[ROOT] TowelRoot - 4.3 & 4.4.2

Search This thread

SyaCha

May 14, 2016
How to root tab winds edgeiii android kk 4.4.2 ?? I used framatool but #9? I try toweltool but still can't (phone off after click "make in ra1n")? please help me?

tburg1020

Aug 13, 2010
Safe

I trust XDAm but I want to confirm this is safe. Ive rooted several phone but I usually use the adb method. Now I have a G3 on Lollipop that I havent had any luck rooting and Im nervous about using an APK that has so many warnings on my phone.

Thanks
Tom

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I trust XDAm but I want to confirm this is safe. Ive rooted several phone but I usually use the adb method. Now I have a G3 on Lollipop that I havent had any luck rooting and Im nervous about using an APK that has so many warnings on my phone.

Thanks
Tom
G3 or GS3? It's perfectly safe for for the S3

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

nnlmmest

Apr 29, 2016
TMobile T999L - fw. LUVUBOH1 failed - 'This phone is not currently supported'

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
To root, flash TWRP and then flash supersu.zip from TWRP. Flashing TWRP will trip the knox counter from 0 to 1.

brole

Jul 11, 2016
Hi all. I'm still trying to figure out how to get this to work on an S3 T999L. I had the not supported issue another user came across, even with enabling 3rd party apps. I'm on 4.3

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Sorry, could you be more specific? I thought following the OP was flashing TWRP. How do I flash those then?
I believe this method is now obsolete, it doesn't work on latest firmware for the S3. Not being rude but there are plenty of guides to flash twrp and supersu

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

KenLucky

Mar 18, 2017
First and foremost, I apologize for resurrecting an ancient thread. I have the old Galaxy s3 747 4.4.2 wth a NJ2 firmware.
Is CF auto root still a viable solution for rooting? I obviously can't flash a custom recovery, so the SU .zip is a dead end for me...
This phone was rooted forever ago, but my daughter used it for about a year and smehow managed to update to the current F&%-ed up FW.
I am going nutz trying to root this beast. It's old, I know. But I am in a professiom that destroys a LOT of tech. Morter dust soaks through clothes and finds its way into the phone... So, old is fine...got. aRhino case on the way.. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I have attempted to flash the CF AutoRoot but it repeatedly failed at " Complete(write) failed" but that may have even a hardware issue with my USB ports. I am going to try the rear ports this time. If this doesn't work, is Root66 still an option for me?
If am successfull at rooting, I will post back, to list a final solution. Maybe it will help someone later on.
Thanx for all the free knowledge and for the help y'all have given to probably millions.

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
This forum is for the S3 from T-Mobile. The S3 from AT&T is the sgh-i747.

To root either phone, use Odin to flash the appropriate version of TWRP and then flash supersu from TWRP.

Jmo123

Mar 7, 2019
My s7 has been flashed from a sprint to a tmobile can i do a simple towel root on it so i can get a mac address changer on it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone! Most of you have probably already heard about this, but for those who have not, I thought I would post up the information.

XDA Recognized Developer @geohot has developed a new root method that so far is working for many, many devices....Including ours!!! And believe me, it just does not get any easier than this!

Check out geohot's original thread here on XDA: I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD**

Don't forget to at least click his Thanks button, and consider donating to him if you can. There was a bounty started for rooting the Verizon and AT&T S5's, and they finally got their wish! And geohot gets to claim a nearly $19,000 bounty!!! Amazing stuff! For those who may not be familiar with his previous work, he was the first to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod, and if I am not mistaken he did the same with the PS3!

So anyway, you are here to root your device, no? I guess we should get on with it then!

This is confirmed to work on 4.3, NC2 firmware for the T999, as well as 4.3 and 4.4.2 KK firmware for the I747! It should work for the T999V firmware released this morning, and for the upcoming KK updates to the T999/T999L/T999N!

HOW TO ROOT WITH TOWELROOT
    Developed By: geohot

Go to http://towelroot.com
    Click on the red Lambda symbol to download the towelroot.apk
    Install towelroot.apk on your device
    Open the app
    "make it ra1n"

You are now rooted! But need to follow a couple more steps.
    Install Chainfire's SuperSU from the Play Store
    Open SuperSu and let it update the su binary
    When it asks if you would like to disable Knox, SAY YES!

Note: I tested this on stock unrooted 4.3 firmware. Build NC2. When I told SuperSu to disable Knox it just hung with the spinner going. I just had to close SuperSu, reopen and when prompted again, said yes and it worked just fine.

There you have it! The easiest root method we have ever had for our S3's! Enjoy! :cowboy:
    Recently many have reported problems with root after installing SuperSU. Mostly they are issues with updating the binary breaking root. Chainfire knows about this and is working on it, but until he fixes it do not install via the Play Store.

Instead, download and install (as a normal app) SuperSU 2.00 from here.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712471997

This should get you guys by until he finds a fix. Sorry for the trouble some of you have had.
    CONFIRMED .. this worked on My Videotron SGH-T999V with latest stock 4.4.2 firmware (NF1) ... altho with the following notes ...

at first I tried to use the same procedure I used to root 4.3 (twrp 2.7.1.0 recovery, de-knox script, and superSu 1.65) ... but su binary would either fail to update or not survive boot

used latest towel root apk (version 2), but su binary failed to update until after a reboot

now I'm in the process of using root and Titanium to debloat KitKat .. thanks samsung, lol

so far, I don't really notice much difference between kitkat and 4.3 which is kinda odd for a "major" release .. it's actually a letdown

mucho thanks for bringing this to our forum, Doc ... merci bien :)
    In the end, root is root. So no real advantages once you've already done so. This just makes the process extra quick and super easy!
    I consider it to be the safest method at this point as well. If for no other reason than it limits the potential for human errors. But it also requires no flashing, which which always carries some risk of its own.

If anyone who has never tripped the warranty bit tries this method, please confirm it does not trip it.
    Its been reported not to already on other devices, and I see no reason it would, but its better to have confirmation on each device nonetheless.

And fyi, after flashing stock then running Towelroot, the device status remained "Official" and I could still check for updates until I rebooted. After rebooting it re-runs its check and sets the status to "Custom".
    It's the strangest thing y'all. My root will come and go in seems like an arbitrary manner. The only reason i noticed is because my quickboot reboot widget would make the screen go blank (hang) from which i could hit the 'return' hardware key to go back to homescreen. I would then confirm by opening any root-needed app (triangle/TB, etc) and get the 'root needed for functionality' message.

In any case - to elaborate on the root coming and going phenomenon.

I came from stock T999 (non LTE) and believe i had an OTA or two under my belt but was running 4.0.1 or 4.1.1 latest! I can be lazy about these things and was happy about my original root method (though i can't remember which method that was) but recently tried to see if OTA method worked when i saw that Tmo was on to my root (settings/about/phone/software update produced message. Turns out the flash counter is responcible for that, as confirmed after Triangle usage).

Then i flashed latest NC2 update - found through samfirmware via ODIN, and after i couldn't find a relatively 'safe' method to root (based on online documentation, reading up on KNOX, my own comfort levels, etc), stumbled on the cf-auto-root and flashed that. So far so good for a couple of days.

Then, after a couple of days, the root was gone as described above. Reflashed auto root, integrated SuperSU into system and ran Aroma Installer full de-bloat. I couldn't find the recommended knox system entries to delete via TB, and assumed they were never included in the auto-root image. But i did download KNOX Disabler just in case. Never used it.

Then my root was gone again after a couple of days and thinking i had nothing to lose i tried to run KNOX Disabler. The app didn't seem to work and looked like it was hanging, but after a reboot the root has returned.

So now the situation is that (and this is mostly trial and error), the root will disappear after some time (i'm paranoically checking it twice a day now, and might establish duration or reboot patterns at some point), at which point i'll go through the knox disabler/hang/reboot/root returned loop.

My situation seems unique as far as wide google and xda search results - and it seems manageable (if annoying) for the moment, but it would be great to understand and resolve the bloody strangeness.

Thanks for listening and any contributions on the matter!
    Did you ever open SuperSU and disable Knox from there? Knox may be conflicting with root access

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I didn't look much further than this post but it states that for CM you need to start from ICS. Is there another thread I should check out?
    It was probably an old post.. I'm sure it will work, but since it is an old cm build you may need to edit the assert lines to match your bootloader.. I wouldn't go back to cm10 though since we have cm11