ASUS Padfone2 Development Thread [Index][How-to][Root][Recovery]

Search This thread

SiSSiDroid

Mar 7, 2013
Helsinki
This is a general index and howto's and sources of development related stuff for the Asus Padfone2 A68. I do not own or take credit for anything that has been done for this device, I am merely a tester and user

We are looking for ROM chefs!

See post #2 for if all else fails solution
See post #3 for Mods made by this thread's community and other incoming Mods that would be made available

Available tools:

Remember to turn on USB debugging":
*Settings>Developer Options>Tick on>Tick on debugging*

Fastboot and ADB drivers (We have a plethora of these thru xda or external google search)
-I prefer putting the unzipped packages to a personal folder on your desktop or a specific location of your choice. i.e. "D:\mydevfolder"
-Most of the files that would require fastboot and/or adb commands should be unzipped to that same location for access.

ASUS USB Drivers HERE
-To install, let the computer detect your device. Open device manager and choose the Asus android adb blahblah device. Update the driver and browse manually to where you put the driver folder. This should allow you to use fastboot and adb properly.

Unlock.APK HERE under Utilities
-Copy this to your phone and sideload. If prompted to turn of security, do so.

Latest Firmware HERE under Firmware and look for the correct version( WWE, TW, HK, ETC)
-This is for reverting back to stock which will wipe the smartphone clean including re-lock of the bootloader("fastboot oem lock" does not work)

insecure JB and/or ICS images on the same post here
-Depending on your current version you may need to flash one of the other img's

One click SUPERBOOT for Windows/Mac/Linux http://www.modaco.com/topic/360416-superboot-padfone-2-root-solution/
-Should be the easiest way to root
-Unlock bootloader> boot to bootloader > run batch file

****************De-odexed stock ROM here and here links will be changed when updates are made :)

CHANGE SKU](Firmware version) WWE-TW-HK-JP
-Instructions and original thread here thanks to gsep

Another method that I have tested as such:
*Make sure to flash superboot first*
-Install/Flash TWRP custom recovery
-Download desired stock ROM from Asus
-Put the OTA.zip or the whole extracted folder to your sdcard
-Reboot to TWRP
-Install OTA.zip
-Wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reboot and profit
-A factory settings is recommended after flashing stock ROM, so backup :)

TWRP 2.4.3.0 custom recovery
-via Goo Manager from the Playstore or here
-TWRP site here
-or here
ALL CREDITS GO TO Dees_troy of TWRP

CWM here

How-to unlock bootloader:
*I strongly recommend backing up*
1. Copy the UnLock.apk you have downloaded and paste it on your sdcard(anywhere you would be able to navigate to using at least the stock File Manager)
2. Install the app. If prompted that unknown sources is disabled, simply enable it.
3. Run the app after installation
4. A few notices/disclaimers will be displayed pertaining to the warranty upon unlocking. You will be prompted to type in your google account password if you have one logged on the device(will need internet connection if so).
5. The device will reboot and your bootloader should be unlocked and you will be able to reboot to the bootloader. You will not be able to receive OTA.
-To know that it is successful, type in "adb reboot-bootloader" when the devices fully boots up. The bootloader looks like the Splashscreen with "Fastboot Mode!!" on top.

How-to-gain-root
Since CWM and TWRP offers to root your device if it detects that it has not been rooted, simply flash your custom recovery, boot to it, and then reboot to system. It should ask to root your system

VIDEO ON HOW TO ROOT THE PADFONE 2 here (this is old and I need to update this video)

ROM.zip installation
-copy your ROM.zip to your SDcard
-reboot to your custom recovery
-install ROM.zip
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-reboot

Revert to Stock ROM: (ALL)
-Unzip the Firmware you have downloaded(make sure that's the correct version for you) to the root of your sdcard.
-Wait for system to recognize the update. If no, reboot.
-Install the update, it will revert to that stock ROM. In the process relocking the bootloader and flashing all stock images.

SOURCES:
MoDaCo forum here
Padfoneclub forum here
XDA posts/sources are already linked above

Lots of thanks to:

Dees_troy of TWRP for the Custom Recovery
ASUS for the cool device
PaulOBrien for all the contributions. ROM/Recovery/Root
Chainfire
Ivalex for the guide. If I missed the real OP for this guide please PM me so I can properly thank you.
harpik3d and DooMLoRD for the init.d scripts support guides and methods
The Padfoneclub forums

*Please do remind me if I missed anything*

Last edited by a moderator:

SiSSiDroid

Mar 7, 2013
Helsinki
Re: [INITIATIVE/RECRUITMENT] ASUS Padfone2 Development /Root/ CustomRecovery(beta) /P

In case of distaster
In case that you've bricked your phone and you can't mount on your custom recovery

-Reboot to bootloader
-Flash stock recovery(It's up there you should be able to find it) "fastboot flash recovery *stockrecovery.img*"
-"fastboot erase cache"
-Boot to your stock recovery
-Sideload ROM to /cache
-install ROM via cache
*you may have to flash insecure boot.img again

Thanks to DjBastard

*I did something like this but I'm always messy so I don't recall the right steps*

SiSSiDroid

Mar 7, 2013
Helsinki
Re: [INITIATIVE/RECRUITMENT] ASUS Padfone2 Development /Root/ CustomRecovery(beta) /P

MODS!

BATTERY MOD
By Lidenburg Download link
-Thank you

ALL IN ONE SCRIPT: By Lidenburg again
Here is his thread

Animation Mod reportedly working well for the Padfone2(the risk is yours)
check out the thread here
-make sure to do a nandroid backup

DjBastard's Mods:
DjBastard said:
pruebaaaa.jpg

Download mod

Instructions:

1. De-odexed stock ROM install.
2. boot en CMW
3. Flash Bastard!! battery-mod.zip & wipe cache!
4. Boot

For use with all in one Padfone 2 of Ludenburg

Set within the framework folder:

Download framework mod

Madcow's Battery Mod:
Madcow29 said:

huzz107's Battery mod:
here
and his Icon mods here
Hi Peeps!Here I'm sharing my mod that will make the Statusbar go to almost Green.. BAtt, Wifi, Signal and a few major icons like Bluetooth,GPS,ADB.. I hope it'll give a smile to some.. Hitting the Thanks Button will be much appreciated and will be a motivation for me.. Please back it up just in case..

Screenshots

DOWNLOAD LINK

ENJOY!!

HUZZLER

Some scripts for turbo boosting:
4CylTurboNos:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2158329

CrossBreeder:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150

Please note that turbo NOS is stable and CrossBreeder is NOT... But its working for me as you can see from entropy test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71neaku5vwsxub4/Screenshot_2013-04-17-11-18-01.jpg

ziiHelmet said:

ziiHelmet's Battery mods:
ziiHelmet said:
Okay here´s my mod that i have worked :D
Well what you get?

You get modded notification drawer, only thing what is seeing is that theres no stupid seperator bar :good:
attachment.php

Centered clock in tablet and phone, also custom battery icons in tablet i have made all icons and in phone I just used somebody's offcenter icon!
attachment.php

attachment.php

And last you get smooth charging arrows to tablet:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hit thanks button if you like it :)

download link

MIUI Battery bar Mod by Lidenburg
Here! new version with bug fixes

Well it offers the following:

Lowest CPU frequency set to 192mhz
CPU frequency locked to 192mhz-1512mhz during boot
Undervolted to save power & reduce heat
Undervolt interface (compatible with System Tuner, Kernel Tuner, etc)
Additional CPU Governors: Wheatley, InteractiveX v2
Set InteractiveX v2 CPU Governor to default instead of Performance, to lower battery consumption, maintain snappy performance, and improve GPU normal freq set to 128mhz to lower battery usage (will still scale upto 487mhz when busy)
Simple IO Scheduler (SIO) added, and set as default
Increased min/max read-ahead values from 16/128 to 32/1024
USB FastCharge upto 1400mA (enable using Kernel Tuner, sysfs, etc)
OC version: Overclocking upto 1.72ghz for a bit faster performance
OC version: GPU overclock to 487mhz

I'll leave it up to others to determine whether those features are of any benefit to them, but personally, any one of those features is beneficial to me. They're features I've appreciated from custom kernels on other phones, that's why I built the Stone kernel for PF2. There are people that have been using it for a month now, so I think it's safe to say initial testing is complete.

ASUS Padfone 2 custom kernel - "Stone" - v0.4
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2231648

Keyboard Mod:
ziiHelmet said:
PFKBS - Padfone keyboard swither!!!

Are you tired to change keyboard always when you plug or unplug the padfone from station, that time is past now, solution is PFKBS!!!
Here it is the must to have app to Padfone2 (and maybe 1), the Padfone Keyboard Switcher! Need root!

App just start and you can choose the keyboards to tablet and to phone, and then you just start using what u just do!

Example, if you love the AOSP keybard on Phone, and Swype in tablet you just select those keyboards! This app switches keyboards without any prompt or any questions, only thing you need is a root rights.

App is only beta and I hope that you will report bugs you find!

I want to know if someone test this app on Padfone1 and report will it work! PF1 users must open zip and put only pfkbs.apk to system/app, do not flash the zip! Are you tired to change keyboard always when you plug or unplug the padfone from station, that time is past now, solution is PFKBS!!!

Padfone Keyboard Switcher Thread

--a3pz0--

Feb 11, 2010
Just in case!

Sent from my PadFone 2 using XDA Premium HD app

Root guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2030716

One Klick root:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/360416-superboot-padfone-2-root-solution/

Custom Recovery:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/360432-r1-customised-recovery-image-for-the-asus-padfone-2/

Pre-MCR Deodexed WWE ROM which run through Paul's optimisation scripts. Also with removed recovery overwrite function.:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/360458-pre-mcr-wwe-rom-for-the-padfone-2/

Deodexed Stock WWE ROM.:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/360444-deodexed-wwe-rom-for-the-padfone-2/

guide to add init.d scripts support for padfone/padfone 2
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2055508

Modaco Padfone Forum:
http://www.modaco.com/forum/689-asus-padfone-2/

Other forum:
http://Padfoneclub.com

Last edited:

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

Thanks man you saved me the searching while I'm not yet home!
I figured out a way to root this thing using a combination of these guides that relatively made it simpler(basically how you usually root a device using fastboot and adb) cause some parts just didn't work the first time for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: DjBastard

anjo88

Nov 26, 2010
Seixal
Reverting to stock:
-Unzip the Firmware you have downloaded(make sure that's the correct version for you) to the root of your sdcard.
-Install the update, it will revert to that stock ROM. In the process relocking the bootloader and flashing all stock images.

if I unlock my bootloader and root my phone can i make it locked and un rooted again?:confused::confused:

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

But its not real relocked. So in a warranty case asus would see that the device was unlocked...

Technically you're right.
But the tech at Asus has to do extra work to see whether you have previously unlocked it.
Its not like nexus device or other bootloaders where it will display the bootloader as "re-locked"
And "fastboot oem relock" doesnt work

--a3pz0--

Feb 11, 2010
Technically you're right.
But the tech at Asus has to do extra work to see whether you have previously unlocked it.
Its not like nexus device or other bootloaders where it will display the bootloader as "re-locked"
And "fastboot oem relock" doesnt work

you are right. Anyway if you live in Europe root doesn't void your warranty. :)

http://piana.eu/root

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

Exactly. Here in Manila they do honor it(maybe depending on the situation, meltdown in mind).
As long as they saw the warranty card they just accept and do it. But they charge cause parts get shipped.
Minor problems they don't charge.. I think.. way back tf101

darkvice01

Jan 29, 2011

Exactly. Here in Manila they do honor it(maybe depending on the situation, meltdown in mind).
As long as they saw the warranty card they just accept and do it. But they charge cause parts get shipped.
Minor problems they don't charge.. I think.. way back tf101

So 2 of us now have this gadget in the country.. :)

Sent from my PadFone 2 using xda premium

Reactions: walaway

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

Cool stuff! But mine is a HK version.. the seller ships frkm HK

darkvice01

Jan 29, 2011

Cool stuff! But mine is a HK version.. the seller ships frkm HK

That's better than starhub.. Got mine in SG.. If you don't mined me asking.. How much did you pay for tax?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

That's better than starhub.. Got mine in SG.. If you don't mined me asking.. How much did you pay for tax?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Got it from widget city when thet went 5k off. Total of 31.5 straight

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

Looks like apps are separately ran through the pad and the phone

robertforapps

Aug 3, 2012
It is a great post for padfone 2 users

If there is a development of virtual key function like nexus series, it will make padfone 2 better for me.

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

well there hasn't been any tweaks and mods as of yet. We need developer attention!

Sent from my PadFone 2 using XDA Premium HD app

[zozi]

Jul 10, 2007
Porto
the LG Optimus G E973 have the same hardware then padfone2?

we need start something, like compare the devices and test something!

Last edited:

walaway

Jul 3, 2011
Manila

the LG Optimus G E973 have the same hardware then padfone2?

we need start something, like compare the devices and test something!

Will go and look this up if so. But the padfone mainly needs an official custom recovery to start rom cooking

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a general index and howto's and sources of development related stuff for the Asus Padfone2 A68. I do not own or take credit for anything that has been done for this device, I am merely a tester and user

We are looking for ROM chefs!

See post #2 for if all else fails solution
    See post #3 for Mods made by this thread's community and other incoming Mods that would be made available

Available tools:

Remember to turn on USB debugging":
    *Settings>Developer Options>Tick on>Tick on debugging*

Fastboot and ADB drivers (We have a plethora of these thru xda or external google search)
    -I prefer putting the unzipped packages to a personal folder on your desktop or a specific location of your choice. i.e. "D:\mydevfolder"
    -Most of the files that would require fastboot and/or adb commands should be unzipped to that same location for access.

ASUS USB Drivers HERE
    -To install, let the computer detect your device. Open device manager and choose the Asus android adb blahblah device. Update the driver and browse manually to where you put the driver folder. This should allow you to use fastboot and adb properly.

Unlock.APK HERE under Utilities
    -Copy this to your phone and sideload. If prompted to turn of security, do so.

Latest Firmware HERE under Firmware and look for the correct version( WWE, TW, HK, ETC)
    -This is for reverting back to stock which will wipe the smartphone clean including re-lock of the bootloader("fastboot oem lock" does not work)

insecure JB and/or ICS images on the same post here
    -Depending on your current version you may need to flash one of the other img's

One click SUPERBOOT for Windows/Mac/Linux http://www.modaco.com/topic/360416-superboot-padfone-2-root-solution/
    -Should be the easiest way to root
    -Unlock bootloader> boot to bootloader > run batch file

****************De-odexed stock ROM here and here links will be changed when updates are made :)

CHANGE SKU](Firmware version) WWE-TW-HK-JP
    -Instructions and original thread here thanks to gsep

Another method that I have tested as such:
    *Make sure to flash superboot first*
    -Install/Flash TWRP custom recovery
    -Download desired stock ROM from Asus
    -Put the OTA.zip or the whole extracted folder to your sdcard
    -Reboot to TWRP
    -Install OTA.zip
    -Wipe cache and dalvik cache
    -reboot and profit
    -A factory settings is recommended after flashing stock ROM, so backup :)

TWRP 2.4.3.0 custom recovery
    -via Goo Manager from the Playstore or here
    -TWRP site here
    -or here
    ALL CREDITS GO TO Dees_troy of TWRP

CWM here

How-to unlock bootloader:
    *I strongly recommend backing up*
    1. Copy the UnLock.apk you have downloaded and paste it on your sdcard(anywhere you would be able to navigate to using at least the stock File Manager)
    2. Install the app. If prompted that unknown sources is disabled, simply enable it.
    3. Run the app after installation
    4. A few notices/disclaimers will be displayed pertaining to the warranty upon unlocking. You will be prompted to type in your google account password if you have one logged on the device(will need internet connection if so).
    5. The device will reboot and your bootloader should be unlocked and you will be able to reboot to the bootloader. You will not be able to receive OTA.
    -To know that it is successful, type in "adb reboot-bootloader" when the devices fully boots up. The bootloader looks like the Splashscreen with "Fastboot Mode!!" on top.

How-to-gain-root
    Since CWM and TWRP offers to root your device if it detects that it has not been rooted, simply flash your custom recovery, boot to it, and then reboot to system. It should ask to root your system

VIDEO ON HOW TO ROOT THE PADFONE 2 here (this is old and I need to update this video)

ROM.zip installation
    -copy your ROM.zip to your SDcard
    -reboot to your custom recovery
    -install ROM.zip
    -wipe cache and dalvik cache
    -reboot

Revert to Stock ROM: (ALL)

SOURCES:
    MoDaCo forum here
    Padfoneclub forum here
    XDA posts/sources are already linked above

Lots of thanks to:

Dees_troy of TWRP for the Custom Recovery
    ASUS for the cool device
    PaulOBrien for all the contributions. ROM/Recovery/Root
    Chainfire
    Ivalex for the guide. If I missed the real OP for this guide please PM me so I can properly thank you.
    harpik3d and DooMLoRD for the init.d scripts support guides and methods
    The Padfoneclub forums

*Please do remind me if I missed anything*

In case of distaster
    In case that you've bricked your phone and you can't mount on your custom recovery

-Reboot to bootloader
    -Flash stock recovery(It's up there you should be able to find it) "fastboot flash recovery *stockrecovery.img*"
    -"fastboot erase cache"
    -Boot to your stock recovery
    -Sideload ROM to /cache
    -install ROM via cache
    *you may have to flash insecure boot.img again

Thanks to DjBastard

*I did something like this but I'm always messy so I don't recall the right steps*

MODS!

BATTERY MOD
    By Lidenburg Download link
    -Thank you

ALL IN ONE SCRIPT: By Lidenburg again
    Here is his thread

Animation Mod reportedly working well for the Padfone2(the risk is yours)
    check out the thread here
    -make sure to do a nandroid backup

DjBastard's Mods:
    DjBastard said:
    pruebaaaa.jpg

Download mod

Instructions:

1. De-odexed stock ROM install.
    2. boot en CMW
    3. Flash Bastard!! battery-mod.zip & wipe cache!
    4. Boot

For use with all in one Padfone 2 of Ludenburg

Set within the framework folder:

Download framework mod

Madcow's Battery Mod:
    Madcow29 said:

huzz107's Battery mod:
    here
    and his Icon mods here
    Hi Peeps!Here I'm sharing my mod that will make the Statusbar go to almost Green.. BAtt, Wifi, Signal and a few major icons like Bluetooth,GPS,ADB.. I hope it'll give a smile to some.. Hitting the Thanks Button will be much appreciated and will be a motivation for me.. Please back it up just in case..

Screenshots

DOWNLOAD LINK

ENJOY!!

HUZZLER

Some scripts for turbo boosting:
    4CylTurboNos:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2158329

CrossBreeder:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113150

Please note that turbo NOS is stable and CrossBreeder is NOT... But its working for me as you can see from entropy test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71neaku5vwsxub4/Screenshot_2013-04-17-11-18-01.jpg

ziiHelmet said:

ziiHelmet's Battery mods:
    ziiHelmet said:
    Well what you get?

You get modded notification drawer, only thing what is seeing is that theres no stupid seperator bar :good:
    attachment.php

Centered clock in tablet and phone, also custom battery icons in tablet i have made all icons and in phone I just used somebody's offcenter icon!
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

download link

MIUI Battery bar Mod by Lidenburg
    Here! new version with bug fixes

Well it offers the following:

Lowest CPU frequency set to 192mhz
    CPU frequency locked to 192mhz-1512mhz during boot
    Undervolted to save power & reduce heat
    Undervolt interface (compatible with System Tuner, Kernel Tuner, etc)
    Additional CPU Governors: Wheatley, InteractiveX v2
    Set InteractiveX v2 CPU Governor to default instead of Performance, to lower battery consumption, maintain snappy performance, and improve GPU normal freq set to 128mhz to lower battery usage (will still scale upto 487mhz when busy)
    Simple IO Scheduler (SIO) added, and set as default
    Increased min/max read-ahead values from 16/128 to 32/1024
    USB FastCharge upto 1400mA (enable using Kernel Tuner, sysfs, etc)
    OC version: Overclocking upto 1.72ghz for a bit faster performance
    OC version: GPU overclock to 487mhz

I'll leave it up to others to determine whether those features are of any benefit to them, but personally, any one of those features is beneficial to me. They're features I've appreciated from custom kernels on other phones, that's why I built the Stone kernel for PF2. There are people that have been using it for a month now, so I think it's safe to say initial testing is complete.

ASUS Padfone 2 custom kernel - "Stone" - v0.4
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2231648

Keyboard Mod:
    ziiHelmet said:
    PFKBS - Padfone keyboard swither!!!

Are you tired to change keyboard always when you plug or unplug the padfone from station, that time is past now, solution is PFKBS!!!
    Here it is the must to have app to Padfone2 (and maybe 1), the Padfone Keyboard Switcher! Need root!

App just start and you can choose the keyboards to tablet and to phone, and then you just start using what u just do!

Example, if you love the AOSP keybard on Phone, and Swype in tablet you just select those keyboards! This app switches keyboards without any prompt or any questions, only thing you need is a root rights.

App is only beta and I hope that you will report bugs you find!

I want to know if someone test this app on Padfone1 and report will it work! PF1 users must open zip and put only pfkbs.apk to system/app, do not flash the zip! Are you tired to change keyboard always when you plug or unplug the padfone from station, that time is past now, solution is PFKBS!!!

Padfone Keyboard Switcher Thread
    Well what you get?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Edit:
    Sorry i forgotted add the download link
    Modified 10.4.15.1-0 update

Okey since the new update from Asus is out I did what had to be done and rooted, deodexed, zipaligned, partially debloated and added busybox to it.

To install it simply put it on your sdcard and flash it (may want to wipe cache and dalvik cache just to be sure).

I removed the following apps:
    HTML:
    Asus pad tutorial
    Asus reader
    Asus setup wizard
    Buddy Buzz
    Chrome
    Facebook poster (?)
    Kindle
    My bit cast
    My net
    PC Sync