[Solved] bricked defy Step by Step Walkthrough

Search This thread

_ossie_

Sep 11, 2007
Melbourne
but if i flash defy plus firmware on a defy mb525 wont that brick it?

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

lol my bad it did brick it kind of

flashed DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND_SIGN_SIGNED_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTNORD_P009_A011_HWp3_Service1FF
then JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf
now it has a black screen but in boot loader mode sigh
any way this is were i am at:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2032711

SIGH

Yeah so just flash the DFP137 SBF (if you can) and NOT the 97.21.51
Root with SuperOneClick
Install 2ndinitDefy 1.4.2
Then flash CM10

Reactions: cmcooper123

cmcooper123

Dec 6, 2012
thanks guys but i flashed

JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-33-1_CHINESE_SIGN_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B50AA03A.0R_PD S03C_USAJRDNFRYORTINT15_P001_A013_HWp3_Service1FF. sbf.gz
then
cm10-JB.2ndboot.2-11-2012-Quarx.fixed'sbf

and that killed it 100% no bootloader now :(

oh and i flashed JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf

because it was on a boot loop but i probably could have fixed that by doing a wipe in stock recovery AHHH!!!!

Edit: i just did a volt test and it was 3.2v so i am going to charge it the macgyver way haha I HOPE that is why it was not showing up in RSD lite

Edit: YEAY the battery was just flat ;D going back to the DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134 then will do a factory wipe

Edit: Yuussss it boot looped again but the factory wipe fixed it :D downloading the sbf now
DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND_SIGN_SIGNED_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTNORD_P009_A011_HWp3_Service1FF.sbf.gz
is that the right one?

Last edited:

corrinti

Jun 15, 2009
Lublin
Just a note for those who have green lense defies: the files to be flashed from a first post will bring you to BL5 - no more stock froyo full sbf.

@cmcooper: yes, U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137 is a right choice - though it will make your phone BL6

Last edited:
Reactions: cmcooper123

cmcooper123

Dec 6, 2012
Just a note for those who have green lense defies: the files to be flashed from a first post will bring you to BL5 - no more stock froyo full sbf.

@cmcooper: yes, U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137 is a right choice - though it will make your phone BL6

Done. after many sleepless nights done. haha
after installing Install 2ndinitDefy 1.4.2 i had this error
E:Can't make /tmp/update_binary
fixed it with this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1540372
now everything is working ;D thank you so much :)

moo3a

Feb 9, 2011
I can't thank you enough sir. my phone was broken and i was totally desperate, but your guide have saved me. :)

:good:

navinshark

May 20, 2010
Bangalore
Defy (Green)

Guys some how able to flash CM 7.2 with out flashing defy + sbf in my defy (green), and so far it's working fine with out any problem, but not able to get back to CM 10 (JB), any idea how can i get it back JB in may phone.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

If i flsh defy + sbf will camera works fine in defy (green) i have doubt, i think it wont work right

Thanks.

navinshark

May 20, 2010
Bangalore
Thanks for all, i got back my Defy......... :p

Update:

After flash DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND_SIGN_SIGNED_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTNORD_P009_A011_HWp3_Service1FF - of course camera was not working, but I installed CM 10 (Quarx build) which is common for Defy and Defy + with custom kernel, now camera is working fine.

Zach21

May 12, 2011
My bootloader shows error "Code Corrupt"

I tried flashing JORDN_U3_97.21.51 without success (checksum errors)

Is there a way to wipe data/cache without recovery? The phone boots directly to bootloader regardless of how you start it. I cant get any recovery.

Can sbf_flash for linux delete a few partitions (with the cache) without flashing a rom?

NomadRip

Dec 26, 2012
I just wanted to express my love for this walkthru. After getting a bit too quick to start pushing buttons, what I thought would be a quick little update to this new hand-me-down Defy turned into several hours of wondering if I'd ever be able to get it to even light up again.

I'll pay closer attention to the forums before trying to mess with Android again. :cyclops:

navinshark

May 20, 2010
Bangalore
My bootloader shows error "Code Corrupt"

I tried flashing JORDN_U3_97.21.51 without success (checksum errors)

Is there a way to wipe data/cache without recovery? The phone boots directly to bootloader regardless of how you start it. I cant get any recovery.

Can sbf_flash for linux delete a few partitions (with the cache) without flashing a rom?

If RSD is able to recognise ur phone means try to flash DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND this sbf, this s actually Defy plus's sbf, u can flash this, if u have Defy (Green) for other roms u may face problem for camera, but afterwords if u flash CM10 (Quarx) camera will work fine cause he s using custom kernel which s common for Defy and Defy plus.

I dont think so that u can wipe cache with out entering in to recovery, u can try stock recovery mode if ur phones starts with moto logo, by pressing volume down button and power button together.

But if u flash this sbf there will be no downgrade to froyo r eclair.

Last edited:

fontinalis

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks! :D

Followed your steps in the first post and got Cyanogenmod 7.2 back up and running after battling boot logo loops with WhiteRabbit 2.1. Got WR 1.8 installed with the same instructions but kept on getting "no space" errors when installing all my apps so decided to stick with CM.

My storage on the Motorola Defy shows 128MB of internal storage available and 51.63MB free after a fresh install of CM 7.2 and Google Apps. Does this seem correct for this phone?

Guess I could keep installing apps and see if I get the out of space errors again.

Much appreciated, and have a Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Zach21

May 12, 2011
If RSD is able to recognise ur phone means try to flash DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND this sbf, this s actually Defy plus's sbf, u can flash this, if u have Defy (Green) for other roms u may face problem for camera, but afterwords if u flash CM10 (Quarx) camera will work fine cause he s using custom kernel which s common for Defy and Defy plus.

I dont think so that u can wipe cache with out entering in to recovery, u can try stock recovery mode if ur phones starts with moto logo, by pressing volume down button and power button together.

But if u flash this sbf there will be no downgrade to froyo r eclair.
No recovery, I get the bootloader screen with an error "Code Corrupt". I tried this rom and it didn't work, same checksum errors.

navinshark

May 20, 2010
Bangalore
No recovery, I get the bootloader screen with an error "Code Corrupt". I tried this rom and it didn't work, same checksum errors.

So now go back and try to flash once again JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf

First remove battery and SD card and if u need sim card as well, then replace only battery and try. Some times it even gave me check sum error. Which defy u have green r red.

Zach21

May 12, 2011
So now go back and try to flash once again JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf

First remove battery and SD card and if u need sim card as well, then replace only battery and try. Some times it even gave me check sum error. Which defy u have green r red.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried that again without sim and sd card with a couple of other roms. Same problem. Brick.

timb138

Jan 4, 2013
Guildford
cant restore, couldn't open directoy

Hello and thank you for a great post, i do however have some problems. I have been having major problems with trying to unbrick this phone (see my other posts)

I have redownloaded and reflashed everything iaw your guide except rsd lite and superone click from your links in case there were any mods on my copy of the sbf

item 7. extract the 2011-06-11.14.14.27.zip into this folder on your sd card "/clockworkmod/backup/"

I dont have a folder on my sd card of that name and cant create one using forward slash.

item 9. make sure you have internet connectivity, press the install bootmenu option

i have internet via wifi only (the phone functions don't work at all on this build for me). Also i have `install 2nd init` and `unistall 2nd init` options. I`m not trying to be pedantic, I realise they're boot loaders but the problem with item 10 below may be connected if this is not what I`m meant to be seeing

item 10. now return to recovery menu and choose "backup/restore"->"restore->2011-06-11.14.14.27".

when i click restore i get the message "couldn't open directory. No files found " Also before this "Cache wipe complete. E:can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (file exists)" and before that " formatting SD Ext :... No app2sd partition found. skipping format of /sd-ext" .

Hopefully there is a straightforward fix for this as I`m on day 3 without a phone which isn't good for business.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give with this.

Tim

fontinalis

Oct 18, 2012
Original message.....

12. let the phone boot up, congrats you just revived your phone, root it once again using super one click (if needed), install the 2ndinit2.3.apk.
transfer whatever rom you like (dont try sbf's cause that's how I first got in this mess), reboot phone, go into stock recovery and install that zip after wiping data/factory reset. and ohh well you know the rest.

Hello and thanks. I have had to use this recovery method a few times after encountering lots of force closes with WR and CM7. Don't know why but after signing up for a new gmail/google acount and tying that to the fresh install rather than my old account everything is working. Also did not install Google Play Services.

My question concerning this guide however; why the "stock recovery" rather than custom recovery needed on the last step?

Also, it would be great if you could have add an explanation for each step as to why it is needed and what it is doing. For example, why do we need to install the sbf, then recovery zip, then firmware zip.

Thanks again, things are running smoothly once more on my Defy.

lateraluis

Feb 2, 2013
hi, i cant get the step of wipping data down, when i press volume down and insert battery I get the same bootloader screen.

Tried the sbf for my country and it failed, also tried an SBF for 3.4.3_11-Stock._BLUR.sbf and it still failed.

Is there another way to wipe data? or what else I can try?

timb138

Jan 4, 2013
Guildford
hi lateraluis

Not sure which stage you're at, does the phone boot at all and if so have you used the latest 2nd init?

If so try installing the older 2nd init I think its 2.1.3 and you should get the custom recovery screen.

The newer 2nd init doesn't work on some phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original message
    :I need some serious help.
    I tryed to flash custom 2.3.6 fixed sbf.
    which didnt end well, after powerup i would go straight to bootloader with err codes.
    so tryed to flash another stock SBF, that ended me in inifinte bootloop with android logo. after 20 minutes in bootloop i gave up and flashed another stock SBF this time it was cellcom israel sbf, it finished the flashing succesfully but now the phone wont powerup at all. not bootloader not recovey.
    nada...

I really need your help here, any kind of insights will help. please this is urgent.

BTW: this is a red lense defy, last rom was JB 4.1.1 quarx 30.07 build.
    the sbf was supposed to have the same rom.

update 1: managed to finally flash stock, cant enable 3g. phone is still rooted, installing superuser is succesfuly but doesnt control attributes. so 2ndinit currently does not work,

issue solved
    UPDATE 16/11/2012: links check and updated everything should work.

Solution:
    1. first get these files as we'll need all of them: Rsd lite (download and install that),
    Motorola drivers (download and install: Here)
    JORDN_U3_97.21.51.rar(contains sbf file): http://www.4shared.com/get/xzT3dMXv/JORDN_U3_972151.html
    firmware.rar(contains another sbf file): http://www.4shared.com/rar/Ytt5O6--/firmware.html
    2ndinit 1.4.2, and 2ndinit 2.3 (can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1032212).
    also need the nandroid backup: http://www.4shared.com/file/pVQfB4bF/2011-06-11141427.html

[Optional]
    superuser.zip file installing from recovery: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.2-arm-signed.zip

2. [Optional] I didn't have a router at my house and no signal at my phone and i needed internet for 2ndinit, so i installed a program that turns my wifi on the computer into a hotspot, it can be found here: http://www.connectify.me/

3.First shutdown your phone, hold the Vol down and boot the phone up keeping the volume down pressed. you should come up to a triangle android logo, press the vol up and down key and then tap the screen ( this is a touch screen gui), choose the wipe data/cache and press ok, this should take up to 5 minutes.

4. Now, shut down the phone (pull the battery out and return it back in), Hold the Vol Up button and power up your phone.
    you will enter the Bootloader (or BL as its called in the forums) and you should see the phone stating that (usually 9.10 version)

5. after installing Rsd lite, launch it, extract the JORDN_U3_97.21.51.rar and firmware.rar files into root directory (C:\ or D:\ or whatever).
    in rsdlite press the
    button and choose the JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf file.
    connect your phone via a usb cable to your computer, the phone should state its connected. and you should see on the rsdlite window that a device is connected, click on it and press the button :"start".
    let it finish and boot on itself (it should do that).

6. [Optional] if you started with low battery now is a good time to charge your phone.

7. transfer the 2ndinit 1.4.2 apk and the 2ndinit 2.3 apk into a folder in your sd card (name it "A" for ease of use).
    also extract the 2011-06-11.14.14.27.zip into this folder on your sd card "/clockworkmod/backup/"

8. extract the superoneclick on your computer and launch it, while the phone is connected (should also be in usb debugging mode), press the root button in the superoneclick window and watch the magic, make sure you also install busybox (should be installed automatically when pressing the ROOT button).

9. disconnect your phone, use the file explorer provided with this rom and make sure you check with a "V" to "allow 3rd party apps" in the settings. install the 2ndinit1.4.2.apk file.
    open the app after installation and make sure you have internet connectivity, press the install bootmenu option.(now pop-ups should appear regarding permissions, choose "allow" for all of them).
    after the green led has turned on, go to settings menu under application/development and turn off the "usb debugging mode".

10. restart your phone and make sure you press the vol down button when the led turns blue during the bootup.
    when in bootmenu, choose recovery-> custom recovery.
    when in recovery, choose "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache", "advanced-> wipe dalvik".
    now return to recovery menu and choose "backup/restore"->"restore->2011-06-11.14.14.27".
    this should take a couple of minutes.
    when its done, go back again to recovery menu, and choose again "wipe cache", "advanced-> wipe dalvik".
    power off the phone.

11. hold the vol up button once again and power up the phone to go into bootloader screen.
    connect your phone once again to your computer and on the rsdlite window choose the "firmware.sbf" file.
    press start and flash it.

12. let the phone boot up, congrats you just revived your phone, root it once again using super one click (if needed), install the 2ndinit2.3.apk.
    transfer whatever rom you like (dont try sbf's cause that's how I first got in this mess), reboot phone, go into stock recovery and install that zip after wiping data/factory reset. and ohh well you know the rest.

Good luck.
    P.S if you can't or dont know where to find the files take a quick search in the forums and youll find most of them.
    I just unbricked my phone again yesterday after trying the latest cm10 sbf with no luck, so i can guarantee this method still works, however the firmware.sbf file is really needed and also the nandroid backup, so here's what i'll do:
    1. i'll check what links are broken and reupload the necassery files.
    2. I'll clean the the first message and update the links
    so check back in about an hour
    Thanks rtk217 for starting this guide very useful for noobs...

I've made some video tutorials using a few of the guides in the forums here...

hope it helps someone...

Its a complete step by step.

Part 1 of 4. This part deals with preparation of all the required files to successfully complete the custom rom installation.
    http://youtu.be/jMAlys2_KG4

Part 2 of 4. How to restore Defy to default
    http://youtu.be/6SUysKZ2E5Y

Part 3 of 4. How to root using SuperOneClick and install clockworkmod.
    http://youtu.be/hd3_SRbkUWw

Part 4 of 4. How to install 2ndinit recovery and install CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2
    http://youtu.be/gNPacGesWOI
    hey i have the same problem did you fix it?

Yep... Please see the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1618718&page=32

Look at pages 31 and 32...
    bwithut if i flash defy plus firmware on a defy mb525 wont that brick it?

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

lol my bad it did brick it kind of

flashed DEFYPLUS_U3_4.5.1-134_DFP-137_ND_SIGN_SIGNED_UCADEFYEMARAB1B80AA004.0R_PDS03C_USAJRDNGIBRRTNORD_P009_A011_HWp3_Service1FF
    then JORDN_U3_97.21.51.sbf
    now it has a black screen but in boot loader mode sigh
    any way this is were i am at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2032711

SIGH

I am really not sure if you have read the posts properly. I had no problems in flashing the defy plus sbf. The defy plus sbf that I gave you was a bl6 version and you can never downgrade to froyo.

97.21.51 is a Chinese éclair with bl5. 2nd boot builds were not working on bl5.