Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

steve1996

May 2, 2012
canterbury
HTC One X
HTC One X+
Re: HTC Flagship 2013 - HTC One - Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 - Mega Information Thread

Since the SGS4 with Exynos 5, 4x A1 + 4x A7 + 544MP3, mostly plastic build is almost confirmed what do you guys think about the One chances

i dont want to bash or discuss the s4, but im asking, will brute power be enough to persuade you away from the HTC One?

i care a lot about GPU power which will most likely be owned by the SGS4 until the s800/T4 devices arrive

i expect HTC to work its hardest to push 4.2 and raise those benchmarks but...there is no denying, power users will go for the SGS4

ofcourse this is going to be battle outside the USA because s600 seems to be used in the american model

If the antutu scores are true, Samsung isn't optimizing it well enough, a15 should be much better and krait, for now it's just a difference of 2000. The HOX was scoring 10000 when it first came out, but now it's 15000, 5000 gain!
I don't think that Samsung did enough testing for the octa, so I think bugs like stuck at the wrong cores will occur on their early software.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
It appears though that tegra 4 isn't everything that Nvidia originally made it out to be, yes it's nice to have a Tegra but I'm not overly worried about that now, not after seeing the benchmarks... then again I'm not as well versed up on all the numbers as you are Hamdir and I get a little lost sometimes :eek:

yea my sentenced wasnt finished

i meant to say

im worried HTC is going to focus on "innovations" from now on, instead of specification war

this will isolate HTC into a sort of a different segment but will leave them out from the super phones game

Reactions: The-Last-Hylian

Sharpi1

Aug 14, 2011
Wuppertal
AW: HTC Flagship 2013 - HTC One - Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 - Mega Information Thread

Delete

Last edited:

jesr

Sep 23, 2009
Since the SGS4 with Exynos 5, 4x A1 + 4x A7 + 544MP3, mostly plastic build is almost confirmed what do you guys think about the One chances

i dont want to bash or discuss the s4, but im asking, will brute power be enough to persuade you away from the HTC One?

i care a lot about GPU power which will most likely be owned by the SGS4 until the s800/T4 devices arrive

i expect HTC to work its hardest to push 4.2 and raise those benchmarks but...there is no denying, power users will go for the SGS4

ofcourse this is going to be battle outside the USA because s600 seems to be used in the american model

Well since it seemed to be my post that triggered all that fuss I apologyse to fellow forum members. I posted it, trying to contribute with benchmark data for expert users do their thoughts/analysis on SoC performance. And I posted here because being a rival device they could debunk much of the hype, which might be of interest for average joes who visit this forum undecided which device to buy.

Regarding you question, I read today from Murtazin that the SGS4 will be plastic again and it will have the same weaknesses than previous iteration. So I really believe HTC is on the right path by focusing on:

- Marketing investments; holding review units until the latest sw possible, aiming for the best feedback from media.
- Sales channels, partner carriers (broader launch ever)
- Focusing on consumer experience with zoe and blinkfeed.
- Absolutely exquisit design and premium materials:

HTC-One-62.jpg

HTC-One-52.jpg

HTC-One-72.jpg

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
If the antutu scores are true, Samsung isn't optimizing it well enough, a15 should be much better and krait, for now it's just a difference of 2000. The HOX was scoring 10000 when it first came out, but now it's 15000, 5000 gain!
I don't think that Samsung did enough testing for the octa, so I think bugs like stuck at the wrong cores will occur on their early software.

yes im pretty sure it will be just like Tegra 3 early days

regardless like i said lets not OT and discuss the S4

im just contemplating what is HTC trying to do here

did they suddenly decide to stop caring about the power game? i can't help but feel they should have lobbied for the s800 with qualcomm

super processors usually build a hype around a device on their own

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
I preordered mine today, I got to play with it for 20 min and I have to say, WOW. Its a new revolution, I never had the feel of such a phone, hardware and software are perfect! Really this is awesomeness. I really care in laggs and so on, but I never ever felt any little mikro lagg or something else while switching beetween so much functions. I ant wait no longer ... In 2 weeks it's mine! I will play with it the first weeks 24/7 :D I'm so happy! It's worth buying it, believe me. The sound is so BOOOOM, it's more than boom! It's so clear! Oh man.... I can tell you more but you guys should feel it yourself, I'm going back now with a very big smile on m face :) really!

thanks for this, yea everyone seems to say you have to see it in person

Sharpi1

Aug 14, 2011
Wuppertal
AW: HTC Flagship 2013 - HTC One - Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 - Mega Information Thread

I preordered mine today, I got to play with it for 20 min and I have to say, WOW. Its a new revolution, I never had the feel of such a phone, hardware and software are perfect! Really this is awesomeness. I really care in laggs and so on, but I never ever felt any little mikro lagg or something else while switching beetween so much functions. I cant wait no longer :eek: ... In 2 weeks it's mine! I will play with it the first weeks 24/7 :D I'm so happy! It's worth buying it, believe me. The sound is so BOOOOM, it's more than boom! It's so clear! Oh man.... I can tell you more but you guys should feel it yourself, I'm going back now with a very big smile on m face :) really!

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

thanks for this, yea everyone seems to say you have to see it in person

Yes, you say it.

steve1996

May 2, 2012
canterbury
HTC One X
HTC One X+
Re: HTC Flagship 2013 - HTC One - Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600 - Mega Information Thread

yes im pretty sure it will be just like Tegra 3 early days

regardless like i said lets not OT and discuss the S4

im just contemplating what is HTC trying to do here

did they suddenly decide to stop caring about the power game? i can't help but feel they should have lobbied for the s800 with qualcomm

Maybe they just can't keep up? Or bad timing of nvidia...

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
No.

However, there are exactly three reasons why I've ordered a One: the screen (especially the colour accuracy), the camera (especially performance in low light), and the speakers (which make for loud, clear notifications and, I hope, good in-call audio volume and quality - these are unusually important to me because I'm partially deaf). If the GS4 doesn't require me to compromise those three things, and has a larger screen of the same quality, and it's more powerful, has a memory card slot and a removable battery, and there are no major gotchas such as poor battery life.. then yes, why not?

That said, I'll be surprised if low-light camera performance is comparable.

I kind of hope the GS4 has another horribly over-saturated AMOLED display - if it does then I can ignore it and stop worrying. :)

shox22

May 12, 2010

i expect HTC to work its hardest to push 4.2 and raise those benchmarks but...there is no denying, power users will eye the SGS4

ofcourse this is going to be a different battle inside the USA because s600 seems to be used in the american model

i dont know, im pretty sure HTC knew all this, so it seems unlike last time they decided not to compete head to head in terms of specs and went for their own niche of features

does this make the HTC One a kind of "unique" specialized android instead of the usual super phone?

I think htc would have compete with Samsung in terms of specs if they could. But there was nothing to do. The S600 was/is the most powerfull chip avaible for them.
I´m not a gamer (on the pc, i am), but i still care for things like gpu. But my hope in the dev community is big. They will push the Adreno 320 to its limits.
If we forget about GPU, the One just cant be beaten by the S4. I had it in my hands... its perfect.
The one will win in:
-Design
-Haptics / Materials
-Display (if it will get the 1080p pentile amoled. The S3 i saw in the O2 store had quite a few burned-in letters.)
-Speaker (boomsound)
-Software (thats subjective, but touchwizz looks childish to me)
-Software updates (the s3 jb update... what a joke. But they were first with it! At least that!)
-Sound for headphones (if they use the same dac like in the dna)
-Camera functions (Zoe)
-LTE nearly everywhere (exynos 5 doesnt support lte?! not sure about it!)

Not sure about:
Camera

Brac20

Mar 14, 2012

you probably missed my edit

im a little conerned about HTC choices here

im worried they are going into this sort of policy like LG stated as well

"we will no longer compete based on specification wars and instead focus on innovation"

Why is this worrying? That's what companies should be doing. We don't utilise most of a phones power anyway. I'll take design and innovative, useful features over a uber-powerful gpu any day.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Why is this worrying? That's what companies should be doing. We don't utilise most of a phones power anyway. I'll take design and innovative, useful features over a uber-powerful gpu any day.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

except when you consider the 1080p display just set all android flagships a year back in terms of keeping up with iOS gaming

the GPU on the S4 is not revolutionary, its the same as the i5 with better polycount and agressive clocks but it has to push more then 2x the number of pixels

so it will be almost a match with the i5 in terms of native gaming performance

so this means, game developers will get even more lazy

porting their iOS games will be dead easy for the SGS4 which they consider will be the number one android population and has the same GPU, they will then compromise their games to run well on other SOCs

in a nutshell, its pretty clear to me samsung is aiming to win the gaming audience on the Android this round

problems, heat and throttling are very big worry on the s4, but no one will care as long as it owns the "intial" impressions

and can you just imagine the upcoming media hype for the s4?

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
lots of smartphone users seems to forget how big mobile gaming is part of the equation, if you dont care good for you, just check the mega catalog of games on iOS to understand that you can not simply say "who cares for power, no one is using it anyway"

bottomline gaming on mobile devices is a big pie and a main contributor to iOS success

anyway with T4 incoming, huge success of the krait snapdragons, samsung's mega SOC/GPU switch and new 1080p adoption

Android gaming is about to get even more fragmented

Last edited:

itsmemuffins

Jun 13, 2010
Last edited:

The-Last-Hylian

Feb 14, 2012
www.ivaninsurance.co.uk
lots of smartphone users seems to forget how big mobile gaming is part of the equation, if you dont care good for you, just check the mega catalog of games on iOS to understand that you can not simply say "who cares for power, no one is using it anyway"

bottomline gaming on mobile devices is a big pie and a main contributor to iOS success

anyway with T4 incoming, huge success of the krait snapdragons, samsung's mega SOC and GPU switch and new 1080p adoption

Android gaming is about to get even more fragmented

Thats the last thing we need, the HOX should have been gaming gold but devs didn't give two-cents about it and sloppily ported games and optimized poorly for it.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thats the last thing we need, the HOX should have been gaming gold but devs didn't give two-cents about it and sloppily ported games and optimized poorly for it.

I have already posted my warnings about gaming on the HTC One

don't expect any better, Adreno 320 is just "enough" at this high density

there supposed to be an excellent CPU governor by qualcomm included (msm-dcvs as in the DNA) but it will require root if you want to use it manually

i still dont have information if the ondemand governor is still being used in default

but there is no doubt in my mind if you want the HTC One, be ready to put gaming out of your priorities list

if you are ok with that, then yes the HTC One is the very best Smartphone to buy this quarter

(ofcourse custom development will extract a lot more, so it will be very similar to the One X gaming story)

HTC One is day one root for me :)

Last edited:

itsmemuffins

Jun 13, 2010
So here is a quick question. For anyone that can go and look at the phone can you please report back what the app storage space is. Most today have app install storage set for 2Gb and that is just barely enough.

I beleive we will be able to change this up a bit once custom roms are released, but till then I want to make sure I'll have enough room for all my apps.

Thanks.

on the HTC One X, the app install storage is 6.76GB

As an iPhone owner I don't understand what this means. Anyone care to elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts