 0-6.

Huge thanks to imoseyon and morfic for all of their help, support, and general awesomeness.

Other thanks: Faux123.

SpeedBurst? Yup! You may notice that your CPU spikes up to 2.3GHz (Roar) or 2.41GHz (Rage) occasionally. This is "SpeedBurst," and is meant to give you that extra burst of speed when you need it most lol. These two frequencies are given the most performance increases because it is assumed that most, if not all Tab Pro 8.4s can handle it since it is such a small step up from the stock 2.26GHz frequency.

Features:
Overclocking support. (up to 2.72GHz)
Voltage table support.
GPU overclocking up to 600MHz.
NTFS Support.
Interactive and OnDemand governor tweaks with cpufreq_screen_off support.
FauxSound.
More.

BeastMode is now being released with 3 versions:
CALM: This is essentially CatMode but with all other non OC/UV related tweaks done as well. This means no L2 or bus changes, but all other changes are included.
ROAR: This is a step up and includes a slight bump for L2 with a slightly higher L2 in frequencies 2.3-2.41 GHz. (Most tablets should handle this fine.)
RAGE: This is BeastMode in its current form with a heavy bump for L2 as well as bus with the highest bump in frequencies 2.3-2.41 GHz.

Keep in mind that voltages, L2, and bus speeds are and will always remain stock for all frequencies up to 2.26 GHz for all versions of BeastMode.

Source: Here

KitKat 4.4.2:
Stable kernel ROAR version 1.0: Download here
Rage and Calm coming soon.

Beta kernels:
I've started to post beta versions of the kernel before stable release. These may introduce issues, but more than likely the issues will be small.

KitKat 4.4.2:
None.

Stable changelog:

6/1/14-1.0-KitKat:
Initial release

XDA:DevDB Information
BeastMode Kernel for Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 T320, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 10.1, 8.4

Contributors
freeza
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-06-01

Created 2014-06-01
Last Updated 2014-09-02

a Mandroid

Jan 18, 2012
The beast mode kernel is what this device needed, getting better overall performance, and noticeable performance improvement in Asphalt 8.

Pls continue this fantastic work!

:good:

Reactions: micmars

lasset

Jan 15, 2005
Malmo
Thanks for the kernels. Greate for us with a T320, Thanks again.

A question, how/where i can download the different Beastkernels versions downunder? I tried soures but just got this downloaded "BeastModeKernel-ROAR-1.0-T320"

CALM: This is essentially CatMode but with all other non OC/UV related tweaks done as well. This means no L2 or bus changes, but all other changes are included.
ROAR: This is a step up and includes a slight bump for L2 with a slightly higher L2 in frequencies 2.3-2.41 GHz. (Most tablets should handle this fine.)
RAGE: This is BeastMode in its current form with a heavy bump for L2 as well as bus with the highest bump in frequencies 2.3-2.41 GHz.

What program do you recommend for set up the kernel? At the moment I use Trickster

Last edited:

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Thanks for the kernels. Greate for us with a T320, Thanks again.

A question, how/where i can download the different Beastkernels versions downunder? I tried soures but just got this downloaded "BeastModeKernel-ROAR-1.0-T320"

What program do you recommend for set up the kernel? At the moment I use Trickster

The links to Calm and rage appear forthcoming.

As to programs, I use SetCPU for one profile set at boot, utilizing charge state as the event trigger, and Trickster for overall CPU and GPU overclocking.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

a Mandroid

Jan 18, 2012
I am using Trickster Mod to set the max CPU freq to 2.419 GHZ, and GPU freq to 600 MHZ.
This gets an Antutu Score of ~ 37,000, higher than the new Galaxy S5.
The lags in the transition animations also disappears with the GPU overclock.

Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-05-58.jpg

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Jun 10, 2006
No GPU or CPU Overclock. I am using Android Tuner for more Option.

ru7abumu.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-T320 mit Tapatalk

killflaker

Apr 6, 2013
Great news! First kernel! :good:

a Mandroid can you make test with 3dmark at the same frequency?

Last edited:

a Mandroid

Jan 18, 2012
Great news! First kernel! :good:

a Mandroid can you make test with 3dmark at the same frequency?

Using the Roar Kernel (2.419Ghz CPU and 600 MHZ GPU) and Stock Samsung ROM, the 8.4 Wifi Tab pro gets a 3D Mark score of ~16,090 and Antutu score of ~ 37,600

Screenshot_2014-06-03-12-56-55.jpg Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-05-58.jpg

The difference may not be much in terms of numbers, but enough to make a noticeable improvement in user experience.

killflaker

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks, me with all stock i have 15800~ in 3dmark and 36000 in antutu.
For comparaison, you have a real gain in physics score, oc cpu ok but no gain with gpu.
Same result, Gt1 76,6fps and Gt2 59,7fps.

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
I have to give the OP a thanks even though I run an AOSP ROM (the ported SlimKat), just for starting the custom kernel party.

From my Pro Tab 8.4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, here is my first kernel for the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi edition.

I'll update this post to look prettier and with more information regarding the kernel but for now--here it is. This kernel is based solely on stock with tweaks. I do this to keep it as stable as the stock kernel as possible. There will be no features added that may impact stability because I am also keeping it as close to Samsung source as possible. But it does include a few things: Overclocking up to 2.72GHz, GPU overclocking support, voltage table support, removed debugging, and random tweaks here and there.

Please remember that all phones are not equal and choosing a frequency over stock (2.26GHz) can introduce instabilities, but it is not due to a crappy kernel or crappy coding. I've tried my best to calculate my overclocking voltages based on the stock voltage table.

Also, please leave feedback on your experience, requests, dislikes, pretty much anything you can so I can know what I need to do with this kernel to improve it.

For those who want to see what CPU BIN you have (the higher the better) run this command, from adb or terminal: cat /sys/devices/system/soc/soc0/soc_pvs

Post your results and I will try my best to reply to them with information on your particular CPU. The results will be a single number ranging 0-6.

Huge thanks to imoseyon and morfic for all of their help, support, and general awesomeness.

Other thanks: Faux123.

SpeedBurst? Yup! You may notice that your CPU spikes up to 2.3GHz (Roar) or 2.41GHz (Rage) occasionally. This is "SpeedBurst," and is meant to give you that extra burst of speed when you need it most lol. These two frequencies are given the most performance increases because it is assumed that most, if not all Tab Pro 8.4s can handle it since it is such a small step up from the stock 2.26GHz frequency.

Features:
    Overclocking support. (up to 2.72GHz)
    Voltage table support.
    GPU overclocking up to 600MHz.
    NTFS Support.
    Interactive and OnDemand governor tweaks with cpufreq_screen_off support.
    FauxSound.
    More.

BeastMode is now being released with 3 versions:

Keep in mind that voltages, L2, and bus speeds are and will always remain stock for all frequencies up to 2.26 GHz for all versions of BeastMode.

Source: Here

KitKat 4.4.2:
    Stable kernel ROAR version 1.0: Download here
    Rage and Calm coming soon.

Beta kernels:
    I've started to post beta versions of the kernel before stable release. These may introduce issues, but more than likely the issues will be small.

KitKat 4.4.2:
    None.

Stable changelog:

6/1/14-1.0-KitKat:
    Initial release

XDA:DevDB Information
    BeastMode Kernel for Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 T320, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 10.1, 8.4

Contributors
    freeza
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2014-06-01

Created 2014-06-01
    Last Updated 2014-09-02
    I got a message from Freeza ( developer ) today. ( thanks for the reply btw )

He is going to update the kernel as soon as the kernel source is released by samsung.

I know some of you are ( like me ) waiting for it .
    Just thought to share it so you guys know this thread is not dead. ☺

Higher freq than stock chrashes my device btw, bump on voltage does not help, tried up to 1200mv....I know..are u nuts? Yes I am.
    Maybe something else is wrong or maybe I got a bad OC chip.
    I saw someone on page 1 or 2 with the same issue. Going past stock reboots the device on antutu.

Not blaming the dev in any way, maybe it`s source related or related to specific series of 320 tablets that just suck.

The kernel other than no oc for me rocks. It is smooth and stable, all I miss is governors like PegasusQplus or ZZMoove, lulzactiveq etc.

Thank you dev and I hope these governors can be implemented.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app
    I am also curious to know if this works with CM 11. Anyone try it?

It won't.
    Hey I made this install video of your cool kernel check it out here hope you like it and feel free to place it in the OP if you want to
    http://youtu.be/gXv1THycwew
    I am using Trickster Mod to set the max CPU freq to 2.419 GHZ, and GPU freq to 600 MHZ.
    This gets an Antutu Score of ~ 37,000, higher than the new Galaxy S5.
    The lags in the transition animations also disappears with the GPU overclock.

Screenshot_2014-06-02-16-05-58.jpg