[Q] Root and Flash ROMs on 757 firmware

Search This thread

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010
Ok, now i'm really confused.

I'm currently on 757 firmware and I want to flash the GPe on it. What exactly do I have to do?

LordManhattan's thread simply requires me to flash some files but the GPe thread needs me to flash boot.img or something.

Can anyone coach me step by step? I've never tried to flash a darn phone with so many prerequisites... It was so much easier playing with the LG and hTc :(

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Ok, now i'm really confused.

I'm currently on 757 firmware and I want to flash the GPe on it. What exactly do I have to do?

LordManhattan's thread simply requires me to flash some files but the GPe thread needs me to flash boot.img or something.

Can anyone coach me step by step? I've never tried to flash a darn phone with so many prerequisites... It was so much easier playing with the LG and hTc :(

From stock 757 with unlocked bootloader:
  1. Copy ROM zip to sdcard of phone
  2. Flash boot.img from the ROM zip using flashtool and fastboot mode. the boot.img will have recovery already in it
  3. Boot the phone into recovery, vol + or - while booting
  4. Factory reset (or format data and wipe caches
  5. Flash the ROM zip from recovery
  6. Reboot into system

I assume you have followed lordmanhattan's guide and have:
  1. Downgraded
  2. Rooted
  3. Backed up TA
  4. Unlocked bootloader
  5. Updated firmware to the latest

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010
From stock 757 with unlocked bootloader:
  1. Copy ROM zip to sdcard of phone
  2. Flash boot.img from the ROM zip using flashtool and fastboot mode. the boot.img will have recovery already in it
  3. Boot the phone into recovery, vol + or - while booting
  4. Factory reset (or format data and wipe caches
  5. Flash the ROM zip from recovery
  6. Reboot into system

I assume you have followed lordmanhattan's guide and have:
  1. Downgraded
  2. Rooted
  3. Backed up TA
  4. Unlocked bootloader
  5. Updated firmware to the latest

So it is okay to directly downgrade from 757?
And what do you mean by updated firmware to the latest?
And the boot.img in the ROM package, does it already contain the recovery?

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand

You want to downgrade to root? if so then yes - see my downgrade sticky thread in the general section for a guide

After rooting/backing up TA/unlocking bootloader you will want to flash the latest firmware again to get the new baseband, and a few other things else any custom 4.3 or 4.4 ROM's won't boot and/or will have IMEI issues

Reactions: matthewsucks

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010
You want to downgrade to root? if so then yes - see my downgrade sticky thread in the general section for a guide

After rooting/backing up TA/unlocking bootloader you will want to flash the latest firmware again to get the new baseband, and a few other things else any custom 4.3 or 4.4 ROM's won't boot and/or will have IMEI issues

Erm, actually i want to downgrade so that i can flash this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608708

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010

Ok now im trying to downgrade it. Do i downgrade to .532 or .290 first?

What things should i exclude? I see quite a few options in Flashtool.

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010

OK im in trouble. I did not exclude anything while downgrading and now my phone cannot access any mobile networks.

What the hell should i do now?

OK IGNORE THIS LOL. FIXED IT WITH SUS

Last edited:

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010

Ok to be honest, im trying to flash that ROM because the recent 757 firmware was supposed to fix the sound bug issue. It worked for others' ZU except for mine. Pretty pissed that all SONY said to me was to bring my phone down for a repair, hence i was hoping i could fix it by flashing another ROM.

I downgraded to .532 then updated it back to 757. Seems like it is a hardware problem...

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010
WOW. I'M AN IDIOT. I DECIDED TO WASH MY PHONE UNDER THE TAP BECAUSE IT WAS A LITTLE DIRTY. AND SOMEHOW, THAT FIXED THE SOUND BUG. SOMEONE PLEASE SLAP ME IN THE FACE.

Close this thread please, I'm an idiot. Thanks blueether for your help!

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
You don't read very well do you?

All the steps needed were there with an explanation of why (where needed).

Next time you you need/want to flash your ZU take the time to read the steps, and ask questions if you aren't sure about a step or why some said to do something a certain way or to see a certain thread...

ps good to see you have the sound working again

matthewsucks

Oct 18, 2010
You don't read very well do you?

All the steps needed were there with an explanation of why (where needed).

Next time you you need/want to flash your ZU take the time to read the steps, and ask questions if you aren't sure about a step or why some said to do something a certain way or to see a certain thread...

ps good to see you have the sound working again

But just to confirm, does all boot.img definitely contains the recovery also?

ishaang

Mar 24, 2009
OK im in trouble. I did not exclude anything while downgrading and now my phone cannot access any mobile networks.

What the hell should i do now?

OK IGNORE THIS LOL. FIXED IT WITH SUS

Hi...I'm in the same position as you...can you please explain how exactly you managed to fix it?

For reference, my C6802 was on stock .757 firmware, then I flashed the unofficial SlimKat rom and kernel from here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712065. Everything works in the rom except it doesnt connect to my mobile network.

Thanks a lot!

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Hi...I'm in the same position as you...can you please explain how exactly you managed to fix it?

For reference, my C6802 was on stock .757 firmware, then I flashed the unofficial SlimKat rom and kernel from here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712065. Everything works in the rom except it doesnt connect to my mobile network.

Thanks a lot!

Not the same issue ( or at least shouldn't be).

In about phone settings do you have a valid imei no. and baseband?

Have you tried any other ROMs?

ishaang

Mar 24, 2009
Not the same issue ( or at least shouldn't be).

In about phone settings do you have a valid imei no. and baseband?

Have you tried any other ROMs?

Thanks for the response blueether! In the phone settings it says Unknown for both baseband and imei. I found this thread where you helped another person with almost the same problem I guess, (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738141) and you have told him to follow these steps:

"Just do as has been said a thousand times...
Downgrade to .532 - see my downgrade thread
Root using either [NUT]'s dual recovery or bin4ries tool - see thread in step above or LordManhattans guide
Backup the TA - see LordManhattons guide
Upgrade to latest FTF
Unlock bootloader
Root using jackies099's kernel
..."

So I'm downloading a .532 FTF and will try out these steps once the download finishes in a while. As I understand, when I upgrade to the latest FTF (.757 now?) the imei/baseband should return.

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks for the response blueether! In the phone settings it says Unknown for both baseband and imei. I found this thread where you helped another person with almost the same problem I guess, (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738141) and you have told him to follow these steps:

Root using either [NUT]'s dual recovery or bin4ries tool - see thread in step above or LordManhattans guide
Upgrade to latest FTF
Unlock bootloader
..."

So I'm downloading a .532 FTF and will try out these steps once the download finishes in a while. As I understand, when I upgrade to the latest FTF (.757 now?) the imei/baseband should return.
IMEI/baseband should be fine if you were on 757 and flashed slim.

You could just try reflashing any 4.4 FTF you have laying around while you wait for the other one to download

Reactions: ishaang

ishaang

Mar 24, 2009

You could just try reflashing any 4.4 FTF you have laying around while you wait for the other one to download

Not sure why they vanished. Unfortunately I'm sort of a noob and don't have any FTFs lying around. I read some more threads and now I'm wondering what I should try first?

A - Flash 290 FTF then downgrade to 532
or
B - Straightaway flash 532 FTF
or
C - Flash 757 FTF

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Not sure why they vanished. Unfortunately I'm sort of a noob and don't have any FTFs lying around. I read some more threads and now I'm wondering what I should try first?

or
or
C - Flash 757 FTF

"flash 290" was written a long time ago when it was the 'current' firmware. I would flash 757 first and see how that works out.

Reactions: ishaang

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Upgrade to latest FTF
    Unlock bootloader
    ..."

or
    or
    C - Flash 757 FTF

"flash 290" was written a long time ago when it was the 'current' firmware. I would flash 757 first and see how that works out.
    Oh ok, then I will try that. I have a C6802 but I can't find a 757 FTF for that, so I'm using one for the C6806, I hope that will be fine.

(Found the C6806 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFSeSe8gQOY through http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2714511)

Thanks for all your help and for taking out the time! People like you are what makes XDA great for learners and generally everyone, not just devs

Yeah c6806 will do, it will make the ZU think it can get the LTE bands but will only connect on 3G

Thanks for the last comments, we all started as noobs
    So I finally found a download with good speed, for C6806 14.3.A.0.681 (Generic Hong Kong). Flashed it, and now the baseband and imei are back, the phone is fully working, and I have an OTA update notification for 757. Ofcourse, the bootloader is still unlocked and I do not have root access anymore.

Thank you so much blueether, I am glad my phone is back in working order!

I'm still interested in installing Slim though, could you point me in the right direction please?

try the [semi] official one? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712065