verizon galaxy s5 on canadian network (rogers)

Search This thread

kl25

Apr 10, 2010
i found a verizon galaxy s5 that's very reasonably priced. im just wondering if you experts out there can help me out.

the specs listed on verizon's website seems that the phone does match up the frequenceis which Rogers here in canada uses. however, this was also the case for european version of galaxy s5 and i was told that it will not work with the 4g network in Canada.

any input would be much appreciated!

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
FWIW, my understanding is Rogers doesn't support something called fast dormancy (very long explanation short: if the phone is connected for data but idle, the connection is depreciated from 4G down to eventually 1X - this minimizes the phone's impact on the carrier and reduces battery demand; start to move data and the connection ramps back up again - all of this is done very quickly). The good news is there's an app to disable the phone's attempts to use fast dormancy. But... the phone must be rooted to use the app.

I ran into the fast dormancy issue in the Bahamas (Bahamas Telephone Co.). Using their SIM in a RAZR MAXX, the phone would basically become slower and slower until it locked up. Reboot and the process started all over again. Voice-only worked 100%. Cutting to the chase, the problem turned out to be fast dormancy isn't supported by BaTelCo. The fix for the RAZR MAXX was to root the phone and edit a system file called build.prop (there's an app for that - the needed code can be found with Google). In doing the research on this problem, Rogers came up as also not supporting fast dormancy. All of this happened two years ago, so things may have changed. I haven't been back to the Bahamas since then and I've never used Rogers. NTL, I'd take a serious run at getting the answer to this question. It may take some pushing but Rogers should produce the answer sooner or later.

Summarizing, AFAIK your VZW S5 should be just fine in Canada. My guess is fast dormancy is the key to why 4G may not work. And there is a work-around for that.

All of that said, please remember I do not have first-hand experience with my VZW S5 in Canada or anywhere but the US. I'll return to the Bahamas a few months and be in Germany in December; I expect to know much more then. But I doubt you want to wait that long for my first-hand report. :)

kl25

Apr 10, 2010
FWIW, my understanding is Rogers doesn't support something called fast dormancy (very long explanation short: if the phone is connected for data but idle, the connection is depreciated from 4G down to eventually 1X - this minimizes the phone's impact on the carrier and reduces battery demand; start to move data and the connection ramps back up again - all of this is done very quickly). The good news is there's an app to disable the phone's attempts to use fast dormancy. But... the phone must be rooted to use the app.

I ran into the fast dormancy issue in the Bahamas (Bahamas Telephone Co.). Using their SIM in a RAZR MAXX, the phone would basically become slower and slower until it locked up. Reboot and the process started all over again. Voice-only worked 100%. Cutting to the chase, the problem turned out to be fast dormancy isn't supported by BaTelCo. The fix for the RAZR MAXX was to root the phone and edit a system file called build.prop (there's an app for that - the needed code can be found with Google). In doing the research on this problem, Rogers came up as also not supporting fast dormancy. All of this happened two years ago, so things may have changed. I haven't been back to the Bahamas since then and I've never used Rogers. NTL, I'd take a serious run at getting the answer to this question. It may take some pushing but Rogers should produce the answer sooner or later.

Summarizing, AFAIK your VZW S5 should be just fine in Canada. My guess is fast dormancy is the key to why 4G may not work. And there is a work-around for that.

All of that said, please remember I do not have first-hand experience with my VZW S5 in Canada or anywhere but the US. I'll return to the Bahamas a few months and be in Germany in December; I expect to know much more then. But I doubt you want to wait that long for my first-hand report. :)

i think i undestood maybe 50% of that...LOL

So you're saying the s5 is a phone that supports fast dormancy, or the s5 specifically form verizon is a phone that supports dormancy, which therefore may affect how it performs on Rogers network?

Anyhow, im happy to report back here to let those who are interested to know that my verizon s5 is working fine on Rogers in Canada. I get 4G LTE (of course unless i'm in places where reception is crap, but that applies to any phone on any network) and voice is 100%!

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
If your S5 is working on Rogers without messing with fast dormancy, that's what counts. If there was a problem, you would know it.

AFAIK fast dormancy support is the default for the phone. I suppose a phone sold by Rogers would have fast dormancy disabled if Rogers didn't use fast dormancy. Since your phone came from outside of their system and it's working, there you are. [/grin]

Eaglebiker

Mar 3, 2015
i think i undestood maybe 50% of that...LOL

So you're saying the s5 is a phone that supports fast dormancy, or the s5 specifically form verizon is a phone that supports dormancy, which therefore may affect how it performs on Rogers network?

Anyhow, im happy to report back here to let those who are interested to know that my verizon s5 is working fine on Rogers in Canada. I get 4G LTE (of course unless i'm in places where reception is crap, but that applies to any phone on any network) and voice is 100%!

I can confirm. My Verizon S5 phone is also working fine on Rogers network. 52Mbps down 18Mbps up when I checked. Has anyone tried the rogers stock rom on the Verizon?