[MOD] - Sleep Mods to compliment Trackpad Wake Mod *UPDATED Sense/Vanilla versions

Search This thread

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
[Info]:
My only gripe about the trackpad wake mod (while it is awesome), is that we do it in order to avoid reaching for the awkwardly placed power button, but then we still have to reach for it anyway when we want to shut the screen back off. So it only helps us for half of the task.

After trying to find a way to directly map the search soft-key (or any of the soft-keys) to a power button, and failing, I've decided to come at it from a different angle. Attached you'll find a very simple app, that simply turns off the screen when clicked, along with instructions on how to map it to the search soft-key or the rosie button for sense users.

[Options]:
1. Search key short press. This is the method I use, as it is both the fastest and accessible from within any app. It will completely replace the search key. Single-tap it at anytime to turn off the screen. You'll need to install the app, and push the keyboard remapping file that I have also attached. Note that there are 2 different key mapping files, one for Sense ROMs and another for Vanilla. They will make the following changes:
Sense version:
-Search soft-key is now mapped to the user programmable key #2. Set it to open the Kill Screen app.
-www/com key is now TAB.
-USER 3 key, which didn't work anyway, is now BACK.
-USER 2 key, which is now not needed, is HOME.
-USER 1 key (left of the space bar) is left as normal.
Vanilla version:
-Search soft-key is now mapped to the user programmable key #3. Set it to open the Kill Screen app.
-USER 3 key, which is now not needed, is now BACK.
-USER 1 and USER 2 are left as normal.​

2. Rosie's right button. This is for those who want to keep the search key as normal. See my rosie remap thread here for the option to have it launch when you press the right dock button. Keep in mind you still need to install the app, and you'll (obviously) have to be viewing one of the home screens to press it.

NOTICE: Do not post asking me to adapt this key layout to your needs, as we will end up with 500 different files before long. Instead, change it yourself! Editing this file is about as easy as it gets. You don't need anything special installed, or any programing experience whatsoever. Simply open the attached (or your own) vision-keypad.kl in any text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, etc) and change your desired key to your desired function. If you want to know what key corresponds to what number, you can boot to clockworkmod recovery --> advanced --> key test. Touch any key on the phone, and it spits out the number.

NOTICE #2: As with any app that is given administrator permissions, you will need to remove the app from the admin list in order to uninstall it. Menu --> Settings --> Security --> Select Device Administrators --> Uncheck Kill Screen. Then uninstall as normal. You will be reminded to do this when you first give the app the admin permissions.

[How To]:
Method 1 - Install the app, then grab a copy of the modified key layout and then reboot to recovery and enter this code:
adb shell mount /system
adb shell rm /system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl
adb push [your saved file location]\keypad_owamod_xxxxx.kl.zip /system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl
Reboot and enjoy.​
Method 2 - Install the app first, then see the linked thread for how to get the modified rosie.apk

Attachments

• KillScreen.apk
    24.4 KB · Views: 282
  • keypad_owamod_SENSE.kl.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 106
  • keypad_owamod_VANILLA.kl.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
Great news but something like that exists already for a few monts:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=795811

I used it on the Nexus One and now on the Desire Z.

Not quite.

You should read the whole post, people fail to do so far too often on this forum. Of course the app exists, there are multiple versions, both pay and free, on the android market and floating around the forums.

What does not exist, is the remapped key file to make the app launch with a short press of the search key (method #1) and the remapped rosie buttons to launch the app from the right dock button (method #2).

The only method I really cared about is the short-press search button (method #1), which completely replaces the search button, so that it functions to turn off the screen (like it should have been from the factory) like the G1. This also allows it to work while the screen is still locked, so you can single press the trackpad, check the time/messages/missed call, then turn the screen back off without ever unlocking it! But I made this mod and guide, so that you have THREE options: the long-press method (like the one that you linked to) AND two NEW ways.

Last edited:

B73C

Mar 7, 2007
Using all of the default files while running CM 6.1.1 Colourized, I can get my DZ to sleep only by long-pressing the Search button, not a short-press.

I checked the .kl file and confirmed the USER2 key is 217 and that matches my Key Test number in Recovery.

A short-press of my Search button doesn't do anything.

I've set KillScreen as the default app for the long-press and it works as it should, but I'd like to leave that as a Search (Vlingo) button and have a short-press go directly to KillScreen.

Suggestions?

joemm

I tried the Rosie_killscreen.apk , it installs ok i get the little power icon on my Rosie launcher bar but when I press it, it doesn't do anything, I tried to re-download the file in case it was corrupt and re-install it but the same thing happens, nothing. I installed the Rosie_contacts.apk and it work fine but can get the Rosie_killscreen.apk to work. Has anyone gotten the Rosie_killscreen.apk to work?

EDIT- My fault forgot to install the main app..... Sorry, let me try this again.

Update: The app works great on the Rosie_launcher, Just a reminder to install the KillScreen.apk first, then follow the process for pushing the app to the Rosie launcher.

Last edited:

billnye1999

Apr 4, 2008
I use cm6.1.1 lockscreen gestures and the "screen off and lock" app. I setup a gesture of "L" and link the gesture to the "screen off and lock" app so when I am on the lockscreen and do a "L" gesture and it shuts off the screen. I also have it set as a shortcut in the dock for adw launcher too so I can lock/screen off just by pressing it. So far it works great.

Reactions: ajk1311

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
Using all of the default files while running CM 6.1.1 Colourized, I can get my DZ to sleep only by long-pressing the Search button, not a short-press.

I checked the .kl file and confirmed the USER2 key is 217 and that matches my Key Test number in Recovery.

A short-press of my Search button doesn't do anything.

I've set KillScreen as the default app for the long-press and it works as it should, but I'd like to leave that as a Search (Vlingo) button and have a short-press go directly to KillScreen.

Suggestions?

I'm not really sure what the issue is. If you choose the method where Kill Screen acts as the short-press search, you will not have a long press function anymore.

cyricc

Aug 1, 2008
I'm experiencing a problem with the long press method where the screen turns off for a second but immediately turns back on to the lock screen. Manually launching the app shuts off the screen properly. Anyone else getting this?

skushmer

Sep 13, 2009
I use the one called "Lock Screen Button" in the market. It's simple and the icon is very clean.

cyricc

Aug 1, 2008
I'm experiencing a problem with the long press method where the screen turns off for a second but immediately turns back on to the lock screen. Manually launching the app shuts off the screen properly. Anyone else getting this?

After a bit of testing I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the capacitive buttons remaining active for a very brief time after the screen shuts off: since the search button is held while the kill screen action runs, it immediately triggers wake. Pressing the power button while holding down any of the capacitive buttons has the same effect (screen turns off then back on to lock screen).

I'm guessing this can be fixed by adding a delay to turning the screen off. Or by setting the capacitive buttons to not wake the screen somehow.

LQT

Dec 22, 2009
Can't uninstall kill screen app

I installed the KillScreen.apk, however if I try to uninstall the app via the manage applications I get "Uninstall not succesful" and app is still in my applications list.

How can i permanently remove the KillScreen.apk?

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
As for the app not working properly with the long-press method, you are right, it seems to be bugging. I will take a look and hopefully get a new version up soon. The other two methods work ok, but I don't use that method, so I didn't do enough testing :)

I installed the KillScreen.apk, however if I try to uninstall the app via the manage applications I get "Uninstall not succesful" and app is still in my applications list.

How can i permanently remove the KillScreen.apk?

This is the second time in one thread I've had to quote someone and tell them to READ. Do they not teach you kids to read in school anymore? READ PEOPLE. You are working with rooted phones in a programming development forums, you SHOULD have some smarts to you.

Since you missed the "--WARNING!!!!---:READ:---WARNING!!!!--" text in all caps across the whole screen when you first gave the app permission, allow me to take my time to type it again for you: You need to remove ANY app that has been given administrator permissions from the admin permissions list in order to uninstall it. Since you gave this app administrator permissions, you need to do so. Menu, Settings, Security, Select Device Administrators. Uncheck kill screen. There will be a pop up box. Do not just hit the ok blindly, READ that too. Then uninstall.

LQT

Dec 22, 2009
Since you missed the "--WARNING!!!!---:READ:---WARNING!!!!--" text in all caps across the whole screen when you first gave the app permission, allow me to take my time to type it again for you: You need to remove ANY app that has been given administrator permissions from the admin permissions list in order to uninstall it. Since you gave this app administrator permissions, you need to do so. Menu, Settings, Security, Select Device Administrators. Uncheck kill screen. There will be a pop up box. Do not just hit the ok blindly, READ that too. Then uninstall.

Dude relax, no reason to get so agitated!

I actually did press the ok blindly, the reason for that was that the phone didn't do anything after the installation. So i tried to tap the screen to make it work and by accident tapped the ok button before reading the warning post.

If you do tell people to read, please give them the information to read. Either put it in first post or put it somewhere inside the app so people can re-read it.

I managed to uninstall the app, thanks for the info.

Relax, cheers ;)

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009

I actually did press the ok blindly, the reason for that was that the phone didn't do anything after the installation. So i tried to tap the screen to make it work and by accident tapped the ok button before reading the warning post.

If you do tell people to read, please give them the information to read. Either put it in first post or put it somewhere inside the app so people can re-read it.

Relax, cheers ;)

Actually I do have reason to get agitated! (Even though I wasn't that upset at the time, my posts often just come across that way) Because after 2 years of seeing stuff like this with android users, it gets very tiring! For example: the countless comments on the market for an app that says in the description "ONLY works on Nexus 1" and the commenter says "Does not work on Droid" and rates it 1 star. :eek: But I can forgive those, because its the general public. On a development forum, however, I expect nothing less than every member to have their wits about them. Though, realistically, it's probably just wishful thinking. :(

Reactions: sino8r

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Actually I do have reason to get agitated! (Even though I wasn't that upset at the time, my posts often just come across that way) Because after 2 years of seeing stuff like this with android users, it gets very tiring! For example: the countless comments on the market for an app that says in the description "ONLY works on Nexus 1" and the commenter says "Does not work on Droid" and rates it 1 star. :eek: But I can forgive those, because its the general public. On a development forum, however, I expect nothing less than every member to have their wits about them. Though, realistically, it's probably just wishful thinking. :(

Lol! I do that same thing in my thread. It's hard to not snap on some people lots of times. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people just don't have the brain power to read/comprehend certain things. I've had to learn to relax a bit... It's quite useless to argue with them because it just rolls off them with no worries while people like us simply struggle to understand why and end up getting pissed off. It's tough being cynical sometimes ;)

benven

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the little app! Just some feedback. Wanted to install method 1. Followed the steps. However, it still acts as method 3, long press on search, instead of just the short press. Running Virtuous 0.8.1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Info]:
    My only gripe about the trackpad wake mod (while it is awesome), is that we do it in order to avoid reaching for the awkwardly placed power button, but then we still have to reach for it anyway when we want to shut the screen back off. So it only helps us for half of the task.

After trying to find a way to directly map the search soft-key (or any of the soft-keys) to a power button, and failing, I've decided to come at it from a different angle. Attached you'll find a very simple app, that simply turns off the screen when clicked, along with instructions on how to map it to the search soft-key or the rosie button for sense users.

[Options]:
    1. Search key short press. This is the method I use, as it is both the fastest and accessible from within any app. It will completely replace the search key. Single-tap it at anytime to turn off the screen. You'll need to install the app, and push the keyboard remapping file that I have also attached. Note that there are 2 different key mapping files, one for Sense ROMs and another for Vanilla. They will make the following changes:
    Sense version:
    -Search soft-key is now mapped to the user programmable key #2. Set it to open the Kill Screen app.
    -www/com key is now TAB.
    -USER 3 key, which didn't work anyway, is now BACK.
    -USER 2 key, which is now not needed, is HOME.
    -USER 1 key (left of the space bar) is left as normal.
    Vanilla version:
    -Search soft-key is now mapped to the user programmable key #3. Set it to open the Kill Screen app.
    -USER 3 key, which is now not needed, is now BACK.
    -USER 1 and USER 2 are left as normal.​

2. Rosie's right button. This is for those who want to keep the search key as normal. See my rosie remap thread here for the option to have it launch when you press the right dock button. Keep in mind you still need to install the app, and you'll (obviously) have to be viewing one of the home screens to press it.

NOTICE: Do not post asking me to adapt this key layout to your needs, as we will end up with 500 different files before long. Instead, change it yourself! Editing this file is about as easy as it gets. You don't need anything special installed, or any programing experience whatsoever. Simply open the attached (or your own) vision-keypad.kl in any text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, etc) and change your desired key to your desired function. If you want to know what key corresponds to what number, you can boot to clockworkmod recovery --> advanced --> key test. Touch any key on the phone, and it spits out the number.

NOTICE #2: As with any app that is given administrator permissions, you will need to remove the app from the admin list in order to uninstall it. Menu --> Settings --> Security --> Select Device Administrators --> Uncheck Kill Screen. Then uninstall as normal. You will be reminded to do this when you first give the app the admin permissions.

[How To]:
    Method 1 - Install the app, then grab a copy of the modified key layout and then reboot to recovery and enter this code:
    adb shell mount /system
    adb shell rm /system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl
    adb push [your saved file location]\keypad_owamod_xxxxx.kl.zip /system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl
    Reboot and enjoy.​
    Method 2 - Install the app first, then see the linked thread for how to get the modified rosie.apk
    I use cm6.1.1 lockscreen gestures and the "screen off and lock" app. I setup a gesture of "L" and link the gesture to the "screen off and lock" app so when I am on the lockscreen and do a "L" gesture and it shuts off the screen. I also have it set as a shortcut in the dock for adw launcher too so I can lock/screen off just by pressing it. So far it works great.

Relax, cheers ;)